As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NHL Thread: Can Lidstrom Unretire? Please?

19495969798100»

• Options
    SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    It's a weird year in college hockey. Last I checked Quinnipiac is #1, the entire future Big Ten sucks except Minnesota, it's Michigan's worst season since the mid-80s, which is making me sad. Though at least we swept OSU last weekend and have five wins over MSU.

MSU's team is garbage this year. I'm still not sure why Anastos was hired to coach with zero experience.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's a weird year in college hockey. Last I checked Quinnipiac is #1, the entire future Big Ten sucks except Minnesota, it's Michigan's worst season since the mid-80s, which is making me sad. Though at least we swept OSU last weekend and have five wins over MSU.

MSU's team is garbage this year. I'm still not sure why Anastos was hired to coach with zero experience.

This is literally the only thing making our season vaguely bearable. Though supposedly he's recruiting well, it's just hard to see because hockey players commit like 8 years before they actually show up on campus/are poached by the OHL, leaving you entirely without a goalie. The kid who was in net for the US U-20 team that won gold was committed to Michigan. :(

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Simon Gagne back to the Flyers for a fourth rounder apparently. interesting.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416897

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Jean wrote: »
    Most of the big markets in this league are in the East. I tought to myself, why not ''spread the wealth'' a bit and send a few of them out-west?

How about this :

West conference

Great Lakes div. : Chicago - Detroit - Philly - Pittsburgh - Toronto
    Prairies div. : Calgary - Edmonton - Minnesotta - Saint Louis - Winnipeg
    Pacific div. : Anaheim - Colorado - LA - San Jose - Vancouver

East conference

Atlantic div : Columbus - New Jersey - New York Islanders - New York Rangers - Washington
    North div. : Boston - Buffalo - Montréal - Ottawa - Québec
    South div : Carolina - Dallas - Florida - Nashville - Tampa

At first I had Buffalo in the Atlantic and Columbus in the North but I switched them because Columbus could use the exposure boost that comes from being in the same division than the NY teams and Buffalo gets to keep it's rivalry with Ottawa.

Ok, the problem here is that none of the teams in the South have large populations of people following them (except maybe Dallas).

With Tampa and Florida in a division with Canadians, we at least get viewership and ticket sales from Canadians that come here for winter.

I don't want my teams to get shipped to Canada because no one here wants to watch a game between Nashville and Tampa.

Fuck, I don't want to watch a game between Nashville and Tampa.

mmmm so basically my south div is a train-wreckin the making eh?

You have teams like Toronto, Rangers ,Montréal , Philly, Pittsburgh that will print money no matter what division they are in. Heck, as long as Québec get it's team back they could put it with the California teams, I wouldn't care, I'd still watch :D I think the California teams WOULD care, tough :lol:. Then you have some teams like Columbus or Carolina that needs some external help to make money. You have to mix stronger and weaker markets together. Perhaps my Great Lakes div wasn't such a great idea afterall, too many big markets in the same division.

You also have to keep rivalries in mind. For example it would be a mistake to separate Pittsburgh and Philly or Edmonton and Calgary.

You also have to take time zones into consideration. Because of that I think Dallas, even more so than Winnipeg, is the team that needs the most to move to a new division pronto. You shouldn't have more than 2 timezones in the same division if you can help it.

I don't think it's possible to have a setup that makes everyone perfectly happy but we can try to make everyone at least somewhat happy :)

Here's another proposal of mine (assuming Phoenix moves to Québec) :

Western conference

Anaheim - Colorado - LA - San Jose - Vancouver

With Phoenix gone, I don't see any other combo that makes sense for the Pacific coast. Replace the Avs with the Yotes should they stay in Phoenix or move to Seatle.

Calgary - Dallas - Edmonton - Minesotta - Winnipeg

Dallas have a connection with Minesotta, being the ex-North Stars. Also they have somewhat of a rivalry with Edmonton due to their past PO series. I also thik you have to have the Jets and Wild together since they are each other closest rivals by a good margin. Loosing Vancouver and gaining Winnipeg should make the Wild happy.

Boston - Chicago - Detroit - Nashville - Saint Louis

NSH and STL gets to keep Detroit and Chicago, which should make them happy. Chicago gets to keep it's rivalry with Detroit. Detroit gains a more interesting eastern rival in Boston. Boston gets to be with 2 Original 6 teams. I see this as a decent compromise for everyone. You could also replace Boston with Toronto. Toronto is the one team nearly everyone would like to see in their division, no matter where you put them some teams will be unhappy.

Eastern conference

Buffalo - Florida - Ottawa - Tampa - Toronto

You keep the BUF/OTT/TML triangle of hate alive and you help 2 southern markets with snowbird money.

Carolina - New Jersey - New York Islanders - New York Rangers - Washington

Easier travel schedule and more media exposure for Carolina. Washington gets to get out of the SE. The NYC area teams are kept together.

Columbus - Montréal- Philly - Pittsburgh - Québec

At first I had only one of PHI/PIT in this division but then I tought ''you have to pair them''. Columbus gets a major boost by getting out of the western conf and gaining media exposure in PA. Québec is too extatic to have their team back to really care who they are paired with.

--

FWIW if you asked me ''What would your dream division be?'' I'd answer : Boston - Montréal - New York Rangers - Pittsburgh - Québec. I think every game in such a division would be epic :) But I don't think such a division will ever exist!

My apologies for the long ass post :)

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Pens don't show up to the 2nd. Other shocking stories for today include ice being cold and space vast. Its like I'm watching that pens/flyers series, no discipline at all.

We seem to be recovering. But there's no excuse for all those penalties and letting those goals. Paul martin is on fire this year, I can finally see why we picked him up.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    This Jets/Rangers game is getting nuts.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    I played Vokoun and Luongo over Pavelec tonight.

Not a good choice.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    100 pages. Who wants to do the new thread?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    2 U's, 2 K's, 2 points.

If the Bruins can upgrade their top 6 forwards (sniper), bottom D-pair, and add some veteran depth, they should be able to make a deep run. They have the cap space to add parts, but maybe not the assets.

• Options
    Before the game started I asked myself how long it would take for me to regret watching it. The answer? 25 seconds. :?

• Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    What's better, to realize in the first minute that your team is going to lose, or to watch them play 2 amazing periods of hockey only to forget that the game has 3 periods?

Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    Two amazing periods of hockey from the Avs? That's rich! :lol:

:cry: