As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the Dao of "games journalism"

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Or Portal 2

is it necessary to play the first one or can I skip straight to 2?

You should play portal 1 first because it is literally perfect

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    O I was gonna say that skyrim was just on sale for $40. But that was a steam sale.

Also it is completely worth full price for the amount of content it has. But not having the cash for a full priced game is understandable

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I found Diablo really boring.

*click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click**click*

I never bothered with the sequel.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    You're boring.

D2 is very different from D1.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay Portal is pretty great so far

The puzzles are just hard enough that I feel rewarded when I figure out how to exploit the level geometry and physics to solve them, without being so hard I want to tear my eyes out

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I dunno a better place to ask this.

But if I wanted to look into interactive fiction where should I start?

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Digital: A Love Story

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86db856970b-pi

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    just so you know I killed Harlowe Thrombey

sorry about that

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    I had some Goosbumps books like that when I was young.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

The puzzles are just hard enough that I feel rewarded when I figure out how to exploit the level geometry and physics to solve them, without being so hard I want to tear my eyes out

the first or the second

(both are really really fun)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TheStig wrote: »

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86db856970b-pi

I had at least 3 of those.

EDIT: Wait, at least 4.

Fishman on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    You're boring.

But that's what I thought about Diablo 2.

I don't think this will change with the sequel. (I might try Diablo 3 at some point)

Huntera on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    You're boring.

But that's what I thought about Diablo 2.

I don't think this will change with the sequel. (I might try Diablo 3 at some point)

And that's what I think about the combat in Skyrim! Just as engaging and complicated (but there's less of it, so I guess that's a plus!).

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I remember the choose your own adventure Animorphs book where you were the 7th member of the team.

That got freakin' dark.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Have you never read lord of the flies

Nope

No culture at all. Well, at least you're off to a solid start with Portal.

I like Portal 2 better, thinking about it, but they're more or less right. Portal one is perfect. Portal 2 is not.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Digital: A Love Story

Yeah, Digital is pretty good. And free.

Also, in actual games journalism news, I saw a neat story in the Arizona Republic's business section today. They ran a story on the lawsuit against Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment, who were working on that Stargate Worlds MMO until they canceled it in 2010.

I thought it was neat to see in-depth coverage of a game developer in a normal newspaper. And it's the sort of story you'll pretty much never see on a typical game news site.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I remember the choose your own adventure Animorphs book where you were the 7th member of the team.

That got freakin' dark.

Animorphs in general got dark as shit.

Also they were mostly ghost-written :(

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oh I know, but one of the failed endings involve the team considering you too dangerous and tricking you into being stuck in a worthless morphed form. Like, geez that is stone cold.

As for the ghost written stuff Applegate was just a name to me so I still enjoyed the stories regardless. Anti mentioned to me that the writers got some small amount of credit but yeah that stuff in general isn't fair.

• Options
    I mean they did that to a character in the main books, too.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »

That got freakin' dark.

Not mostly. Implies majority. Looking at the stats, it was a slight minority.

And the stories I heard place it as one of the better ghostwriting gigs. The sort of thing where helping newer authors get a break is part and parcel.

• Options
    Ohhhh, they did too.

It has been a very long time since I've read those books.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

That got freakin' dark.

And the stories I heard place it as one of the better ghostwriting gigs. The sort of thing where helping newer authors get a break is part and parcel.

What stats are you looking at? I remember reading that it was the bulk of the series.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    goosebumps for life

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    goosebumps for life

Man you remember the one with the mask?

How about the choose you own adventure one that had like, intelligent apes?

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

That got freakin' dark.

What stats are you looking at? I remember reading that it was the bulk of the series.

Was looking at wiki, so any other source you have is likely to be better.

But it's easy to see even if wikipedia is 100% right this time how someone could get the impression ghost written ones are the majority. At about the halfway point, it shifts from almost no ghostwritten ones to pretty much all for a decent length of time.

• Options
    I don't know.

The way I felt about it way back then was that it meant they were just not very good. I think I mostly liked them anyway?

It has been a while since I've thought about it

• Options
    Many of the novels from the #25-#52 range were written by ghostwriters. Typically, K. A. Applegate would write a detailed outline for each book, and a ghostwriter, usually one of Applegate's former editors or writing protégés, would spend a month or two writing the actual novel. After this, Applegate, and later her series editor, Tonya Alicia Martin, would edit the book to make it fit in with the series' tight continuity. Ghostwriters are credited for their help in the book's dedication page: "The author would like to thank [ghostwriter name] for his/her help in preparing this manuscript."

The only books in this range fully written by Applegate herself after #26: The Attack are #32: The Separation, #53: The Answer, #54: The Beginning and all of the Megamorphs and Chronicles books.

So not the majority but 26 of the core story books is substantial to me. However in fairness
    Applegate originally intended to write every Animorphs book herself. However, due to many contributing factors—such as the birth of her son, and the difficulties involved in writing Everworld (which was originally intended to be mostly ghostwritten, like Applegate's third Scholastic series Remnants), she ended up having a large number of the books ghostwritten.

This is news to me, having a kid will throw a spanner in the works.

• Options
    I think I read the first couple Remnants.

That shit was weird.

• Options
    I think I read the first couple Remnants.

That shit was weird.

Yeah I read a few and I couldn't get into it at all.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've been not-on MD for a few days now and only just got to reading the post about online gaming

and I have to say... some of the points are reasonable ones, but by and large, I, AS A "GIRL" "GAMER", have a hard time agreeing with it... for SO MANY reasons

there is also the fact that her blog name is <video game girlfriend> which I don't know kinda rubs me the wrong way in ways I cannot quite articulate at the moment

I shall reflect and maybe comment on that post later on

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Well, pretty much all her reasons for not partaking in online gaming are exactly the same reasons that I don't partake in online gaming.

As a dude with limited time in which to game, I find the frustration factor of the great unwashed masses far too great an obstacle to my enjoyment to be bothered with online gaming. Fuck it. I play single player, or, rarely, co-op. There's plenty for me to enjoy without having to wade through the golden lands of 'online play' where the gold just as often as not turns out to be someone's stream of lukewarm urine.

However, I am neither a girl, a noob or even bothered by the fact that I hate online gaming. The article kinda ties all these bits together and somehow makes it an issue of self-identity. It makes the read disingenuous to me, and a rather undeveloped perspective on the issues and problems.

Fishman on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Fishman wrote: »
    However, I am neither a girl, a noob or even bothered by the fact that I hate online gaming. The article kinda ties all these bits together and somehow makes it an issue of self-identity. It makes the read disingenuous to me, and a rather undeveloped perspective on the issues and problems.

I think this is part of it. It sounds - likely unintentionally - like a very limited perspective on the problem as being with this ASPECT of a culture that one feels that you "should" like or that you "would" like if only A, B, and C were different... rather than taking ownership for one's personal preferences and, as you say, self-identity. That she questions whether it's other people's opinions on her gender or noobishness that illicits personal frustration rather than the fact that it is her own personality and priorities that prevent enjoyment of such a genre... I think that's my problem with it.

Rather than acknowledge why OTHER people still enjoy online gaming even though everyone's experiences are largely similar to her own and acknowledge that it's just not what she enjoys (i.e., it's "other" people's fault that she can't enjoy these games)... and rather than taking her personal experience and expanding to speak to deeper and more broad-ranging issues like anonymity, achievement in one niche area (i.e., being "pro" at L4D) vs underachievement in other aspects of life, etc etc... I think this really hurts the otherwise very legitimate points she's trying to make.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

the first or the second

(both are really really fun)

First
    I think I'll go out and grab 2 tomorrow after work

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    2 is arguably even funnier and has some super clever puzzles

but there are also somewhat lengthy sections of it that are a bit boring

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    2 is arguably even funnier and has some super clever puzzles

but there are also somewhat lengthy sections of it that are a bit boring

Depends how you like your games. The boring bits were actually some of my favourite parts.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think it's the idea that trying to be pro or whatever at a game is playing it 'wrong'

it's not wrong. it's just different than what they think is fun. unfortunately when the two groups play together you get something that is similar to bullying and it builds up a lot of resentment. but then in turn they end up being just as bad about trying to tell other people how to play.

Jars on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The only thing I disliked about two.

Was every time I was stuck.

It wasn't due to the difficulty of the puzzle. It's cause there was a little tiny piece of ground to place a portal and I couldn't see it.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i haven't beaten portal 1 or 2

i havent even met the companion cube in 1

i got stuck in 2 right after glados gets reactivated

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    yeah I mean "find the part of the level that you can interact with" doesn't really count as a puzzle

This discussion has been closed.