As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Moebius] and MAYBE GABRIEL KNIGHT 4?! Update on the Jane Jensen [KICKSTARTER]

1235»

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Dude kinda looks like the standard Saints Row: the Third's Male Boss.

Beyond that I wasn't too impressed with this trailer.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Vegan has been kidnapped by C2B and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

Not a day goes by without a post from me
    I am a CANINE, but have no fur
    There's many COMICS for you to see
    I am synthetic, but also a CUR
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    The trailer really has a style similar to the first GK. It has painted backgrounds and it even does the comic book frames, but in 3D. I like it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    They have not asked for shipping addresses yet, right? I dug through my email and did not see anything. I have been going through and updating shipping addresses on my Kickstarter stuff.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    That looks great! It's how I always thought a 3D Gabriel Knight should look (like the first one, but in 3D and higher resolution). Can't wait to get it!

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Just a short info that a Gabriel Knight remake is coming for those that might not follow closly.

http://www.gabrielknight20th.com

C2B on
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Just a short info that a Gabriel Knight remake is coming for those that might not follow closly.

Someone needs to make a thread for this.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    I can't help but think that in terms of technology, the first Gabriel Knight has stood the test of time the best.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Achire wrote: »
    I can't help but think that in terms of technology, the first Gabriel Knight has stood the test of time the best.

Yeah totally. It is easily the least aesthetically comprised of all 3.

I absolutely love the painted and the digitalized look of Sierra games of that era.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    ANNOUNCEMENT: MOEBIUS PUBLISHING DEAL AND OFFICAL RELEASE DATE

Dear Pinkerton Road CSG!

Today a press release is going out about Phoenix Online’s new publishing branch, Phoenix Online Publishing, and as part of that press release they will announce that they will be publishing Moebius and that it will be releasing APRIL 15, 2014.

I wanted to let my CSG know about this before the news became public and pre-answer some potential questions.

Why use Phoenix Online Publishing?

Since running our Kickstarter campaign in spring 2012, which funded Moebius, fledging indie studio Pinkerton Road has basically been Jane and Robert along with some contract help here and there. There are a lot of hats that have to be worn that neither of us are used to (or necessarily proficient at) like business, finance, sales, PR, marketing, etc, on top of creative. It reached a point with our first game launch, Moebius, where we had to decide to either hire a full-time business person or work with an external business partner. We decided to do the latter until we can see how these first two games go and what resources we have to grow.

It’s very different, however, going to a publisher with a finished game rather than just an idea. Because Kickstarter funded Moebius, and the game is done (and beautiful—IMHO), we are able to keep creative control and IP on the game. That was our primarily goal going into Kickstarter. So in a business partner we were really just looking for someone who could do the business, distribution, and sales end of the game as well as possible and with as much of our own input as possible.

We looked at various options and in the end it made the most sense for us to work with Phoenix Online Publishing on this. First, they were the developers on Moebius and so they know the game, they love the game, and they have a lot at stake in its success. Second, we have a tight relationship with Phoenix after working with them for the past 2 years, and we know our input and concerns will be heard and we’ll have some say on decisions. Third, Phoenix is just kicking off an aggressive new publishing effort headed by a very smart guy, Scott Steinberg, and their mission is all about story-based games and indie games. So they are a great fit for us.

What will Phoenix Online Publishing be doing for Moebius exactly?

Handling all the digital and retail distribution channels, getting the foreign language editions and other ports done, getting Moebius into as many markets as possible, dealing with contracts and banner assets and ads and all of that stuff. Basically, taking the business end off Jane’s plate so she and Pinkerton Road can focus on making more games.

The official release date is WHAT?

April 15, 2014. Yes, we thought Moebius would ship sooner and honestly, the game could have shipped this month in terms of it being ‘done’. However, since we only signed with Phoenix in January, we needed to give them time to set up the launch properly, have some lead time to get into print publications, set up the main markets, etc. so we can have the most successful game launch possible. In today’s market you get just a few days of really being the new, hot thing before you’re ‘old news’. You need to be ready to exploit that initial launch to the fullest. So I’m sorry—it took me longer than it should have to figure out what publisher we would use and get it arranged, partially because of some family stuff we’ve had going on.

The good news is, we HAVE an official ‘written on stone tablets’ launch date, and we have a partner which can help us come out with a bang. I really, really appreciate the patience the CSG has had with us. We really haven’t gotten any complaints from people angry that we haven’t shipped on time AND I THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES FOR THAT! I look forward to our group playthru in April and having a real party to celebrate our first launch.

When with the CSG get the PC and Mac builds? What about Linux?

The English PC/Mac builds will go out to the CSG just before the official launch – like probably the day before or a few days before. The Linux build will follow probably 1-3 months later, once we have upgraded the Unity engine to a version that supports Linux and can test it properly. We’ll let you know the dates for the foreign language editions as soon as we have them.

All the best,

Jane

• Options
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    fuck. yes.

This was a loooooong investment, but I am glad to see a return on it.

Jane Jensen, back in the game.

Downloading the demo now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I hate to be that guy, but every time I see Moebius and Kickstarter in this thread, I hope you're all talking about this game instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moebius:_The_Orb_of_Celestial_Harmony

And then I remember it's not, and I become sad.

Then I remember I'm like, one of seven people who enjoyed the two Moebius games, and...yeah. Don't mind me.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    C2B wrote: »
    Just a short info that a Gabriel Knight remake is coming for those that might not follow closely.

What a colossal waste of time. Make a new GK story or remake GK3.

Notice that remade Gabriel is closer to GK2 Gabriel.

I get tired of people banking on sure things and not something new.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    They have to tell the beginning of the story again because it has been two decades since it came out, and not everyone is willing to install and play through something that ancient.

JJ has also said she has a new GK story or three just waiting to be made, but she needs to re-establish her fan base.

And how is a decades-old adventure game series a "sure thing"? This was a hella risky move for activision and I am glad they let her back at the license.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    The story was a hit, so I call it a sure thing.

• Options
    I really hope they send out an email requesting shipping addresses for the physical incentives from the Kickstarter. Getting kinda close.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    They have to tell the beginning of the story again because it has been two decades since it came out, and not everyone is willing to install and play through something that ancient.
    Very much so. There are lots of great and good games that came out before the majority of today's gamers ever laid fingers on mouse buttons, and even when these games are available many of them are hampered by certain archaic tech and design decisions. The visuals are one thing, but a lot of these classics at the very least could do with a design rehaul - look at something like System Shock, which could be improved massively by more standard controls. To my mind, this is more justified than e.g. black and white classics being colourised or the like.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    I understand the economic necessity, but I winced when I saw that Gabriel Knight was using 3D models.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Moebuis is pretty tight. I am about 30min into it now. Kickstarter people got to download it early. They are totally following the music and art style of GK1. It is just now with high res art and 3D models. I am sure they will just use the same engine for the GK1 remake. I would recommend cranking up the anti-aliasing to make the models blend in with the 2D backgrounds better.

It has a great opener. High quality music.

I am now ok with the GK1 remake. Maybe we will get a GK3 remake that improves the story and gameplay. I just wish they did not have to rehash everything.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    This was a hella risky move for activision and I am glad they let her back at the license.

Wait, does Activision actually pay for the remake?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    New publisher is born.

http://youtu.be/F6Ac6xzV8dc

Krathoon on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    That's totally not Nathan Drake and Elena, no sir.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It has a great opener. High quality music.

It's bound to be, it's Robert Holmes. He's fantastic at creating atmosphere. I loved what he did for Gray Matter.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    Is the game really as bad as reviews make it out to be?