As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] The Incredible Shulk MARK YOUR GODDAMN SPOILERS

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Well I suppose I'll try to complete this provisions sidequest at the trader's stopover

Oh

Oh that doorway is guarded by a level 98 unique enemy

And there's another high-90s enemy standing over the quest item in a room the size of a broom closet

Great

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Welcome to the end game!

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    check your sanity at the door

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I was so tired of grinding at that point that I didn't even grind enough to hit the last boss, no way was I gonna grind to level 90 something to get those guys some food.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    If you are REALLY gonna do it, then go back to alcamoth to get your foot in the door

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think this might be the point where I go "STORY TIME" and forget entirely about sidequests

Just getting that
    Machina Kid
    the stuff he needed to grow up was a nightmare. I hate Spike damage.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    That is a good plan wyborn, you can always go back

Also it was so RAD wasn't it. I love the way the weird genetic dilution stuff from way back in eryth comes back and makes sense

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder, if the quest only requires you to get an item then you can grab it and die and still keep the item to finish the quest. It's those quests that specify killing a unique monster that are really nuts.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I didn't see any of that stuff at all

Huh

But then I pretty well mainlined it to the point of no return after the Core, outside of Colony 6 grinding.

• Options

Also it was so RAD wasn't it. I love the way the weird genetic dilution stuff from way back in eryth comes back and makes sense

I was actually talking about this with Silver
    About how the Homs interbreeding program was meant specifically to ocmbat this situation

Eight more generations and they would have been free of it entirely! Man!

But yeah that's one of the specific cases where I feel the game really earned the crazy bullshit it was doing, because it dropped a lot of hints

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Wyborn wrote: »

I was actually talking about this with Silver
    About how the Homs interbreeding program was meant specifically to ocmbat this situation

Eight more generations and they would have been free of it entirely! Man!

But yeah that's one of the specific cases where I feel the game really earned the crazy bullshit it was doing, because it dropped a lot of hints
    the twist with Dickson Ithought was interesting, the game dangles some sort of hidden agenda with him as early as satorl marsh but you never really get a handle on what it is exactly. The high entia lady was always super evil and something has obviously been up with Alvis, even beyond the disciple stuff. Also it's interesting to note that even though the game never really makes it super explicit, Dickson was in a lot of ways a surrogate father to shulk

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    I thought it had actually been explicit on that point!
    Dickson raising Shulk, I mean. I think that was said!

Also what did you mean by this:
    If you are REALLY gonna do it, then go back to alcamoth to get your foot in the door

Also also, good lord, the area I'm in now has mid-70s named enemies coming out of its ears

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    i mean that if you wanted to get on the way to doing crazy endgame quests it requires crazy endgame levels, and a decent way to do that is to go back to alcamoth

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    This... this is a Hell of a final dungeon
    I haven't gotten to Dickson yet but he must be way in here.

That bridge where more and more enemies kept dogpiling you the longer you stood there was nuts

Also YEAH MELIA ROOT FOR REYN AND SHARLA, WE'RE ALL DOING IT

But a question concerning Untold Feelings
    Melia mentions wanting to find love again with "...you know" and says it will come to Sharla eventually

Who in Hell's name could she possibly mean

Riki's a married man!!!!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    This... this is a Hell of a final dungeon
    I haven't gotten to Dickson yet but he must be way in here.

That bridge where more and more enemies kept dogpiling you the longer you stood there was nuts

Also YEAH MELIA ROOT FOR REYN AND SHARLA, WE'RE ALL DOING IT

But a question concerning Untold Feelings
    Melia mentions wanting to find love again with "...you know" and says it will come to Sharla eventually

Who in Hell's name could she possibly mean

Riki's a married man!!!!
    this confused me too! i guess dunban maybe? i don't remember much of their heart to hearts but i guess they are both pretty calm, logical people? though honestly i feel like she might have a bigger responsibility in the whole "make sure my race doesn't go extinct" department. also dunban is colony 9's most eligible bachelor so i don't think he's in any rush

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Actually now that I think about it, it could even be Sharla herself

Who knows

Gotta be some fan theorizing out there about it, though

...I'm assuming the media-producing fandom, like fanart and fanfic, is pretty small for this game.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    its not as big as it SHOULD be thats for fucking sure

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Final, final area
    Holy shit

This looks awesome

The framing of the planets against the Sun as I head deeper and deeper into the system looks better than the framing of shots in the vast, vast majority of sci-fi games

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    game beaten

I gotta digest this a bit

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    So the finale
    For some reason all I can think about is the act of walking past the planets, down toward the place where Zanza waited

How that's not representative of the world as it was at the moment

When we were going to fight Zanza, there were no planets - space didn't exist in that way. The plane of water was infinite, stretching out in all directions, a stand-in for formless chaos like in the book of Genesis. It's only after the world was broken and changed that there were other worlds beyond the sky.

And I think about how our footsteps called up grids when we walked between the worlds

And I realize that that place was not real, it was a simulation, an image of the universe that Zanza left behind - the one universe he could not get back and retain his control

Anyway

Xenoblade is a pretty fun game

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    It's ok I guess

What did you think overall about
    the true monado, shulk basically ascending to divinity, everything with Alvis and Zanza and the research stuff, and the way Dickson went out

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Super finale spoilers
    From what I saw, the True Monado was conferred upon Shulk by the entire party - how they implicitly entrusted him with, and empowered him to protect, their destinies. The Monado is not an instrument of power, because Shulk already had true power - rather it's a symbol, an outward signifier of the ability and the willingness to challenge fate. That is why Zanza with two Monadoes was no worse than he was with one, and why he could not match the mortals he was faced with: it was never a question of power, as in can you move mountains with your arms or crack continents with your sword. It was always about will, a conflict that a god might lose.

Shulk's ascension to divinity was a foregone conclusion; instead of the other characters telling him how great he was acting to aggrandize him, rather it actually caused him to ascend, because he is empowered by their will as well as his own, and through their struggling they have gathered the fuel to drive the engine of destiny

The research stuff was cool, and fine, and I didn't mind it. It was a very fantasy/sci-fi way to look at this creation myth, and it worked because it showed how malleable the world is, the ways it might change in the future, how working together they might make concrete the reality that for Zanza was only a fantasy.

Dickson going out was relaly great, and touching, too. The touching part of it had nothing to do with Dickson himself, similar to how Gadolt's death had little to do with Gadolt; Dickson's relationship with Shulk is one of the most understated in the whole game, but it's very clear that Shulk respects him and loves him, and I managed to follow that through the story, and in the last support with Fiora it's very clear that Shulk is fighting down the need to come to terms with Dickson's betrayal - that is, the loss of him, and his death. And it's in that last moment, when Fiora points out the severity of Dickson's wounds, when Shulk realizes the man who raised him is going to die alone and that he's really gone, lost to him like Shulk hasn't experienced permanent loss up to this point, that you see his face warp as if he's on the edge of a sob, or a scream

Yeah

Yeah it worked pretty all right

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    A small detail I really liked about the ending
    was reyn noticing that the water was now salty

additionally, a thing that may be of interest to you is a short story that was in the art book that is freely available online, takes place directly before the events in bionis core/prison island

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Link me to that thing you said

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    http://dilly-shilly.blogspot.ca/2010/12/xenobade-episode-at-home.html

don't read if you think you can still be spoiled on this game

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well that was nice

I don't think it fits very well with certain character beats in the finale, and I'm sure the prose read better in Japanese, but it was still nice
    I don't mind having the mystery of it, though. I like the idea of Linada, Sharla, and Shulk all figuring out, together, how to clone Fiora's organs and basically give her a full-body-replacement operation

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Yeah it's a neat thing basically that extrapolates on some stuff that didn't really needed to be but w/e
    I did like the timescale it gives to the events in the game though, spending a few weeks colony 9 preparing everyone for what would basically be an end of days battle and recording what they knew of the replica monado just in case

Anyways now begins the intense X speculation and trying to figure out how it's a sequel

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Do you have some ideas you'd like to share, Farg

Do you have some ideas you've been waiting to share for the eighty-three hours I spent beating that game

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AHEM
    Lets start by laying out the facts. The ending of xenoblade places the survivors of the previous world in the middle of the ocean next to the corpse of bionis. There are members of every race alive at the end of xenoblade, mechon and nopon included. It can be concluded that there is indeed a world beyond that small chunk of land in addition to other planets and star systems and the like, if only because it'd be a fucking dick move to put those people down in the middle of water world where they would have no where to expand to, plus it being stated that there are other races and creatures out there in the new world. Therefore its not unreasonable to say that at the end of xenoblade the remnants of bionis are in an ocean somewhere on a planet that has other major landmasses, but ALSO that this world is similar to bionis at least partly in terms of fauna (the starting area shown in many of the existing trailers of X is VERY similar to guar plains in this way). Also functions of the original world like the existence of ether are probably still present, otherwise all of the survivors knowledge and technology would be useless. With this in mind it could be assumed that the survivors are meant to quickly expand into the rest of the world and then eventually into the stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYtvOP8AMY

Now, when this first trailer came out, besides getting super hype, the two main takeaways with regards to continuity with the original game are the use of ether based arts shot from a rifle and also a dude who looks a hell of a lot like shulk just sorta being in the trailer. Originally when we only had this to go on my pet theory was that this would take place sometime after xenoblade, with the newly united bionis/mechonis survivors forging into the frontier. The combination of mechon + homs + high entia know-how would seem to be more than enough to create mechs like the ones shown in the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2PTVi7fl8

This theory of course doesn't work with what was shown in the e3 trailer and accompanying 40 minutes of gameplay. Earth exists, and though in the future, it existed in a state similar enough to ours that the United States existed and had the city of Los Angeles within it, and it can be assumed that other countries existed similarly. The trailer shows non-human entities that look mechon-ish. Most importantly perhaps is that the trailer shows nopon. Earth society doesn't seem to have any other races within it other than basic humans, although aliens obviously exist in this setting (ties in with everything that was said at the end of xenoblade), so it would seem that nopon did NOT come along to the planet X takes place on with the humans.

So if we make some assumptions (which could all easily be disproved by the next glimpse of the game for all we know):
    1. Shulk is still alive, or someone shulk like?
    2. Nopon exist and are native to the planet/didn't come with the earth people
    3. The enviroments shown in the trailers are very reminiscent of areas of bionis

it could be possible that the planet the humans land on in X is the planet the bionis/mechonis survivors 'started' on at the end of xenoblade, and that the characters of X will have some sort of encounter with the people/races of xenoblade

Perhaps when Alvis created a new world without boundaries and full of different life, he did his best to give the bionis/mechonis survivors a new world while bringing back the people overwritten by Zanza. This would explain the existence of earth and the way the xenoblade races would join the new universe in media-res

Of course this isn't getting into the more weird and esoteric stuff like that FUCKING MONADO HAIRCLIP but w/e

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Hm that all seems pretty reasonable
    I think that we'd have to assume that ether is definitely a thing, though, based on the fact that we see ether healing being done in the first trailer

The first trailer, by the way, is WAAAAAAY more hype now that I've played Xenoblade, whereas the second trailer just has a lot more context for me to understand it. Man, that music in the first one!

But anyway ether was the one fundamental elemental force that existed everywhere in the universe as it existed before Shulk and Co. decided that things would be godless; one of the Machina in Machina Village mentions how a Homs can swim, but they should still not go out to sea, because the ether levels are so tremendous out there that it would cook a Homs alive if they made a single mistake. It's not just something produced by living things; it is the very stuff of creation, filling up the infinity, and if Earth exists in this universe then it has to have ether in it too

I don't know if I want to speculate because I don't necessarily want to set myself up and change my expectations in any way, but

Earth is lost and they've come to this planet; the events of the second trailer seem to primarily take place on Earth, or in the fleeing from Earth/to this new planet

And if the Nopon are there, then it definitely seems to be the world of the Bionis

I wonder how they will react to that, coming to a world so much older than Earth, to a place where the gods of creation walked with footsteps that sundered creation

So when is Xenoblade Chronicles X coming out again????

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hey wait a minute
    Did I ever actually use the True Monado in combat? I think I did. Didn't I????

Also will the game seriously lock you out of having the Monado, forever, if you fail to have it equipped when you defeat Zanza in NG+?

Are there people who do Monado-less runs???

also this trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuwBpOLtFps
    There's so many things going on in that trailer

I think the dolls have to be running on Ether, right????

And is that big-ass robot at the end some kind of Mechon relic????

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    One zone in that trailer had a massive circular piece in the background that looked mechony

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    A lot of those shots look like
    Gaur Plains

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Also there seem to be multiple moons. Though the ending is all daytime so that can't be cross referenced or anything

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Well I mean the geography
    would be pretty different to look at in the first place, if this is the world of the Bionis

If only because the Bionis itself ain't so vertical anymore

And to say nothing of the wreckage of the Mechonis

Oh man I wonder if they'd go into what ended up happening to all the Faced Mechon now that they're free of Egil's control!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Well the basic outline of the plot that we know
    humanity is fleeing earth because two warring alien races were fighting over earth as an outpost in a war and it was fucking earth up. Humanity escapes in colony ships and one lands on that planet

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Here's what I know about X

I can be a boy or girl robot

preorder reserved.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

preorder reserved.

Do you mean you can pilot a robot or do you mean you can actually be a robot? Because I must have missed that last part somewhere.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

preorder reserved.

Do you mean you can pilot a robot or do you mean you can actually be a robot? Because I must have missed that last part somewhere.

There's character creation in the game, and I think a robot race is one of the options

• Options
    They showed the character creator off and I didn't see anything about different races

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg