As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jessica Nigri asked to leave? Why?

CARTER-A259CARTER-A259 Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
http://kotaku.com/5900134/skimpy-outfit-gets-lollipop-chainsaw-cosplayer-asked-to-leave-pax

For those who were attending and stopped by the Lollipop Chainsaw booth, Jessica Nigri was the cosplayer who was promoting the game.

Now on friday, she wore a more or less typical cheerleading uniform with a bare midriff (skimpy, yes, but there are REAL uniforms that are skimpier than what she was wearing). Saturday, she wore a much more revealing costume and was asked to change. Ok. She changed back to the original costume, and then was told that was also "too revealing"? That's, if anything, hypocritical PAX. Stick to your guns.

Considering what she was wearing (which is actually a pretty common cut of High School Cheerleading uniform), I really think the "no booth girls" thing is being taken too far here. We can have disembodied heads and mutilated corpses in games like House of the Dead 4 for all to see, games such as Far Cry and other shooters broadcasting on large monitors, but apparently something I can see if I go to a high school football game is over the line?
Seriously, I think she deserves an apology.

CARTER-A259 on

• Options
    XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    I read about it and saw her at the booth, and I agree. If I recall, there were actual booth babes during last year's PAX, but perhaps they banned them again this year.

• Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    XX55XX wrote: »
    I read about it and saw her at the booth, and I agree. If I recall, there were actual booth babes during last year's PAX, but perhaps they banned them again this year.

There were complaints about the girls last year, specifically I think the Duke Nukem girls so they did another survey and the community pretty much affirmed that they're not okay with the skimpy outfits. People were complaining and PA responded to those complaints by asking her to change or leave.

I don't really see the controversy. If parents are required to agree to allow their children to view/demo mature rated games then the same should apply to booth cosplay. If the outfit is obviously skimpy, like the two in that article it should be locked behind the same restrictions as the mature rated games or not there at all.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    ransim wrote: »

There were complaints about the girls last year, specifically I think the Duke Nukem girls so they did another survey and the community pretty much affirmed that they're not okay with the skimpy outfits. People were complaining and PA responded to those complaints by asking her to change or leave.

I don't really see the controversy. If parents are required to agree to allow their children to view/demo mature rated games then the same should apply to booth cosplay. If the outfit is obviously skimpy, like the two in that article it should be locked behind the same restrictions as the mature rated games or not there at all.

The issue here, is that the first costume is not what I'd consider "skimpy", and was apparently well and good for the entirety of friday at the convention. It was also fine for PAX Prime I believe. The second (pink) costume, could be considered too skimpy, so she returned in the original costume (which was OK friday, and at previous cons) and was told it wasn't now. This is the hypocritical nature.

CARTER-A259 on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    From what I heard, she even wore the same

The issue here, is that the first costume is not what I'd consider "skimpy", and was apparently well and good for the entirety of friday at the convention. It was also fine for PAX Prime I believe. The second (pink) costume, could be considered too skimpy, so she returned in the original costume (which was OK friday, and at previous cons) and was told it wasn't now. This is the hypocritical nature.

Its not about me or you individually though.

The community as a whole voted on the issue and decided against skimpy.

Your definition of skimpy may be different then for others, but the point remains, they acted on complaints they received about something what was bordering on going against something that was decided on by the community.

Its not hypocritical, people saw it Friday, complained, and on Saturday it was acted on.

• Options
    XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    From what I heard, she even wore the same

Its not about me or you individually though.

The community as a whole voted on the issue and decided against skimpy.

Your definition of skimpy may be different then for others, but the point remains, they acted on complaints they received about something what was bordering on going against something that was decided on by the community.

Its not hypocritical, people saw it Friday, complained, and on Saturday it was acted on.

I saw quite a few skimpy cosplays here and there on Saturday...

• Options
    Then why weren't other cosplayers asked to cover up? There was only one other instance I know.

The issue is the definition of "skimpy" is just flat out incorrect. Fullstop. Let us vote exactly on what constitutes the rules, instead of having someone make decisions that really don't mesh with the integrity of the con.

I can go to a high school football game, and see uniforms skimpier than that. Why don't we ask the "Steel Batalion" girls to cover up? Actually why don't we just have a rule that no skin can be shown below the neck if we're so worried about a family friendly image.

The rule, as I recall, was not "no skimpy" anyway, it was "no boothbabes" meaning models hired expressively to promote material at booths, which is quite different from having an official spokesperson from the game "who actually was pretty knowledgeable about the game"

I'd certainly like to meet the people who did complain about this. They really must not get out of the house much.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

I'm assuming the issue stemmed from her being seen by different people on the different days, combined with a varying number of complaints of other attendees (which drove the issue from the issue from the very beginning).
    All in all, my opinion is that her being asked to leave was justified.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The no both babes thing wasn't due to parents, it's about creating a comfortable place for all gamers and to help avoid the e3 "come to our both and take pictures with our pretty girls" sausage fest. We only went today so I missed her (bummer, in pics her costume looks awesome) but the first thing my wife noticed was how diverse an audience there was vs was you expect. I think, despite this apparently inconsistent application of the rules, they do a great job.

My understanding is if she wore it as an attendee she'd be fine but as a paid member of a booth you can't use skin to draw folks in...

• Options
    gamerman1227gamerman1227 Registered User regular
    In that link on Kotaku, I would say that the pink costume on the right is a bit much. The one on the left is fine though, but I'm willing to bow to popular opinion, if people complained about it, then get rid of it. I've often wondered how much astroturfing goes on with regards to cosplayers, as in how many of them are passionate fans that make their own costumes, and how many (if any) are models paid to walk around and pretend to be passionate fans that make their own costume. I always assumed most of them are fans making their own costumes, but I know a lot of the latter happens too.

What I was more offended by was that I waited an hour in line to play Chainsaw Lollipop, it sucked.

• Options
    ConandoConando Registered User regular
    Considering children are let into the show (I was there on Friday), I would assume the complaints would come from parents. Of course, it's a bit odd that they don't complain about the violent games on display. PAX does a good job of being family friendly, from what I've seen, though. The M-rated games seem to mostly be in enclosed booths, and you need to be over 18 to enter such booths.

• Options
    WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    If parents are required to agree to allow their children to view/demo mature rated games then the same should apply to booth cosplay.
    Totally agree with this! Couldn't have said it better.

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Conando wrote: »
    Considering children are let into the show (I was there on Friday), I would assume the complaints would come from parents. Of course, it's a bit odd that they don't complain about the violent games on display. PAX does a good job of being family friendly, from what I've seen, though. The M-rated games seem to mostly be in enclosed booths, and you need to be over 18 to enter such booths.

Well, there's a disparity between "M rated game" and "showing your bellybutton". Games like House of the Dead 4 were not enclosed. Borderlands 2 was not enclosed either, with LCD screen showing lots of carnage. Another large FPS game had rather risque live-action video featured as part of its "draw". Even Lollipop Chainsaw had video footage playing at the same booth that this cosplayer was at, in plain sight. Diablo 3 was being played in the open at one of booths. "The Secret World" an mmo involving zombies, gunplay, and other horrors (such a drowned and disfigured bodies) was featured prominently via several large LCD screens above the play kiosks.

CARTER-A259 on
  • Options
    You could chalk that up to the way Americans are offended by things. I don't really understand why her initial cosplay would cause issues but, the second open breasted cat suit type of thing was going a bit far. It stopped right before her hoo-ha.

• Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell from that article, she wasn't asked to tone things down or leave when she had the Lollipop Chainsaw costume on - which is in keeping with PAX policy; companies are allowed to have people dressed as their characters on site. She was asked to tone things down when she came to the con wearing an outfit that looked like it was about to fall off her torso. There is a difference. People wear skimpy stuff to PAX, sure, but as Conando noted, that outfit went way farther than just about anything else I've seen.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    You could chalk that up to the way Americans are offended by things. I don't really understand why her initial cosplay would cause issues but, the second open breasted cat suit type of thing was going a bit far. It stopped right before her hoo-ha.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. The pink skintight getup is a bit too revealing. The crux for me, is that PAX should decide on its own what is and is not considered "appropriate", and rule accordingly. The first costume was not considered inappropriate until after the second one was. Why? Because people entered the con on saturday who don't like seeing a bellybutton? There's a point when PAX needs to say "look, I'm sorry you're offended that this girl is wearing a cheerleading uniform, but sorry, its not really that bad."

Themiscyra wrote: »
    As far as I can tell from that article, she wasn't asked to tone things down or leave when she had the Lollipop Chainsaw costume on - which is in keeping with PAX policy; companies are allowed to have people dressed as their characters on site. She was asked to tone things down when she came to the con wearing an outfit that looked like it was about to fall off her torso. There is a difference. People wear skimpy stuff to PAX, sure, but as Conando noted, that outfit went way farther than just about anything else I've seen.

Basically, she wore the first costume Friday. Then she wore the second costume saturday. She was asked to change, and went back to the costume she wore friday. Then she was asked to change or leave again, even though she had worn that costume the entirety of friday. That's the issue. Its like a moving line of "this is acceptable, haha nope, just kidding".

CARTER-A259 on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    pa doesn't want booth babes because it's the idea of trying to get people to come to your both with half naked women I think, instead of the merits of the game itself

Jars on
  • Options

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. The pink skintight getup is a bit too revealing. The crux for me, is that PAX should decide on its own what is and is not considered "appropriate", and rule accordingly. The first costume was not considered inappropriate until after the second one was. Why? Because people entered the con on saturday who don't like seeing a bellybutton? There's a point when PAX needs to say "look, I'm sorry you're offended that this girl is wearing a cheerleading uniform, but sorry, its not really that bad."

From what I understand, it was actually confusion. WB was told that people were complaining about Nigri but, not what outfit they were complaining about. So, that resulted in the poor girl being tossed even when she was in her Juliet outfit.

• Options
    SausageSausage FLRegistered User regular
    As a female member of the PAX community and a minority as a female gamer, I personally don't appreciate seeing an excess of scantily clad women hanging around to promote a game or hand out a flyer to entice me to come to their party. If the women serve a purpose, are tasteful and knowledgeable about the game, I have no problem with it, but to entice people with their bodies sends a bad message. Cosplaying is an art, some of the costumes I saw this year were pretty astounding and really took it to a new level, even someone who is accurately representing a character who may be somewhat more exposed is appreciated since they usually make their costumes and accessories with the intent to be accurate to the original as somewhat of a tribute and I can respect that.

I saw the chainsaw girl on Friday, but I figured since it was technically accurate to the game that it was fine. I didn't see the costume on Saturday, but again, she's the character in the game. The argument is more about people wanting to be in place where they feel comfortable. While it would be nice to see studly bronzed men shirtless with bow ties and tight man briefs sometimes, I would rather it be at a night club with dollar bills and not at my gaming conventions.

3DS: 2964-9827-0033
  • Options
    RygarieRygarie Registered User regular
    So the blatant booth girls at Steel Battalion, and the hired model for firefall (who would not even allow pictures most of the time) were ok? But the ACTUAL cosplayer who was hired is unacceptable? I think there is some jealous people who did not want to admit that this girl dedicates a lot to her craft. Which includes and is not limited to her outfit and her body. While the pink outfit is really close to being unacceptable, her cheerleader outfit was fine. I understand that Khoo had to make a choice to appease but damn come on people really...

• Options
    edited April 2012
    No, it was because she was wearing an outfit ripe for wardrobe malfunction, she coulda slipped out of that pink outfit at any second. The backlash over the cheerleader outfit was apparently confusion on WB's part, they didn't realize that it was the pink outfit that was causing the complaints.

Conando on
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    pa doesn't want booth babes because it's the idea of trying to get people to come to your both with half naked women I think, instead of the merits of the game itself

Except that, according to Robert Khoo, everything was within the rules, they just made a "judgement call". Hopefully the rules are amended for next year.
    From what I understand, it was actually confusion. WB was told that people were complaining about Nigri but, not what outfit they were complaining about. So, that resulted in the poor girl being tossed even when she was in her Juliet outfit.

From my understanding, she wasn't asked to change again by the WB people, but by the PAX staff. She actually left for an extended period to grab a sweater and some other items to 'cover up" and appease PAX.

In reality, this has nothing to do with the "booth babe" rule, by Robert Khoo's own admission. It had more to do with complaints, most likely by a select few attendees, about what constitutes skimpy attire, especially for a game featuring a character wearing the exact same skimpy attire in plain view.

I feel like if PAX truly were interested in its "family friendly" image as Mr Khoo says, then we wouldn't have M or even T-rated games in plain view in the expo hall.

To put it simply, just as people are expected to deal with a bit of blood and gore wandering the show floor, they should also probably be prepared to deal with seeing a few bare midriffs.

• Options
    Rygarie wrote: »
    So the blatant booth girls at Steel Battalion, and the hired model for firefall (who would not even allow pictures most of the time) were ok? But the ACTUAL cosplayer who was hired is unacceptable? I think there is some jealous people who did not want to admit that this girl dedicates a lot to her craft. Which includes and is not limited to her outfit and her body. While the pink outfit is really close to being unacceptable, her cheerleader outfit was fine. I understand that Khoo had to make a choice to appease but damn come on people really...

But where do you draw the line? What is the difference between a "professional cosplayer" and a model paid to wear a costume and hand out flyers and walk around the show floor? If you're being paid to be at the show and wear a sexy costume, then you're a model, plain and simple, I don't really see any distinction between the two.

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    This issue is such a joke. Did these people even look at the character art for Lollipop Chainsaw???? Ok, it's perfectly fine to show of a scantily clad woman, welding a bloody chainsaw no less, but it's unacceptable to have someone dress like that? I am really starting to believe these events should be 17 and up. Anyone under should have to have a guardian/parent with them and have them sign a waver that they can't complain about any content in any booth because you would know what you are getting into. Oh, and I don't know if it was the same girl, but there was another girl dressed up for Lollipop Chainsaw again on Sunday, and with a bare midriff no less!! (oh how scandalous!!!!)

• Options
    I think that really limits PAX and defeats the purpose. Since E3 is, and never will be, open to the public, we need things like PAX so anyone can go and try out games they might not see for a year. Regardless of age.

• Options
    RygarieRygarie Registered User regular

But where do you draw the line? What is the difference between a "professional cosplayer" and a model paid to wear a costume and hand out flyers and walk around the show floor? If you're being paid to be at the show and wear a sexy costume, then you're a model, plain and simple, I don't really see any distinction between the two.

The fact of the matter is she is widely known for being a cosplayer, it just so happened that WB picked her up because of her costume. BTW she wasn't handing out flyers and she was constantly on her own doing her thing with out a bodyguard like all the professional models for the booths had. I think that is the distinction between the two you speak of.

• Options

The fact of the matter is she is widely known for being a cosplayer, it just so happened that WB picked her up because of her costume. BTW she wasn't handing out flyers and she was constantly on her own doing her thing with out a bodyguard like all the professional models for the booths had. I think that is the distinction between the two you speak of.

Maybe I'm too cynical, maybe I don't know enough about Ms. Nigri and am ignorant, but you call it well known for being a cosplayer, I call it professional model with a gimmick.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Except that, according to Robert Khoo, everything was within the rules, they just made a "judgement call". Hopefully the rules are amended for next year.

From my understanding, she wasn't asked to change again by the WB people, but by the PAX staff. She actually left for an extended period to grab a sweater and some other items to 'cover up" and appease PAX.

In reality, this has nothing to do with the "booth babe" rule, by Robert Khoo's own admission. It had more to do with complaints, most likely by a select few attendees, about what constitutes skimpy attire, especially for a game featuring a character wearing the exact same skimpy attire in plain view.

I feel like if PAX truly were interested in its "family friendly" image as Mr Khoo says, then we wouldn't have M or even T-rated games in plain view in the expo hall.

To put it simply, just as people are expected to deal with a bit of blood and gore wandering the show floor, they should also probably be prepared to deal with seeing a few bare midriffs.

It's not because Khoo and the rest of the crew don't want to see it, but because I and most of the community don't want to. I'm a male gamer and I'm pretty tired of the way women are treated at conventions (not to mention in game). PAX is fucking great because my wife and I can go together and not deal with models wearing next to nothing trying to hawk their shit. Instead we get people who are at least somewhat knowledgeable, and no one is uncomfortable or, you know.. objectified.

People decided her clothes were too much (or little) for their tastes, and the group decided to ask her to change or leave based on those complaints. Totally reasonable. Should other reps have received the same complaints? Maybe, but they didn't, so that's that.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JoTheShmoJoTheShmo Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Sausage wrote: »
    As a female member of the PAX community and a minority as a female gamer, I personally don't appreciate seeing an excess of scantily clad women hanging around to promote a game or hand out a flyer to entice me to come to their party. If the women serve a purpose, are tasteful and knowledgeable about the game, I have no problem with it, but to entice people with their bodies sends a bad message. Cosplaying is an art, some of the costumes I saw this year were pretty astounding and really took it to a new level, even someone who is accurately representing a character who may be somewhat more exposed is appreciated since they usually make their costumes and accessories with the intent to be accurate to the original as somewhat of a tribute and I can respect that.

I saw the chainsaw girl on Friday, but I figured since it was technically accurate to the game that it was fine. I didn't see the costume on Saturday, but again, she's the character in the game. The argument is more about people wanting to be in place where they feel comfortable. While it would be nice to see studly bronzed men shirtless with bow ties and tight man briefs sometimes, I would rather it be at a night club with dollar bills and not at my gaming conventions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7osllkcxFk

If you watch that video, you can see she clearly wasn't just some bimbo payed to stand around and look pretty. She was very excited to attend PAX in the outfit that she worked hard to make.
    It's understandable to not let people walk around in certain costumes, but I don't see the need to label them "booth babes" as if they have no thoughts on the matter themselves, and are instead just representing some parent company (which Jessica Nigri clearly wasn't doing)

(Notice the part where she says "Hopefully... hopefully I'll be able to wear my gimp suit that I'm making here" and then holds up the pink costume)

JoTheShmo on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I would imagine cosplays like that put undue pressure on other female cosplayers. I could definitely tell at least one of them got self conscious when they showed all the lol cosplays by how quickly they exited the stage.

the first thing I see on her website is an upskirt picture

• Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Themiscyra wrote: »

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the decision or request, I am just noting that her second outfit WAS also a Lollipop Chainsaw outfit- one that I saw a few other con goers wearing, actually.

Again, I'm not getting into the right or wrong, I'm just noting the detail for those debating it.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    BushmaoriBushmaori Registered User regular

The way I see it is Khoo is acting in a way to save face for the business side of PA, of course doing this makes him come off as a hypocritical tool. However seeing the prevalent view in the U.S is that viewing violence is okay while viewing sexuality is not this is to be expected. Seeing as part of his job is protect the way people see PA you can also forgive him for acting the tool. This is not the first time and it wont be the last.

• Options
    yuttyutt Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    She was being paid to advertise for a game, she dressed inappropriately. I understand why young men would whiteknight (or maybe just astroturf) in support of her being allowed to be completely naked at PAX, but there is no controversy here.

You're crusading for sexually exploitative marketing? Really guys? Devote your effort to something more worthy.

yutt on
  • Options
    HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
    They're trying to create a family-friendly atmosphere? Have they seen whats showing on all the huge monitors? The family-friendly answer is a crap line. between Ghost recon and assassin's Creed 3 and any other game there's enough family-friendly killin to go around. I saw Jessica's Lollipop outfit when she was walking back to the Westin. Compared to some cosplayers it was tame.
    I agree the no booth babe rule is what should be enforced, and was clearly not as evident at several booths. This is getting a lot more attnetion than it should but I think, as someone has said, it's because of the hypocrisy that was displayed in the 'judgement' call.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You agree with the no booth babe policy, except in the case where a paid model was advertising for a game in sexually provacative outfits... and you call others position hypocritical? What?

So mostly this is because you guys know her name, and think her specific history of pandering to the gaming community means she should be an exception to the rules?

• Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    This isn't a case of the people from Lollipop Chainsaw coming up with a more revealing variation of Juliet's outfit specifically for promotion at PAX. Both outfits she wore were straight from the game design. And this type of female character design is very common in video games, and there are other games with even more scantily clad outfits. If people are offended by what she was wearing, then they also need to take it up with the game designers, not just of Lollipop Chainsaw, but of video games in general. To me, it seems like the main reason LC is getting the attention it is, even before PAX, is the character design of Juliet.

After all this, I'm left wondering - why did she have to leave, but the huge banner of Juliet was still up? Would a full size cardboard cutout or figure (like Borderlands had) been acceptable? Why is it different if it's an actual person wearing the costume in real life? A full size figure could have been created to be more risque, and with a very unrealistic body type. She made the costume, she entered the contest to become the official LC girl, so it's not like they hired her and dressed up in the costume - it's what she wanted to do. If PAX wants to regulate what can be worn for cosplay at a booth, then they should do some kind of pre-approval beforehand.

Also the family friendly argument doesn't make sense here because then you would have to ask other cosplayers to cover up (which is not a new problem for conventions, given some anime and sci-fi costume designs), and censor more of the violent footage that is shown in plain view.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Haterot wrote: »
    They're trying to create a family-friendly atmosphere? Have they seen whats showing on all the huge monitors? The family-friendly answer is a crap line. between Ghost recon and assassin's Creed 3 and any other game there's enough family-friendly killin to go around. I saw Jessica's Lollipop outfit when she was walking back to the Westin. Compared to some cosplayers it was tame.
    I agree the no booth babe rule is what should be enforced, and was clearly not as evident at several booths. This is getting a lot more attnetion than it should but I think, as someone has said, it's because of the hypocrisy that was displayed in the 'judgement' call.

It's not necessarily about a "family friendly" atmosphere. The booth babe policy is what it is because of community survey. The community at large decided that they did not want to be pandered to via booth babes, and now things are what they are. Also, this specific issue is due to the fact that she was being paid to pimp a game, which makes her subject to the policy. Cosplayers are not under the same policy since the community did not vote to ban skimpy unpaid cosplay. It's not hypocritical because it's not about being "family friendly" or "politically correct"; it's about saying that attendees do not want to be sold things on the show floor using sexual exploitation.

• Options
    What confuses me about this is why, when you are so passionate about catching a glimpse of her exposed skin, you don't just Google something and move on?

Or, if you think this is an important issue, start planning a Models Who Sexually Pander to Gamers Expo, because that isn't PAX, and never will be.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you are bemoaning a nonexistent family values brigade, then you have a critical lack of any clue as to why this thing is looked down upon.

Exploiting women to sell a product is degrading and creates an uncomfortable environment for a group that is in most need of a safe place to enjoy their hobby. I don't think a developer should get around this rule because their game has misogynistic elements designed to help it sell. "Oh but my game features a scantily clad high school student!" does not magically absolve you of this rule. There will be gray areas, but I feel this is pretty cut-and-dry.

It's a shame that the person in question was eager and willing to create/wear such a costume, but it's still exploitation. If you want to do some racier cosplay as a regular PAX participant, cool, but you have to follow certain rules once you decide to don your cosplay as the representative of a company.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    If you are bemoaning a nonexistent family values brigade, then you have a critical lack of any clue as to why this thing is looked down upon.

Exploiting women to sell a product is degrading and creates an uncomfortable environment for a group that is in most need of a safe place to enjoy their hobby. I don't think a developer should get around this rule because their game has misogynistic elements designed to help it sell. "Oh but my game features a scantily clad high school student!" does not magically absolve you of this rule. There will be gray areas, but I feel this is pretty cut-and-dry.

It's a shame that the person in question was eager and willing to create/wear such a costume, but it's still exploitation. If you want to do some racier cosplay as a regular PAX participant, cool, but you have to follow certain rules once you decide to don your cosplay as the representative of a company.

No, I totally get why this is being looked down upon. I don't understand why it stops at the cosplay and doesn't go to the game itself. If bringing the character into the real world is not okay, then how is showing the game okay? Personally I think the whole concept of Lollipop Chainsaw is just to have a scantily clad girl running around killing zombies, and that is misogynistic. If people want this safe environment, then maybe games like this shouldn't be allowed in the first place.

stardust462 on
  • Options
    KermiKermi Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    My understanding is the pink outfit generated the complaints, but once the complaints were made they ruled the Cheerleader outfit wasn't appropriate either. They didn't throw her out, she just couldn't dress like that. Yes, this prevented her from doing her job as a model hired by Warner Bros. to "be" Juliet, and that's unfortunate, but I really don't think PAX or Robert did anything wrong, and I really don't understand why there's a huge thing about this.

I personally have nothing against Jessica or her outfits or the game (I'm planning on buying the game and yes, this is on the understanding that all it is is having a scantily clad cheerleader running around cutting up zombies - looks like fun) but if there were complaints and PAX is supposed to be a more or less family friendly event, I don't see what the big deal is.

Penny Arcade are only appearing hypocritical because of the Dickwolves thing a couple of of years back. Have people considered it's not hypocrisy but a little thing called "learning from your mistakes"? I don't necessarily like that Jessica was sent away, but I think PAX did the right thing here.

You can argue "oh, well she just dressed like the character from the game", but games aren't real life. This isn't about misogyny or objectification or whether or not Jessica was comfortable dressing in those outfits (having seen some of her previous work I don't even think the pink outfit was her most scandalous costume to date), it's just a judgement call that was made because enough complaints were generated that not taking action may have become an issue.

We all know Jessica wasn't just some hired booth bimbo, but not everyone appreciates that.

Kermi on
    The road before me is lit by the bridges burning behind me.
This discussion has been closed.