As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

• DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I've been toying with the idea of creating a general TeamSpeak 3 server for PA's general use. I prefer TS3 over Vent and I have server space to do it so...

Server: finalack.com ( or 74.207.227.159 )
    Port: default - leave blank
    Password: PA's Usual Password for these things

You can download the latest TeamSpeak Client from here : http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads

Right now I have it set to 100 users, but my license is 250.

I have already started creating the channel structures for various games. The main lobby is muted as to prevent people from walking into conversations on connect. Also for those interested the server this is hosted on is based out of Atlanta, GA. So it should be rather friendly to our Euro brethren.

I have also gotten the server added to the main list:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/39448/pa-forums-ventrilo-server-theres-also-a-teamspeak-server/p1

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
    SeidkonaJust_Bri_ThanksCorriganXTPSouMrVyngaardRetabamojojoeoDarkewolfeAcharenuschocoboliciousaunsoph
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Nice. bookmarked that ts3 server

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Uh, so, a couple things:

1. I have been wandering aimlessly and doing whatever random crap I come across. This is okay, right? I'm not expected to follow some obscure path?

2. How do I get into the clan/group/guild/supergroup/whatever they're calling it? I THINK I'm DasEnder. Pretty sure.

3. I got a code in an email after buying. It said there are codes out on Earth to get. Uh...do I have to, like, wander the game? Or is it wander the internet?

4. I have no idea what I'm doing.

5. This game runs pretty well on my crap computer. I'm fairly impressed, only a few instances of invisible guns. No instances of slideshow, nor any of invisible enemies.

6. Is there a point to having more than one of the action skills? I could see how building towards a second would be possible, but arduous.

7. Why are some of the percentages so low? Let's see, EGO point for 10% damage, or 1% increased drops. 1%?

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Ender wrote: »
    Uh, so, a couple things:

1. I have been wandering aimlessly and doing whatever random crap I come across. This is okay, right? I'm not expected to follow some obscure path?

2. How do I get into the clan/group/guild/supergroup/whatever they're calling it? I THINK I'm DasEnder. Pretty sure.

3. I got a code in an email after buying. It said there are codes out on Earth to get. Uh...do I have to, like, wander the game? Or is it wander the internet?

4. I have no idea what I'm doing.

5. This game runs pretty well on my crap computer. I'm fairly impressed, only a few instances of invisible guns. No instances of slideshow, nor any of invisible enemies.

6. Is there a point to having more than one of the action skills? I could see how building towards a second would be possible, but arduous.

7. Why are some of the percentages so low? Let's see, EGO point for 10% damage, or 1% increased drops. 1%?

ill try...

1) Thats totally fine. Look at the map- story missions push you into tougher turf- side missions build you up and reward you with gun mods. Wander, enjoy. Team up- running with people is a lot of fun in this.

2) CorriganX can get you in the clan.

3) If its a pre-order code you can enter it on your account page. if its an arkfall code you can enter it on the my ego page on the defiance website. http://www.defiance.com/en/my-ego/

4) need more input. ALt rolls.... its very effective.

5) I cannot help you there either as i have a monster pc. I will say I get weird graphical stuff from time to time. Alt tabbing means when i return my head may or may not be visible.

6) Kinda no. there is no cap- you can unlock the entuire ego board. But you can only equip one skill at a time. So it makes you flexible in a group or solo setting - but you can only actively access 1 skill at a time.

7) The perks are pretty much for flavor. the percentages you list are kinda apples and oranges- damage to drop rate... but those are the choices you gotta make. Some of them do seem wonky. If my shield pops I runn at 150% rate. its pretty fast.... seemed nutty.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    You can wander around doing whatever you want, you mostly follow the story missions which lead you to new areas and unlock more side missions. The codes they're talking about are http://orcz.com/Defiance:_Arkfall_Codes enter those and you get a lot of new items. If you want into the clan I just have to catch you online or you catch me while im online. Im going to be promoting officers so they can invite as well soon as we can actually use clan to communicate.

Most importantly just have fun. Queue up for pug coop matchmaking, do competative, drive bikes fast. Do the pursuits (hit f2) and just enjoy the game.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    I am enjoying the game, very much. I'm glad for the "do whatever the crap you wanna" system. I'm also glad the EGO system isn't so unbalancing as to make that much of a difference between the EGO levels. If you're 200, and I'm only 100, doesn't make that big of a difference.

CorriganX wrote: »
    You can wander around doing whatever you want, you mostly follow the story missions which lead you to new areas and unlock more side missions. The codes they're talking about are http://orcz.com/Defiance:_Arkfall_Codes enter those and you get a lot of new items. If you want into the clan I just have to catch you online or you catch me while im online. Im going to be promoting officers so they can invite as well soon as we can actually use clan to communicate.

Most importantly just have fun. Queue up for pug coop matchmaking, do competative, drive bikes fast. Do the pursuits (hit f2) and just enjoy the game.

Also, that website should be in the OP. All the codes...now to just spend an hour entering them. :P

• AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    Some information for doing missions:

1: You can only do one mission at a time, when you have an active mission all the other missions in the world disappear.

2: There are main missions, side missions, time trials(I guess these are a race), and hotshot trials(kind of a horde mode where it gives you a gun and tells you to kill infinitely respawning enemies for points with server-wide leaderboards). Completing missions gives you keycodes(in addition to whatever loot/xp/money it promises) which you need to buy lockboxes which is basically gambling for items.

3: After doing a main mission, the game does not automatically direct you to the next main mission, sometimes it doesn't even pop up until you've done a side mission or two.

4: The red icons and circles on the map are arkfalls. There are major and minor arkfalls. A minor arkfall will show up as a lone red icon. A major arkfall will show up as a large red circle, sometimes with multiple minor arkfalls inside it. These are public events that involve shooting lots of enemies and a large boss encounter for the major arkfalls. You can easily see over 100 players at a major arkfall.

Generally speaking, you will do a main mission, and that will open up a bunch of side missions between it and the next main mission. I tend to try to wrap up all the side missions before progressing the story but you can do pretty much what you like. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the side missions expire.

When in doubt, if you don't have an active mission and don't know where to go, open the map, find the nearest orange icon and see if it's a mission type you want, then right click on it to set it as your waypoint which gives you a handy marker and a line to follow on the minimap.

• ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    so is it account name then toon nick? or toon nick then account name? either way Id love an invite.

whelm/shapeshifter

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2013
    You can search for either, but you have to be online. If you're online now friend me and i'll see the notice and invite

Corrigan or CorriganX

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    on lock boxes-

tier 2 = 8 keys - 2 guns
    tier 3 = 24 keys - 3 guns
    tier 4 = 64 keys - 4 guns

No one has done the mat yet... the hope is higher tiers = higher chances at fantastic loot as your key per loot goes up dramatically. tier 2 is 4 keys per gun, tier 4 is 16 keys per gun. Thats not small potatoes.

anecdotally i have gotten nothing but greens from 2's and 3's have yielded some blues. Im going to hold my keys for tier 3/ 4 only.

Tier 4 has given me multiple purples, most of the time 2/4 of them are purple.

n1woEHJ.png
    edited April 2013
    I got an orange smg from a tier 2? I think, one of the lockboxs from steam I just opened them all when I finished the starting area, so it was a very low level didn't last long before I had something better.

really ugly looking as well, and my guy holds it weird. more so how it holds it I guess makes me dislike the look.

http://i.imgur.com/rCwaK9H.png

got the invite corriganx, but how can you tell it went through in the game?

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Word to the wise, be careful about using the keyboard to buy things from the lockbox station. I was trying to buy a massive amount of keycodes with the mouse and got sick of having to click everything manually, so I thought I'd get fancy and use the keyboard to buy them. Apparently the selection move around after you buy something. Basically meaning I accidentally bought a mod cache and "wasted" a bunch of keycodes.

Totally my fault for trying to speed through mass purchases but come on... moving selections?!? That's just silly.

Edit: As a side note, completed all MT pursuits. w00t!

Decoy on
    Decoy wrote: »

I can't seem to get a silver in that shotgun challenge where you need to protect supplies.

steam_sig.png
    Word to the wise, be careful about using the keyboard to buy things from the lockbox station. I was trying to buy a massive amount of keycodes with the mouse and got sick of having to click everything manually, so I thought I'd get fancy and use the keyboard to buy them. Apparently the selection move around after you buy something. Basically meaning I accidentally bought a mod cache and "wasted" a bunch of keycodes.

Totally my fault for trying to speed through mass purchases but come on... moving selections?!? That's just silly.

Yeah I've had that same thing happen to me. Way around it is to sort by Name that way it stays at the top. otherwise you take your goddamn luck. The UI for everrrrryyyyything is super fucked.

n1woEHJ.png
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

I can't seem to get a silver in that shotgun challenge where you need to protect supplies.

The trick for me was circling a building, letting them gather in packs while they chased me and above all else maintain my chain multiplier.

Edit: And even clicking I bought the wrong fucking thing again. I really am a moron.

Decoy on
  • TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    on lock boxes-

tier 2 = 8 keys - 2 guns
    tier 3 = 24 keys - 3 guns
    tier 4 = 64 keys - 4 guns

No one has done the mat yet... the hope is higher tiers = higher chances at fantastic loot as your key per loot goes up dramatically. tier 2 is 4 keys per gun, tier 4 is 16 keys per gun. Thats not small potatoes.

anecdotally i have gotten nothing but greens from 2's and 3's have yielded some blues. Im going to hold my keys for tier 3/ 4 only.

I had a purple and an orange from tier 3

• TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular

You dont need to protect the supplies at all, just run around to the left and get on the roof of the building, the enemies only have one route up there so it's super easy.

I...think I got gold once when I tried it, but my score was like 35k, and the top listed score was like 500k, sooooooooo...

I have no idea how to get that high.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular

The trick for me was circling a building, letting them gather in packs while they chased me and above all else maintain my chain multiplier.

Edit: And even clicking I bought the wrong fucking thing again. I really am a moron.

This is what I did, also when the shotgun ran out of ammo it let me use my other guns which extended the life of my run. Was that a glitch? It didn't work like that in the Beta weekend.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    TPSou wrote: »

You dont need to protect the supplies at all, just run around to the left and get on the roof of the building, the enemies only have one route up there so it's super easy.

There were supplies in that? I didn't even realize.

• NovafoxNovafox Registered User regular
    Been playing this off and on yesterday, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. It reminds me a lot of Tabula Rasa, in a good way. I have a question though, does the "class" you choose at character creation have any effect other than starting outfit/weapon?

steam_sig.png
    There doesn't appear to be anything different between classes, however the outfits are pretty nice.

n1woEHJ.png
  • KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Novafox wrote: »
    Been playing this off and on yesterday, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. It reminds me a lot of Tabula Rasa, in a good way. I have a question though, does the "class" you choose at character creation have any effect other than starting outfit/weapon?

As near as I can tell, you are correct. It only affects your starting guns and outfit.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So with all this hemming and hawing over voice chat

Does PA Vent have herpes or something?

There doesn't appear to be anything different between classes, however the outfits are pretty nice.

types of weapon synergies. But even then.... every weapon can synergize with every class so....... mootness.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Vent has herpes, yes.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Vent has herpes, yes.

Its herpes arent the problem. its herpes have aids.

Vent is doodoo. it was wonderful. sound quality and times change.

Yes. But beyond that I prefer TeamSpeak 3 - it has better plugin support, better overlay support and can be hosted by anyone without additional cost. This is unlike Ventrilo where you must use a preferred host provider or give some money to Ventrilo for a license.

However, one cannot discount the herpes.

DarkewolfeSeidkonamojojoeo
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    After using Draygo's TS3 there'd have to be a major leap for me to consider anything else at this point.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    mojojoeoArthil
    Retaba wrote: »

This is what I did, also when the shotgun ran out of ammo it let me use my other guns which extended the life of my run. Was that a glitch? It didn't work like that in the Beta weekend.

Really? When I ran out last night, it ended for me.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Draygo wrote: »
    I thought the guy who owned the server hadn't okayed it yet.

This is correct.

I didnt setup the TS3 server to be a PA wide server, it is a possibility but I havent thought through the ramifications of that. It was setup for GW2, and the members of the Penny Arcade forums that play GW2.

I'll think about it.

@entaru ( i think you @ me earlier, wanted to make sure you saw this).

@draygo

In the interim @corehealer was directing us to use the general circus channel(the one where any game is played) or the wild-star channel he made. If we are crossing you by doing so, please let us know and we will desist.

That isnt a particular problem. I just didnt want to get to the point of having 100+ people online all the time without calculating how that would affect my servers bandwidth/m cap.

@DigitalSyn if you need any help give me a ring.

Draygo on
    DigitalSyn
    I thought the guy who owned the server hadn't okayed it yet.

This is correct.

I didnt setup the TS3 server to be a PA wide server, it is a possibility but I havent thought through the ramifications of that. It was setup for GW2, and the members of the Penny Arcade forums that play GW2.

I'll think about it.

@entaru ( i think you @ me earlier, wanted to make sure you saw this).

@draygo

In the interim @corehealer was directing us to use the general circus channel(the one where any game is played) or the wild-star channel he made. If we are crossing you by doing so, please let us know and we will desist.

That isnt a particular problem. I just didnt want to get to the point of having 100+ people online all the time without calculating how that would affect my servers bandwidth/m cap.

@DigitalSyn if you need any help give me a ring.

Thanks @Draygo , I will be sure to.

looks like they aren't giving out some things on the digital deluxe edition to people.

Badlands drifter title, appears no one has gotten it from the DD edition, and people who have sent in support tickets get a response back it's only for the ultimate edition copies on console.
    they went so far as to change the description of the contents on their homepage by removing the title.

steam still lists the title
    lGxjS7T.png

steam_sig.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I just did my first major arkfall and it was kinda lame, i mean the big boss thing was so tough even with what looked like 100+ of us shooting it it's health didn't noticeably move, so we evenutally killed it but the sense of personal contribution for anyone was pretty much nil, and no loot whatsoever, only the xp. I certainly won't be going out of my way to do anymore. Hell the mobs were so tough i did the most damage at the end stat screen, i could unload two full clips of my combat shotgun into the non boss mobs, and their health wouldn't move. And they didn't do much damage themselves, just soaked up a lot, so it was just..boring.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    vegeta_666
  • AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    They had the same issue with rifts world bosses, luckily trion is the constantly tweaking kind. I'm sure they'll address it.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I just did my first major arkfall and it was kinda lame, i mean the big boss thing was so tough even with what looked like 100+ of us shooting it it's health didn't noticeably move, so we evenutally killed it but the sense of personal contribution for anyone was pretty much nil, and no loot whatsoever, only the xp. I certainly won't be going out of my way to do anymore. Hell the mobs were so tough i did the most damage at the end stat screen, i could unload two full clips of my combat shotgun into the non boss mobs, and their health wouldn't move. And they didn't do much damage themselves, just soaked up a lot, so it was just..boring.

the mobs scale with more players around, with the concentration of players being in the starting zone those arkfalls are going to be absolutely silly with mobs being complete bullet sponges.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited April 2013
    You dont get loot- you get xp money and keystones (to buy chests to get loot)

Last night we did the big one and i wialked with 4 keystones and some xp for only doing the very last leg. Not great, maybe will be tweaked but its something.

mojojoeo on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    i'm also really digging playing with a 360 controller, i use shotguns so accuracy isn't much an issue, and the game just plays so much better with one.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    chocobolicious