As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Experiences as Enforcers?

• CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    Britality wrote: »
    Kiashien wrote: »
    My pirate hat does not interfere in any way, and as far as I'm aware should be fine :)

You will find there are quite a few of the Enforcers who very much encourage silly hats, and not just those who are part of Line Entertainment. =D I unfortunately forgot the girly pirate hat I bought specifically for PAX, but at least remembered to bring others.

Actually, having a visible hat can be quite useful. I had a number of times where people were trying to find each other, and they used me as the landmark. "I'm standing next to the enforcer in the pikachu hat" is a fairly clear piece of directional guidance :P

It was not my intention, but I have collected a variety of silly PAX hats at this point. The fluttershy mohawk was the most recent one... but I expect there will be more.

• TihshoTihsho Registered User regular
    Having never been an "official" enforcer my experience might not qualify to most but it made my expo memory better.

Back in the day when enforcers wore black shirts.... (2009) when I went to my first and last prime I wore a black shirt with an over shirt, people would randomly come up and ask questions while I was standing around. it wasn't until after the show that i realized it wasn't that I looked helpful, it was just that I was wearing the same color shirt as enforcers and knew enough to help people.

Just bought this years pass and if there is an open call for new enforcers I'll put in an app but I'm not holding my breath for them to be needing more.

A PAX in every mall! Genius!
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Well then on the application you can put down "2009 - Mistaken for an Enforcer several times during PAX. Have prior experience Enforcering".

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • TihshoTihsho Registered User regular
    And if i ever want to work at Best Buy I'll start hanging out in khaki pants and a blue polo answering questions there!

A PAX in every mall! Genius!
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    My pirate hat does not interfere in any way, and as far as I'm aware should be fine :)

You will find there are quite a few of the Enforcers who very much encourage silly hats, and not just those who are part of Line Entertainment. =D I unfortunately forgot the girly pirate hat I bought specifically for PAX, but at least remembered to bring others.

Actually, having a visible hat can be quite useful. I had a number of times where people were trying to find each other, and they used me as the landmark. "I'm standing next to the enforcer in the pikachu hat" is a fairly clear piece of directional guidance :P

That's actually why I wear it- with also being 6 and a half feet tall, it means even sitting down I can be picked out of a crowd.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    This sort of gives me an excuse to buy a merch hat before enforcing at next PAX East. That plus I really like the hat. Never thought about that until it was posted here.

• vazhkatsivazhkatsi Registered User regular
    first year both going to pax and or enforcing. I worked registration 3-9pm, so pretty much just ran all over the place doing 3-4 hour shifts as spareboard because reg is dead after noonish on friday. I was intending to just work my shifts and then hang out, but instead I worked 3pm-2am friday, 8am-1pm, then 3pm-10pm saturday(met tealdeer in that morning shift) and then relaxed sunday and only worked 10am-2pm and 3pm-6pm because I had to grab a ride with a guy back to new jersey. missed set up, missed tear down and missed the afterparty. NEXT YEAR!

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I like the sound of this "Spareboard".
    Sounds like my kinda work. "We need help, go here." "Can you do this?" That's my kinda work. Anything and everything. I'm a Jane of All Trades.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Quick question about the Enforcer afterparty if I get to join the ranks: Do you have to be 21 to attend?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    No, but if the establishment has a "minors must be out by <time>" rule, then that still needs to be followed. For WA I believe that time is 9PM.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Which usually isn't a problem since the party is often 6p-9p.

True, but last year Jillian's Seattle was nice enough to not kick us out at 9 ("Wait, we have how many open tabs? Keep these bitches drinking!"), but other places (*cough*Jillian's Boston*cough*) seem hellbent on getting us out ASAP.

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

+1 for the silly hat brigade.

[EDIT] Obligatory:
    silly_hats_only.gif

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • HeartpiercedHeartpierced PreMonkey Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I'll definitely be applying to be an [E]. I've been a regular attendee 2 years in a row, and last year, I found myself needing something more to do.
    Peetsnack generously offered to share his room with me when I got a 3-day pass for free, two days before Prime10, and he was obviously having way more fun than me, 'cause I hardly saw him. I could use some fun, and I like to help.

Remember, you are unique. Just like everyone else.
    Twitter: @heartpierced
    Facebook: Nuclearpowered
  • HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    So I applied last year, was accepted, and then ended up turning it down because I had family that wanted to go and spend time with me at the show. My question is, will I still be eligible this year if I apply again?

Unless you have access to the forums, you'll probably need to re-apply.

My apologies if it is buried somewhere in the thread... but will the announcement that applications are available go up on a Twitter feed somewhere or do I need to periodically check the forums?

You should see the announcement here, on the PA and PAX site's and the PAX Twitter account.

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    protip: Follow @Official_PAX (with SMS turned on) to get the latest news about PAX. In the past, they have tweeted about the Call for Enforcers through that account. In addition, http://www.paxsite.com will announce when and if recruitment is open for Enforcers.

For people thinking about becoming Enforcers now that the show is pretty much completely sold out (I think Sunday passes are still available)... I offer the following bit of advice.
    Vapok wrote:
    Becoming an Enforcer is not a great way to "see" the show. Enforcers work the show, and actually make what you guys see happen a success. But it's hard work, and definitely time consuming (not to mention incredibly addictive). If your motivation to become an Enforcer is to "see the show because passes are sold out," .. well, that'd be the wrong reason. =)

If your motivation to become an Enforcer is because you want to be part of the crew that makes PAX happen and helps create an environment that is awesomesauce for attendees, then that'd be the right reason! =)

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
    Vapok wrote: »
    For people thinking about becoming Enforcers now that the show is pretty much completely sold out (I think Sunday passes are still available)... I offer the following bit of advice.
    [/quote]

I have a 3 Day pass, but I'd still love to experience PAX from a "behind the curtain" perspective!

• AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    Just wondering, I know it's been mentioned that it's sort of expected that enforcers will be there to help with the setup/teardown, so how likely would I be able to do that if I attend PAXDev? Wednesday/Thursday maybe a complete write-off for me given the timing.

AlphaTwo wrote: »
    Just wondering, I know it's been mentioned that it's sort of expected that enforcers will be there to help with the setup/teardown, so how likely would I be able to do that if I attend PAXDev? Wednesday/Thursday maybe a complete write-off for me given the timing.

We definitely had people last year sit in for PAX Dev during the show's Setup dates. One thing to keep in mind, is that PAXDev, while a much smaller meeting (compared to PAX, derp), it doesn't go on too late into the evenings, and even then on Wednesday night and Thursday nights there is still plenty of work to be done that you can assist with.

Probably something I wouldn't worry too much about. =)

Vapok
    You should be fine. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for not doing setup/teardown and no one's going to look down on you for not participating in those two.

whypick1 wrote: »
    You should be fine. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for not doing setup/teardown and no one's going to look down on you for not participating in those two.

unless you're whypick... and then it's expected. *glares ominously*

Vapok
    Since when is "I've been here for about 10 hours now so I'm going to start drinking" a bad excuse?

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Well, I have my pass just in case I don't get to join the ranks this year. I truly hope I do so I can donate the pass to a friend of mine who was too slow though. x.x

But a quick question that may have been answered:

I know East was understaffed IIRC, so that would then mean they'd 'hire' more newbie [E]. Is Prime open to new people or do they usually have enough?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, I have my pass just in case I don't get to join the ranks this year. I truly hope I do so I can donate the pass to a friend of mine who was too slow though. x.x

But a quick question that may have been answered:

I know East was understaffed IIRC, so that would then mean they'd 'hire' more newbie [E]. Is Prime open to new people or do they usually have enough?

They've opened up applications the last two Primes as far as I know. There's no way to know for sure though.

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I'm of the same mind and in the same boat. I really want to volunteer, but just in case I snagged a 3day.
    some of my friends are already vying for my badge! lols, Way premature I tell them.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • TukimoshiTukimoshi Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »
    protip: Follow @Official_PAX (with SMS turned on) to get the latest news about PAX. In the past, they have tweeted about the Call for Enforcers through that account. In addition, http://www.paxsite.com will announce when and if recruitment is open for Enforcers.

Vapok wrote:
    Becoming an Enforcer is not a great way to "see" the show. Enforcers work the show, and actually make what you guys see happen a success. But it's hard work, and definitely time consuming (not to mention incredibly addictive). If your motivation to become an Enforcer is to "see the show because passes are sold out," .. well, that'd be the wrong reason. =)

If your motivation to become an Enforcer is because you want to be part of the crew that makes PAX happen and helps create an environment that is awesomesauce for attendees, then that'd be the right reason! =)

Excellent quote. I hope the Enforcer Applications open up though, because I think it'd be cool to be a part of PAX rather than experience it. I got my essential need for PAX out in 2010, and missed last year.
    I'd love to help out, because hard work builds character. :) Plus, I love helping people out, gives you a great feeling knowing you did something useful.

As my dad would say, "Hard work is it's own reward." I guess I have good parents :)

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    True, but last year Jillian's Seattle was nice enough to not kick us out at 9 ("Wait, we have how many open tabs? Keep these bitches drinking!"), but other places (*cough*Jillian's Boston*cough*) seem hellbent on getting us out ASAP.

This is because Boston's liquor laws are hideously puritan. Like I just realized today that I can't get white wine for a dish I wanted to make because I'm pretty sure all the stores near me are closed on Sunday.

Fucking Boston.

Anyway! Re: Silly Hats

I am possessed of a Hat, which contains my soul (it's currently at the cleaners) (I feel naked without it :\ ). A lot of people in Line Management either have Hats or other forms of easily identifiable shit from a distance, because again, this means we can do stuff like START THE LINE OVER BY THE FEISTY GINGER IN THE RAD COWBOY HAT or whatever

TL;DR -- you have to wear a particular shirt, but we highly encourage all manner of silly hats and other accoutrements. Hard mode is pulling a Meatshield and wearing a full set of chainmail with a breastplate under your Enforcer tabard tho. Not recommended, but incredibly awesome.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    One of my first memories involving my trip to Seattle for Prime involved a couple of enforcers. My girlfriend and I were at the airport trying to get a good grasp on how the light rail system worked, when she noticed a couple of gentlemen wearing PAX shirts. She commented to me something along the lines of "Hey, we're in the right place!" and I looked over, and noticed the [ENFORCER] text on the back of one of their shirts and replied "Oh hey! They're enforcers, too!" perhaps a little too loudly. The one closest to me looked over and nodded with a smile, solemnly acknowledging my recognition. As I stood there for a moment, hoping I hadn't made some awkward faux pas, the train came, the two stepped inside, and rode the rail off into the sunset.

After a few more minutes, we figured out how to pass for our train passes and how far we needed to go, and we rode the train off in the same direction, knowing that we were home, and we were welcome.

55ymlH2.png
  • taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    This thread has been so helpfully bumped --- Definitely apply to be an Enforcer!

A: You won't regret it -- if you want it to be, it will be one of the most rewarding things you have EVER done.
    B: WE NEED YOU. The show wouldn't be the same without the Enforcers; it's not just that we're hardcore volunteers, it's that the show is what it is because of us!
    C: Pay attention to @Official_PAX for when the enforcer applications go out -- it won't be for a few months yet.

This coming East will be my tenth PAX. At this point I've seen the community become what it is today, which is a vibrant set of best friends throughout the country (and world). We've had relationships bloom, children born, households created, all because of our association with one another. Most of us see each other throughout the year as we all game together, see movies together, hell, I just took @heels to the shooting range!

And let me tell you, I am extremely proud to be a part of what is literally the greatest convention on the planet.

yBfDKg5.png
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    This is because Boston's liquor laws are hideously puritan. Like I just realized today that I can't get white wine for a dish I wanted to make because I'm pretty sure all the stores near me are closed on Sunday.

Liquor can be sold on Sunday. It can not be sold in non-bar form after 11 PM. Some counties have different laws, but in Boston itself, it's absolutely 11 PM. Source: Going to college there / living in the area for the past whole life :P

The No Sunday thing went away around 20 years ago.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    More like 8 years ago (2004), and until 1996 no store other than grocery stores, pharmacies and gas stations could be open on Sundays, and it was actually the labor unions pushing for that law to stay at the end (the compromise was retail workers at stores with 8 or more employees through the week get time and a half on Sundays)

I work in a grocery store that sells beer and wine, law is on Sundays no liquor sales before noon

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    A little bit late but here goes...

Honestly my two experiences have been great (East '12 and Prime '12). Everyone is very friendly and easy to get along with. The different departments are varied so that there is a something for everyone (line entertainment [make sure you have lots of energy!!!], the different theaters for panels, info booth and etc.) I wish I'd started enforcing earlier (PAX attendee since '08) but I believe I joined at the right time as most of my friends have lost interest in PAX (tsk tsk, I know) or did not have the funds and/or time.

You don't get to experience much of PAX per se (maybe, depends on how you are scheduled honestly) but you do get to see how the well oiled machine of PAX works, which is awesome. You get to be a part of that machine answering questions, bringing laughter, and creating general "wat" moments for the attendees. You might even make some new friends. I think that is worth it alone.

Can't wait for 2013! (I'm still trying to figure out how I'm getting to Australia *sigh* lol)

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
    zeromyst wrote: »
    You don't get to experience much of PAX per se (maybe, depends on how you are scheduled honestly) but you do get to see how the well oiled machine of PAX works, which is awesome. You get to be a part of that machine answering questions, bringing laughter, and creating general "wat" moments for the attendees. You might even make some new friends. I think that is worth it alone.

Or even star in a multi-national youtube video that spans the globe! Ha! (22K views and going!)

Vapok
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    pfft, you were totes recruiting non-enforcers for that video!

zerzhul wrote: »
    pfft, you were totes recruiting non-enforcers for that video!

Actually.. Not 100% true, I only had the post about it on the Enforcer forum. Though, I also invited the PAX Prankers...

But on GO Day (Number 3), I needed to fill in the ranks a little bit, so I grabbed whom ever. That being said, most of the people in that video that "knew" what we were doing, were Enforcers. However at the end when we had like 30+ in the back.. I have no clue where those people came from. Haha. =)

Vapok
  • deathsquirreldeathsquirrel Registered User regular
    I've gone to 2 primes since I became an enforcer. The only thing is I wish I had attended one before I enforced in Seattle since I got very little time to experience the city AND PAX. I live in Boston, so I can devote that whole weekend to PAX, but seattle was a bit different.

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Any links to this video I keep hearing about?

1tLJUH2O.png