As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    i'm also really digging playing with a 360 controller, i use shotguns so accuracy isn't much an issue, and the game just plays so much better with one.

I didn't know this was an option. If I go full shotty I might do that.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    My only issue with playing a controller is not being able to chat in MMOs, of course with chat being as it is right now that might not be so much of a problem.

• EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Holy jesus. How do you chat in this game?

Also, I accepted the clan invite, but it doesn't appear that I'm in...ugh.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Ender wrote: »

For me, accepting the clan invite didn't seem to work until I logged out and back in.

Ender wrote: »

Chat is kind of borked, you use 'x' to change channels, and then press enter to start the bit you type into, but it's very hit and miss at the moment. Works for some people, some of the time.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    i'm also really digging playing with a 360 controller, i use shotguns so accuracy isn't much an issue, and the game just plays so much better with one.

I didn't know this was an option. If I go full shotty I might do that.

I'm also enjoying playing this with a 360 controller, although it's odd that the game doesn't auto-detect a controller or button presses and change the UI prompts. I had to dig through the clumsy layer-cake of menus (which is actually slightly more difficult to do on a controller, huzzah for multiplatform titles) and manually click the option for controller-based prompts.

It does certainly make the driving parts a lot easier.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I did a Major Hellbug Arkfall last night

and I'm pretty sure that's why I got a "Hellbug Cap", it's basically just a black cap

But I feel accomplished as shit

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

and I'm pretty sure that's why I got a "Hellbug Cap", it's basically just a black cap

The Hellbug Cap also (only?) comes from the Season Pass.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Speaking of, I don't have my cap D:<

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Got an e-mail back from Greenman, saying someone fucked up and they sent duplicate codes. They said they'd be sending out "fixed" ones soon. Hopefully.

I'm still perplexed why I got an e-mail saying You can get your Dodge Challenger! Log-in and Claim it! and it's not there.

Lawndart wrote: »

It does certainly make the driving parts a lot easier.

Ah, you can invert y-axis on controller independent of mouse, and it uses controller input on the fly; I think I'll keep my controller on and use it for driving only.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

The Hellbug Cap also (only?) comes from the Season Pass.

Oh, alright.

I do have the season pass, I guess I just didn't notice it until shortly after the Arkfall.

• AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Took longer then I thought for a quest to show up wanting me to collect crap.

Now I know I'm playing an mmo.

edited April 2013
    Doing the last boss of the second co-op map with only one other person because someone quit and someone disconnected is the antithesis of fun.

Also, that person couldn't seem to figure out to shoot the generators not the boss.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
    edited April 2013
    This interface is really fighting me here. It's really the big sore spot on an otherwise fun game.

And this only some weapons can be modded...and only after they've been leveled and you've performed the sacred right of modding and the moons are aligned bs is getting old to.

Acharenus on
    Acharenus wrote: »
    This interface is really fighting me here. It's really the big sore spot on an otherwise fun game.

And this only some weapons can be modded...and only after they've been leveled and you've performed the sacred right of modding and the moons are aligned bs is getting old to.

Hmm, I've been able to add mod slots onto any weapon, it just can't currently be in any of your loadouts. It gets expensive when you're going for the third+ slot though.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    You can mod weapons in your loadouts, you just can't remove mods.

edited April 2013
    You can remove mods later on, either Removing mods and keeping the gun (mods are deleted), or removing mods and destroying the gun (mods are returned)

The way modding works, is a weapon has a random mod slot (I believe all weapons have at least 1 mod slot by default) either Stock, Barrel, Magazine or Scope. Indicated by the Square and - icons on a weapon. You can add a random slot, for some Salvage + 10m time, in the Salvage Matrix. It will add a random mod slot of whatever ones you don't have, so after 3 adds you should have all 4 slots. Weapons do NOT require being leveled to add slots or mods onto them. I'll have to take some screenshots later.

If I can figure out where screenshots are put, anyways...

Quintessin on
    Not all weapons come with a mod slot active unfortunately, picked up a saw without one that I'm now very slowly adding slots to.

The whole system is ridiculous and made far worse by the interface.

Probably a lot of people already know this, but it could help someone, so what the hell I'll put it up

Starting off with an unmodded shotgun

4nnTvwR.png

As you can see from the icon from the inventory, indicated by the Squares and Dashes, it has 2 mod slots. Stock, and Magazine. In order, the mod slots are Stock, Barrel, Magazine and Scope. Square = Has that slot, Dash = Does Not. It is the same on every weapon that can be modded.

And now looking at a fully modded out LMG,
    xcMZuLw.png

All 4 slots, with mods in all 4. Also leveled up.

There is also something you will start to see a bit later, when you start seeing Rep vendors. You can get Synergy mods, which when equipped with a weapon that has the same Synergy tag, will grant bonuses to that weapon. I have yet to get any, but I have seen several weapons with different modifiers. I am assuming, when you buy the Random Synergy Mod Cache that if you get 2, 3 or 4 you get the bonuses similar to a tier set in an MMO.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Just in case it hasn't been said in a few hours... Ha

If you cant break things down for resources, even though you know you're not using them (it usually says "No Options Available), check your other loadouts. It took me awhile to figure this out. Chances are stuff like your starting gear will still be in the other loadouts, thus preventing you from selling or breaking them down.

Maddoc
    Decoy wrote: »
    Just in case it hasn't been said in a few hours... Ha

If you cant break things down for resources, even though you know you're not using them (it usually says "No Options Available), check your other loadouts. It took me awhile to figure this out. Chances are stuff like your starting gear will still be in the other loadouts, thus preventing you from selling or breaking them down.

Kiss me on the mouth.

• KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    I bought a 24 hour clan skill boost, so if you're looking to work on some weapon/vehicle skills now is the time!

CorriganXVikingMaddocArthil
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    So @Kendrik @Viking and @Khildith and I decided to do some group missions. Got all the challenges for Demolitions 101 done, then decided to try out the scrapworks. We ended up clearing that thing with all the pursuits and got the killer armor. Unfortunately Kendrik had to go to bed, but I got a picture of the male/female Heavy EMC Armor.

A9F48B8146F924EE4ABC4DAB9FDC6E90D7940F2D

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    Kendrik
    edited April 2013
    Damn. I didn't realize there were pursuits in the Instances until I was already done with my LtL run. For some reason it didn't even cross my mind. I'll have to look in clan chat... err, jump into TS so I'll know next time ya'll are doing a group runs.

Decoy on
    I got all the pursuits done for the first co-op mission but I'd love to jump in the second (and third I guess as I'm close to it) one soon with some PA folks and get the pursuits in that one done.

Sob24Nm.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    You dont have to have the mission unlocked to do them, you just have to queue up with someone who has it unlocked. If I'm ever around get on ts or message me on steam and i'll be happy to do coop runs, if im not otherwise occupied. :p

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Decided to pick it up, can't connect to servers, though, and when I do connect and it tells me to create an account name, it just stays on that screen when I hit submit.

Are you the magic man?
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, seems wanged at the moment.

I know it's early, but it's the only way we can compete with the bigger sites, my Defiance review is up at the site in my sig in case anyone is on the fence. I like it a lot.

Oh, so the co-op thing is group instanced missions? I see.

This game needs some better documentation.

I just found out that you have to equip your perks for them to work. Nothing in the game even remotely mentions that.

Also, yet another game that frustrates the hell out of me by randomly forgetting some of my keybinds.

Still, it's a really fun game, I'm interested in getting together with some of you guys to run group stuff. Maybe tomorrow night.

It becomes more predictable at least once you realize the interface is out to get you.

Yeah, that didn't take long to figure out, when I have to enter the settings menu 12 times an hour to fix keybinds.

Is there a way to remove mods and keep the mods?

All I've been able to see is breakdown which gives you salvage and destroys the mods to and remove mods which destroys the mods but keeps the weapon.

It is possible to retrieve mods via the Salvage Matrix. Sadly though, I dont know voodoo needed to pull of in order to make this an option. I would have better information, but I can't really look up anything at work.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    So ... what the hell does "leveling" a weapon do anyways. I have a sniper rifle that filled the xp bar on and I am not quite sure what it did.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So ... what the hell does "leveling" a weapon do anyways. I have a sniper rifle that filled the xp bar on and I am not quite sure what it did.

more flavor white text. Bonus stats

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    darkmayo
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    I wish you could level a gun more than once.

darkmayo
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Oh and has anyone had glowing orange drops but didn't get any "orange" items from it?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Oh and has anyone had glowing orange drops but didn't get any "orange" items from it?

ya... that was a bug.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."