As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moscow Kick-About: An [FM12] Multiplayer Game in the Motherland

oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
football-manager-2012-cover.jpg

If you like football (soccer), you've most likely heard of Football Manager, and there is a good chance you're already many hours into FM12. Though the game has been out for a while, it has recently received it's midseason database update, and it seems like a good time to get our multiplayer competition on.

What I am looking to do is set up a multiplayer game, with a number of our fine forum footy fans, with the intention of playing once a week passing about 1-3 months game time per session. No setup has been determined yet, but I do have a couple of ideas which may be of interest but I'm going to run with this setup for now.

Moscow Kick-About
Setup: Top League from Russia + Players from Top Clubs in Europe and Top Division Clubs in Eastern Europe.
Available Clubs to Play: CSKA Moscow, Dinamo Moscow, Lokomotiv Moscow, Spartak Moscow + more if required.
Goal: Win the Russian League, or at least be top dog in Moscow.

(I'm not expecting more than 4 people to sign up, hence the Moscow focus.)

Now, if that is not to anyones liking, that's fine... suggest away. However, I think it gives a pretty good taste of all things FM12, and leads to more direct play against one another than previous suggestions. If you think of a different league, I'm all ears and am flexible.

So, there it is. If you are interested, !signup and give your preference for setup or your suggestions, as well as when you would be available to play. Everyone is welcome, and depending on interest, we can hopefully get things off and running soon.

oldmanken on

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So, haven't had any response thus far... *sigh*

I'm going to throw out the idea of running the Russian League. The schedule is a bit wonky, but there is a good bit of parity in the top half predicted teams, with some not too burdensome restrictions on players.

I've loaded up the two divisions in Russia, all Russian nationals, along with players from top clubs in Europe, and players from top division Eastern European clubs. That gives a good base of 32,000 players... and should get some realistic transfer moves.

Anyway, I'm still open to other ideas, but I thought I would throw that out.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I would be well in for any kind of multiplayer FM shenanigans.
    Although I confess I have a preference for the EURO cup team idea since I love me a bit of Bilbao. Ultimately however I'd be willing to go with the flow and do whatever ends up happening, assuming this can get off the ground.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Although I might be misreading your intention here, I think refering to this as a Let's Play might be confusing things a little. LPs are when 1 or more people play a game, record themselves commenting on it, and upload it so others can watch them play. Although there are a fair few LPs here, they don't get a lot of attention. It looks like you just want people to play with; something I think you'd probably be better off for without calling this a Let's Play.

Good luck with the recruitment.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Well, yeah, maybe Let's Play is not the best name for it... hmmmm. May have to change it later when I get a chance. Still, it's at least explained what I'm trying to do in the OP, right?

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    You know I'm always interested in stuff like this.

I would call it something like "watch us play" since we can upload the highlights to YouTube thanks to the in-game menus. :P

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    If the two who have shown interest in playing are still game, might I propose I change the name of the thread to...

Moscow Kick-About: An [FM12] Multiplayer Game in the Motherland

In some ways I would prefer the Europa idea, but it's too much of an indirect competition. MLS would mean we don't really get to sign anyone of interest, so that only leaves my Russian suggestion.

Let me know what ya'll think.

I've updated the OP. Tailored to four players, but would welcome more.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    !signup
    I think the Moscow idea is a fine one even though I have literally no idea about Russian football past the 70's.
    I also think a La Liga "Fight for third" game might have some merit since I think there's about 6 clubs you could choose from there and pretty comfortably assume any one of them could manage 3rd place. I must confess though that this suggestion is biased almost purely by my desire to play a Bilbao game;-p
    Of the top European leagues I think La Liga is the only one with that kind of spread of teams who could conceivably finish so high. Although Lige 1 might have some potential in a "chase PSG" style game but I only know the quality levels of maybe three other French teams so I might be well off base about the general quality of that league.

I've got flexible availability for when I can play at the moment so I'm happy to tailor my schedule to whatever suits everybody else.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    A Spanish game could be interesting as well, so if people who sign up want that, I'm ok with it. There are a healthy number of teams challenging for 3rd and 4th.

The French league is wide open. Both traditional power houses, Lyon and Marseille, are at a bit of a weak point, and even with their money, PSG is still not quite there yet. Lille and Montpellier look excellent, with the latter leading the league, and Toulouse, Bordeaux and Etienne are all capable of putting in strong showings.

Anyway, hopefully we get a couple more people, then we can sort the details.

• AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Honestly, this actually sounds like a lot of fun - I, uh, haven't played FM in years (don't own FM12, but I'm guessing it's cheap these days?), so I am sure I will be getting relegated, but I'd be interested if it started in a few weeks, like May... 12thish? I guess that is a ways away, and not sure if you guys would want to wait that long, but I figured I would throw my hat in.

Also I'd prefer France over Russia, but only because I'm (slightly) more familiar with it.

edit: thinking about it, if the time investment wasnt massive for the first bit, I could start earlier, but I have a lot coming up in the near future, and then a week where I will have almost no internet, and definitely no computer, so I wouldn't be able to do anything.

AkimboLegs on
    Wel, there isn't really a huge clamour to sign up, with it only being yourself and Dyvim interested, so we could hold off. That said, I'm thinking of only once a week for an hour or two... enough to run a month or three in a single session.

Like I've maintained, if people want a different league, I am game... France could interest me as well.