Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

1272830323336

Posts

  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I think I might be just being paranoid.
    Being paranoid is not always a bad thing. Next time, I would wait until Friday of PAX to do the swap, then the badge check station could verify the badges for you before you finish the deal.

    -Beker/Erick
    mV2y6kv.png
  • Alpha I OmegaAlpha I Omega Button Pusher in local news Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Sort of a dumb questions, but how do y'all feel about chairs in lines? I kind of feel like id look like an ass using a small camping chair, I tore my ACL about 9 weeks ago and cant walk/stand for long periods, so I bought a small camping chair to use for PAX. Just thought id pop in and get everyone's opinion on this, or even if its allowed.

    Alpha I Omega on
    | Xbox Live GT: Alpha I Omega | PAX's Attended: Prime '11, Prime '12, Prime '13, East '13, Prime '14, Prime '15 |
    | Astro Gaming Chat Expert and Community Leader | Bacon Aficionado | Ewok Assassin |
    | Here's my BGG if you're a nerd: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Alpha+I+Omega |
  • dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So I bought two Saturday Passes, one for me, and one for my brother.

    Turns out, my brother REALLY wanted to go to the League of Legends tournament thing on Friday, so I met a dude on Craigslist nearby, and swapped my two Saturday for two Friday passes.

    He had the letter that comes with the envelope and everything, and he looks like a nice enough guy, and his dad was there too, so just by physical appearance, he seems trustworthy. He called me on his phone as well, and everything was good. He even gave me time to compare my passes with his.

    However, I'm VERY SLIGHTLY unsure if the Friday passes are possibly fake. They look literally 100% legit, the hologram, the wording, everything.

    The ONLY thing that seemed fishy to me was the weight of the Friday passes. The plastic feels and bends the exact same, the semi-flexible plastic. However, my Saturday passes seemed slightly heavier, and the Friday passes seems slightly lighter.

    Is the weight of the Friday pass just inherently lighter than the weight of Saturday passes? Does anyone have both of them to do a comparison?

    I really really hope I didn't trade my real passes for fake ones. They seem indistinguishable completely, all except for the weight of the pass, which seems very negligibly different.

    grab a [redacted] its a real pass.

    Moe Fwacky on
    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I don't think chairs are allowed, because of the fire hazard, but I think that they recommend that you should bring a seat cushion to sit on while in line.

    Also, there is a huge FAQ thread that questions like this belong in.

    forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/158796/pax-prime-2012-information-and-faq-read-this-first-then-ask-all-questions-here

    RavenHusky on
    ZZLykT9.png
    2019 Checklist:
    Badges []
    Costume []
    Room Share []
    Patience [Non-existent since 2012]

  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So I bought two Saturday Passes, one for me, and one for my brother.

    Turns out, my brother REALLY wanted to go to the League of Legends tournament thing on Friday, so I met a dude on Craigslist nearby, and swapped my two Saturday for two Friday passes.

    He had the letter that comes with the envelope and everything, and he looks like a nice enough guy, and his dad was there too, so just by physical appearance, he seems trustworthy. He called me on his phone as well, and everything was good. He even gave me time to compare my passes with his.

    However, I'm VERY SLIGHTLY unsure if the Friday passes are possibly fake. They look literally 100% legit, the hologram, the wording, everything.

    The ONLY thing that seemed fishy to me was the weight of the Friday passes. The plastic feels and bends the exact same, the semi-flexible plastic. However, my Saturday passes seemed slightly heavier, and the Friday passes seems slightly lighter.

    Is the weight of the Friday pass just inherently lighter than the weight of Saturday passes? Does anyone have both of them to do a comparison?

    I really really hope I didn't trade my real passes for fake ones. They seem indistinguishable completely, all except for the weight of the pass, which seems very negligibly different.

    grab a [redacted] its a real pass.

    Sorry about that and props on super fast moding

    sanovah on
  • Alpha I OmegaAlpha I Omega Button Pusher in local news Registered User regular
    Good to know, if any mods wants, feel free to move. Also the chair is all metal, if it matters.

    | Xbox Live GT: Alpha I Omega | PAX's Attended: Prime '11, Prime '12, Prime '13, East '13, Prime '14, Prime '15 |
    | Astro Gaming Chat Expert and Community Leader | Bacon Aficionado | Ewok Assassin |
    | Here's my BGG if you're a nerd: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Alpha+I+Omega |
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    Hey guys, could you not post the security features of the badges on the forums here. It kind of negates the purpose behind having security features by posting them here. Thanks.

    E6LkoFK.png

    dyaballikl
  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Does anyome know the average age requirement for industry parties? I really wanna go to the GW2, MTG, and assumedly the Trion and LoL ones if they actually end up throwing ones

    Edit: If anyone knows the age requirements for these parties I am twenty

    sanovah on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    Some are 21+, some are 18+ and some have no age requirements. If you want to know for sure, you need to contact the company throwing the party, as they are the only ones who would know ahead of time.

    E6LkoFK.png

  • RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    Good to know, if any mods wants, feel free to move. Also the chair is all metal, if it matters.

    Also, those folding chairs can also be a pain to drag around everywhere, so it probably is not worth it to bring it.

    ZZLykT9.png
    2019 Checklist:
    Badges []
    Costume []
    Room Share []
    Patience [Non-existent since 2012]

  • AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    RavenHusky wrote: »
    Good to know, if any mods wants, feel free to move. Also the chair is all metal, if it matters.

    Also, those folding chairs can also be a pain to drag around everywhere, so it probably is not worth it to bring it.

    Where a folding chair is of concern as far as being a fire hazard goes, is not so much based on the material of the chair (canvas/metal/wood).

    If you put any chair into a line space, in the event of an emergency it becomes an obstacle and tripping hazard that can result in an injury or worse for people trying to get past/over/around it during an evacuation.

    If you have a medical injury that prevents you from standing in lines or in any way restricts your mobility, what you want is a Medical Pass. Email [email protected] to request one or visit the Info Booth at PAX.

    As an added bonus, you don't have to risk making your injury worse by lugging a chair around all day.

    AbsintheMinded on
  • capnsanitycapnsanity Professional Awesomer Registered User regular
    So this will be my first year actually going to PAX Prime and i read that the main theater is at the paramount, I also use a wheelchair to get around so i'll probably not be going over there but i saw that there is apparently some place where you can watch whatever is going on in said main theater? is that inside the actual convention center? sounds like something awesome i'd take advantage of

  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    capnsanity wrote: »
    So this will be my first year actually going to PAX Prime and i read that the main theater is at the paramount, I also use a wheelchair to get around so i'll probably not be going over there but i saw that there is apparently some place where you can watch whatever is going on in said main theater? is that inside the actual convention center? sounds like something awesome i'd take advantage of

    Wolfman Theatre is on the 6th floor of the convention center and will be livestreaming some of the Main Theatre events. We'll have the concerts each night, and some of the larger panels, too. But not everything, we've got our own panels to show. :)

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • capnsanitycapnsanity Professional Awesomer Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    capnsanity wrote: »
    So this will be my first year actually going to PAX Prime and i read that the main theater is at the paramount, I also use a wheelchair to get around so i'll probably not be going over there but i saw that there is apparently some place where you can watch whatever is going on in said main theater? is that inside the actual convention center? sounds like something awesome i'd take advantage of

    Wolfman Theatre is on the 6th floor of the convention center and will be livestreaming some of the Main Theatre events. We'll have the concerts each night, and some of the larger panels, too. But not everything, we've got our own panels to show. :)
    Very cool! Thanks for the quick response! I'm so friggen excited

  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    capnsanity wrote: »
    So this will be my first year actually going to PAX Prime and i read that the main theater is at the paramount, I also use a wheelchair to get around so i'll probably not be going over there but i saw that there is apparently some place where you can watch whatever is going on in said main theater? is that inside the actual convention center? sounds like something awesome i'd take advantage of
    Sort of a dumb questions, but how do y'all feel about chairs in lines? I kind of feel like id look like an ass using a small camping chair, I tore my ACL about 9 weeks ago and cant walk/stand for long periods, so I bought a small camping chair to use for PAX. Just thought id pop in and get everyone's opinion on this, or even if its allowed.
    To @capnsanity and @Alpha I Omega, I would recommend visiting the registration desk in the Hyatt or the Info Booth on the 4th floor of the convention center to ask about a medical pass.

    @capnsanity See: Wolfman Theatre. Inquire onsite to determine which panels will be simulcast.
    WSCC_06.png

    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    deflatermau5
  • Alpha I OmegaAlpha I Omega Button Pusher in local news Registered User regular
    Awesome, i shot you and the [email protected] an email regarding getting one, I appreciate you pointing this out to me as this will be very very useful.

    | Xbox Live GT: Alpha I Omega | PAX's Attended: Prime '11, Prime '12, Prime '13, East '13, Prime '14, Prime '15 |
    | Astro Gaming Chat Expert and Community Leader | Bacon Aficionado | Ewok Assassin |
    | Here's my BGG if you're a nerd: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Alpha+I+Omega |
  • thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    Okay 1st time at Pax...if I want to sign up and be in the Small World Tournament that is happening Friday at 11am I assume I want to head over to the Red Lion at 10 am and sign up so I make sure I get a spot. Is this pretty much going to make it impossible for me to get a swag bag? As I understand it I need ot go line up in the queue room early on Friday morning to get one...right?

    badge.png
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Okay 1st time at Pax...if I want to sign up and be in the Small World Tournament that is happening Friday at 11am I assume I want to head over to the Red Lion at 10 am and sign up so I make sure I get a spot. Is this pretty much going to make it impossible for me to get a swag bag? As I understand it I need ot go line up in the queue room early on Friday morning to get one...right?

    According to the maps, swag bags won't be handed out until 11:30am this year.

  • thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    Okay 1st time at Pax...if I want to sign up and be in the Small World Tournament that is happening Friday at 11am I assume I want to head over to the Red Lion at 10 am and sign up so I make sure I get a spot. Is this pretty much going to make it impossible for me to get a swag bag? As I understand it I need ot go line up in the queue room early on Friday morning to get one...right?

    According to the maps, swag bags won't be handed out until 11:30am this year.

    Of course right after the tournament starts....le sigh. Guess I'll just have to grab one on Saturday.

    thedragongem on
    badge.png
  • capnsanitycapnsanity Professional Awesomer Registered User regular
    What are these swag bags you speak of...Where must i go to get one...?

  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    capnsanity wrote: »
    What are these swag bags you speak of...Where must i go to get one...?

    The swag bags are the promo bags that have the Pax program, various items like Magic cards and LOL codes, and a bunch of ads. You go to the Que room at 11:30am each day.
    One per person.

    sanovah
  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    capnsanity wrote: »
    What are these swag bags you speak of...Where must i go to get one...?

    The swag bags are the promo bags that have the Pax program, various items like Magic cards and LOL codes, and a bunch of ads. You go to the Que room at 11:30am each day.
    One per person.

    You sure its at 11:30? That makes no sense. Why would they make everyone who waited in the queue room line to get into the expo hall first thing get in line an hour and a half later to get a bag?

  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Sorry for the double but I'm on my phone

    Since its not an "official" made by PA app can we get word on if the 11:30am handout time of swagbags is correct or a typo. If it isn't is there any reason why bags get handed out an hour and a half after the doors open

  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    I think I might be just being paranoid.

    Probably.

    Glad you think so. I was about to start giggling hysterically because the badges are not exactly heavy...

    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    Sorry for the double but I'm on my phone

    Since its not an "official" made by PA app can we get word on if the 11:30am handout time of swagbags is correct or a typo. If it isn't is there any reason why bags get handed out an hour and a half after the doors open

    Its the official map. Assume its data is accurate.

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    capnsanity wrote: »
    What are these swag bags you speak of...Where must i go to get one...?

    The swag bags are the promo bags that have the Pax program, various items like Magic cards and LOL codes, and a bunch of ads. You go to the Que room at 11:30am each day.
    One per person.

    You sure its at 11:30? That makes no sense. Why would they make everyone who waited in the queue room line to get into the expo hall first thing get in line an hour and a half later to get a bag?

    Just a shot in the dark, but it'd diffuse the Chaos in the Queue Room by breaking up the push towards it.
    Also, it means people don't have to choose between swag bags and morning panels. (Again total shot in the dark.)

  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Registered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »
    sanovah wrote: »
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    capnsanity wrote: »
    What are these swag bags you speak of...Where must i go to get one...?

    The swag bags are the promo bags that have the Pax program, various items like Magic cards and LOL codes, and a bunch of ads. You go to the Que room at 11:30am each day.
    One per person.

    You sure its at 11:30? That makes no sense. Why would they make everyone who waited in the queue room line to get into the expo hall first thing get in line an hour and a half later to get a bag?

    Just a shot in the dark, but it'd diffuse the Chaos in the Queue Room by breaking up the push towards it.
    Also, it means people don't have to choose between swag bags and morning panels. (Again total shot in the dark.)
    These are good reasons. Eventually, sometime before the show, there will be a news post on the PA main page about it in detail. I can confirm that the 11:30am swag start time is correct.

    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • poodpood Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm attending my first pax this year and i don't want to miss any of the big events, what twitter/sm accounts should I be following to get up to date info?

    pood on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    pood wrote: »
    I'm attending my first pax this year and i don't want to miss any of the big events, what twitter/sm accounts should I be following to get up to date info?
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/159044/prime-twitter-at-pax-prime-2012-the-twitter-growing-louder-sunrise/p1

  • poodpood Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    pood wrote: »
    I'm attending my first pax this year and i don't want to miss any of the big events, what twitter/sm accounts should I be following to get up to date info?
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/159044/prime-twitter-at-pax-prime-2012-the-twitter-growing-louder-sunrise/p1

    sweet. thanks.

  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Smart Phones/Tablets/Netbooks

    First question: In past years, I know 3G signal has been spotty, slow, and saturated. Is 4G much better?

    Second question: I see Clear is having a pretty steep sale. The cost of the hotspot is inconsequential, but does anyone have experience with their "daily" plans?

    6YJGH2V.png
  • Stranger DangerStranger Danger Registered User regular
    Anyone have any idea how to get in contact with the PAX people? My roommate received his tickets early last week but I did not. I sent a email to [email protected] and the registration e-mail address last week but have received no reply. Is there a phone number or something I can call?

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Anyone have any idea how to get in contact with the PAX people? My roommate received his tickets early last week but I did not. I sent a email to [email protected] and the registration e-mail address last week but have received no reply. Is there a phone number or something I can call?

    try another email.

  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Wasn't really sure where to post this since it's part app, parties, and community. So I'll just ask here. Anyone know of a good app similar to guidebook for parties and other not directly PAX events? At this point in time i'm trying to go to five events and who knows how many more between now and next Friday. So far i'm just using, memo and calender, but I have to imagine there's something else better oout there

  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Doesn't Guidebook allow you to add your own events to your calendar?

    Edit: Guess I'm mistaken for a different PAX app.

    GeeCee on
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Guidebook can add todo list items, but I haven't found how to add schedule items.

    6YJGH2V.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I just add other events to my google calendar.

    Moe Fwacky
  • Xtian80Xtian80 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm wondering what time people are planning on getting to the convention center to start lining up? Part of the fun every year is meeting people and playing games in the line early in the morning before the con opens, so...what time will you be getting there?? And does anyone know what time the line will officially start lining up, as in, let into the queue room?

    Xtian80 on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Xtian80 wrote: »
    I'm wondering what time people are planning on getting to the convention center to start lining up? Part of the fun every year is meeting people and playing games in the line early in the morning before the con opens, so...what time will you be getting there?? And does anyone know what time the line will officially start lining up, as in, let into the queue room?

    I think this has been answered a few times in a variety of threads, but the line is let into the Queue room at 0800.

  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Xtian80 wrote: »
    I'm wondering what time people are planning on getting to the convention center to start lining up? Part of the fun every year is meeting people and playing games in the line early in the morning before the con opens, so...what time will you be getting there?? And does anyone know what time the line will officially start lining up, as in, let into the queue room?

    They start to let you in at 8:00am, but you can line up well before that. They have an area outside set up to handle the group that lines up crazy early. I think I got there around 6 or 7 last year.
    I recommend everybody get in line that early at least once in their Pax experience, its a lot of fun playing games and meeting people.

This discussion has been closed.