As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

18911131444

Posts

  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    It seems that you can up your skill level for both weapon type, and individual weapons. I also noticed some Orange named weapons had things like Synergy: Machinist on them. Makes me think that your choice in the beginning isn't entirely cosmetic.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I actually really like that! It means when I find a weapon I like, I can keep it for a long time. Also, find other weapons that I like.

  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    There not being a huge jump on the verticle progression of the weapons was one of the things I really liked about the game. It insured that when I got into the game sometime on saturday afternoon I could play with people who had been playing all day Friday and still hold some level of my own with them.

    I didn't top the charts but I wasn't dead weight either.

    Edit: also, urge to spend $48 rising. . .

    Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Huh. It turns out Infectors, the headcrab cancer guns, come in a variety of flavors that act differently.

    One of them is apparently a huge dot without much in the way of crab action. One spawns a crab every fifth shot. One spawns two crabs every fifth shot. And one spawns crabs when the target dies.

    So if you have an on death cancer gun, you can load a target up, swap weapons to something more damaging, blow them to hell, and watch your freshly spawned headcrabs go hog wild on everything in the area. Hugs for all!

    Here I thought Infectors were just an awkward one off weapon, but not so! There's a lot of variety in the guns.


    One thing I don't know is exactly what the special damage types all do. I think I saw my shield getting refilled by one when it procced, but it might have been doing something else.

    Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I was using the DOT gun in beta, it was kinda powerful but didn't seem breaking.

    Also, they all seem to spawn crabs when the target dies. Including the dot gun.

  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Huh. It turns out Infectors, the headcrab cancer guns, come in a variety of flavors that act differently.

    One of them is apparently a huge dot without much in the way of crab action. One spawns a crab every fifth shot. One spawns two crabs every fifth shot. And one spawns crabs when the target dies.

    So if you have an on death cancer gun, you can load a target up, swap weapons to something more damaging, blow them to hell, and watch your freshly spawned headcrabs go hog wild on everything in the area.

    Here I thought Infectors were just an awkward one off weapon, but not so! There's a lot of variety in the guns.


    One thing I don't know is exactly what the special damage types all do. I think I saw my shield getting refilled by one when it procced, but it might have been doing something else.

    I think the spinny purple looking icon has a chance to fill up part of your health/shield.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Ahah, so it wasn't my imagination.

    I rather liked that gun. It was a spread fire auto shotgun, and I never seemed to die when I used it

    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So is this an FPS or third-person? I'm kind of curious but FPS's make me dizzy. ^^;

  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So is this an FPS or third-person? I'm kind of curious but FPS's make me dizzy. ^^;

    Third person, can't zoom in and out but it isn't so bad.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    http://orcz.com/Defiance:_Arkfall_Codes has all 120 codes now, if you want your bonuses. Takes some time, but might be worth it depending on how stoked you are for copy/pasting.

    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    Decoy
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Do it, the Scavenger Ego Perk alone is gonna be useful.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    So what's going to be the scrip sink in this game? I never really had to buy much of anything. The gun and mod upgrades seemed pretty minor.

    There wasn't any reason to change my weapon for most of the beta and the mod options weren't enough to change what I already had. In fact, I think all my used weapons and mods were loot drops. I bought a couple things to try out, but ultimately was just for testing purposes.

    The devs said that the beta build was a couple months old, which makes more excited actually.

  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So what's going to be the scrip sink in this game? I never really had to buy much of anything. The gun and mod upgrades seemed pretty minor.

    There wasn't any reason to change my weapon for most of the beta and the mod options weren't enough to change what I already had. In fact, I think all my used weapons and mods were loot drops. I bought a couple things to try out, but ultimately was just for testing purposes.

    The devs said that the beta build was a couple months old, which makes more excited actually.

    The only real use I found for scrip in the beta was for buying stuff out of the Supplies merchants to convert into Resources to add mods to my favorite guns and then buying the level 1 mods from the Mods merchant or for buying keys for Lockboxes where even the highest tier (Tier 4) only cost 4,000 scrip. Had a fully decked out LMG that just felt Ash levels of groovy.

    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I never did play with the mod thing. Can you add mod slots to weapons that lack them for dosh, or is that just fantasy caught in a land slide?

    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    I never did play with the mod thing. Can you add mod slots to weapons that lack them for dosh, or is that just fantasy caught in a land slide?

    The green dosh, the 'resources' stuff. It only comes after a certain EGO Level though.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    I never did play with the mod thing. Can you add mod slots to weapons that lack them for dosh, or is that just fantasy caught in a land slide?

    The green dosh, the 'resources' stuff. It only comes after a certain EGO Level though.

    And it's random which mod slot is added, took 10 minutes, and the cost went up if I wanted to add another slot to the same weapon.

  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    I never did play with the mod thing. Can you add mod slots to weapons that lack them for dosh, or is that just fantasy caught in a land slide?

    The green dosh, the 'resources' stuff. It only comes after a certain EGO Level though.

    And it's random which mod slot is added, took 10 minutes, and the cost went up if I wanted to add another slot to the same weapon.

    It's important to note that to add a slot to an item, it has to be unequipped from all your loadouts or it won't show up as an option. I didn't learn this until I was at the end of the available quests for the beta.

  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Ohs! That's good to know.

    My favorite weapons will be awesome!

    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Yeah. One bad thing about coming into the fray this late is I feel at a loss when it comes to understanding a lot the little quirks within the game. Especially in regards to a lot of the most basic gameplay systems as well. Obviously it'll come with time and having more documentation available, so I'm not too terribly concerned.

    One thing I am wondering is the value any supporting roles will play, or if it's really just better to go balls out with DPS all the time. I'm also curious about how the 4 skills react to using a "healing" gun. (Side note: if those aren't an actual thing, please correct me. I was under the impression that they were. Ive only heard of them and never saw one).

  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    You will definitely benefit from someone bringing a healing gun for the boss fights in co-op maps.

  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The medi-gun is pretty baller. See, it has infinite ammo reserve and serves as damage on one click and healing on the other. So it starts at 100% and winds down if you're damaging or healing, then recharges when you reload.

    What's awesome about the gun is that you can heal yourself if you have nobody in your reticle! I was using it with my grenade launcher to top myself up between bombing runs.

    Also serves as reliable damage if you're completely out of ammo and don't feel like finding a crate.

    Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Oh nice. As someone who loves a supporting role, I fully expect me to have a medi-gun on me most of the time then if its not going to 100% gimp me.

  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I appreciated that I could swap weapons from my inventory in the middle of combat, so long as I could get away from the bullets long enough. I didn't think to test if I could swap loadouts.

  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »
    Oh nice. As someone who loves a supporting role, I fully expect me to have a medi-gun on me most of the time then if its not going to 100% gimp me.

    You will for sure be a handy man to have around.

    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    For anyone else who preordered this from Steam, like I did, it appears we have unlocked Reward 1. Also, looks like we're 18% into Reward 2...

    Reward 1
    Steam Exclusive Title “Steam Powered”
    +5 inventory slots
    A-Tex Growler: Durable and reliable transportation in a no-nonsense package. The Petrahol super charged engine will give you a boost power when it’s most needed. This dark green camo patterned quad with heavy duty suspension is just what an Arkhunter needs to conquer the rough and hazardous terraformed terrain.

    I'm doubtful we'll hit Reward 2, but you never know.

    Decoy on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2013
    Hmm. It's possible - I think we were at ~80% of reward 1 two days ago.

    And while Rift is a great game too, it's reward 3 I want to hit, but that's rather unlikely.

    Echo on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    STOP MAKING ME WANT TO PREORDER

    What is this I don't even.
    Seidkona
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    one of ussss

  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Are they still having beta testing periods or is the game on its way to launch?

  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    one of ussss

    Noooooo.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Launches next Tuesday.

  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »
    For anyone else who preordered this from Steam, like I did, it appears we have unlocked Reward 1. Also, looks like we're 18% into Reward 2...

    Reward 1
    Steam Exclusive Title “Steam Powered”
    +5 inventory slots
    A-Tex Growler: Durable and reliable transportation in a no-nonsense package. The Petrahol super charged engine will give you a boost power when it’s most needed. This dark green camo patterned quad with heavy duty suspension is just what an Arkhunter needs to conquer the rough and hazardous terraformed terrain.

    I'm doubtful we'll hit Reward 2, but you never know.

    Is that because Reward 2 has a lower incremental requirement or was there just a huge surge from 80 to 18?

  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Bobble wrote: »
    Is that because Reward 2 has a lower incremental requirement or was there just a huge surge from 80 to 18?

    Steam doesn't give any hard numbers, so I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the next tier gets a lower total if the previous tier was slow.

  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    Was able to sell my Dota2 Dragonclaw Hook for $55 worth of steamfunbucks through the market, so Digital Deluxe version get. Whee. can't wait for tuesday.

    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    Echo
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Just watched the show. Haha, man, so bad.

    What is this I don't even.
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Just watched the show. Haha, man, so bad.

    I'm not sure how? I know there's a 15 min preview, but the show doesn't come out until a week after the game releases.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Just watched the show. Haha, man, so bad.

    I'm not sure how? I know there's a 15 min preview, but the show doesn't come out until a week after the game releases.

    The 15 minute preview thing.

    What is this I don't even.
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    You only need the 15.

  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I didn't think it was that bad overall.

    Characters seemed good, if too forced, but it is a pilot. I suspect the interactions between the two main characters in the game were done after their performance in the show, since it comes off better in the game.

    Terrestrial CGI is much more obvious than its counterpart in vacuum, though. That part was kinda bad. I can get beyond it, but it was bad.

Sign In or Register to comment.