As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Democracy on the [chat]

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Mim wrote: »
    [chat], how does one go about becoming a bartender? I mean, can go to go those bar schools and would that help or do you HAVE to work in a bar as an apprentice first and become one that way (as my ex kept saying)?

I think you go to bartending school and then you get stuck working as a barback for years.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    [chat], how does one go about becoming a bartender? I mean, can go to go those bar schools and would that help or do you HAVE to work in a bar as an apprentice first and become one that way (as my ex kept saying)?

I think you go to bartending school and then you get stuck working as a barback for years.

yeah, see my ex used to go "THEY'RE SCAMS. YOU CAN'T BECOME A BARTENDER THAT WAY"

Well, yeah you need to know people, but bartending school can help that, I'd think.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Open your own bar. No one's going to tell you you can't be a bartender if you're the fucking boss.

sig.gif
  • Options

yeah, see my ex used to go "THEY'RE SCAMS. YOU CAN'T BECOME A BARTENDER THAT WAY"

Well, yeah you need to know people, but bartending school can help that, I'd think.

I don't know if they'd even let you be a barback without going to bartending school.

It's basically like, a lot more people want to be bartenders than there are bartender jobs, it seems.

• Options
    I guess one of my friends became a bartender from working at a restaurant, eventually getting promoted to barback there, and then bartender there, and then using that on his resume to transfer to be a bartender at a nice restaurant.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I met three girls I know and haven't met for a long time today!

two of whom I haven't seen in years, one of whom I got to talk to for a looong time and who has basically been my neighbour for like forever and currently lives in the city I'm gonna live in come autumn

the third is my mate's (said mate with whom I had a Big Lebowski and white russians vorspiel with today) girlfriend who I used to be really in love with

and still sort of am. Or, like, not really in love, but she's still as awesome as she ever was and still as hot as she ever was. Hotter, even, since she changed her haircut recently.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Mim, knowing you, I'd have to say being a bartender would either be the worst idea you've ever had or the best idea you've ever had. No middle ground.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Maybe I should just watch a movie. I mean, I literally have nothing else to do right now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    going to bartender school sounds like a nice idea.

My impression is A. You have to know people B. without bartender school, knowing people is gonna get you a DJ gig and that's it.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I went to bartender school.

Failed the final exam.

Worked as a bartender later that summer (at a crummy family restaurant pouring beer and making margaritas).

T'was not as sexy as seen on TV. :P

• Options
    Mim, knowing you, I'd have to say being a bartender would either be the worst idea you've ever had or the best idea you've ever had. No middle ground.

I'm gonna bet on the second option

bars needs eyecandy to occupy people while they're waiting for their drinks

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Open your own bar. No one's going to tell you you can't be a bartender if you're the fucking boss.

depends are we talking more like cheers or more sunny in philadelphia

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

depends are we talking more like cheers or more sunny in philadelphia

as long as you're not the one doing charlie work you're good

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

how would it be the worst idea

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I'm gonna bet on the second option

bars needs eyecandy to occupy people while they're waiting for their drinks

Our hostess was super hot.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I presume we're distinguishing "working as a bartender" from "working in a bar".

My experience has been that it's easy enough to do the latter, but it's pretty shitty and the pay is terrible.

Working in a classy place that does cocktails and such (as opposed to a place whose mainstays are generic lager and jack & coke) is probably more pleasant.

• Options

...Wait you can't see why?

Man.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if it's possible to crop a dog's ears later in life? Like 5 years old?

My dog has almost nonstop ear infections because his ears are huge and hold in tons of moisture. We can't keep feeding him antibiotics for years and the ear drops to disinfect and clean out his ears do nothing.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCIaj-oLi28

Susanne Sundfør is still awesome, btw.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

...Wait you can't see why?

Man.

If you can't see why, I am erring on the side of worst idea.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Join a server in BF3... take a few points... see heli with a squadmate in it, spawn... killed by admin. Kicked from server. He wanted his friend in the heli...

Join another server... jump in the LAV, go to a flag, shoot two guys... killed by admin. "No vehicles loser, you suck at the game."

God damn the patch has brought out the stupid.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    japan wrote: »
    I presume we're distinguishing "working as a bartender" from "working in a bar".

My experience has been that it's easy enough to do the latter, but it's pretty shitty and the pay is terrible.

Working in a classy place that does cocktails and such (as opposed to a place whose mainstays are generic lager and jack & coke) is probably more pleasant.

Well said.

BUT

My crummy bar had a pirate statue. So...

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Aren't you getting a fancy pants college degree from Temple?

• Options
    I would love Mim as a bartender

Mim ignore DT and Inqui they are being negative nancies

drunk abdh has all the life advice you need

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Abdh.

No sir.

We abbreviate you to Abd, you hear?

NO HANGING Hs!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    alright alright

I yield

abd or abby only

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdh.

No sir.

We abbreviate you to Abd, you hear?

NO HANGING Hs!

The hanging h makes it classy.

• Options
    The other problem is that if the lager and jack type places have decent staff they tend to be a pretty tight-knit crew that have worked there forever. It's tough to break into that because if they find themselves a person short they generally already know someone that could pick up the work.

The other kind of lager and jack place has horrific staff turnover because they're intolerably shitty places to work for anyone but the desperate.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwYDcIf4KwM&list=FLTeq0ER6bNGWmtLmAemQCfQ&index=3&feature=plpp_video

bigger lies

bigger lie-es

bigger lie

god it's a lie

YOU'RE THE CRAZY MAMA BUT I LOVE YOU SO

YOU'RE THE MISS OSAMA I CAN'T LET YOU GO

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    i am also drunk, and I too think Mim would be a great bartender, just knock em dead girl

I believe in you

I was at probably stockholms worst club tonight

I mean this place used to be trashy and full of barely 18s but tonight iit was way more shit than usual

So we bailed and bought hotdogs and walked through Old Town discussing politiics, so it was ok

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I wish I were drunk.

• Options
    Oh my god there is no legitimate information about ear cropping on the internet. Google has been totally flooded by morons ranting that it is cruelty.

Yes people, it will hurt the dog, it will be in pain for a while. And then it will heal and it will be totally fine! Inflicting a small amount of pain that doesn't do any actual harm is not unethical!

• Options

I am! Graduate May 10th with a degree in English and a minor in Art, but I know that getting a job is going to be rough so I want to have more skills.

And @Disco Terrier no, I don't. Why don't you just say it instead of being cryptic? :P

• Options
    Sparvy wrote: »
    i am also drunk, and I too think Mim would be a great bartender, just knock em dead girl

I believe in you

I mean this place used to be trashy and full of barely 18s but tonight iit was way more shit than usual

So we bailed and bought hotdogs and walked through Old Town discussing politiics, so it was ok

I would be so down for a political hotdog walkabout.

• Options
    Sparvy wrote: »

I believe in you

I was also at a shitty bar tonight!

We only went there because we met two girls we knew from way back at the bus stop and I convinced my mate to go for one drink atleast

they'd quit their karaoke bullshit atleast but they were still shit. So we left.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Moving down south has been a bit of an experience in terms of amazingly shitty drinking establishments.

Glasgow City Council runs its licensing board with an iron fist, and has absolutely no qualms about pulling licenses from places for any of a huge list of reasons. Too many police callouts, a drug raid, complaints from residents about noise at chucking out time, etc.

I was really surprised to discover that there are places here that are routinely raided for drugs, yet are still inexplicably allowed to remain open.

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Maybe I should just watch a movie. I mean, I literally have nothing else to do right now.

I'm watching the documentary Senna. It's really good.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    The oldest strip club in town is pretty gross and has a drug bust once a year or two. They get shut down as a penalty for a couple weeks then back to normal.

• Options

I am! Graduate May 10th with a degree in English and a minor in Art, but I know that getting a job is going to be rough so I want to have more skills.

And @Disco Terrier no, I don't. Why don't you just say it instead of being cryptic? :P

A lot of the reasons have been said in this page, but also there's the thing about basically being stuck in a retail job with extra sleaze for years and also how your personality doesn't seem to lend itself well to dealing with a job where you'll have to interact with people often at their worst. I mean there are ways it can end up good but this is a very likely scenario.

yGxvf.png
This discussion has been closed.