As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NHL Thread: Can Lidstrom Unretire? Please?

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Rei wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So i just got one, single ticket to my first ever Capitals game at the Verizon Center. I've seen them in Rochester, NY once (the Buffalo Sabres did a home game there about 5 years ago). I just kind of decided the only thing that could make this weekend better was after the midnight screening of Avengers, catch some sleep, wake up and drive 7 hours to DC to be there in person.

so if any of you guys happen to be going as well, I'm flying solo and just going to enjoy being around other fans. let me know and I'll buy you a $20 beer, or however much they are in fancy NHL arenas.

I know it wasn't the desired outcome but you sure saw a hell of a game. Got 2 games for the price of one too.

I'm actually going to the game Saturday, so I'm hoping that Holtby's streak of never losing back-to-back games since starting in the NHL holds true, and I'll get to see a W on Saturday.

But man, what a phenomenal game.

This series is so great.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Any of you pens fans sign up for Rinko?

I'm sitting at 286 points currently, which puts me just 22 back from the leader.

I think this is the closest I've been.

Just gotta hope the flyers first line keeps doing exactly nothing for the rest of this series and I could make some serious headway into the leaderboard.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    It's interesting contrasting the Pens/Caps rivalry and this Rangers/Caps rivalry. The Pens/Caps one is basically manufactured by the media and some mutual dislike between Ovechkin and Crosby whereas the Rangers/Caps rivalry is based on playoff hockey, which is a real rivalry.

This. Caps/Pens isn't a real rivalry. Anyone who has seen both teams play, especially recently, there's a reason Sid has more ice time than Ovie does. It was a silly ploy to get interest in games when they were both fresh into the league post lock-out.

I think the thing is that most people realize that without Salieri, "Amadeus" would have been a long, boring movie about a guy who played piano.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    It's interesting contrasting the Pens/Caps rivalry and this Rangers/Caps rivalry. The Pens/Caps one is basically manufactured by the media and some mutual dislike between Ovechkin and Crosby whereas the Rangers/Caps rivalry is based on playoff hockey, which is a real rivalry.

This. Caps/Pens isn't a real rivalry. Anyone who has seen both teams play, especially recently, there's a reason Sid has more ice time than Ovie does. It was a silly ploy to get interest in games when they were both fresh into the league post lock-out.

I think the thing is that most people realize that without Salieri, "Amadeus" would have been a long, boring movie about a guy who played piano.

I'd argue that hockey is significantly more exciting to watch than someone playing piano, but yeah.

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    edit: I will be in Jersey tomorrow night at the game. I can't wait for this home game! ;)

Be safe. :P

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edit: I will be in Jersey tomorrow night at the game. I can't wait for this home game! ;)

Be safe. :P

I think I'll be fine. There are five of us going. ;)

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    SammyF wrote: »

I'd argue that hockey is significantly more exciting to watch than someone playing piano, but yeah.

Oh I think it's the greatest team sport ever, I just also remember that an incredibly large segment of the population of the United States disagrees with me. :?

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I wonder if anyone on the Flyers is going to decide to actually play tonight besides Bryzgalov? Man, that felt really weird typing out.

• Options
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone on the Flyers is going to decide to actually play tonight besides Bryzgalov? Man, that felt really weird typing out.

Man, redfield is going to jump all the fuck over you for suggesting that Bryz has ever played poorly.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »

Man, redfield is going to jump all the fuck over you for suggesting that Bryz has ever played poorly.

Burtle, I like you, I really do. We had some good time in the CoD threads. But, Jesus Christ, you can really troll with the best of them.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Speaking of the best trolling ever, Brent Sutter has Alex Borrows skating with Eberle and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at the worlds.

Vancouver and Calgary tag team trolling Edmonton. YES!

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I just want to jump in here and say that I absolutely loathe the NHL.com pun guy.

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    I just want to jump in here and say that I absolutely loathe the NHL.com pun guy.

Loathe him or leave him, mirite?

• Options
    Guys, I don't know how I feel about watching over time in person in the away arena. I feel nervous. :-x

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    Yeah either way the home crowd won't enjoy your company on the way out.

• Options
    I like how NBC didn't anticipate that hockey games, especially playoff games, sometimes go into overtime, so now we don't get the watch the LA/STL game.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I like how NBC didn't anticipate that hockey games, especially playoff games, sometimes go into overtime, so now we don't get the watch the LA/STL game.

Maybe they thought it only went 5 minutes.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    You would think with their whole "every game" motto they could easily switch one game to CNBC and not show a mad money rerun.

• Options
    You would think with their whole "every game" motto they could easily switch one game to CNBC and not show a mad money rerun.

Or even put it on NBC and skip the Law and Order rerun or whatever that was. Too lazy to check the guide on the big TV.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Guys, I don't know how I feel about watching over time in person in the away arena. I feel nervous. :-x

I'd be worried after that boarding call :?

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Couple of rookies making a bad line change costs the Flyers the game, that's brutal. Good game though.

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    Couple of rookies making a bad line change costs the Flyers the game, that's brutal. Good game though.

Not to mention questionable goaltending. 1 or 2 of those allowed goals should have been easy saves for a $5.6m goalie, never mind the rebounds Bryz gives up. For all the changes that paid off this year, we've still got the flaky goalie.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    I think Bryz and all the rookies will work out eventually. Flyers are going to be a serious force in the East for the next few years I think, and it's gonna be really exciting to watch.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Dude what has happened to STL?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Dude what has happened to STL?

Well, when one team is 7-1 against the 1/2 seeds, I think we have to ask the question: what the fuck got into the LA Kings?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    I think everybody may have overlooked how good the Kings were in March.

Shit, if those last two games of the year against SJ had gone the other way, the Kings would've had the Blues in the 1st and Vancouver (probably?) in the 2nd.

Alternatively: The Sharks are just that bad?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Not to mention questionable goaltending. 1 or 2 of those allowed goals should have been easy saves for a $5.6m goalie, never mind the rebounds Bryz gives up. For all the changes that paid off this year, we've still got the flaky goalie.

You know, the one goal I wanted to fucking slap Carle. My cousin and I cringed every time he was out there and the shift where he let Parise or whoever come right to the side of the net, I CALLED THE GOAL about ten seconds before it happened. Fucking despicable. And yea, that OT shit was horrendous. From the power plays that didn't take shots to the shitty ass line change. Another game of beating ourselves.

All in all it was still a fun night. Devils have the worst fanbase, maybe next to Columbus. First home playoff game of the second round and there are so many fucking empty seats. I was embarrassed as a hockey fan. They have on the jumbotron a sign to wave your towels and then the arena announcer comes on to encourage everyone to wave them? Really? And then we need to have the rules of overtime explained to us? It is a pathetic excuse of an arena.

The best is the fans trying to shit at any point. They have no clue what they are talking about. And then they would try to get a Devils chant going and only one person would say it and then it would die out. Your team just won, in overtime, to take a series lead, and no one can get a Let's Go Devils chant going? Jesus. It was classy of the one guy to yell out his car window for people to hit Flyers fans. Stay classy, Jersey!

I am not salty or mad or anything. It was just a sad scene. I know how Phoenix or Atlanta looked like now. When I used to joke about the Devils having three fans, it was just that, a joke. Now I know the truth. They have about 2.

edit: Let me know if you can't see this image (from my Facebook). Also, let me know if you see any Devils fans. This was taken at the start of the fucking game!

7141103927_90f7483148_z.jpg

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    That is hilariously empty. The entire beef between the mayor of Newark and the owner of the Devils and the Prudential Center along is also hilarious, it reads like a feud between a recently broken up high school couple. I also have a strong dislike of any team in which their goal song is "Hey, you suck!". I mean come on, get something original. Or how about this for a novel idea, cheer for your own team!

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    I guess you were there, red, but the cheers for the devils were loud as FUCK on the tube. I guess they could have been amping the volume up but they were cheering a good portion of the game and doing it very loud from what I could tell. Also, go devils!

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Devils have the worst fanbase, maybe next to Columbus.

You really are a silly goose amongst silly geese, aren't you? Awesome anecdote. Now go throw up on an 11 year old girl.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I read that comment by redfield and knew OSUJumpMan was a Jackets fan. Basically this...and OSUJumpMan didn't disappoint.

In other news, I met a Coyotes fan. Here in Maryland! Die-hard fan, was talking about how he thinks they're over-achieving against Nashville and how he's not sure how far they'll go. It's tough to find people that aren't bandwagon Caps fans here, so it was such a refreshing experience.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    At least Columbus has an excuse for not selling out games, the team isn't particularly good (no offense, they just aren't) and the ownership doesn't seem to give a damn. Devils not selling out is embarrassing, they're a good team and it's not like there's a whole lot else to do in Newark. I'm sure plenty of people will be buying Devils gear and complaining about why they think X,Y and Z is a problem for the team if they make it into the finals though.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    At least Columbus has an excuse for not selling out games, the team isn't particularly good (no offense, they just aren't) and the ownership doesn't seem to give a damn. Devils not selling out is embarrassing, they're a good team and it's not like there's a whole lot else to do in Newark. I'm sure plenty of people will be buying Devils gear and complaining about why they think X,Y and Z is a problem for the team if they make it into the finals though.

I have no misconceptions about the quality of the team. But the amusing thing is that attendance actually got better as the season went on. The first 10 games had a lot of 9k and 10k attendance figures. The last 10 games were nearly all sellouts.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Devils not selling out is embarrassing, they're a good team and it's not like there's a whole lot else to do in Newark.

There's not? Did meth stop being cool?

• Options
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »

I have no misconceptions about the quality of the team. But the amusing thing is that attendance actually got better as the season went on. The first 10 games had a lot of 9k and 10k attendance figures. The last 10 games were nearly all sellouts.

That's kinda odd. Maybe people wanting to see Nash for the last time?

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular

Jack Johnson has been pretty good draw, surprisingly.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »

who can resist his dulcet tones, acoustic guitar, and striking lyrics?

• Options
    NBC just showed an outdoor screen in Nashville showing the game. There was maybe 40 people, that's a shame. Pens usually get a couple hundred when they put the screen out. I guess it takes a recent Cup win to have fans bandwagoners. :(

• Options
    shwaip wrote: »

who can resist his dulcet tones, acoustic guitar, and striking lyrics?

:^:

• Options
    edited May 2012

Yeah, as much as I question the move, people here have gone apeshit for Jack MF Johnson. He and Wiz have taken to calling themselves "Controlled Chaos" which is a fair assessment of their defensive play.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png