Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

13031323436

Posts

  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Or just put it in your checked bag. Based on what fenris said and what I've been able to find is that you can take most anything in your checked bag. The only thing I haven't been able find an answer on is shaving cream in an can.

  • helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »
    kemikal wrote: »
    helen0rz wrote: »
    question: I'm doing carry on, would they allow razors? Also I have this face wash that's not within the 3oz requirement (more like 5oz I think) but 2/3 of it is already gone/used, are they going to chunk it at security check?

    I'm not sure about the razors, but my mom had to throw away her 6oz container of lotion that was only maybe 1/4 or 1/5 full. Something about the size of the container being all that matters, and not how much was inside.

    Disposable Razors (i.e. Bics, Gillette, etc.) are supposed to be ok to take through, but you know how inconsistent the TSA is so YMMV depending on what agent you get. (Source on the allowance: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4)

    You're hosed on the lotion, you may want to run to target and get a 3 oz travel containor to put it in (they sell those now for shampoo and the like.)

    Awesome! Thank you!



    48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    riskman wrote: »
    I have badges for Sunday only that I need to pick up at the Hyatt. Does anyone know how early I can pick up the badges on Sunday morning? Thanks!

    Reg should be open starting at 8AM on PAX days.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • riskmanriskman Registered User
    whypick1 wrote: »
    riskman wrote: »
    I have badges for Sunday only that I need to pick up at the Hyatt. Does anyone know how early I can pick up the badges on Sunday morning? Thanks!

    Reg should be open starting at 8AM on PAX days.

    Cheers, my friend. Thanks for the information.

  • lbizzlbizz Registered User
    First time Prime attender, I see a lot of suggestions to bring snacks and water since there will be lots of standing in line and waiting, etc. This might be a dumb question, considering what I just said, but I can bring that in a backpack, right? I assume it will be searched upon entering the convention center but I'll get to bring in outside water and food to the venue? Does it matter if it's in a backpack or tote? Thanks in advance!

  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    lbizz wrote: »
    First time Prime attender, I see a lot of suggestions to bring snacks and water since there will be lots of standing in line and waiting, etc. This might be a dumb question, considering what I just said, but I can bring that in a backpack, right? I assume it will be searched upon entering the convention center but I'll get to bring in outside water and food to the venue? Does it matter if it's in a backpack or tote? Thanks in advance!

    I had absolutely no problem bringing in outside food and water last year. Standard "backpack in crowded area" cautions apply (be careful turning, know you may get bumped, etc.)

  • crimnoirecrimnoire Registered User new member
    Hi everyone! Does anyone happen to know if ArenaNet will be present at PAX this year?
    I haven't seen or heard anything (I've tried really hard to find info), but maybe I've missed it. Thanks in advance!

  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    crimnoire wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Does anyone happen to know if ArenaNet will be present at PAX this year?
    I haven't seen or heard anything (I've tried really hard to find info), but maybe I've missed it. Thanks in advance!

    They're not going to have a both or any official PAX presence due to the launch of GW2. They were going to throw a party celebrating the launch of GW2 on Saturday, but to date with only a couple.days before PAX there has been no news on this so at this point it's safe to assume endure"they're not even doing the party anymore either. So yeah at this point don't expect to see anything having to do with arenanet. They've had such a rocky headstart it's doubtful we'll even see them waking around downtown.

    sanovah on
  • shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    crimnoire wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Does anyone happen to know if ArenaNet will be present at PAX this year?
    I haven't seen or heard anything (I've tried really hard to find info), but maybe I've missed it. Thanks in advance!

    They're not going to have a both or any official PAX presence due to the launch of GW2. They were going to throw a party celebrating the launch of GW2 on Saturday, but to date with only a couple.days before PAX there has been no news on this so at this point it's safe

    ironically they posted the details of the party to facebook at around the same time as your post :)
    facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151092982409209&set=a.135044094208.103264.114036714208&type=1

  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    crimnoire wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Does anyone happen to know if ArenaNet will be present at PAX this year?
    I haven't seen or heard anything (I've tried really hard to find info), but maybe I've missed it. Thanks in advance!

    They're not going to have a both or any official PAX presence due to the launch of GW2. They were going to throw a party celebrating the launch of GW2 on Saturday, but to date with only a couple.days before PAX there has been no news on this so at this point it's safe

    ironically they posted the details of the party to facebook at around the same time as your post :)
    facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151092982409209&set=a.135044094208.103264.114036714208&type=1

    Haha that's funny. Might try and go then if I'm old enough. Anyone know is the ultra pink lunge is 21+ or 18+?

  • dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    so no announcement on what the PAX special item is being sold this year. anyone know?

    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    so no announcement on what the PAX special item is being sold this year. anyone know?

    @Official_PAX on twitter said 3 special T-shirts this year!

  • dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »
    so no announcement on what the PAX special item is being sold this year. anyone know?

    @Official_PAX on twitter said 3 special T-shirts this year!

    ohhhh i thought that was just for the shirts and there was still a special item lol. thanks

    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • charamathcharamath Registered User
    Hi- I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with their badges arriving and what happened to resolve it. My own 3-day pass has been lost in the mail, and despite the fact I have a confirmation # and everything, it sounds like the email back from PAX questions is telling me that I am SOL if it doesn't appear in the mail before the weekend. I'm really hoping that's not the case.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2012
    charamath wrote: »
    Hi- I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with their badges arriving and what happened to resolve it. My own 3-day pass has been lost in the mail, and despite the fact I have a confirmation # and everything, it sounds like the email back from PAX questions is telling me that I am SOL if it doesn't appear in the mail before the weekend. I'm really hoping that's not the case.

    There's some folks with that issue in this thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/164656/prime-passes-are-arriving

    There has not as of yet been any official response. Keep hounding them. This isn't any sort of customer service forum, so all we can do is point you to the official channels.

    zerzhul on
    charamath
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Registered User regular
    Marino wrote: »
    As far as I know, there is no bag/coat/goat check. If you do BYOC, your items will be secured there. Or your room. If you are checking out on Sunday but still want to roam the convention, you could ask your hotel's bell service to hold your luggage until you get back.

    It says there will be one on the FAQ.
    http://prime.paxsite.com/faq#is-there-somewhere-for-me-to-drop-my-coat-bag-off
    The FAQ was wrong. There is no coat check at PAX Prime. The FAQ has been updated by the Organizers.

    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Registered User regular
    Senics wrote: »

    Thanks for the reply! I was just in the Hyatt to check with the front desk, and they said it would start on Thursday at 7AM.


    I was going to ask that because I'm planning my day in Seattle.
    That is when the Registration team gets the room. I'm sure the public will not be allowed in that early. I don't know what time Thursday Registration will actually start. Definitely not before 8am. I'll try to find out the actual time and post again.
    Thursday Registration will open at 9am. This is official word I obtained from an Organizer; it'll probably also be tweeted on Official_PAX.

    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    How does the tabletop lending library work for the free play area? I want to provide games for people to borrow and play in the free play area. Is it secure? Do they have to leave their ID or something? Can I drop them off at the start of the expo and have a reasonable expectation of collecting them back at the end?
    You actually can't just drop games off at the lending library. The lending library is managed by the Tabletop Freeplay Enforcer team. I'm pretty sure to provide them with games, you would have had to be in contact with them earlier than now.

    As far as how the TT Library works, you drop off ID in order to borrow a game.
    Attendees cannot bring games to give to the Library to loan out, but you can still bring your games and play them in the TT Freeplay areas (and loan them to new and old PAX Attendee friends). We want everyone to have a good time playing games regardless of the source of the games being played.

    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Someone asked about phones. I've brought an unlocked UK phone (HTC desire) and bought an AT&T prepay sim with 1gb data for $25. That's less than half what I pay at home for 500mb :(:)

    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

    For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

    "The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • bushmaster2000bushmaster2000 Registered User
    edited August 2012
    I've never been to PAX and i'm a little confused if I can bring my laptop with me for passing the time in line or not. I know there were bring your own computer passes but they were sold out faster than the admission passes so I didn't get one and I wasn't sure what they were for anyways. So i just need to know if I can bring my laptop with me and if not, what about tablets?

    Thank You

    bushmaster2000 on
  • degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum Registered User regular
    You should be asking that question HERE.

  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Yes, you can bring a laptop with you. I'd suggest you talk to other people in lines instead, that's part of the PAX experience.

    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    The FAQ was wrong. There is no coat check at PAX Prime. The FAQ has been updated by the Organizers.

    Since it looks like they simply removed that question from the PAXSite FAQ, perhaps we should add that to the op since its a change in what was published earlier.

    -Beker/Erick
    gQPRxvs.png
    jaberwockynmt
  • matguymatguy Registered User regular
    I've never been to PAX and i'm a little confused if I can bring my laptop with me for passing the time in line or not. I know there were bring your own computer passes but they were sold out faster than the admission passes so I didn't get one and I wasn't sure what they were for anyways. So i just need to know if I can bring my laptop with me and if not, what about tablets?

    Thank You

    I think it was covered earlier in the thread, but there's nothing stopping you from bringing your laptop. Keep in mind, that it's a crowded convention with a lot of walking, so carrying it around may be cumbersome. Don't expect much for WiFi, free or paid, being crowded with thousands of people, many technical, the airwaves are a bit congested; that goes for cell type internet services as well.

    Tablets should be fine as well, although the same Wireless network statements apply.

    Feel free to try, just don't expect to depend on it.

  • grifta67grifta67 SF, CARegistered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Main Theatre lines can be grueling, especially since they're outdoors. I support sending a runner, but we can't support the first person getting in line, then holding a spot while the rest do something else. Wheaton's law is very much enforced!

    Oh absolutely, I'm a devout follower of Wheaton's Law. Any line spot holding would be strictly for a food and drink run!

    PAX is this week!! ::kermit flail::

    -Sean

    Prime '09, '10, '11, '12, '13
  • SHiZZAMSHiZZAM Registered User regular
    So put in 2 orders for a 3 day pass and BYOC back when tickets went on sale. I've received both 3 day passes, but only 1 BYOC badge in the mail. I've tried contacting [email protected], [email protected], and Johnny (Snax) and haven't heard anything back yet from anyone. I realize that both are probably busy with a high volume of requests/e-mails, but with only a few days left until PAX I'd like to at least know that someone is looking into it for me!

    Any ideas?

  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Registered User regular
    helen0rz wrote: »
    tsrblke wrote: »
    kemikal wrote: »
    helen0rz wrote: »
    question: I'm doing carry on, would they allow razors? Also I have this face wash that's not within the 3oz requirement (more like 5oz I think) but 2/3 of it is already gone/used, are they going to chunk it at security check?

    I'm not sure about the razors, but my mom had to throw away her 6oz container of lotion that was only maybe 1/4 or 1/5 full. Something about the size of the container being all that matters, and not how much was inside.

    Disposable Razors (i.e. Bics, Gillette, etc.) are supposed to be ok to take through, but you know how inconsistent the TSA is so YMMV depending on what agent you get. (Source on the allowance: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4)

    You're hosed on the lotion, you may want to run to target and get a 3 oz travel containor to put it in (they sell those now for shampoo and the like.)

    Awesome! Thank you!



    I agree when it comes to the agent. Unless you must have it on the plane for some reason, I would put it in your checked luggage. As for the face wash, it doesn't matter how much is gone it depends on the size of the container. I usually put all my shampoos/face wash basically anything that could leak into plastic bags so I don't have to worry about it getting over all my clothes.

    Sorry for the slow response time, we have started our holiday all ready, so I have little access to a computer.

    PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Registered User regular
    SHiZZAM wrote: »
    So put in 2 orders for a 3 day pass and BYOC back when tickets went on sale. I've received both 3 day passes, but only 1 BYOC badge in the mail. I've tried contacting [email protected], [email protected], and Johnny (Snax) and haven't heard anything back yet from anyone. I realize that both are probably busy with a high volume of requests/e-mails, but with only a few days left until PAX I'd like to at least know that someone is looking into it for me!

    Any ideas?

    I would suggest sending a message to BigRed on the forums. I think he is the one running the BYOC (First time PAXer here so I may be wrong on that). Beyond that, keep doing what you are doing.

    PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • JohnnyWasabiJohnnyWasabi Technical Director, inXile entertainment Tustin, CARegistered User
    zerzhul wrote: »
    You actually can't just drop games off at the lending library. The lending library is managed by the Tabletop Freeplay Enforcer team. I'm pretty sure to provide them with games, you would have had to be in contact with them earlier than now.

    As far as how the TT Library works, you drop off ID in order to borrow a game.

    Thank you Zerzhul for the info and for directing me. I was able to get in touch with the tabletop enforcer team and they have kindly agreed to accept the games into the PAX library and offsite library at the Red Lion, and we've made arrangements for delivery.

    BTW the game is "Barca-The Watering Hold Game". It's a two player strategy game with a really nifty game dynamic between the pieces that's like rock-paper-scissors. I hope you get a chance to try it some time (or you can try a computer version against AI at PlayBrca.com).

    Thanks again!

  • KelaosKelaos Registered User regular
    GeeCee wrote: »
    Kelaos wrote: »
    Canadian here and I have a question about travel (which I really should've asked earlier)

    Anyone have experience with getting a SIM or anything like that for the convention? I just want voice/text as I plan on turning mobile data off on my Android

    Thanks and can't wait to be there and hopefully meet some people :)

    If your phone is unlocked and can connect to their network, I'd recommend T-Mobile's prepaid plans: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-by-the-day-cell-phone-plans

    The $2 a day plan will connect to their older slow EDGE network, which should allow you access to Twitter or whatever other low bandwidth things. I stop by a T-Mobile dealer on my way down to Seattle from Vancouver and get setup there. It's pretty easy.

    Thank you very much! I'll be looking into that when I head down there tomorrow then!

  • KelaosKelaos Registered User regular
    NotSid wrote: »
    One more question for now, will vendors at PAX be mostly just accepting cash or will there be debit machines set up as well? I'm guessing cash only for most of them, but I've never been to a convention so I don't really know! :P

    In my experience, you're going to want to get cash. American cash. Most vendors have debit machines, but for whatever reason my Canadian debit card never seemed to work in them. I wouldn't recommend carrying around too much of your cash either, for obvious reasons. It works in ATMs, I usually just bite the bullet and pay the charge for using the debit machine once or twice throughout the weekend.

    My credit card worked at most of the vendors. If you've got one, its the easiest option by far.

    One issue I've heard is 4-digit vs 6-digit PINs, where 6-digit doesn't work some places

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Fenrisfang wrote: »
    SHiZZAM wrote: »
    So put in 2 orders for a 3 day pass and BYOC back when tickets went on sale. I've received both 3 day passes, but only 1 BYOC badge in the mail. I've tried contacting [email protected], [email protected], and Johnny (Snax) and haven't heard anything back yet from anyone. I realize that both are probably busy with a high volume of requests/e-mails, but with only a few days left until PAX I'd like to at least know that someone is looking into it for me!

    Any ideas?

    I would suggest sending a message to BigRed on the forums. I think he is the one running the BYOC (First time PAXer here so I may be wrong on that). Beyond that, keep doing what you are doing.

    I would email [email protected] again and bring your printed confirmation with you. If they dont get back to you then go to registration (on thursday if possible) and explain the situation to them.

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • SHiZZAMSHiZZAM Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    Fenrisfang wrote: »
    SHiZZAM wrote: »
    So put in 2 orders for a 3 day pass and BYOC back when tickets went on sale. I've received both 3 day passes, but only 1 BYOC badge in the mail. I've tried contacting [email protected], [email protected], and Johnny (Snax) and haven't heard anything back yet from anyone. I realize that both are probably busy with a high volume of requests/e-mails, but with only a few days left until PAX I'd like to at least know that someone is looking into it for me!

    Any ideas?

    I would suggest sending a message to BigRed on the forums. I think he is the one running the BYOC (First time PAXer here so I may be wrong on that). Beyond that, keep doing what you are doing.

    I would email [email protected] again and bring your printed confirmation with you. If they dont get back to you then go to registration (on thursday if possible) and explain the situation to them.

    Done and done. I'll print out all my confirmation stuff and bring it down with me too.

  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Is debit not common in the states?

    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Is debit not common in the states?
    It is, but most banks offer "Debit Check Cards" which has the major credit card logos on it (Visa, MasterCard, Discover)

    There are some banks that do strictly debit cards, but it would need to have a logo on it that is acceptable at most ATMs.

    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • KoZhanKoZhan Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Hey guys, just a quick question if any one could help me out.
    I will be arriving at the convention center at around 7:30 am to get to our hotel rooms and such.
    Since I will have people arriving at various times before the convention center open, I will need to run around and give them all the hotel keys.
    Is there a policy about holding a spot in line?

    lets say 5 of my friends get in line at around 8, would it be a jerk move to go in and hop in line with them with 4 more at like 9:30?

    KoZhan on
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    If you have to ask, maybe you already hav e a gut feeling...

    My gut feeling is if it's just one person that's cool. Four? Maybe not so much. Plus, they really REALLY cram you in tightly in line. It's a little crazy.

    ufq9gj8383nh.png

    jaberwockynmt
  • skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    Yes. First, you'd have to actually be able to find them. Then, you'd have to nudge your way past hundreds of other people, who were there before you. Finally, since they cram you in like sardines, you would essentially be bumping 4 other people *back*. It is pretty inconsiderate all around.

  • KoZhanKoZhan Registered User regular
    Thanks for the response guys. Ill just tell them all to get in line ASAP :D

  • DuelLadySDuelLadyS Registered User regular
    Firstly- call your hotel and make sure that you can check-in at that time... most hotels don't make you check out until about 11, so check-in doesn't start until 3 pm (after the rooms get a good cleaning.) It's very likely that 7:30 am will just be too early for them to give you a room. They might hold your luggage, though.

    Secondly- no, cutting in line is NOT ok. Aside from being rude, PAX is a lot better than most cons I've been to about counting people and cutting off the line when the room is full. If you and four of your friends jump in, you could very well bump 5 people who've been waiting longer than you (assuming it's a panel and not just the expo hall.)

    What you could do, is get in line, let your friend's text you when they show up, then leave the line temporarily to get your friend their key. If you explain things to the people around you & the enforcers, you should be OK to come back- by yourself- in a couple minutes.

This discussion has been closed.