As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Resurgence MP DLC on the 10th; 6 chars, 3 guns, 2 maps. MARK SPOILERS!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Someone, find me a use for the Arc pistol

because I've got it at rank IX now

It's the only rare I've got remotely that high. :(
    i'm so sorry

the only golds i've never gotten are the arc pistol and geth pulse rifle

truly i have been blessed

Who at Bioware did you piss off?

Why did you do it?!!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Someone, find me a use for the Arc pistol

because I've got it at rank IX now

It's the only rare I've got remotely that high. :(

Depending on what other pistols you have, it can be a good back up tool for anyone without shield stripping powers, as it does huge damage vs. shields and geth.

I wouldn't waste my time charging shots though, as it's charge isn't near as powerful as the GPS or Graal.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    So what you're telling me is to put it on my krogan sentinel?!!

• Options
    Yeah, the damn thing weighs as much as a sniper rifle

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Speaking of potential exploits, I ran into the weirdest player yesterday. N7 rank 12. Level 10 Krogan Sentinel with a Carnifex III and a Claymore I. Hot pink armor... looked like more than one appearence unlocks. Not a bad player, but it was on Bronze at the time.

The only thing I could imagine was that they played the game under another account, started a new game, and spent a ton of real world money on Microsoft Funbucks to buy packs.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i can't imagine using the arc pistol as a backup

it's terribly heavy

• Options
    If I equip it, it'll either be the only weapon I equip, or I'll have to spec somebody for a "fuck the cooldowns" build.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So somebody on the BioWare forums made an MP Character Build simulator.

EDIT: [Link Removed due to MalWare concerns] You can still find it on the Multiplayer Forums over at Bioware

Interesting and kind of fun to fiddle with the numbers. I hope he's keeping it up to date with the latest balance changes.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    MelokuMeloku Ask me about my Illusions Registered User regular
    The Arc Pistol is like the Graal in that you can use it while sprinting (and also you can charge it, and attach a melee bonus mod to it), so if you don't like the Graal for some reason

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Every now and then I'll get a weird audio feedback loop thing going... Like, I can hear two or three guy's TV's audio back through their mics. Makes for some pretty trippy matches.

I have had the weirdest soundtrack bugs in this game. I first discovered it on a couple of MP matches where suddenly a really good soundtrack would be playing - Thane's theme from ME2 on Firebase White, then the Overlord theme during Firebase Reactor. And the weird thing is that those soundtracks played over whatever soundtrack MP normally has (the MP only plays a soundtrack during extraction, IIRC) Then I figured out, by playing the single player shortly after, that the overlaid soundtrack I was hearing was the soundtrack for the single player. So that was wierd, but kind of cool because that music is really great to play to - they should consider adding music like that permanently, it really adds to the experience. But then the problem got annoying when I was playing single player during a touching moment, and the soundtrack tried to play the contempletive piano music twice, but staggered. Dissonant and a little comic; spoiled the mood completely.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    So somebody on the BioWare forums made an MP Character Build simulator.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#00BAAAA

Interesting and kind of fun to fiddle with the numbers. I hope he's keeping it up to date with the latest balance changes.

Wow, this is awesome. Thanks for the heads up.

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    The music plays during objective waves (while you're trying to complete the objective). So basically any time there's a countdown on the screen, the music's going.

Easy to miss it, since at that point you're concentrating on the objectives--which I think was the point. :)

• Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I thought I would share a build I've been playing lately - Salarian Infiltrator 6/0/6/6/6, shotgun primary (currently using a Claymore II). The key to this build is taking the rank 6 Tactical cloak ability that lets you use Energy Drain and remain in stealth. Your cooldowns aren't terribly bad once you get used to it, as is the reload time on the Claymore. Playstyle is basically run into pack of mobs > shotgun > stealth/reload > Energy Drain the biggest baddie > shotgun/run away. Rinse and repeat!

IDDQD on
    Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    IDDQD wrote: »
    I thought I would share a build I've been playing lately - Salarian Infiltrator 6/0/6/6/6, shotgun primary (currently using a Claymore II). The key to this build is taking the rank 6 Tactical cloak ability that lets you use Energy Drain and remain in stealth. Your cooldowns aren't terribly bad once you get used to it, as is the reload time on the Claymore. Playstyle is basically run into pack of mobs > shotgun > stealth/reload > Energy Drain the biggest baddie > shotgun/run away. Rinse and repeat!

That's basically how I played in the single player, only with Incinerate.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    We granted the Victory and Commendations Packs from Operation Raptor last night but this morning it was identified that many people were using an exploit to get multiple packs. In order to stop the problem we had to suspend the granting of packs immediately. We are currently working on a fix for this issue. We will restart the granting of packs once this issue has been fixed.

I wonder if the exploit was "promote four/eight/ten/etc" characters. :p

Sadly no. I promoted 8 times and only got 1 pack (which I expected to be the case, I just felt like pulling a little extra weight and resetting some classes for the hell of it. ... and to boost my N7 score 'cause I felt like it.

Updated the thread title regarding packs being delayed (obviously) and included that MP build simulator to the OP (not that anyone reads them).

edit: btw, the Singularity ability to "Expand the Singularity field by 35% for 10 seconds." What does that even mean? The duration is like half that. Not that I've seen explode be terribly awe inspiring either.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    IDDQD wrote: »

That's basically how I played in the single player, only with Incinerate.

I wish we had the ability to respec class on NG+, as I would love to try this on my Insanity run. Taking Energy Drain as the bonus power of course.

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    For anyone who randomly clicks shit that MP site that was linked was giving me popup ads that tried to fool you into downloading malware/virii/whatnot

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I got a Hurricane for my Commendation pack. I suppose that's better than a Crusader II. Which would've gone nicely with my Wraith, Claymore, Graal VII, GPS, and every other shotgun I have.

Last night I soloed Bronze with a Viper, pretending it was a Valiant or a Black Widow. It wasn't the same.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    For anyone who randomly clicks shit that MP site that was linked was giving me popup ads that tried to fool you into downloading malware/virii/whatnot

Damn. Apologies for that. It didn't seem to do anything to mine, but I've edited the link out.

• Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    We granted the Victory and Commendations Packs from Operation Raptor last night but this morning it was identified that many people were using an exploit to get multiple packs. In order to stop the problem we had to suspend the granting of packs immediately. We are currently working on a fix for this issue. We will restart the granting of packs once this issue has been fixed.

I actually reported this issue to EA/one of their forum devs. I received no less than 5 victory packs because of it. The first time I got an extra pack I assumed it was a glitch with my first one not registering properly (which happened last week), so I opened it again. Then I got a third one, so I checked my equipment values, and opened it again, and they went up. Then I checked to see if I could repeat the process (because I noticed that a new package showed up after doing the same thing 2 previous times), and lo and behold, there was another pack. :P After that I sent in a ticket and stopped opening them so as not to get BANTIFIED. Hopefully.

steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options

Damn. Apologies for that. It didn't seem to do anything to mine, but I've edited the link out.

Huh, I didn't get any pop ups either. No ads whatsoever, and this is on the work internet explorer that I assume would snag them like woah.

Also, I wonder how hard it would be to track down exploiters, really? Look for anyone with 3 or more of the special N7 weapon ranks, ban accordingly?

Like that pic of the guy with the Eagle IV or whatever, bam, part of the problem solved.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    is it really necessary to ban people for exploiting a purely co-op game, especially when the exploit is just a couple extra weapon upgrades

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    So I am doing an insanity run and for flavor i was gonna romance Ash (me2 was miranda.)

I heard it was bad, the break up with miranda.... I was worried about it, so I youtubed it so I was prepared.

Ouch. That was pretty brutal.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Huh, I didn't get any pop ups either. No ads whatsoever, and this is on the work internet explorer that I assume would snag them like woah.

Also, I wonder how hard it would be to track down exploiters, really? Look for anyone with 3 or more of the special N7 weapon ranks, ban accordingly?

Like that pic of the guy with the Eagle IV or whatever, bam, part of the problem solved.

Well, that would be the end of BrilliantInsanity for one. Unless there's actually some malicious way to do it (as opposed to just promoting 4 or more characters) I would think it easier to just roll back every pack after the first. Or something to that effect.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I don't think you should get banned for the programmers making an error that happens to be in your favor. It'd be one thing if you were soldering things into your Xbox or using a hacked copy of the game or something.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    is it really necessary to ban people for exploiting a purely co-op game, especially when the exploit is just a couple extra weapon upgrades

But how will they encourage people to spend REAL MONEY on their dumb randomized packs if you can just cheat and get them for free?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    -Tal wrote: »

Why don't they have to follow the same rules as everyone else?

More to the point; cheating yourself tons of credits is supposed to be an infractable (bannable?) offense. I don't see how "giving myself a dozen of the commendation packs" would be any less frowned upon.

So to clarify, I'm not frothing for actual bans. Whatever the penalty is that Bioware/EA/whoever levels against those for other breaks of the TOS/EULA (rollback, ban, resetting your MP account because it'd be funny, whatever) would suffice.

Edit: Like, I'm pondering buying some bioware points and opening some of these hot spectre packs. Why should I bother with that if I can just exploit my way to better stuff for free? Think of it from EA/Bioware's end, it's potentially harming their business model.

Forar on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The problem is that's how the game is programmed. If they didn't want people to play the game that way, they should have programmed it differently. Close the loophole, sure. That's the best course of action. Punishing people by banning them? Er, no.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    The problem is that's how the game is programmed. If they didn't want people to play the game that way, they should have programmed it differently. Close the loophole, sure. That's the best course of action. Punishing people by banning them? Er, no.

Playing ME3 requires Origin, correct? Which requires accepting the Origin EULA, correct?

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/

#11 seems to cover the use of exploits directly.

Edit: " “Role–playing” is not an excuse for violating this or any other policy. "

Okay, that's funny.

Edit2: And I won't argue that it's poorly programmed. I have no idea how many credits I've missed out on because of the bullshit way the game's rewards are handed out, how much experience, and how many packs I may or may not have received (really, no idea) because of the glitchy as fuck server. But I still don't agree with exploiting, especially when it's for the free packs we're being given for participation.

Forar on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    It's a shame how poorly the multiplayer servers were programmed.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    I think the big point is, it doesn't hurt other players to use the exploit. It doesn't make my experience any worse.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I actually reported this issue to EA/one of their forum devs. I received no less than 5 victory packs because of it. The first time I got an extra pack I assumed it was a glitch with my first one not registering properly (which happened last week), so I opened it again. Then I got a third one, so I checked my equipment values, and opened it again, and they went up. Then I checked to see if I could repeat the process (because I noticed that a new package showed up after doing the same thing 2 previous times), and lo and behold, there was another pack. :P After that I sent in a ticket and stopped opening them so as not to get BANTIFIED. Hopefully.

I happened to get two victory packs, but assumed that was because of how many characters I promoted. Am I going to get b&? Should I put in a ticket?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options

Playing ME3 requires Origin, correct? Which requires accepting the Origin EULA, correct?

Edit: " “Role–playing” is not an excuse for violating this or any other policy. "

Okay, that's funny.

I'm on Xbox and I don't use Origin, nor did I agree to any tos agreement.

Regardless, we could talk about how those agreements aren't seen until after purchase but it's a whole other can of worms. Basically, punishing people for gaining a benefit in co-op multiplayer without breaking into their hardware or changing the software you wrote seems pretty dumb to me. Feel free to disagree.

• Options

Regardless, we could talk about how those agreements aren't seen until after purchase but it's a whole other can of worms. Basically, punishing people for gaining a benefit in co-op multiplayer without breaking into their hardware or changing the software you wrote seems pretty dumb to me. Feel free to disagree.

I'm pretty sure Live has a similar set of legalese associated with it.

And I shall disagree. I guess we'll see eventually if Bioware/EA/whoever give a shit, or if we'll all be rocking Valiant X's by the end of the next event weekend.

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular

Okay, that's funny.

Unfortunately, the precedent I am aware of relates to a User Agreement that is implicitly agreed upon opening of the box and applicable to the product to simply get it running. I suppose you still have a working product without using Origin for online services.

But, I agree with you. Would EA ban me if I found a glitch in single player to spam paragon or renegade? My understanding is that bans for ME3 and DA2 are bans for the single player as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Still haven't received my Commendation Pack : /. Hopefully they get this exploit thing worked out today; I want my chance at an ultra-rare already!

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Dusda wrote: »
    Still haven't received my Commendation Pack : /. Hopefully they get this exploit thing worked out today; I want my chance at an ultra-rare already!

Don't worry, it's just an Eagle or Hurricane, whichever you don't already have. >.>

Alt answer: don't worry, just make it into a dozen of them once it finally comes in.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Machismo wrote: »

Okay, that's funny.

Unfortunately, the precedent I am aware of relates to a User Agreement that is implicitly agreed upon opening of the box and applicable to the product to simply get it running. I suppose you still have a working product without using Origin for online services.

But, I agree with you. Would EA ban me if I found a glitch in single player to spam paragon or renegade? My understanding is that bans for ME3 and DA2 are bans for the single player as well.

If EA bans you, they lock you out of your Origin account and revoke your license. If you can't log on to Origin, you wouldn't be able to access any of your games, multiplayer or otherwise. Same with Steam.

These aren't implicit licenses; you agree to them every time you download a game. There's really no way around them, short of not purchasing the game or using the service.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Okay, that's funny.

You use Origin for multiplayer. Everybody does. It skips the login if you've already used it for another game. My first was, I think, ME2, and then my wife used the same account for Dragon Age.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    synesthesiasynesthesia Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I just got the worst premium spectre pack ever assembled. Vindicator +1, Geth pulse rifle +1, Krogan soldier (which I already had), and a shotgun capacity upgrade.