As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hero Academy] Now on Steam with the TF2 Team! (PA League now actually works!)

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    @desertchicken this is a really interesting match we're having! Your Dwarf Fortress is such a tough nut to crack. I thought I had tilted the scales, but you did a clever job of rescuing your Annihilator, and your latest double scroll move is simultaneously insane and brilliant. I'm going to have to do some thinking on how to respond.

You're giving me a new appreciation for the Annihilator. I had thought of him as little more than a glorified Archer with low health, but his knockback ability has been a serious element to this match: I keep on having to scrap formations I want to put my guys into because I know you'll ruin the setup with one shot.

Fun fun!
    I'm sure Wonderpug will post the actual results for all his challenges, but he beat me... He beat me like everyone else has so far.

Maybe I should play solitaire...
    Are you interested in an unranked coaching match? I thought you did pretty well in our match, but there were a few moves I can think of where you had much stronger options, for instance, putting a weapon upgrade on a knight is almost always a bad idea. Just let me know if you're interested!

I'd be down for that. Also yeah, I've finally kind of learned how the units work. Like you give your weapons to archers and wizards, or the ninja, and knights just get armor so they can hold power up stone positions, defend, etc.

Starting to get the hang of it, but yeah, I'm down for an unranked lesson.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Updated!

I counted the timeouts as wins for their opponents. The two timeouts for @initiatefailure sound like I might need to retire him. @MNC Dover and @Brew, is he still active in your games?

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Yeah that's my fault. I'll make an effort to play out my games with everyone this weekend (because they're fun), but I should probably just be a non-league player right now.

Very little free time right now and when I do have it I haven't been turning to mobile gaming. So I apologize to everyone I've been neglecting

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    Jacoby wrote: »
    Updated!

I counted the timeouts as wins for their opponents. The two timeouts for @initiatefailure sound like I might need to retire him. @MNC Dover and @Brew, is he still active in your games?
    Yeah, it's been 8 days in our game.
    @initiatefailure no worries, hope you get some free time back and we can pick this up again.

On a related note, my game with Cmdr_Keen shows 10 days since his last move.
    @Cmdr_Keen hello?

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Updated!

Haven't heard from him either. No big deal though, I know life steps in from time to time. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'm going to leave it here for my update tomorrow: @Jacoby was defeated by @ToddJewell. I'm realizing that I'm not as good as I'd like to be at this game. Maybe I should get some @wonderpug training when I have time. :)

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    !Result for @Jacoby: @brew defeated @mnc dover.

I don't even know how that game got so out of hand so quickly. I could blame a bad hand but that wouldn't be the whole story.

I think you let me get too far ahead on that big crystal damage and that put too much pressure on you defensively in two turns later. I got pretty lucky with having witch doctor sword upgraded pressuring that crystal early and then just the right amount of tidal waves and meat to respond to your tricks. GG though! I'm up for a rematch if you want to.

steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Wasn't sure if I was supposed to post this or the winner was supposed to post this

!Result for @Jacoby: @wonderpug defeated @amateurhour.

Still learning the ropes. All of my games to this point have gotten down to where my opponent and I have like three players left with no power ups and then I just go to shit.

Do most players try to just chess it up and remove all opposing player units, or do they go for the crystals and risk the sacrifice, or a mix of both?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Brew wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    !Result for @Jacoby: @brew defeated @mnc dover.

I don't even know how that game got so out of hand so quickly. I could blame a bad hand but that wouldn't be the whole story.

I think you let me get too far ahead on that big crystal damage and that put too much pressure on you defensively in two turns later. I got pretty lucky with having witch doctor sword upgraded pressuring that crystal early and then just the right amount of tidal waves and meat to respond to your tricks. GG though! I'm up for a rematch if you want to.

Yeah that Witch pressure was killer. I had to do something to stop you before you got too far ahead. That typhoon sucked, but nothing made me drop my shoulders more than the Shaman appearing. I literally said, "Oh of course he's got a Shaman." :D

That sorta stuff happens though. I know I've won more than my fair share of games because a card refill netted me a scroll or potion right when I needed it. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PetasusPetasus Registered User regular
    2 results

!Result for @Jacoby: @Sploozoo defeated @Petasus.

!Result for @Jacoby: @DesertChicken defeated @Petasus.

And I'd better get on with attempting to win a game for a change so:

!Challenge for @Jacoby: @Petasus versus @Jacoby!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Petasus wrote: »
    2 results

!Result for @Jacoby: @Sploozoo defeated @Petasus.

!Result for @Jacoby: @DesertChicken defeated @Petasus.

And I'd better get on with attempting to win a game for a change so:

!Challenge for @Jacoby: @Petasus versus @Jacoby!

OOOHHH!! Indirect smack talk. The best kind of smack talk. :D

Edit: Wait, Golf and I are at the bottom of the list. Probably best to challenge one of us if looking for a win.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Do games ever disappear from the list after no moves have been taken in n days?

Also, from the official forums Monday:
    Hey everyone - 

I wanted to give you a heads-up that in an upcoming update (likely next week, but it's still being wrapped up, so we can't be certain) we will be revising the taunt system, among other things. One of the biggest requests we've had from the community with regard to taunts is to make them able to be earned by playing matches. That's precisely what we're going to be doing. When this new system goes into place, they will no longer be available for direct purchase. If you wanted to stock up on a handful of taunts before we change to the earned system, you've got about a week-ish to do so. 

With regard to the other details of the 1.2.3 update, we'll have more info available soon. It will not include a new team. It will include some cool offline content. More details soon! 

Thanks!

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    If you're playing someone you found randomly, they forfeit after 7 days inactivity. If you invited someone by name, was invited, or did a rematch, they forfeit after 14 days.

• Options
    Updated!

- Since it's been over 7 days for @Cmdr_Keen vs @Brew, I've counted it as Brew defeating Cmdr_Keen
    - Since @initiatefailure gave us a heads-up, I won't count any more late games as losses for him.
    - On that note, if you think you might need to go long, just make a quick post in here about it.
    - The rule here is that you get 7 days, unless you let us know you'll go long. However, that's up to the opponent. If you choose to give extra time, that's up to you. If it's too long, post it as a win.
    - @amateurhour: What people go for seems to depend on the situation. One bit of advice I've heard is to switch to smashing crystals if you can't beat them on killing units, or vice versa. Also, some teams are better for crystal smashing than others. Dwarves, for instance, can do crystal damage even if the crystal would normally be protected due to splash damage. The Engineer's special square boost helps a lot here too.
    -@Petasus: I see what you did there, and I don't care for it. :)

• Options
    Darian wrote: »
    Do games ever disappear from the list after no moves have been taken in n days?

Also, from the official forums Monday:
    Hey everyone - 

I wanted to give you a heads-up that in an upcoming update (likely next week, but it's still being wrapped up, so we can't be certain) we will be revising the taunt system, among other things. One of the biggest requests we've had from the community with regard to taunts is to make them able to be earned by playing matches. That's precisely what we're going to be doing. When this new system goes into place, they will no longer be available for direct purchase. If you wanted to stock up on a handful of taunts before we change to the earned system, you've got about a week-ish to do so. 

With regard to the other details of the 1.2.3 update, we'll have more info available soon. It will not include a new team. It will include some cool offline content. More details soon! 

Thanks!

I love that RE continues to support their game and listens to the community for feedback. As for taunts, I never use them, well I used 1 to see what it did and accidentally hit it another time so I still have 8 remaining, but unlocking them via play is a good idea. I think they should leave them available as purchasable as well. Why shut down a potential revenue stream? Unless their internal data shows that no one is buying them anyway.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I just beat a guy who played the most random Council team. He dropped fire on his own side, blindly rushed units into my attack tile enhanced Witch, x3 deployed Archers then x3 deployed helmets on each of them, attack upgraded x2 Knights and x1 Cleric, scrolled an Archer than ran away from a perfect kill on my Chieftain or Witch, and then rushed my crystal with units one at a time. It goes without saying that I crushed him.

The best part though? This guy was literally making his moves as I submitted mine. Like the fastest turnaround I've ever played. So friggin' weird.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    !Result for @Jacoby: @wonderpug defeated @hlprmnky (Callow)
    This was a while ago, but the OP shows it as an active game so I probably forgot to report it.

!Result for @Jacoby: @wonderpug defeated @DesertChicken
    Really fun match! I was Dark Elves vs. Chicken's Dwarves on the map with 4 crystals, offset.

Chicken did a great job getting a good variety of units deployed, which is important for Dwarves more than any other team. He had 3 friggin' paladins out, was wreaking havoc with an upgraded annihilator and other upgraded powerhouses. It was a very surgical process to try and whittle away his defenses, but eventually I got enough forward momentum to start making a push for his crystals. I abused the Dwarven difficulty with stomping to use resurrects & soul harvests to limp my way to some extra hits on his crystals, and finally got them smashed.

• Options
    Updated! I also finally did the rating update I had scheduled for the weekend. Here's the new standings:

• Options
    DesertChickenDesertChicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    !Result for @Jacoby: @DesertChicken defeated @Void19

@wonderpug, I think I even managed to take down all your healers! And yet that upgraded Impaler kept me at bay.

DesertChicken on
    PSN/XBLA/SteamID- DesertChicken
    LoL - Renon DeSaxous
  • Options
    @DesertChicken: I don't see Void19 in the player list...

• Options
    It's been dead here lately! Time to shake things up!

!Challenge for @Jacoby:

@Brew versus @Sploozoo
    @Brew versus @DesertChicken
    @Brew versus @Theodore_Floosevelt
    @Brew versus @corin7
    @Brew versus @wonderpug

You have no chance to survive, make your time!

Also, it looks like InitiateFailure is back among the living so our game resumed!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, I just downloaded this yesterday and still learning the ropes. But if anyone is interested in stomping a noob, feel free to start a game! Name is Inksplat.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Hey, sorry for being so out of it, especially in game play last week, I've been making turns within 7 days, but just haven't had much free time, and only really able to play on my iPad since I shattered my iPhone screen 8-o Anyway, gonna be getting some matches going soon, and will be doing some challenges after I get my backlog cleared up some.

• Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    Sorry for going ghost for a while, been busy with work.

Anyhoo

!Result for @Jacoby: @Sploozoo defeated @Corin7

This game was close, like crazy close. In the endgame I had a single Dwarf Paladin and corin7 a single Tribe Warrior. We both were injured and on opposite sides of the board, and either of us could kill the other with three hits.

We literally danced around the board for two weeks, and in the end he moved into a vulnerable position. I don't think he accidently made the mistake, just laid down because the game would really never end.

Really the match should have been a stalemate.

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    Updated! @InkSplat, I've added you to the "Other Players" list. If you want to join the League, let me know. (Check the OP for how to do that.)

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Updated! @InkSplat, I've added you to the "Other Players" list. If you want to join the League, let me know. (Check the OP for how to do that.)

Thanks. And will do. Just going to hold on until I get the hang of things a little better, and know I'll be interested in playing consistently.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    PetasusPetasus Registered User regular
    Hi Inksplat
    I'll start a game with you and happily discuss tactics etc... In comments as we go if you want to treat it as learning. Although given my results so far i might not be your best guide!

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Brew wrote: »
    It's been dead here lately! Time to shake things up!

!Challenge for @Jacoby:

@Brew versus @Sploozoo
    @Brew versus @DesertChicken
    @Brew versus @Theodore_Floosevelt
    @Brew versus @corin7
    @Brew versus @wonderpug

You have no chance to survive, make your time!

Also, it looks like InitiateFailure is back among the living so our game resumed!

Ohoho! You dare to make a play for my throne, young Brew? Did you forget what happened during our last game? I did!

Also @Jacoby, commander Keen disappeared from my game as well. We had only played two or three turns, so I'd say just scratch it.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Golf153Golf153 Registered User regular
    Woot! Woot! For last place! Okay time to work my way out of the hole.

!Challenge for @Jacoby: @Golf153 versus @kime!
    !Challenge for @Jacoby: @Golf153 versus @wonderpug!
    !Challenge for @Jacoby: @Golf153 versus @schmads!
    !Challenge for @Jacoby: @Golf153 versus @Jacoby!
    !Challenge for @Jacoby: @Golf153 versus @MNC Dover!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Updated! (Yeah, not much else to say here.)

• Options
    Golf153 wrote: »

!Challenge Golf153 versus wonderpug!

Oof. And I'm on my way to helping you do just that. I've been trying to shift more to shooting instinctually from the hip instead of obsessively calculating every turn, but that does lead to more rookie mistakes. I had it in my head that leaving my impaler out in your territory would lead to her getting knocked out at most (unless you used a scroll), but now I've wasted a scroll and given you a head start on the crystal race.
    :?

• Options

Oof. And I'm on my way to helping you do just that. I've been trying to shift more to shooting instinctually from the hip instead of obsessively calculating every turn, but that does lead to more rookie mistakes. I had it in my head that leaving my impaler out in your territory would lead to her getting knocked out at most (unless you used a scroll), but now I've wasted a scroll and given you a head start on the crystal race.

I wouldn't get self defeating so early, I've lost games with this kind of lead before. ;-)

However, I don't know about that void monk sacrifice??? I wondering if you meant for him to be a one turn meat shield for the crystal, so that your second impaler could get in play.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Yup. You had me in a bad, bad, spot, so first void monk bought me time to remove your phantom claim to the purple tile and let me get some better cards in my hand. Second monk sacrifice let me get in place for the impaler assassination on your upgraded necro.

I'm still at a disadvantage, but aside from our imbalance in deck reserves and crystal damage, I'm down two scrolls and a weapon upgrade, while you're down zero scrolls and two weapon upgrades. That's mostly an ugly situation for me, but if I play things right (and watch out for your scrolls) I can leverage my weapon upgrade advantage to put you in some rough spots. Sort of like we're pitting your better burst damage against my better sustained damage.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Sorry that game took so long to play Golf. It was neat seeing it devolve into a battle for attrition though at the end.

Hey on another note what do you do to get your phantom powered up against tribe.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Okay, I'm back from a work trip and have not nearly enough e-bruises, so:

!Challenge for @Jacoby: @hlprmnky versus @MNC Dover
    !Challenge for @Jacoby: @hlprmnky versus @Jacoby
    !Challenge for @Jacoby: @hlprmnky versus @schmads
    !Challenge for @Jacoby: @hlprmnky versus @wonderpug (rematchuuuuu~~~)
    !Challenge for @Jacoby: @hlprmnky versus @kime

May the thrashings I am about to receive prove instructive!

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Yup. You had me in a bad, bad, spot, so first void monk bought me time to remove your phantom claim to the purple tile and let me get some better cards in my hand. Second monk sacrifice let me get in place for the impaler assassination on your upgraded necro.

I'm still at a disadvantage, but aside from our imbalance in deck reserves and crystal damage, I'm down two scrolls and a weapon upgrade, while you're down zero scrolls and two weapon upgrades. That's mostly an ugly situation for me, but if I play things right (and watch out for your scrolls) I can leverage my weapon upgrade advantage to put you in some rough spots. Sort of like we're pitting your better burst damage against my better sustained damage.

Well played. The fully upgraded void monk in my lines ruined all my advantages. Shouldn't have scrolled off the attack tile. I think you didn't move your back line for like 5 turns.

!Result for @Jacoby: @wonderpug defeated @Golf153.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Very fun match! I think you got overly afraid of my super monk. You were way ahead of me in both unit count and the crystal race, so if you had just ignored the monk (other than avoiding splash damage formations) I think you'd have been able to get my crystal. You can deploy and advance faster than an uber unit can kill, so your only real obstacle would have been my attempts to create a wall of elves around my crystal.

• Options
    DesertChickenDesertChicken Registered User regular
    @DesertChicken: I don't see Void19 in the player list...

Oh lol, wrong league.

PSN/XBLA/SteamID- DesertChicken
    LoL - Renon DeSaxous
  • Options

Same here. I think I'm having more fun but I'm definately playing worse :P
    Or maybe everyone else is getting better while I stagnated!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Very fun match! I think you got overly afraid of my super monk. You were way ahead of me in both unit count and the crystal race, so if you had just ignored the monk (other than avoiding splash damage formations) I think you'd have been able to get my crystal. You can deploy and advance faster than an uber unit can kill, so your only real obstacle would have been my attempts to create a wall of elves around my crystal.

Looking back at the last round before I gave up. You had a weapon upgraded necro on the attack tile protecting your last crystal. Even if I deployed past the void monk, I would have moved right into his range.

Anyway, would you be up for an unranked match?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]