As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    tsrblke wrote: »
    Crogoth wrote: »
    i'm having a hard time finding this information again, but when do calls for the omegathon go out? gotta make sure i know when to actually care about my phone's battery life

On June 22nd the Pax Twitters sent out an @ replay that said "within the next month or so" ( So there you go, I'd start keeping track of your battery life now.

Also follow that PAX twitter. Last year IIRC they sent out a somewhat (poorly veiled) tweet that was something like "Phones are ringing" or something stupid like that.

Edit: Pfffttt Zerzhul, there's usually a general answer to a question on the PAX twitter. (Now if Crogoth wanted a specific day, he's hosed.)

"within the next month or so" is a nice way of saying "before pax", but sure, it's an "answer".

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    tsrblke wrote: »
    Crogoth wrote: »
    i'm having a hard time finding this information again, but when do calls for the omegathon go out? gotta make sure i know when to actually care about my phone's battery life

On June 22nd the Pax Twitters sent out an @ replay that said "within the next month or so" ( So there you go, I'd start keeping track of your battery life now.

Also follow that PAX twitter. Last year IIRC they sent out a somewhat (poorly veiled) tweet that was something like "Phones are ringing" or something stupid like that.

Edit: Pfffttt Zerzhul, there's usually a general answer to a question on the PAX twitter. (Now if Crogoth wanted a specific day, he's hosed.)

"within the next month or so" is a nice way of saying "before pax", but sure, it's an "answer".

Yeah sorry, my sarcasm was phrased wrong, also lacked a wink face and a YMMV disclosure. But yeah, it's not a great answer. It's at best a ballpark, but I figured that's what he wanted anyway. Heck even if the twitter said "Week Y!" that wouldn't be much of a help since you wouldn't know the day. The bigger answer I was going for was "pay attention, the twitter usually makes some sort of reference on the day they call" (although if you're phones dead it's too late anyway.)

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    One year Khoo announced when phone calls were being made (2008 IIRC) I remember sleeping next to my phone just in case!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • QBMLMQBMLM Registered User new member
    I know this is kind of being a bit jumpy but I ask this in good faith. I put my application in when they first announced they would be looking for enforcers, does anyone know how long it takes to get a reply if you are an enforcer or not. (I only ask because I have my ticket but if I am an enforcer I will be giving my ticket to a friend who wants to go to PAX but can not afford to. I want him to know as soon as possible so he can get parental permission and get ready)

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    QBMLM wrote: »
    I know this is kind of being a bit jumpy but I ask this in good faith. I put my application in when they first announced they would be looking for enforcers, does anyone know how long it takes to get a reply if you are an enforcer or not. (I only ask because I have my ticket but if I am an enforcer I will be giving my ticket to a friend who wants to go to PAX but can not afford to. I want him to know as soon as possible so he can get parental permission and get ready)

It will take a while. Couple weeks at least.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Zoroark173Zoroark173 Registered User regular
    I have a question! Does anyone know where I can find a nice, but also relatively low priced lanyard that will be good for holding my PAX Badge?

Zoroark173 wrote: »
    I have a question! Does anyone know where I can find a nice, but also relatively low priced lanyard that will be good for holding my PAX Badge?

They give out free lanyards at the show. If you want to put down money for a lanyard, many folks here will point you to http://knittedsteel.storenvy.com/

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Zoroark173 wrote: »

I purchased a Firefly one off Ebay for just a couple bucks. And it does make life a whole lot simpler if you just show up with a lanyard instead of carrying it around until you find where they are giving them out. ;)

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • KimmyBKimmyB Registered User regular
    Hi there! Hopefully I am not one of those people who asks a question that has already been answered, but when does the 2012 Guidebook get released? I assume it is like most things "a few weeks before PAX" once they have all the schedules and maps and stuff figured out, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything more :) Thanks!

KimmyB wrote: »
    Hi there! Hopefully I am not one of those people who asks a question that has already been answered, but when does the 2012 Guidebook get released? I assume it is like most things "a few weeks before PAX" once they have all the schedules and maps and stuff figured out, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything more :) Thanks!

You would be correct, that's about all the information we have here. It will come out when the schedule comes out (or somewhere near it).

You would be correct, that's about all the information we have here. It will come out when the schedule comes out (or somewhere near it).

Thank you!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    And for anyone that doesn't follow the PAX Twitter (and you really should if you don't): They just commented that it will be in early August that the Guidebook App gets updated with Prime info.

wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    And for anyone that doesn't follow the PAX Twitter (and you really should if you don't): They just commented that it will be in early August that the Guidebook App gets updated with Prime info.

Oh great, thanks I will do that :)

TOGSolid wrote: »

Indeed, that's also when they said the schedule will be out :) hopefully they will come out together.

• bLankLOLbLankLOL Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    What is the best way to find out about pax after parties?

bLankLOL on
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    bLankLOL wrote: »
    Follow the twitters of all of the companies you might care about parties from; they tend to announce there. Also, they often give out invites/flyers at their booths. Some get listed on these forums, but that can't be counted on.

The PAX Info Booth only finds out about the parties after attendees tell us, so if you do hear about parties, let us know (better is to give us a flyer if you can) so we can help others find it.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
    bLankLOL wrote: »
    Follow the twitters of all of the companies you might care about parties from; they tend to announce there. Also, they often give out invites/flyers at their booths. Some get listed on these forums, but that can't be counted on.

The PAX Info Booth only finds out about the parties after attendees tell us, so if you do hear about parties, let us know (better is to give us a flyer if you can) so we can help others find it.

Anyone have any experience comment on the unofficial Pax parties twitter? I briefly looked at it last year. Obviously it'd be only as reliable as the guy running it.

• KamajiSanKamajiSan Registered User new member
    edited July 2012
    Anyone know if there will be a Smash tourney this year at PAX Prime?

KamajiSan on
  • iLarkieiLarkie Registered User regular
    I have a general question about passes, when will they be mailed out? I bought them the first day the passes went live.

edited July 2012
    iLarkie wrote: »
    I have a general question about passes, when will they be mailed out? I bought them the first day the passes went live.

you should follow http://twitter.com/official_pax

They should tweet when they start sending them out. I believe they've already said they will be mailed in early to mid August.

zerzhul on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    question on selling passes: i know there is no official thread to do this, but long story short, i was lucky to have someone transfer a three-day pass to me, when i originally only had a Friday pass.

now i'd like to sell my Friday pass, at cost of course, to someone who needs it. is there an officially-sanctioned place to do this? alternatively, is there a way to "return" my Friday pass to PA?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    question on selling passes: i know there is no official thread to do this, but long story short, i was lucky to have someone transfer a three-day pass to me, when i originally only had a Friday pass.

now i'd like to sell my Friday pass, at cost of course, to someone who needs it. is there an officially-sanctioned place to do this? alternatively, is there a way to "return" my Friday pass to PA?

Sorry, there is no official sanctioned way to sell your pass.

As for refunds, I'm not sure. you'll have to email pax_questions@paxsite.com

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • NazoshadowNazoshadow Registered User regular
    Hi,
    I was wondering... does PAX have a "curfew" policy for minors? I know Sakura Con requires all minors leave the con at 1 am till 5 am, I was wondering if PAX enforces a similar rule.

Granted, this is the first time I'll be lugging around a minor (I had no other choice, she's my sister).

Nazoshadow wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was wondering... does PAX have a "curfew" policy for minors? I know Sakura Con requires all minors leave the con at 1 am till 5 am, I was wondering if PAX enforces a similar rule.

Granted, this is the first time I'll be lugging around a minor (I had no other choice, she's my sister).

No, not that I've ever heard of. PAX Closes at 2am though, so there's that.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Nazoshadow wrote: »
    Hi,

No, not that I've ever heard of. PAX Closes at 2am though, so there's that.
    Correct. There is no curfew for certain ages, but the convention center and any outlying panel rooms close at 2am (or earlier for some rooms) for everyone.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I personally know the weapons policy, but my boyfriend, Artyom, seems to be confused and won't listen to me lol. I'm not sure if anyone has seen the Ezio hidden blade bracer you can preorder at GameStop now, but I'm pretty sure the blade part of the object is against policy. I just need a for sure answer from one of you lovely people to either let me know I'm wrong or he's wrong haha. Just want to save him some trouble and time if he decides to go forth with the bracer next year. Thank you!!

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I personally know the weapons policy, but my boyfriend, Artyom, seems to be confused and won't listen to me lol. I'm not sure if anyone has seen the Ezio hidden blade bracer you can preorder at GameStop now, but I'm pretty sure the blade part of the object is against policy. I just need a for sure answer from one of you lovely people to either let me know I'm wrong or he's wrong haha. Just want to save him some trouble and time if he decides to go forth with the bracer next year. Thank you!!
    I don't know the absolute answer, but I know for darn sure it is located in the FAQ of the Cosplay/Costumes thread located here.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    If it's this one, it's made of plastic. Assuming it's not sharp enough to cut someone, it's not in violation of the rules.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited July 2012
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    If it's this one, it's made of plastic. Assuming it's not sharp enough to cut someone, it's not in violation of the rules.

YMMV, but also it shouldn't be pointy enough to pierce someone. I have a few similar looking plastic blade things (not the hidden part just plastic blades) that for some odd reason are fairly pointy on the tip and could likely pierce someone with moderate pressure. Dunno why they bothered to make them so pointy, but that's how it goes I guess. Of course if this blade doesn't actually "lock" that wouldn't be a problem I guess :P

Edit: Uhhh, oops, I have no idea what happened there. I think I only clicked once? But oops. I have to go beat my router now.

tsrblke on
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    5 replies? I am thinking you had the same problem I just had. The forums are mighty slow acting like nothing was clicked and clicked post a few extra times :)

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Oh I do that, and then can't remember how to delete the blinking thing!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    How fast does the Convention Center Parking fill up? Any advice on what time someone should show up to get a parking space? I use a wheelchair and need parking with easy access to the Convention Center.

Binny on
  • Mr.Sci-FiMr.Sci-Fi Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Does anyone know if there's a hologram, chip or other security measure on the 2012 pax prime badge that I should look for in my search for a badge? I know there's some devious people out there and I want to as knowledgeable as possible when dealing with a seller.

Mr.Sci-Fi on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    If you're concerned about buying a secondhand badge and can make the transaction at PAX, any security Enforcer or the Info Booth should be able to check the badge to make sure it is legit.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mentioning security features in advance would only serve to help counterfeiters and I doubt you will find answers to those questions here.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Mr.Sci-FiMr.Sci-Fi Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    Mentioning security features in advance would only serve to help counterfeiters and I doubt you will find answers to those questions here.

Well any good measure wouldn't be easily copied, holograms or a chip of some sort would be impossible to fake in the short time between people getting them in the mail and the event. I was hoping to hear that the badges might have a hologram like most credit/debt cards have.

Mr.Sci-Fi wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »

Well any good measure wouldn't be easily copied, holograms or a chip of some sort would be impossible to fake in the short time between people getting them in the mail and the event. I was hoping to hear that the badges might have a hologram like most credit/debt cards have.

There were security features for East that were not easily reproduceable. I am certain that there will be features for prime. No, we do not know what they are and we likely won't know. The only way to check a badge is to take it to the badge checking desk AT pax. I know what you're asking, but this is the best answer we can give here.

• ctiwolfctiwolf Registered User regular
    YMMV, but also it shouldn't be pointy enough to pierce someone. I have a few similar looking plastic blade things (not the hidden part just plastic blades) that for some odd reason are fairly pointy on the tip and could likely pierce someone with moderate pressure. Dunno why they bothered to make them so pointy, but that's how it goes I guess. Of course if this blade doesn't actually "lock" that wouldn't be a problem I guess

Reply, I don't really know what the big deal is since the item comes out in late October, way past the convention

• evanextremeevanextreme Registered User regular
    I am leaving a week before Prime for Seattle, just curious, how many days/weeks in advance do the badges arrive? I dont want to be stuck half way across the country with no badge.

New Yorker. @evanextreme on Twitter. I do a ton of things on the internet.
    I went to East 11, Prime 12, East 13, and will be attending East 15.
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    I am leaving a week before Prime for Seattle, just curious, how many days/weeks in advance do the badges arrive? I dont want to be stuck half way across the country with no badge.

There is no specific time they go out. On average in the past it seems they start going out a couple weeks before Pax, but people have been known to get them as little as a couple days before Pax. My first year they never came in the mail and I had to pick up replacements at Pax Will Call.

In case they don't get to you before you leave do you have someone that could check your mail and overnight them to you once they do arrive?

IhtGIyi.png
This discussion has been closed.