As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

this is the save toonami thread for babbys check OP for details you candycorns

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Shorty wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    shut up about japanimation

thread's now about kung fu movies and why the newer stuff out of thailand and indonesia fucking RULES

I haven't seen remotely enough kung fu flicks

what should a dude who's only ever seen Drunken Master and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon watch

ong bak: thai warrior

the protector/tom yum goong

chocolate

bangkok knockout

merantau

these are all the newer stuff that i was talking about because they all fucking rule (no special effects, no cgi, no stunt doubles, it's all people that actually do martial arts (mostly muay thai) beating the living shit out of each other)

for older stuff you absolutely have to see the 36th chamber of shaolin, probably the best kung fu movie ever made

Buttlord on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    and the episode whjere aster dies for astro boy what are you doing toonami why are you trying so hard to shit on my heart

Man, that was dark for it's day. Kid straight up dies, then his dad goes full mad scientist to bring him back, as a robot.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular

thread's now about kung fu movies and why the newer stuff out of thailand and indonesia fucking RULES

what should a dude who's only ever seen Drunken Master and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon watch

Ip Man, Iron Monkey, Once Upon a Time in China

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    FCD wrote: »
    and the episode whjere aster dies for astro boy what are you doing toonami why are you trying so hard to shit on my heart

Man, that was dark for it's day. Kid straight up dies, then his dad goes full mad scientist to bring him back, as a robot.

and then he sells him! while he begs him not to

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular

damn astro's dad is a real prick

WHY WON'T YOU GROW GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE

• Options
    i do not like ip man

wirework bugs me

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    balerbower wrote: »

Ip Man, Iron Monkey, Once Upon a Time in China

ooo, I've heard REALLY good things about Ip Man

• Options

ong bak: thai warrior

the protector/tom yum goong

chocolate

bangkok knockout

merantau

these are all the newer stuff that i was talking about because they all fucking rule (no special effects, no cgi, no stunt doubles, it's all people that actually do martial arts (mostly muay thai) beating the living shit out of each other)

for older stuff you absolutely have to see the 36th chamber of shaolin, probably the best kung fu movie ever made

thanks bud

• Options
    FCD wrote: »

and then he sells him! while he begs him not to

I really am surprised they let this much stay in the American version of the show. I'm just so used to anime pre-90s being bowderlized a lot.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

damn astro's dad is a real prick

WHY WON'T YOU GROW GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE

Is this as much as we see him in the original anime because he was pretty important in the modern-day version.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular

It certainly doesn't rule for the stuntmen with a lack of worker protections as they're actually kicked 2 stories off a building before they plummet into hard ground.

awww yes harem anime

femininity caricatured and without any impeding characteristics of self-possession or will for my mastubatory pleasure

Have you seen School Days?

Great deconstruction of harem.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    i do not like ip man

wirework bugs me

I don't like it either

Hey extras y'all stand still while I punch you two dozen times

and then finally fall down

Now we'll do that through every fight scene, hooooray

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Oh, also for kung fu movies, just imdb jackie chan, scroll down to legend of drunken master, and then watch all his movies from around that time period
    They are still just the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffnGCuuCa4I

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    B:L wrote: »

It certainly doesn't rule for the stuntmen with a lack of worker protections as they're actually kicked 2 stories off a building before they plummet into hard ground.

no but my god is it fun to watch

i mean tony jaa set his pants on fire and kicked dudes

and his pants were actually on fire

and he didn't give a fuck

Buttlord on
  • Options
    i do not like ip man

wirework bugs me

eh, yeah, i can see that

wirework, when done in a shoddy way, can look pretty artificial and, ironically, cheaper than bare-knuckle choreography

but like any new technological development, wirework expands on possibilities. there are great choreographers out there who know how to use it right. i thought ip man was a solid example of this.

• Options
    you know who rules/ruled

jet li

unleashed is fucking great

any movie that has the build to what appears to be a badass scene and then ends it in three punches is a great movie (ong bak did it with one kick to the chest)

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Welp rewatching the new Evangelion movies

uuuughhhhh soooo gooooooood

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    awww yes harem anime

femininity caricatured and without any impeding characteristics of self-possession or will for my mastubatory pleasure

Have you seen School Days?

Great deconstruction of harem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwDYgwePKBA

• Options
    Oh, also

Bestest fight scene ever done that's not drunken master?

Quite Possibly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq6T9u9LReg

• Options
    one of my absolute favorite fight scenes ever is the climactic fight in the protector/tom yum goong

because you see tony jaa just check the fuck out and start snapping everyone's limbs

and it's just so fucking mean and angry and it fits perfectly with the story of a guardian finding that he's failed at his job and punishing those responsible

also at one point in the movie he jumps up and kicks out a streetlight

and that's pretty fucking impressive

• Options
    astro boy just shoved his finger in a robot's ass to recharge it

never change, japan

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    astro's voice is just so precious

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

never change, japan

Well you know what he has in his own ass, right?

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

Kung Fu Hustle.

Basically a kung fu/wuxia parody that is really fun to watch, and funny as hell.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    sabremau you are brilliant in a way, but sometimes i feel like you're autistic or something

like, i can't really detect a full individual, in a social sense, behind your posts

you operate on an encyclopedic knowledge of the internet and can only communicate in such. no offense intended, just my observation. i'm kinda buzzed, too.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

never change, japan

Well you know what he has in his own ass, right?

it's a gun, isn't it?

• Options
    here this is literally the best scene in the protector

one long continuous shot

almost 10 minutes long

tony jaa just wrecking bitches the whole way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVyfmeyO898

• Options
    It's got a couple of hidden cuts, but

It really is such an awesome set for a fight scene

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Kana wrote: »
    off the top of my head

a study of animation through the lens of feminist critique

anime, at its worst, panders to the male-perverse

western animation, at its worst, panders to the male-impotent

Y/N?

Eh, it's really a mistake to even try to critique a medium

I mean obviously there's some, like, really really goddamn big sexism problems in a lot of anime

But then there's also a very large market of female writers writing for female audiences as well (which themselves can have a lot of issues).

And there's a fair amount of LGBT themes that actual get a real discussion in mainstream manga and anime and have really yet to be touched by American animators at all.

I mean Hourou Musoku's a story about an elementary school boy who wants to be a girl, and is a pretty realistic depiction of transgender issues (even though the adaptation isn't very good). And it aired on Fuji TV, a major network. I mean (portions of) America would freak the fuck out if that played on American TV.

So basically what I'm saying is it's pretty impossible to critique a medium.

I definitely like a show that focuses on well done women characters.

I have a gigantic nerd boner for Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit.

It follows a spearwoman named Balsa who is one of the most entertaining protagonists I've ever seen in an anime series. Very no nonsense, but level headed. She isn't bogged down by romance, although there is an obvious tension between her and a dude who knew her since they were both kids. It creates a couple awkward moments that are actually well done, and throw a nice hint at what might have been if things were different, without resorting to silly slapstick stuff. Great voice acting, a neat story that doesn't fall prey to many of the recurring elements that drag down a lot of cartoons.

Also, I should just say that it has top notch action sequences. Part of this is becasuethey don't have a lot of it, mostly becasue action always comes up as a means to resolve conflict, rather than just having it in for the sake of it. So it's seldom, and always good when it comes up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ7VPR0i85o

I found it on Adult Swim, a couple years ago. Just stumbled onto the middle of an episode late into the series, and I was mesmerized. Soon as the ep was over I went and found more episodes immediately. It's currently available, legally, both on YouTube and Netflix streaming. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes more mature shows.

Goatmon on

• Options
    The light novels Moribito is based on are really good as well, though I think only the first two have been translated into English.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Kana wrote: »
    It's got a couple of hidden cuts, but

It really is such an awesome set for a fight scene

that scene, the fifty-man fight, the final fights in chocolate

probably my favorite things in kung fu movies

or at least they will be until i see the raid: redemption

an indonesian movie made by a welshman who just fuckin loves doing movies with silat in them

seriously you watch this redband WARNING NSFW JUST IN CASE SERIOUSLY YO DUDE GETS SHOT IN THE DOME POINT BLANK and you tell me this movie isn't going to be fucking INCREDIBLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlmhMSnVdM

Buttlord on
  • Options
    The best part about this fight scene

is that Jackie SO OBVIOUSLY causes hundreds of dollars more damage than if he just let them rob the store

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds_-Gbs88eI

• Options
    i've heard so much about ong bak, but never checked it out

i mean, is it one of those movies where you just skip everything in between the fight scenes?

that's too much of a bother for me. i prefer watching kung fu movies that have more of a cohesive entertainment value, like, with humorous banter between master and disciple and whatnot.

• Options
    The Twelve Kingdoms is a great novel series, too.

The anime adaptation is pretty awesome, though I haven't watched it in ages.

The fifth novel should have come out in march of last year, but there's been no sign of it. Makes me sad.

• Options
    edited April 2012

i mean, is it one of those movies where you just skip everything in between the fight scenes?

that's too much of a bother for me. i prefer watching kung fu movies that have more of a cohesive entertainment value, like, with humorous banter between master and disciple and whatnot.

i enjoyed the hell out of ong bak as a whole the first time around

after that i've kinda jumped to fight scenes, but i need to just sit and watch it

ong bak (and the protector) are basically the same movie: small village has something stolen (statue/elephant, respectively), young man goes forth to get shit back and kicks ass along the way

enjoyable plot, goofy sidekicks (at least in ong bak, i've only seen the protector once or twice), and absolutely stone cold fight scenes

chocolate is absolutely fucking insane, it's about an autistic-spectrum girl who learns to do muay thai by watching dudes train out her window (and by watching ong bak)

at the end she fights a kid with tourettes doing capoeira

and that's like 15-20 minutes before the last fight scene ends

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Haha, I was JUST about to say that if you enjoyed Moribito, you should check out 12 kingdoms

It is just the best

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

Kung Fu Hustle.

Basically a kung fu/wuxia parody that is really fun to watch, and funny as hell.

oh, I've seen that

it was pretty good!

• Options
    once you get past chocolate, chronologically, you start to see a shift

where they've realized that what people really like about these movies is people doing insane things and kicking the shit out of people

and the plot gradually fades away until you're at Bangkok Knockout

which has about ten minutes of plot at the start, a million fights, and like fifteen minutes of plot spread between them

• Options

i enjoyed the hell out of ong bak as a whole the first time around

after that i've kinda jumped to fight scenes, but i need to just sit and watch it

ong bak (and the protector) are basically the same movie: small village has something stolen (statue/elephant, respectively), young man goes forth to get shit back and kicks ass along the way

enjoyable plot, goofy sidekicks (at least in ong bak, i've only seen the protector once or twice), and absolutely stone cold fight scenes

chocolate is absolutely fucking insane, it's about an autistic-spectrum girl who learns to do muay thai by watching dudes train out her window (and by watching ong bak)

at the end she fights a kid with tourettes doing capoeira

and that's like 15-20 minutes before the last fight scene ends

well, shit, i'm on it. sold.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Needs more Leiji Matsumoto-animated Daft Punk

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.