As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mom Effect

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    youtube.com/watch?v=x5JvbD2Zc9I
    "An End Once and For All" gets me almost choking up.
    This game has become a weirdly personal experience for me, it seems.
    'I'm Proud Of You' always turns me into this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrDcAzD6cWM

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i wanted to like miranda but i didn't like her personality and my attempts to befriend her were for naught.

i ended up liking Jack way more.

she totally ends up being your friend

no, wait, she's wrong about one thing therefore she's wrong about everything and that makes her awful

deep video game opinions

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    i wanted to like miranda but i didn't like her personality and my attempts to befriend her were for naught.

no, wait, she's wrong about one thing therefore she's wrong about everything and that makes her awful

deep video game opinions

One thing?

Is "everything" one thing now?

How zen.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    clearly, we played different versions of the same game

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I never really got some people's complaints about Miranda.

Apparently some people think she's annoying because she hates her life because she's too perfect?

I never quite grasped how anyone came to that conclusion, but that seems to be the impression she leaves on people. I guess if I only saw a character at face value, I might do the same. But I don't do that. I found something likable about everyone in the ME2 crew.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

Apparently some people think she's annoying because she hates her life because she's too perfect?

I never quite grasped how anyone came to that conclusion, but that seems to be the impression she leaves on people. I guess if I only saw a character at face value, I might do the same. But I don't do that. I found something likable about everyone in the ME2 crew.

If it had only been ME2, I might have come to pardon Miranda.

But in ME3, she whiffs it. Big time.
    Look, lady. You've got trouble. You also have Commander Shepard right there, asking to help.

She's

1) A walking warzone. Like, the deadliest Krogan alive looks at her and goes "Shit, if I want to learn how to kill better, she's pretty much it as far as teachers go". Her Reaper kill count is in competition with most civilizations.

2) Offering to help in any way possible, and from experience, Miranda should know that Shepard does not have "too petty" in her vocabulary. She's probably already stopped to talk a store clerk into giving a guy a 15 credit refund.

Miranda then proceeds to not even begin to explain anything.

Later, she asks for "alliance intel" without giving any details. That's a massive security compromise. If it wasn't a game where moves like that tend to pay out, that'd be the stupidest thing Shep could do with the whole indoctrination-and-moles bit going on.

Also, she dies if you dump her. Weak.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Ha, Miranda ain't even a thing for my Shepard anymore. That bitch died on the collector ship :rotate:

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

deep video game opinions
    @Dubh

she really acted bitchy to me and my conversations with her didn't go very far

i honestly tried to move past the argument with jack

that hurt :(

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Bottom line, if you follow Miranda's advice, people die. Get out that airlock.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    she's right about being able to lead the squad, for one

and who should enter the vents

soooooooo

deep video game opinions
    @Dubh

she really acted bitchy to me and my conversations with her didn't go very far

i honestly tried to move past the argument with jack

that hurt :(

It wasn't specifically directed at you

But I was grouchily stating my opinion

probably wouldn't have said something back, except...

your goddamn feelings were hurt over a video game

is this where I tell you to suck it up?

Because I'm genuinally insulted based on yesterday's... issue

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    my feelings weren't hurt by the game

my feelings were hurt by you

i thought you were snarking at me

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So, if Miranda dies during the collector mission, what happens to
    Orianna, at Sanctuary?

edit: Nevermind, found the answer on the wiki.
    If Miranda did not survive the Suicide Mission, then Oriana will message Shepard via the private terminal saying that her father has made contact and she is going to investigate his activities. If Miranda is not present, Oriana can be killed in the standoff by falling to her death with her father, if Shepard didn't convince Henry to let her go and the Commander didn't shoot Oriana in the leg to free her.

Goatmon on

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    So, if Miranda dies during the collector mission, what happens to
    Orianna, at Sanctuary?

edit: Nevermind, found the answer on the wiki.
    If Miranda did not survive the Suicide Mission, then Oriana will message Shepard via the private terminal saying that her father has made contact and she is going to investigate his activities. If Miranda is not present, Oriana can be killed in the standoff by falling to her death with her father, if Shepard didn't convince Henry to let her go and the Commander didn't shoot Oriana in the leg to free her.

My result was a little different:
    I shot her father in the face and Oriana was never hurt. It was a renegade click option during the conversation.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

If it had only been ME2, I might have come to pardon Miranda.

But in ME3, she whiffs it. Big time.
    Look, lady. You've got trouble. You also have Commander Shepard right there, asking to help.

She's

1) A walking warzone. Like, the deadliest Krogan alive looks at her and goes "Shit, if I want to learn how to kill better, she's pretty much it as far as teachers go". Her Reaper kill count is in competition with most civilizations.

2) Offering to help in any way possible, and from experience, Miranda should know that Shepard does not have "too petty" in her vocabulary. She's probably already stopped to talk a store clerk into giving a guy a 15 credit refund.

Miranda then proceeds to not even begin to explain anything.

Later, she asks for "alliance intel" without giving any details. That's a massive security compromise. If it wasn't a game where moves like that tend to pay out, that'd be the stupidest thing Shep could do with the whole indoctrination-and-moles bit going on.

Also, she dies if you dump her. Weak.

Yeah, I was prepared for ME3 to make Miranda appear awesome at last, since it's the last game and I was expecting everyone to take a couple of levels in awesome. Instead, it just confirmed everyone's bad opinion about her. :^:

(This is doubly true of Jacob)

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Personally I didn't see anything really out of character about that, given her background.
    Gal has huge trust issues. Doubly so when her sister is involved. She also is a control freak and doesn't like anyone else knowing anything they don't need to know. She was really helpful during ME2 because she was under orders to do so.

Now that doesn't mean I think what she did was smart. But she loses her shit when her sister is involved, so I don't blame her for handling it poorly. She still went into it as best as she could.

Still, issues or not, Shepard earned her trust (assuming you helped her with her mission in ME2) and deserved to know more about what was happening before shit hit the fan.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I feel like with jacob they just realized that nobody liked him and there wasn't really anything to do with him unless they spent a lot more time developing him than he was worth by that point.

And Miranda I'd always figured was mostly the romantic interest for manboys (and actual boys) who don't want any attempts at actual romance plot in their rpgs, but are totally cool with boobs. She's basically a Bond girl.

And considering ME3's all about friendships and emotional bonds and sacrifice, neither of them really fit into the major plotlines.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Jacob wasn't a bad character. He just would have been better off as a side character you meet on a mission or that you meet on the citadel a couple times, like the groundskeeper.

he just wasn't interesting enough to really compare to Garrus, Tali, Mordin, Grunt, Samara, etc.

he's a well done vanilla dude in a game of vibrant, dynamic characters.

Same reason I never liked Kaidan. And why Vega spent most of my first ME3 playthrough on the shuttle bay.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    jacob is what happens when a protagonist from one game gets made into an NPC in another game. Shepard isn't necessarily characterized all that well either, but since she's the protagonist the player can just kind of fill in all the gaps in their own mind.

I actually really liked the way they characterized miranda! It was refreshing to see a videogame character that had realistic insecurities that weren't just devices for the player to solve/exploit. Her shadowbroker emails were really hilarious/sad. I can't help but think people would've been left with a better opinion of her if they hadn't made the whole "I'm the perfect woman" thing quite so explicit. We can infer that bioware, you don't need to beat us over the head with it.

Also the problem with her not talking to you about her problem in ME3 I assume was largely editorial necessity, given what that particular priority mission dealt with.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    Goatmon, are you sure there aren't some Mama Racer motivations there? You don't just want to keep all the handsome dudes away from all the ladies you got on the ship?

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Vega's awesome, though.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Kaidan rules

Vega rules

Jacob is a dick

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Batarian Soldier froma veteran pack, thank you probability.

It is

everything I have ever wanted. At one point myself, my human vanguard friend and a krogan sentinel were teaming up on one Geth Prime after another, it was glorious.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I liked Jacob in ME2, but his ME3 appearance was lackluster

also, do any of you take carnage on your krovans?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Kaidan is a boy scout and a fucking pussy. I save the god damn citatel, get humanity on the council, and he has the nerve to lecture me about working with the company that brought me back from the dead? Fuck that guy.
    If given the chance I'd have shot him before shooting Udina.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I put some leftover points into carnage, but as handy as I know it is I always end up going 'oh yeah I have carnage', make a token effort to use it and then forget I have it all over again.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Speed Racer

if Mama Shepard survives ME2, how do you think she'll take to
    Joker hooking up with the ship?

Hah yeah, I was just thinking it would be cool if she survived just to see her reaction to that

On another note, do you think she'll be more interested in the characters in ME3 since
    so much of their personal conversations happen in bars?

And Speed, are you gonna tell her that the Kasumi mission let's her do a heist and gives her a bar?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    speed, did you tell you rmom that you can get drunk in ME2

• Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Kaidan is a boy scout and a fucking pussy. I save the god damn citatel, get humanity on the council, and he has the nerve to lecture me about working with the company that brought me back from the dead? Fuck that guy.
    You...do get the chance? Unless you talked him down.

Is this not what you meant?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCLkIq24PFQ

Also apparently you can kill the Salarian Councillor? Or is that a fabricated thing Udina has?

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i dislike miranda because she is super arrogant and acts superior to everyone

and I don't really care if she actually is superior to everyone

I don't think anyone's ever justified in acting that way and that anyone who does is an asshole

ergo I think miranda's an asshole

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    SwissLion wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    You...do get the chance? Unless you talked him down.

Is this not what you meant?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCLkIq24PFQ

Also apparently you can kill the Salarian Councillor? Or is that a fabricated thing Udina has?
    I had a high enough renegade to talk him down. If I'd have known which option would have shot him at the time I'd have done that. Though it was satisfying to tell him afterward that I was prepared to shoot him had he not backed down.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    on my paragon shepard run,
    I think I sat thinking with the game paused for longer than any other decision in the game when Garrus asked me if I would've been able to kill kaidan if it had come to that.

• Options
    after that scene, I was totally confused by all the people asking me if I would have shot Kaidan. At the time, I had no clue it was even leading up to that.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Hey guys, how should I play an Asari Justicar? Should I spec the bubble thing for sheltering allies?

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Hey guys, how should I play an Asari Justicar? Should I spec the bubble thing for sheltering allies?

definitely get the expanded radius and the "bubble applies warp" one

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    After playing my Canon Femshep run, I want to try the other side, and play Meershep. Is there a romance that's on par with Fem-Shep/Garrus when it comes to 'Dawwww'? I'm supposing Tali... but Liara...or even Ashley?

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    After playing my Canon Femshep run, I want to try the other side, and play Meershep. Is there a romance that's on par with Fem-Shep/Garrus when it comes to 'Dawwww'? I'm supposing Tali... but Liara...or even Ashley?

tali's romance is pretty dang adorable

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Tali romance is easily the most adorable romance

Manshep's Hyper Manly Romance is also pretty good (cortez)

Ashely is a bitch

Liara I couldn't say one way or the other in 3

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Started an ME1 canon run, but after 2/3's super fast streamlined combat it's such a slog. Wish there was skippable combat.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I miss being able to make my guns never, ever run out of ammo, though.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    one of my favorite parts of ME 2 is choosing Jacob over Miranda to lead the first fire team. It is a great moment.

This discussion has been closed.