As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    doublepost fail

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Louie wrote: »
    Will projectile attacks track target movement and always hit unless you dodge?

I'm curious about this too. It seems like there has to be some sort of aim assist or projectile tracking or whatever you want to call it. Since there's no way to lead shots with a ranged weapon, then it would be incredibly easy to avoid ranged damage while you close in by just zig-zagging around. Though maybe the projectile's hitbox is big enough so that this isn't feasible. I'm sure they've already thought of this and accounted for it, so I'm not really worried. Curious how it works though.

Its pretty much the same as gw1, except that people can step infront of your projectile and it can hit a non-target this way. Play some dragon arena today in guild wars 1 to get the idea.

Basically your character automatically predicts will your target will be, if your target stays on course, and fires to hit that spot. Somone actively zig zagging can dodge projectiels fired at him in this manner.

Now keep in mind that a lot of the projecitiles are low arc and fast, and thus will be hard to dodge because that projectile will hit you very quickly. But as far as I understand all projectiles are simulated and do not track.

Draygo on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I'm curious about this too. It seems like there has to be some sort of aim assist or projectile tracking or whatever you want to call it. Since there's no way to lead shots with a ranged weapon, then it would be incredibly easy to avoid ranged damage while you close in by just zig-zagging around. Though maybe the projectile's hitbox is big enough so that this isn't feasible. I'm sure they've already thought of this and accounted for it, so I'm not really worried. Curious how it works though.

The game will calculate the trajectory for your arrows based on the target's position and movement, but once the arrows leave the bow the trajectory is fixed. So if the target is quick enough they can avoid the attack via dodge, blocking the arrows with a skill, or just moving out of the way (or someone else moving in the way).

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Not unless the projectile is tracking.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    That is good to hear. I wasn't sure if it was like other MMOs where you'd activate a certain ability, and there's a 50% change to dodge or something weak like that.

I have been pretty far out of the loop when it comes to Guild Wars 2 stuff over the past year.

Yea wow, nothing like that. I mean, you can dodge attacks in this simply by moving your character. Like regular physical attacks. If you move away from the swing they miss.

This makes me so excited I can hardly believe it is real

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    3pm! So early, must find a way to get out of work before 9pm.

• Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    So close. Am off to watch the new Avengers film tomorrow which starts at the same time as this - hopefully this means when I get on a few hours later it'll be lag-free, queue-free :)

On another note I have always sucked badly at PVP, mostly because I don't know WHY we are doing stuff - AV back in the day was the absolute worst. So many acronyms - "All go XY!" (where the **** is XY???). I'm hoping to have a real go at the PVP stuff in this, so if you see/hear someone asking inane questions and being permanently lost that'll be me - be nice :)

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    You could look for the little swords on the map that represent battles and go anywhere else.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Draygo wrote: »

Its pretty much the same as gw1, except that people can step infront of your projectile and it can hit a non-target this way. Play some dragon arena today in guild wars 1 to get the idea.

Basically your character automatically predicts will your target will be, if your target stays on course, and fires to hit that spot. Somone actively zig zagging can dodge projectiels fired at him in this manner.

Now keep in mind that a lot of the projecitiles are low arc and fast, and thus will be hard to dodge because that projectile will hit you very quickly. But as far as I understand all projectiles are simulated and do not track.
    Enig wrote: »

The game will calculate the trajectory for your arrows based on the target's position and movement, but once the arrows leave the bow the trajectory is fixed. So if the target is quick enough they can avoid the attack via dodge, blocking the arrows with a skill, or just moving out of the way (or someone else moving in the way).

Ah, that sounds like a good way to do it. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just watching some pvp vids and it is hilarious when some one comes across 2 mesmers and suddenly it looks like you are facing a massive group of enemies.

Also saw something I liked where a character threw up a force field to defend a pvp point - can not wait!

edit: I'm sure I just saw an engineer shrink himself to escape a battle, how does this game continue to surprise me with awesomeness?

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    That is good to hear. I wasn't sure if it was like other MMOs where you'd activate a certain ability, and there's a 50% change to dodge or something weak like that.

I have been pretty far out of the loop when it comes to Guild Wars 2 stuff over the past year.

Yea wow, nothing like that. I mean, you can dodge attacks in this simply by moving your character. Like regular physical attacks. If you move away from the swing they miss.

Thank the maker!

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    There are definitely quite a few projectile attacks that track.

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    3pm! So early, must find a way to get out of work before 9pm.

This is right after I get home. Works for me just fine :D

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

Is there any way to block them, or do you just have to take em?

mrsatansig.png
  • Options

There are blocking and shield skills but you can also use the dodge.

• Options

Ah OK. And that'll still dodge tracking projectiles?

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Yeah the dodge makes you immune while it's going off. The projectile might hit you, I'm not sure, but you won't take damage.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Yeah the dodge makes you immune while it's going off. The projectile might hit you, I'm not sure, but you won't take damage.

That was my interpretation as well, that you could just use dodge, shield, los, or a teammate to block the vast majority of projectiles. While others like the GTAoE meteor from ele's could simply be zig-zag'd around without wasting the dodge bar.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Livestream test of GW2 source capture and stuff complete. I am ready for tomorrow on that front. Charrbroiled will also be streaming the event (I don't know his livestream channel address). I will make sure to post here when the livestream is live. I should be home between 11 am and 1 pm EST and able to begin setup and prep. It'll go on for as long as I remain conscious and full of caffeine and such, and will continue throughout the weekend.

All are welcome to watch, as I will do my best to be informative and entertaining and highlight our PA community adventures in the game, and show off it's finer points and systems. I'll also be in TS with everyone chatting and networking people for events and PvP.

Excitement.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There's a size comparison chart, here you go

http://secretagentcat.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/height-chart.jpg

Confirmed arenanet are biased against homosexual charr

preorder unprerecancelled

override367 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'd stream if I didn't have some weird issue that just up and hangs my computer when streaming.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, reports are that the digital editions of the game are "sold out". I'm betting this is simply to limit the damage done to arenanet's servers tomorrow. It's not like they ran out of digital keys or anything.

I'd bet that a typical server can handle 5000-ish simultaneous logins. With 48 servers, that would be 240,000 accounts. Of course not everyone will be loging in in at the same time, but pretty much everyone who pre-purchased will be online at some point this weekend. Conservatively assume 70% diversity in logins. That means that as many as 350,000 accounts might have already been created!

26904.png
  • Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Stupid wrote: »
    For what it's worth, reports are that the digital editions of the game are "sold out". I'm betting this is simply to limit the damage done to arenanet's servers tomorrow. It's not like they ran out of digital keys or anything.

I'd bet that a typical server can handle 5000-ish simultaneous logins. With 48 servers, that would be 240,000 accounts. Of course not everyone will be loging in in at the same time, but pretty much everyone who pre-purchased will be online at some point this weekend. Conservatively assume 70% diversity in logins. That means that as many as 350,000 accounts might have already been created!

This ain't the case in the EU however, which may or may not be interesting.

Edit= What definitely is interesting, is that TODAY is now BWE day.

Kafka87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    How many hrs from now until BWE starts? I'm stuck at work for another 6hrs :(

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Klatu wrote: »
    How many hrs from now until BWE starts? I'm stuck at work for another 6hrs :(

19 and 20 minutes.

And on that note, I'm off to bed. Must sleep faster!

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Thx

I feel sick .. might be coming down with something that is going to make me unavailable for work tomorrow ;)

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Ah OK. And that'll still dodge tracking projectiles?

I haven't seen tracking projectile attacks, but if they do exist then an additional way to block them would be to have a tougher character stand between you and the enemy, or alternatively simply ducking behind some cover. Could be useful for flimsy characters.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I will be 3.5 hours late to the beta, but by golly I will be there super hard the instant I wake up. At 6:30. On a Saturday morning.

YEAH.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »

They said this might happen if they ran out of server capacity. It should re-open soon once they bring more servers/capacity online. No idea if it will be before the weekend though.

On the plus side, this means GW2 is selling rather well.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    I looked pretty closely at some PvP encounters when a friend wanted more concrete information on how combat worked and some of the projectiles definitely tracked. I don't know how it works, whether proximity is involved or not, but the projectiles aren't all skill shots.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I will be 3.5 hours late to the beta, but by golly I will be there super hard the instant I wake up. At 6:30. On a Saturday morning.

YEAH.

i'm gonna be 2.5 hours late but i will make my character as it starts to try and get the name i want

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Can you level up, get experience, and earn/buy weapons in WuvWuv? Stronger weapons, not just cosmetic like structured.

Edit: also beta is downloaded 95% WOOOOOOOOOOO!

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I looked pretty closely at some PvP encounters when a friend wanted more concrete information on how combat worked and some of the projectiles definitely tracked. I don't know how it works, whether proximity is involved or not, but the projectiles aren't all skill shots.

Do you mean tracking like a homing missile (such as in WoW), or as in trajectory automatically handled for you (such as in GW1)?

Kadoken wrote: »
    Can you level up, get experience, and earn/buy weapons in WuvWuv? Stronger weapons, not just cosmetic like structured.

You can get XP, level up and get gear in WvW. In WvW, enemy players actually drop loot/gold like monsters do in PvE. So you can get some nice, level-appropriate gear that way.

As for like, WvW gear sets, I don't know if those are lvl80 only or not.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular

I believe enemy players drop loot just like in PvE.

• Options
    All projectiles appear to lead targets. All projectiles appear to be physics modeled. Some, like engineer pistol shots, have very flat trajectories and high muzzle velocities, making them nearly impossible to avoid with just movement. Some projectiles track. Off the top of my head, I can remember that quite a few underwater skills specifically say they track.

• Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular

Depends on what you mean by "stronger" weapons. At level 80, gear is normalized. There is no gear progression like every other game.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    Enig wrote: »

Do you mean tracking like a homing missile (such as in WoW), or as in trajectory automatically handled for you (such as in GW1)?

You can get XP, level up and get gear in WvW. In WvW, enemy players actually drop loot/gold like monsters do in PvE. So you can get some nice, level-appropriate gear that way.

As for like, WvW gear sets, I don't know if those are lvl80 only or not.

They home.

• Options
    ThendashThendash Registered User regular
    Less than a day! I am excited.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just to rehash the discussion from earlier - I think my interest in the previous NDA being lifted is people who were in the previous beta able to openly compare and note the changes made between the previous beta and the first BWE, which is interesting to me because it can be indicative of the direction the team is thinking of taking in terms of churning out the final product.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Just to rehash the discussion from earlier - I think my interest in the previous NDA being lifted is people who were in the previous beta able to openly compare and note the changes made between the previous beta and the first BWE, which is interesting to me because it can be indicative of the direction the team is thinking of taking in terms of churning out the final product.

You could just look at the press release videos during the same beta. I mean, it isn't going to be vastly different than what the average gamer, who wasn't raging, is going to say. The NDA (for non-press) isn't getting lifted.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
This discussion has been closed.