As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strength.Training.Guile. [Mass Effect].The Special Tasks Group needs you.USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Dux wrote: »
    Dux wrote: »
    wrex himself points out in ME1 that the genophage isn't what's killing the krogan, it's the fact that most krogan would prefer to go out into space and spend their lives as mercenaries than stay on Tuchanka and work on building up their race

Well yeah, but that's because most of them are suicidally depressed death seekers.

were they suicidally depressed death-seekers back when millions of krogan died every day to thresher maw/klixen/varren attacks?

Probably not to the same extent because adults dying has a different effect on people than newborns dying,

but whatever, it all depends on your ethics regarding the matter and me getting all heated over it is somewhat silly because ultimately it's about fictional space dino people in a videogame.

i have a feeling that plenty of children were being slaughtered too

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    tuchanka
    Thinking about it more

I think with Wrex and Eve there is a high chance that a cured krogan wouldn't repeat the mistakes of the rebellions

however

unless they manage to tightly regulate breeding or something, they're going to end up overpopulating any planet they colonize, and pretty much the only possible results of that are keeping their numbers down with constant civil war or ultimately expanding to other planets and restarting the war

Neither of those options are better than the genophage

the ideal solution is for Wrex and Eve to unite an uncured Tuchanka and find ways to rebuild the civilization with the genophage. Again, the primary problem the krogan have is that they're not interested in putting in the work necessary to rebuild, not that they don't have a high enough birth rate to allow them to.
    Well I mean Takyris flat out said Wrex and Eve usher in a cultural renaissance and redeem the krogran race. As for an uncured Tuchanka, the psychological impact of the genophage is too devastating for even Wrex and Eve to counteract in my opinion.
    I don't think it's fair to bring in things a writer said off-the-cuff that didn't actually make it into the game in any form

and once wrex's generation dies off, there won't be any krogan left who remember a time without the genophage. and really the krogan that are embittered about it are gripping onto a tiny sliver of their history that never would have been sustainable. They're not designed to have 0 checks against their incredible reproductive rate. Their numbers have to be kept down one way or another, either through the genophage or something like it, outside sources killing off vast numbers of krogan, or draconian reproductive laws. of the three I'd argue the genophage is the best.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    appealing to what a writer said is

not how this works

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Well I mean Takyris flat out said Wrex and Eve usher in a cultural renaissance and redeem the krogran race.

above is tuchanka, this is ending
    if I remember right he flat out said he thought they'd do pretty well by the krogan, but that is not a foregone conclusion within the narrative itself

also, he's wrong. wrex was on earth when the relays blew up. whatever the krogan are doing, they're doing it without wrex

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Who wants to farm gold with me on the personal computer

I've got a couple free hours and I want all of the super spectre packs

all of them

Sure.

what is your origin name

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

all of them

Sure.

what is your origin name

Baidol

I believe I sent you a friend request already.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Death of the author, yo

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    It's pretty much a given that the Krogan will go extinct as long as the genophage is around
    Calling it anything but genocide is beating around the bush. It's using more than using biology against them- the effects of the genophage wears down Krogan culture. Many feel they don't have a reason to live anymore, and thus their numbers diminish because they're not willing to try.

It doesn't excuse what happened in the past. The Salarians and Krogan are responsible for the clusterfuck that made the genophage a desirable (but morally fucked) option.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    It's pretty much a given that the Krogan will go extinct as long as the genophage is around

no it isn't! mordin's entire thing with the genophage modification project was because the krogan's birth rate was creeping up past genophage levels
    you know
    the ones painstakingly calculated to ensure the krogan population remained healthy and sustainable

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Calling it anything but genocide is beating around the bush. It's using more than using biology against them- the effects of the genophage wears down Krogan culture. Many feel they don't have a reason to live anymore, and thus their numbers diminish because they're not willing to try.

It doesn't excuse what happened in the past. The Salarians and Krogan are responsible for the clusterfuck that made the genophage a desirable (but morally fucked) option.
    krogan psychology is just as likely to wipe out a cured krogan race as it is to wipe out an afflicted krogan race

the krogan have managed to work through the genophage for a good while now, so so far I'd say it's working better than the alternative, which went to shit almost instantly. In 1 and 2 Wrex thoroughly believes that they can rebuild the krogan even without a cure. He didn't care about getting it until he learned that it already exists

well I guess he has a brief moment where he really wants the cure saren's developed but even so

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »

no it isn't! mordin's entire thing with the genophage modification project was because the krogan's birth rate was creeping up past genophage levels
    you know
    the ones painstakingly calculated to ensure the krogan population remained healthy and sustainable

yeah but that's because the krogan's natural defenses were starting to fight off the effects of the genophage, not because they were reproducing enough to counteract its effects.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

you know

It is.
    Krogan numbers aren't going up because the prospect of breeding is so low, that many are not willing to try. Combine that it interspecies war (remember, if Wreav is in charge he actually wipes the surviving women and children of Gatatog after finishing Mordin's mission).

It WILL kill their species. Slowly, but surely.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Well I mean Takyris flat out said Wrex and Eve usher in a cultural renaissance and redeem the krogran race.

if I remember right he flat out said he thought they'd do pretty well by the krogan, but that is not a foregone conclusion within the narrative itself

also, he's wrong. wrex was on earth when the relays blew up. whatever the krogan are doing, they're doing it without wrex

No, there was no "I think" or "these are my thoughts."

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The genophage is one of those things that is awful but the argument that without it things would be far worse has a lot of good points

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

you know

Also the one that doesn't in the least consider the current state of Krogan society or their reaction to the genophage.

It may not be the birth rates that are killing the Krogan, but it's definitely the genophage.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    genophage:

"do we do this repugnant thing or do we let the krogan wipe out every other race in the galaxy?"

• Options

It's still outside of the text and therefore not really meaningful for this discussion

if taky and the rest of the writing team wanted it to be etched into stone that the krogan would be awesome with a cure + wrex and eve, okay with a cure + wrex OR eve, and awful with a cure without wrex or eve, then they should have written it into the game. End of story.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

you know

Also the one that doesn't in the least consider the current state of Krogan society or their reaction to the genophage.

It may not be the birth rates that are killing the Krogan, but it's definitely the genophage.

Yup.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options

It's still outside of the text and therefore not really meaningful for this discussion

if taky and the rest of the writing team wanted it to be etched into stone that the krogan would be awesome with a cure + wrex and eve, okay with a cure + wrex OR eve, and awful with a cure without wrex or eve, then they should have written it into the game. End of story.

NEW CRITICISM

• Options
    the krogan need more okeers

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

basically

• Options

all of them

Sure.

what is your origin name

Baidol

I believe I sent you a friend request already.

so you did, origin is just bad at telling me when things happen

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    it says something when the psychotic supervillain mad scientist has the clearest perspective on an issue

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Genophage was a necessary evil at the time

But honestly, I think I'd cure it even if that shithole Wreav was in charge

If the krogan want to fight and die and force their species into extinction in a second rebellion, then let 'em

Self-determination and all that

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Also fuck that multiplayer DLC is shit hot

This is what I get for not paying attention to the Mass Effect thread for a few days

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options

Okeer was a proper fucking boss

I love Okeer

His VA is great. "I like that part. It has weight" is one of my favorite ME lines

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    voice chat desperately needs a thing to say who's talking

it is astonishingly stupid that it doesn't

any time I hear a shithead I just mute everyone

No time for that shit

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    really i'm not that concerned about a second krogan rebellion

even wrex points out that the council would just figure out a new way to fuck over the krogan, one probably much worse than the genophage

the genophage is more important to protect the krogan from the krogan than protecting the galaxy from the krogan

• Options
    thinking about it okeer was a huge missed opportunity

if only he came along in ME2 and was a foil to mordin

and imagine the fun if he were around for the events of ME3

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    If there was a solution to the rachni wars that wasn't the krogan, they would have used it

and if there was a solution to the krogan rebellion that wasnt the genophage, they would have used it

but those two necessary evils are directly responsible for the galaxy being as stable as it is

or was, I guess, until the cuttlefish robots showed up

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah the Genophage is good for the Krogan as a species in a twisted kind of way

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

Okeer was a proper fucking boss

I love Okeer

His VA is great. "I like that part. It has weight" is one of my favorite ME lines

Playing through ME2 again I was struck by how well Okeer and Grunt were written

They felt well and properly alien, in terms of how they think and what their philosophies were

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    now i really wish that you could have recruited okeer in 2 and he would've sent Grunt out with you for missions

significantly cut down on Grunt's dialogue to make room for okeer

and then (tuchanka)
    have him be the voice of maintaining the genophage instead of the dalatrass

• Options
    I dunno, man. If I found out that I'd been screwed out of the genophage cure I would unite my people to make shit as bad for everyone as possible

Or, I dunno, side with the reapers. They were technically pre-spaceflight anyway, maybe they could be convinced to spare them. (not really)

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

If the krogan want to fight and die and force their species into extinction in a second rebellion, then let 'em

That is something to factor in.
    Most of the Salarian fleet is being held back. Including the stealth dreadnoughts nobody else knows about.

Wreav tries to fuck with something like that, the Krogan empire becomes the Krogan extinction event.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    voice chat desperately needs a thing to say who's talking

it is astonishingly stupid that it doesn't

any time I hear a shithead I just mute everyone

No time for that shit

yeah me too

but my main problem is that someone will say something like "phantom on the right"

but since I don't know who said that, I do not know which way is right

• Options
    now i really wish that you could have recruited okeer in 2 and he would've sent Grunt out with you for missions

and then (tuchanka)
    have him be the voice of maintaining the genophage instead of the dalatrass

That would have been rad

• Options

whoa whoa whoa

Nobody puts Grunt in the corner.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    grunt has the best dialog that wasn't Mordin's. why would you cut any of that?

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

That is something to factor in.
    Most of the Salarian fleet is being held back. Including the stealth dreadnoughts nobody else knows about.

Wreav tries to fuck with something like that, the Krogan empire becomes the Krogan extinction event.
    The Salarian Union is a bunch of stupid cowards.

jkZziGc.png
This discussion has been closed.