As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Talka wrote: »
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    The Mountain is fucking boring now, really really wish Conan Stevens wouldn't have bailed. He was perfect.

Oh, the actor changed? I thought something weird was going on there ("Is that not the mountain? Why does this show have two ridiculously huge mountain-like characters?")

Bummer about the change. The Mountain from the first season's jousting scene was freaking awesome.

He got cast as an orc warlord in The Hobbit movies or something, and thought that would be better for his career or sommat?

With the amount of face time he's getting on GoT I'm sure he could have managed both.

IcdplGM.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Talka wrote: »
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    The Mountain is fucking boring now, really really wish Conan Stevens wouldn't have bailed. He was perfect.

Oh, the actor changed? I thought something weird was going on there ("Is that not the mountain? Why does this show have two ridiculously huge mountain-like characters?")

Bummer about the change. The Mountain from the first season's jousting scene was freaking awesome.

He got cast as an orc warlord in The Hobbit movies or something, and thought that would be better for his career or sommat?
    Maybe he's trying to be the Andy Sirkus of Predator movies.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on the weird nun ladies tending the dead and wounded with Robb's men and with carrying Ned's remains at Renly's camp?

I don't recall them being so much as referenced on the show before now.

Spoilered on the very bizzare but possible chance that someone in this thread hasn't seen Season 1.
    They've never been explained in detail, but I noticed in the first season they were the ones standing vigil over Jon Aryn's (the murdered hand before Ned) body in the very first episode. I suspect they're some kind of religious order who deal with the recently deceased for whatever reason.

I know this is the no book thread but these are mentioned in the extras on the HBO website. I will still spoiler it for those who wish to skip it.
    They are the Silent Sisters. They are essentially the nun/death rite individuals of the major religion in Westeros the Seven. They are called the silent sisters because they have their tongues removed and are centerpiece in the funeral procedures in the books. I also say they are nuns essentially because they take vows of celibacy etc.

• GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It'd be nice to see a little more of
    The Hound this season. It was interesting to see him wincing at Sansa's beating, and then later, he seemed genuinely happy for Joffrey, like, "Hey, go on in! You've got a nice surprise in there!" And then...yeah, fucking Joffrey. That kid is just evil to the core. Nothing redeeming about him at all.

Grombar on
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    Grombar wrote: »
    The Hound this season. It was interesting to see him wincing at Sansa's beating, and then later, he seemed genuinely happy for Joffrey, like, "Hey, go on in! You've got a nice surprise in there!" And then...yeah, fucking Joffrey. That kid is just evil to the core. Nothing redeeming about him at all.

a1ZES.gif
    tumblr_m0pdcgjDku1qlglheo2_r1_250.gif

IcdplGM.png
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Is it me, or is Davos rowing the wrong way for the vessel to be moving at the end?

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Is it me, or is Davos rowing the wrong way for the vessel to be moving at the end?

I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, but yes, yes, he is. Or more properly, he's rowing correctly, but he's facing fore instead of aft, so he's actually rowing away from the shore.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, that's what I meant. It's kind of obvious that they're in a special effects boat from the background, like a car ride in most TV shows, but it isn't nearly as glaring unless you pay attention to his fucked-up hands. I thought it was pretty cool that they finally addressed that, as an aside. When he's holding up the lantern, you can clearly see his sewn-down gloves.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I feel that while Joffreys scene was disturbing, it wasnt unecessarily so, and it wasnt just to show he was a 'dick'. There was huge tension there, and I actually was concerned for the lives of the whores, as we've met them a lot before, so its not like it was just showing it for gratuitous effect, there was a level of emotional investment involved. Most importantly however it showed that Joffrey is growing angry at trying to be controlled, hes lashing out at Tyrion, so it furthers that plot thread for viewers. I mean I guess we could say its an unecessary reminder given what he did with Ned, but I felt it showed him maturing from petulant boy playing at king (with Ned), to a man (or teen, but there arent really 'teens' as a group in medieval thought and culture) using his malice and power to strike out at others who try to smother/control him.

Basically im saying im sure he got sick pleasure out of it, but it was largely a message for Tyrion and a response to what Tyrion is doing. Which I thought was great, because while Tyrion may be smart enough to play the 'game' and not get hurt, it doesnt mean his moves and machinations dont get others hurt.

Prohass on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I wouldn't dispute that the scene had a narrative purpose; I'm just saying that I can only take so much stomach-wrenching viewing at a time. I'm hoping that in the future it's more sparing than it was this episode.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The stuff at Harrenhal was worse, as far as I'm concerned. I can deal with beatings, but ::shudder::

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So, finally getting around to watching the Blu-ray extras.

These are....really good at infodumping history in short periods of time. Might suggest that we watch these to my HBO-watching crew.

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    The Mountain's turned into The Stick Figure.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Rats.

That's an...interesting way to execute someone.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    edited April 2012
    What makes it worse, is that it is an actual real-world historical form of torture. I think the Inquisition used it, though I might be mistaken.

They should've put the mountain in different clothes, wearing Lannister uniform kinda made him look like just another soldier, a lanky soldier. I know there'd be no reason for him to be in armour, but maybe 'armour-like' clothes, like with shoulder pauldrens or something.

Prohass on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    What makes it worse, is that it is an actual real-world historical form of torture. I think the Inquisition used it, though I might be mistaken.

They should've put the mountain in different clothes, wearing Lannister uniform kinda made him look like just another soldier, a lanky soldier. I know there'd be no reason for him to be in armour, but maybe 'armour-like' clothes, like with shoulder pauldrens or something.

Man..shit.
    I don't know if the fact that it was actually used should make me feel better..if the alternative was that some writer / George R.R. Martin came up with it.

Disturbing either way!

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Not a fan of the new Mountain.

Nothing against the new guy, but I liked the older guy better.

Its the kind of thing where you see it and go, surely that wouldnt work, thats the exageration of some perverse writer! But yeah, rats dont wanna die and will chew through whatever they can to not die. And they can chew threw fleshy stomachs well.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    In general it's a good idea not to read about medieval torture methods, because people are way too smart when it comes to being awful

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Not a fan of the new Mountain.

Nothing against the new guy, but I liked the older guy better.

Yeah. Honestly, if the Mountain survives long enough, I want Conan Stevens to come back when he's done with the Hobbit. Either that, or give the new guy the old armor.

Very good episode otherwise. I almost had to skip the part with Ros (because it was seriously disturbing, not because of my previously-discussed dislike of the character).

• NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    This episode was pretty great! The only thing I didn't like was - as many other have said - the new actor for the Mountain. He's got no mass to him, no presence. All the other Lannister goons in Harrenhal were more intimidating (the douchebag guard, and especially the creepy torturer), but he just looked kind of awkward and gangly. Speaking of Harrenhal, it looked amazing, so huge and desolate - way better than anything I'd pictured.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Tywin again too. I wouldn't say his one of my favourite characters, but he's certainly interesting. That scene really showed that he's pragmatic and very clever, which are the two things I've always admired about him.

There were some great lines in this episode too..."Born amidst salt and smoke - is he a ham?" cracked me up. Actually, most of Renly's little zingers made me laugh.
    Lastly, sweet merciful crapshoot the shadow creature was terrifying. I loved how it looked insubstantial and smokey at first, then got more solid and sinewy. Topnotch effects there.

• Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    The Mountain's turned into The Stick Figure.

No no, Something mountain-height but skinny, The Tower.
    Kana wrote: »
    In general it's a good idea not to read about medieval torture methods, because people are way too smart when it comes to being awful

Thumbscrews for a start, I don't see a single thumbscrew, they don't have the balls to use them!

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The new Mountain reminds me of one of the Knights who say Ni.

This is not a good thing.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Grombar wrote: »

That scene made my girlfriend cry.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    Stupid boards.

Vanguard on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I didn't even realize that was the Mountain.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I think that Ros hasn't had any nudity this season... and she looks a little different from first season; I wonder if she's pregnant. Or maybe Esmé Bianco is pregnant. The former would be intriguing while the latter would explain why Ros suddenly got a more "madame" role in the brothel.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

Same. I missed him completely. I miss the old Mountain already.

• YarYar Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Someone explain about the Joffrey scene:
    Was the Baratheon scepter supposed to be a club to beat her with or was it intended to be...inserted?

Hit with. Though I'm not sure one is better than the other.

I thought the latter was implied pretty heavily.

It seemed like it was going in the direction of the latter, but then I wasn't sure because all we saw was the former--which I was thankful for, because as-is I could barely stomach it. I really hope that future episodes aren't this gristly. I'll have to start skipping through if they lean any harder on the torture, which would be unfortunate, since skipping through ruins the dramatic structure and this is a pretty great show. Still, there's only so much I can deal with watching.

I gather that they intended you to imagine the latter, but weren't going to actually go there on TV, not even on HBO. Point being that in case you were still thinking he was a kindly young do-gooder, you were wrong, Joff is a sadistic freak.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

That's because it wasn't the mountain. Not the mountain we all know and love anyway. I doubt that guy could decapitate a my little pony figure, let alone a massive horse.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Like all'y'all I was disappointed in the recasting of the Mountain. He's just an unnaturally tall dude now, not an unnaturally tall dude with shoulders like whoa. No mass, no presence, just height.

And did the Joffrey scene seem superfluous to anyone else? It only served to show him being a sadistic twat, when he just got done being a sadistic twat in the preceding scene.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Like all'y'all I was disappointed in the recasting of the Mountain. He's just an unnaturally tall dude now, not an unnaturally tall dude with shoulders like whoa. No mass, no presence, just height.

And did the Joffrey scene seem superfluous to anyone else? It only served to show him being a sadistic twat, when he just got done being a sadistic twat in the preceding scene.

It showed Tyrion's concern and attempt to address the issue.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Eurgh those Joffrey scenes. Never before have I wanted to slap the shit out of a fictional character so badly.

Who are the guys that
    captured Arya? They working for Joffrey? I thought the Mountain was an enemy of the kingdom now, so why's he care who got the not-really-dead guy out of the city?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant

We need to see him being a sadistic twat to smallfolk as well as other nobles. He could have a purpose in the game for
    publically humilating Sansa
    , but there's literally no good reason for him to
    mess up the whores that Tyrion sent to stabilize his fluid levels.

• Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I meant. It's kind of obvious that they're in a special effects boat from the background, like a car ride in most TV shows, but it isn't nearly as glaring unless you pay attention to his fucked-up hands.
    Just from watching the part where it cuts to them in closeup, it didn't even look as if they were moving. Bobbing yes, actually going in a direction, no.

• GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    Eurgh those Joffrey scenes. Never before have I wanted to slap the shit out of a fictional character so badly.

Who are the guys that
    captured Sansa? They working for Joffrey? I thought the Mountain was an enemy of the kingdom now, so why's he care who got the not-really-dead guy out of the city?
    To answer that in two parts:

The guys who captured Arya work for Tywin Lannister. The torturers are part of a mercenary outfit called the Brave Companions (aka the Bloody Mummers), if I remember the lore correctly.

The Mountain works for Tywin too, so when Ned declared the Mountain a public enemy, Tywin told him, "j/k, you can still work for me; just keep doing what I say."

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    When did they cast a new Mountain? I didnt realize we had a new one til i read this thread.

When did they cast a new Mountain? I didnt realize we had a new one til i read this thread.

For the second season. Old guy got a job on the Hobbit movie. He also had a gig on Spartacus.

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

I thought it played as more deliberate malice (with a definite sexual-sadism streak) and less like a tantrum. I thought it served the narrative role of showing Joffrey as dangerous and cruel in a way not excusable as childishness; he's growing up into a real monster.

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the weird nun ladies tending the dead and wounded with Robb's men and with carrying Ned's remains at Renly's camp?

I don't recall them being so much as referenced on the show before now.

Spoilered on the very bizzare but possible chance that someone in this thread hasn't seen Season 1.
    They've never been explained in detail, but I noticed in the first season they were the ones standing vigil over Jon Aryn's (the murdered hand before Ned) body in the very first episode. I suspect they're some kind of religious order who deal with the recently deceased for whatever reason.

I know this is the no book thread but these are mentioned in the extras on the HBO website. I will still spoiler it for those who wish to skip it.
    They are the Silent Sisters. They are essentially the nun/death rite individuals of the major religion in Westeros the Seven. They are called the silent sisters because they have their tongues removed and are centerpiece in the funeral procedures in the books. I also say they are nuns essentially because they take vows of celibacy etc.

Sidenote:
    They were referenced by Tyrion when he was playing the "guessing game" in the tent with Bronn and Shae near the end of Season 1. "I don't think the life of the Silent Sisters is for you" etc. Also, when Ser Hugh of the Vale was killed in the tournament, Ned entered the tent where they were fixing up his corpse and remarked something like "You've done fine work, Sisters."

Far as I know these are the only instances where they're referred to by name.

And yes, I didn't even realize that guy was the Mountain until I re-watched the episode. That's a shame. A damn shame.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
This discussion has been closed.