As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Mr. [chat] with Bob and David

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Last we we busted out that new Lords of Waterdeep game (it's Caylus but worse with a vauge D&D skin). Other than me the kindest thing that anyone else at the table could say of the game is "the sort of thing that does nothing but contribute to the heat death of the universe". I was the only one who would play it again and my take was "I would like to play this with my 10 year old son".

btw: my friends review here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/785232/not-complete-crap-but-

edit: actually this is probably the only good thing about Lords of Waterdeep: "* I won't play this game again, so don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending it, but they did steal solid mechanisms from good games, which lends solid structure to this game. If you read the rules with any care, you won't have any issues getting from start to finish of the game."

So WotC is trying to become Zynga?

Eh, kind of the anti-Zynga. In that the blatent copying of rules mechanics is the GOOD thing about the game. At least they tried to copy good games. (and copying of mechanics in board games isn't and should not be viewed as a bad thing). I would never accuse Lords of Waterdeep of plagarism.

They just tried to do their own euro-game and mucked it up.

I am taken aback by the sheer vehemence of it

hehehe. yeah Dan is like that.

But the dude know him what makes a good board game.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    He might but I'd be kind of afraid to ask him about it now

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    on a positive note, before Lords of Waterdeep we played "South African Railroads". This game looks like it was made in someones garage for about two bucks but there is a really solid set of rules lurking in there. Everyone at the table really liked it (including the aforementioned Dan).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/97683/south-african-railroads

pic1267530_md.jpg

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Oh man, boardgame [chat].

*Zzzzzzzzzzzz*

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    what is the subject matter of south african railroads?

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Podly wrote: »

making monies out of companies building the first railways through that country. It is very abstract in terms of theme (as you can see from the board).

The big square in the mid-right is Johannesburg and the smaller square on the left is Bloemfontein.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

*Zzzzzzzzzzzz*

SO EVERYONE, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE ENDING OF MASS EFFECT 3? PLEASE PHRASE YOUR ANSWER IN THE FORM OF AN A PRIORI PHILOSOPHICAL PROOF.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

making monies out of companies building the first railways through that country. It is very abstract in terms of theme (as you can see from the board).

The big square in the mid-right is Johannesburg and the smaller square on the left is Bloemfontein.

This may make me the worst person, but I need strong theming to keep my attention for any amount of time

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Mass Effect 3 did not fulfill my every hope and desire in its last five minutes

zero stars

• Options
    edited April 2012

This may make me the worst person, but I need strong theming to keep my attention for any amount of time

oh nothing wrong with that. The best games have a good combination of theme, production values and a solid rulesset.

eg: The new Civilization board game released in 2010. Or the 1979 version of Dune.

I just agree with Dan that Lords of Waterdeep is a game that is all glitz with no worthwhile content.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

I am the same way

• Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    evenin' [chat]

Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

it appears my subtle humor has gone unnoticed

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Having not played LoW I can't really say anything on your assessment, but I do trust your judgement.

I'm more saying that looking at that south african railroads board I cannot picture myself playing it

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    whaaaaaaaaat new soulwax remix?

this is gonna be awesome

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

*Zzzzzzzzzzzz*

SO EVERYONE, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE ENDING OF MASS EFFECT 3? PLEASE PHRASE YOUR ANSWER IN THE FORM OF AN A PRIORI PHILOSOPHICAL PROOF.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS.

Anyway, Shadowrun Kickstarter. Yeah, that is something I can get behind and donate to.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    I like trivial pursuit and pictionary and other such games where I get to engage skills other than dice rolling and moving little plastic bits.

Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options

*Zzzzzzzzzzzz*

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS.

Anyway, Shadowrun Kickstarter. Yeah, that is something I can get behind and donate to.

Must he answer be phrased syllogistically?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Anybody here ever read any of "The Knowhow Book of....." series as kids?

edit: one of which I have just managed to spray salsa on while simultaneously somehow getting some up my nose.

ALocksly on
  • Options
    ooh, also Cyclades is a good combination of good rules and lots of fancy bits. There's an expansion out now I have been wanting to try.

Though I still think that Pegasus card needs to be toned down or removed. But one poorly designed card in quite a large deck ain't bad.

pic1233737_md.jpg

pic1215952_md.jpg

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Especially since any board game where you can legitimatly scream "UNLEASH THE KRAKEN!" gets points.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Riemann stop making me wish I had people to play all the board games I own with

but alas I do not and shall be selling them to make space.

• Options

I'm just lucky a friend of mine opened a game store a few years back. Wednesday night is open game night in the store and is super good times. (just north of 75th and aurora if you are in the Seattle area).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Especially since any board game where you can legitimatly scream "UNLEASH THE KRAKEN!" gets points.

"release".........<<.......>>.......just sayin'

I'd totally play that boardgame though.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I really like Cyclades a lot. It's a tight little game.

• Options
    I wish I had space.

I wouldn't have had to sell lots of my music gear.

I miss my big gigantic mixer. :(

18814023287521328.jpg

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    pokpokpokpokpokpokpokpopokpokpok

the best onomatopoeic typographic thingie

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

I'm just lucky a friend of mine opened a game store a few years back. Wednesday night is open game night in the store and is super good times. (just north of 75th and aurora if you are in the Seattle area).

Alas I am not, I have a great LGS but it's not really in a place acessable to me with transit and my work schedule

• Options
    I wish I had space.

I wouldn't have had to sell lots of my music gear.

I miss my big gigantic mixer. :(

18814023287521328.jpg

One of the best parts of working at a pawn shop was when musicians would offload stuff they couldn't find space for or upgraded past, messing around with it was fun times.

• Options

release-the-kraken.jpg

Steam
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

Man Podly, you would have loved my brothers record collection. He was DJing during around that sort of time. I have distinct memories of him going out in ridiculous rave clothes and such. He's captain straight-lace now though.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    In Uni today. Really don't want to be here. Oh well, at least there is coffee.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Mass Effect 3 did not fulfill my every hope and desire in its last five minutes

zero stars

mine made me coffee and read me a bedtime story
    maybe yours was defective
    or you made poor choices with your sheperd

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    813 words of a rather shoddy essay between me and being done with academic work for my MSc...

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    mmmmm

nearly through a hot chocolate that was about 50% kahlua by volume

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    gimme gimme gimme!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Mike Evangelist (yep, that's his name) still remembers one of his first meetings with Jobs. It took place in the Apple boardroom in early 2000, just a few months after Apple purchased the American division of Astarte, a German software company where Evangelist was an operations manager. Phil Schiller, Apple's longtime head of marketing, put Evangelist on a team charged with coming up with ideas for a DVD-burning program that Apple planned to release on high-end Macs -- an app that would later become iDVD.

"We had about three weeks to prepare," Evangelist says. He and another employee went to work creating beautiful mock-ups depicting the perfect interface for the new program. On the appointed day, Evangelist and the rest of the team gathered in the boardroom. They'd brought page after page of prototype screen shots showing the new program's various windows and menu options, along with paragraphs of documentation describing how the app would work.

"Then Steve comes in," Evangelist recalls. "He doesn't look at any of our work. He picks up a marker and goes over to the whiteboard. He draws a rectangle. 'Here's the new application,' he says. 'It's got one window. You drag your video into the window. Then you click the button that says BURN. That's it. That's what we're going to make.' "

• Options
    I've been all about like 87-94 recently. Basically the years between my and my youngest sibling's births. Listening to a ton of The KLF and Mike Banks, wearing acid washed jeans, trying to get a good deal on a super old sampler

Akai_S1100.gif

Maybe we'll even have another war in the middle east soon enough!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    I will watch anything with Noel Fielding in it. I have seen so much Never Mind the Buzzcocks in the last week.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Mike Evangelist (yep, that's his name) still remembers one of his first meetings with Jobs. It took place in the Apple boardroom in early 2000, just a few months after Apple purchased the American division of Astarte, a German software company where Evangelist was an operations manager. Phil Schiller, Apple's longtime head of marketing, put Evangelist on a team charged with coming up with ideas for a DVD-burning program that Apple planned to release on high-end Macs -- an app that would later become iDVD.

"We had about three weeks to prepare," Evangelist says. He and another employee went to work creating beautiful mock-ups depicting the perfect interface for the new program. On the appointed day, Evangelist and the rest of the team gathered in the boardroom. They'd brought page after page of prototype screen shots showing the new program's various windows and menu options, along with paragraphs of documentation describing how the app would work.

"Then Steve comes in," Evangelist recalls. "He doesn't look at any of our work. He picks up a marker and goes over to the whiteboard. He draws a rectangle. 'Here's the new application,' he says. 'It's got one window. You drag your video into the window. Then you click the button that says BURN. That's it. That's what we're going to make.' "

That's a pretty awesome story

This discussion has been closed.