As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• MazloMazlo Registered User regular
    I played Mesmer to 18 and really wanted to play a shattering dual sword build like surreality but this required a level of finesse that I couldn't seem to manage with the lag/performance issues. Maybe I had network latency or my settings were too high but there were many times throughout the BWE where I thought I had timed a dodge, distortion, riposte, or flurry-evade correctly only to have the game "speed up" to get through the lag and all of a sudden I was at half health. Kiting with staff/scepter was much more forgiving of these performance/lag issues.

The little bit of warrior I played didn't seem to care as much about taking damage - he just beat things down (but was boring IMO.)

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ye i think until people start using their lockdown abilities mesmers are gonna troll them

obF2Wuw.png
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I found Mesmers a bit OP. I was in numerous situations where there were like 5-6 of us and we couldn't down a single Mesmer. One of those situations with with a number of PA people trying to take a red supply camp behind their lines, and this one Mesmer was just holding it by himself. Everytime we'd get him down a bit, he's teleport away and heal to basically full health.

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    as a Guardian, who does not have nearly as many skills as an Elementalist or Engineer, I could:

<death by awesome>

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed in how bland mesmers feel compared to that. Couldn't feel they had anything visually distinctive other than turning illusions into butterflies.

I think this is precisely why I stopped playing Mesmer and looked for a different class to play

once I revealed every skill available, I found Mesmer to be pretty two-dimensional, even BEFORE playing the Guardian

some of it is around the fact that it's heavily based on the illusion/shatter system, which feels incredibly limiting and it feels like you're "doing it wrong" if you don't choose your utility skills to support that mechanic

Different strokes and all that.

I enjoyed mesmer the most. They are sooooo hard to pin down if built that way. I was rolling around with a dual sword mesmer in the arena and never died. And I could dish out good damage. I built specifically to NOT shatter illusions.

It was AWESOME. But as I've seen builds have a HUGE effect on the classes and how different they can be.

I ventured back over to RIFT's off topic forums to read about GW2 impressions there and the whole build thing seems to still fly over people's heads years after GW1 was released: A lot of people that dislike (or don't want to play) peg the fact that you can't use everything at once as show the game is shallow and restrictive, when the whole point of having a 'deck' is to require you to think ahead and create a build that has synergy with itself, your team, and your playstyle. So far GW2 has impressed me with how well you can build out fairly unique builds that play very different, so much so that people can be soured on a class by focusing on a build that simply isn't fun for them, even if it might be a good build.

Well, that and GW2 is a little overwhelming at first since there's not really an MMO where weapon swapping on the fly is so critical.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I feel like I was just kicked out of Narnia.

This man has the truth of it. I enjoyed briefly playing in the same guild as you guys this weekend, until sometime on Saturday it decided that while my account was still in the guild, I was unable to actually interact with the guild at all. Still, what a great time that was.

I think I'm pretty settled on playing Thief for my first character when release finally rolls around. Dagger/Dagger and Pistol/Pistol were just way too much fun, and hammering Leaping Death Blossom in packs of enemies made me feel like a death blender.

Managed to get up to level 17 or so, and saw a good chunk of the Diessa area. Really enjoyed how completely different the personal stories were, which should help make repeated trips through a racial area more interesting. At the very least, you know you'll have something different to look forward to every few levels.

It was kind of laughable how different things were between my wife in Blood Legion, and myself in Ash Legion. She came out of the tutorial to
    Getting dressed down, threatened, and attacked by her commanding officer after most of her warband died.
    Meanwhile, I got
    Consolation and immediate promotion.
    It was funny.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Anyone else tempted to make a female asura rifle engineer named Tristana?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I think part of the problem is that mesmer is super fun in pvp, but so, so, so different in pve.

What is this I don't even.
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Oh sweet, Jon Peters confirmed that after release ArenaNet wants to add in 1v1 dueling in the game world. Can't wait.

Can't imagine going back to GW1 now.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    steejee wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    as a Guardian, who does not have nearly as many skills as an Elementalist or Engineer, I could:

<death by awesome>

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed in how bland mesmers feel compared to that. Couldn't feel they had anything visually distinctive other than turning illusions into butterflies.

I think this is precisely why I stopped playing Mesmer and looked for a different class to play

once I revealed every skill available, I found Mesmer to be pretty two-dimensional, even BEFORE playing the Guardian

some of it is around the fact that it's heavily based on the illusion/shatter system, which feels incredibly limiting and it feels like you're "doing it wrong" if you don't choose your utility skills to support that mechanic

Different strokes and all that.

I enjoyed mesmer the most. They are sooooo hard to pin down if built that way. I was rolling around with a dual sword mesmer in the arena and never died. And I could dish out good damage. I built specifically to NOT shatter illusions.

It was AWESOME. But as I've seen builds have a HUGE effect on the classes and how different they can be.

I ventured back over to RIFT's off topic forums to read about GW2 impressions there and the whole build thing seems to still fly over people's heads years after GW1 was released: A lot of people that dislike (or don't want to play) peg the fact that you can't use everything at once as show the game is shallow and restrictive, when the whole point of having a 'deck' is to require you to think ahead and create a build that has synergy with itself, your team, and your playstyle. So far GW2 has impressed me with how well you can build out fairly unique builds that play very different, so much so that people can be soured on a class by focusing on a build that simply isn't fun for them, even if it might be a good build.

Well, that and GW2 is a little overwhelming at first since there's not really an MMO where weapon swapping on the fly is so critical.

So true. But whether people learn or not... I'll still be having fun. I just hope enough people are smart enough to figure it out and play the game to keep the community going. Rifling through all the abilities and traits and coming up with something with layers upon layers of synergy is just... so satisfying.

But seriously...

Hey ANet! That beta went like... super well right? So you guys can release it now, right? Right? RIGHT?!?!?!?!

• derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    The worst thing of this beta weekend is that now going back to GW1 is going to be hard ;_; and i just need 8 more HoM points :/

Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    I hate how skimpy the default outfits are. My necromancer doesn't like running around half-naked, damn it. Next beta, I'm crafting some better armor for myself.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Really enjoyed my Norn Guardian and will probably play in release, next Beta weekend I'm going for a Human Engie inspired by FF8s Irvine.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Those of you who loved guardian: Can you tell me what was awesome about them?

What is this I don't even.
  • Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    I had an amazing time. Played a Warrior to 17. I didn't get to PVP and didn't get to actually interact with any of you guys at all due to some real life stuff that came up, but I'm hoping I'll get to do that stuff next BWE. I also hope either our characters aren't wiped or we get the same instant level to 30 that the Press got in future BWEs, because I really want to be able to get into the 30s and try out the dungeon.

PSN: Scotty85
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Can't imagine going back to any other game now.

:mrgreen:
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I really liked the defensive/retaliation playstyle, personally. I only got my guardian to level 11, but I was using mace/shield and greatsword to great effect. Pulling a ton of mobs in with the greatsword, then using the spinning attack, dropping symbols. Then switching to mace/shield, using protector's strike (blocks next attack, retaliates with really big damage) and the nuke/defensive buff from the shield line. It was very sturdy, hard as hell to bring down, while still doing tons of damage. Taking down veterans without taking more than 10% of your life in damage while in melee was tons of fun.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    I really liked the defensive/retaliation playstyle, personally. I only got my guardian to level 11, but I was using mace/shield and greatsword to great effect. Pulling a ton of mobs in with the greatsword, then using the spinning attack, dropping symbols. Then switching to mace/shield, using protector's strike (blocks next attack, retaliates with really big damage) and the nuke/defensive buff from the shield line. It was very sturdy, hard as hell to bring down, while still doing tons of damage. Taking down veterans without taking more than 10% of your life in damage while in melee was tons of fun.

See, that's the problem. That's usually my play style and I can't for the life of me figure out what I was doing wrong there. Next BWE i intend to try again. Maybe I was just tired or something as I didn't roll him until later on on Friday night.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm

My guardian was just really flashy and visceral. Initially I was just using a mace and shield and it was okay but I soon went back to my thief. When I was reminded about the greatsword I logged back into the guardian and got one of those and a hammer.

The greatsword is fun because of its reach. You can hit a lot of enemies when they're bunched up. I usually start with the leap, although I wish the range was longer, I'm almost in melee range when I can trigger it. Then if I'm in a group I put down the symbol of wrath which burns enemies and gives a boon to allies. Then there is a spinning attack which will work in melee and at range and the regular auto-attack that sounds really good when it connects. The fifth skill throws a sword at the enemy and blinds them, then you can press it again to yank the enemy to you.

I also tried the staff, which is basically a shotgun and is again really great in group combat.

I didn't even unlock weapon swapping on the guardian so being able to combine two sets will be even better.

One of the guardian's weapons lets you throw chains in a line and immobilize whatever you hit, which is really cool too!

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular

I played around with a combo of a Greatsword, along with a Sword+Torch and found it to be amazing. Greatsword provides so much AoE capability right off the bat, even with just the #1 skill but the #4 and #5 abilities basically means nothing can get away. Add on top of that with the Sword+Torch combo, your #2 skill teleports you to your target, #4 is a frontal cone magical flame breath that burns enemies AND removes conditions from allies. Finally the #5 ability for the Torch has you set yourself on fire doing periodic damage around you, but you can use it again to throw the fire at your enemy if they get away.

Felt like a nice offensive powerhouse, adding onto that I was using a utility that teleported me to my target in a magical fire, burning them and other nearby enemies as well as a Signet that reduced damage I take but if used granted retaliation to myself and allies.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    emphasis on staff shotgun

also breathing fire

also mace + shield guardian or mace + focus guardian was totally boss

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Klyka wrote: »
    I am miffed though that we only get BWEs. I mean, why only a weekend? Where is the problem with just letting it open?

ANet gains nothing from just opening it up 24/7 and stands to actually lose a bit by doing that. One weekend will give them enough data and bugs (on top of the many bugs/notes they already had internally) to last them for weeks/months, and leaving it open requires resources and could interfere with their own testing. Plus leaving it open means you'll have people sorta wearing themselves out on an unbalanced/upolished game rather than the release version.
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I'm starting to get a sinking feeling about combat.
    As I leveled my weapons from levels 1-15 I unlocked more and more of my combinations, at level 12 I had almost all of them unlocked. By level 15 I had my rotations down and it was simply a matter of watching my rear when kiting and figuring out on the fly what to do when something bad happened.

The top level is level 80.
    What's left to make me interested in those 65 other levels of combat and fighting?!

This worries me too because honestly, looking at the skill bar, what you have is like 3 utility skills and 1 elite? And those 3 utility skills typically have a very long cooldown and typically don't gel with each other. So pretty much by 20 (when you get your 3rd slot unlock) you can pretty much choose the 3 skills you want and then never change them ever except for very specific situations. Heck, the only time I changed my stuff around was to get in a run speed skill to move from point to point.

If the combat itself (or events, PvP and your personal story) isn't keeping you interested then you're going to have a problem. There's stuff like traits that you can unlock, and experimenting and honing your build will be something you'll be doing, but the game is not about covering itself up with progression mechanics like other MMOs.

I'm just going to treat the game like a regular multiplayer game. The leveling is just to pace your character and to make customization less overwhelming. To me, it's really nice not having to worry about leveling to unlock most of my skills.

The whole 'most everything is available pretty quickly' aspect is one of my favorite parts. Other MMOs I feel like I'm just burning levels to 'complete' my character. While the Support abilities do have longer cooldowns, I never felt I was waiting for them, at least with Ranger traps. Longest CD I saw was a 4min CD for an Elite, which is perfectly reasonable (especially since a lot of elites last for 30s+).

After playing a thief at 80 in structured PvP, then playing a thief at level 15, I felt like I was burning levels to complete my character.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited April 2012
    After playing a thief at 80 in structured PvP, then playing a thief at level 15, I felt like I was burning levels to complete my character.

At 15, I can agree a little, but at 20 all you're missing is an Elite skill. Granted you will have a lot of skills to buy still, but you can have an initial loadout complete fairly early (and can use Structured/WvW to get a feel for an early build you want to start with). As it was, on Ranger, even with only two support skills I didn't feel particularly incomplete. It may have just been down to having *EVERYTHING* available when you are in PvP vs having a lot of stuff left to buy/unlock in PvE pre 20, even though the support skills you'd actually want on your PvE side could be fairly limited and easily obtained.

steejee on
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    I didn't do any of the traits so it's possible they change your character's play style sufficiently that you miss them.

• charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular
    This needs to be a new feature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErcgJUcRc28

4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
    How

At 15, I can agree a little, but at 20 all you're missing is an Elite skill. Granted you will have a lot of skills to buy still, but you can have an initial loadout complete fairly early (and can use Structured/WvW to get a feel for an early build you want to start with). As it was, on Ranger, even with only two support skills I didn't feel particularly incomplete. It may have just been down to having *EVERYTHING* available when you are in PvP vs having a lot of stuff left to buy/unlock in PvE pre 20, even though the support skills you'd actually want on your PvE side could be fairly limited and easily obtained.

Really, it was not having the traits that I had at 80 that made the biggest difference for me.

mrsatansig.png
    Slime tonic, turns you into a slime.

edited April 2012

Really, it was not having the traits that I had at 80 that made the biggest difference for me.

Ah, still, for me the only time I felt like I was counting down to level __ was for weapon swapping (which should really be available earlier). Maybe things were just fun enough as was that I didn't care too much about abilities and traits I didn't have yet.

steejee on
    Arthil wrote: »
    Slime tonic, turns you into a slime.

For how long? I want to fight as a lime using a greatsword!

As a lime, yeah!

Ah, still, for me the only time I felt like I was counting down to level __ was for weapon swapping (which should really be available earlier). Maybe things were just fun enough as was that I didn't care too much about abilities and traits I didn't have yet.

I played as thief, and let me tell you - acrobatics made a huge difference in playstyle. Instead of only being able to dodge twice before having to soak up hits, I was able to dodge around 5-6 times, which greatly increased my survivability/mobility. Also, as I said about a billion times in guild chat, dropping caltrops whenever I dodge is fucking awesome!

mrsatansig.png
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I had a super awesome time bringing my charr warrior to 23 over the entire weekend (which I calculated I spent approximately 40 hours playing + or - 2 hours). I had an incredible time in wuvwuv and loveloveLOVED marauding with a pair of groups taking camps and keeps.

The final seige on Sunday (that I participated in) of treb'ing the walls down and not winning Stonemist in an epic 3-way battle was, to say the least, EPIC in the best of ways.

I probably played more of the story than I wanted to, so next weekend I'm steering clear of charr altogether. I've determined that Elementalist is simply WAY too diverse to not use for primarily wuvwuving, so I will likely do that all next weekend. I had a good run using one in the structured PvP with maxed traits and all skills. Tornado is P good.

Also: Thief is not for me in this game, like at all.

I played as thief, and let me tell you - acrobatics made a huge difference in playstyle. Instead of only being able to dodge twice before having to soak up hits, I was able to dodge around 5-6 times, which greatly increased my survivability/mobility. Also, as I said about a billion times in guild chat, dropping caltrops whenever I dodge is fucking awesome!

How do you set up the traits to allow you to dodge that often?

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Seriously traits make a big difference. Like... I'm going to have such a hard time deciding what order to get my traits. I know the ones I want but... the order? GONNA BE HARD! :winky:

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    I wonder if if we should start some profession threads along with the new general thread coming up. I really, really want to talk about the classes I played with other people that played them. See what everyone else feels how each class "should" be played, because I'd say there are three to five different ways to play each profession and like 5 or so builds for each of those playstyles. I could go on for many pages just talking about the different things I tried on the elementalist and thief.

What are our thoughts on that? Cause I really want to go into depth on the elementalist. I played it a lot, and unlocked every skill but definitely gravitated to certain load outs. Sometimes I felt very powerful, and other times I felt like I couldn't do anything. I want to talk for pages on the ways I felt worked well for me, and I want other people to discuss with me so I may find out how to overcome my short-comings because I found I had a LOT of them in Structured PvP.

How do you set up the traits to allow you to dodge that often?

Second Minor Trait in the Acrobatics line, dodging gives back some of the endurance used.

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    So for thief... I never figured out how the steal thing is supposed to work. Is it just totally random with what skill you can follow it up with? Steal itself I used no problem, but then the skill slot then becomes a great number of different abilities with no tooltip really explaining why or how to effect it.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I might just suck at Trait allocation then :p

Was playing a Ranger and didn't look too deep into any of my trait lines (might have completely forgotten to set them up for PvP come to think of it).

This discussion has been closed.