As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[A Song of Ice and Fire, Books and Books+Show] Touch this thread and all shall be spoilt

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    She's back in the Dothraki sea and probably about to take control of a khalasar.

The fact that the circumstances are otherwise completely different means it's not a reset, tho'. 'scalled a bookend.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Boring7 wrote: »
    Well, she would still have to be RUMORED to exist, so people could waste time worrying about her, but yeah.

The whole dragons bringing magic back thing would have to have happened, also.

She's also, you know, gonna play a major part in the second part of the series.

Stuff makes alot more sense when you realise that it's more like 2 linked series. That's why ASOS feels like a huge climax and ties up so many threads and why AFFC and ADWD spend alot of time spinning out new characters and slowly building up plot elements again.

Her story gets effectively reset in ADWD!

As long as she's dicking around in somewhere that ISN'T Westeros, she's not going to matter. Hell, she's only met like two other characters that we have any reason to give a shit about outside of her story. And it took until ADWD for that to happen.

Realistically, I'm certain that she's going to come to Westeros at some point, but for fuck's sake, can it be soon please?

How is her story reset in ADWD?

She's back in the Dothraki sea, about to be taken by a Khalasar. Which she's going to have to take over, again. And then she'll have to marshal her forces and take back her empire that is falling apart without her there, again. I just have nightmares that all the stuff that she's gone through already she's just going to have to do all over again. I just really want her to matter in the struggle for the Iron Throne, which she doesn't, at all.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    Well, she would still have to be RUMORED to exist, so people could waste time worrying about her, but yeah.

Stuff makes alot more sense when you realise that it's more like 2 linked series. That's why ASOS feels like a huge climax and ties up so many threads and why AFFC and ADWD spend alot of time spinning out new characters and slowly building up plot elements again.

As long as she's dicking around in somewhere that ISN'T Westeros, she's not going to matter. Hell, she's only met like two other characters that we have any reason to give a shit about outside of her story. And it took until ADWD for that to happen.

Realistically, I'm certain that she's going to come to Westeros at some point, but for fuck's sake, can it be soon please?

She's back in the Dothraki sea, about to be taken by a Khalasar. Which she's going to have to take over, again. And then she'll have to marshal her forces and take back her empire that is falling apart without her there, again. I just have nightmares that all the stuff that she's gone through already she's just going to have to do all over again. I just really want her to matter in the struggle for the Iron Throne, which she doesn't, at all.

Well, we know that the Iron Fleet is on its way. Apparently in one of GRRM's readings, he read half a Victorian chapter from Winds of Winter. I haven't seen or heard it myself, but my buddy indicated to me that unless something drastic happens, there will be loads of ships ready to take an army + dragons to Westeros. It only took a couple of chapters for the Golden Company to make it from Volantis to the Stormlands, so Dany could be back in Westeros halfway through book 6.

...if GRRM can move the plot along, anyway.

3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It is a reset in general terms, but this time she does have a big dragon to speed the boring up. I assume that's the plan.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Except now she's experienced, has a ton of supporters and a giant fucking dragon. Also, you know, the fallout from all the shit that's already happened. Like, you think her relationship with Dorne is gonna be the same now?

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's kind of ridiculous that it's taken 5 books for her to maybe become relevant at some point in the 6th book to everything else that's been happening. People only watching the show are probably thinking "Ok, she's still getting her bearings but by next season she's totally going to westeros."

Nope, sorry, come back in Season 6 or 7.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    They just need to fill Dany's sections with lots of fighting and boobs. Simple fix.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I would find it a lot easier to give a shit about Dany if her stuff in ADWD hadn't been far and away the most boring page-padding bullshit in the series to date.

• Options

Except now she's experienced, has a ton of supporters and a giant fucking dragon. Also, you know, the fallout from all the shit that's already happened. Like, you think her relationship with Dorne is gonna be the same now?

I think that it will take another entire book at least for her to talk to another human being from Dorne. Also, her ton of supporters are all somewhere else. Right now, she has experience, and a dragon. And that's it.

I'm not claiming that Dany hasn't done anything, far from it. She's done a lot. A lot of stuff that has yet to have any real impact on the greater story. She's been mucking about in her own little world doing her own little thing. It's all fine and dandy, but at this point I kind of wish that she had her own book series where she could just go nuts and I wouldn't have to break up my interesting story of the goings on in Westeros with "and over here in another land far away from everything..."

I don't hate the character, I just wish it didn't feel like there were two totally separate stories going on. Because I think that it detracts from both of them. For that matter, I'm not very happy with Arya being off in la la land as well. It's awesome that she's becoming a ninja, and I look forward to her ninjaing all over people, but could we hurry it up?

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    ITT: Impatience, who would'a thunk it. :lol:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ITT: Impatience, who would'a thunk it. :lol:

Well, to be fair, in a 7 book series, you would expect that by the 5th book you wouldn't still be juggling two entirely separate stories with seemingly nothing on the horizon to tie them together. If by the second book, you're expecting everything to be tied together then you're just being impatient. Maybe by the end of book 6 Dany will be in Westeros, and I hope she is.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There are two problems with the whole "hurry up, Dany" thing.

One: each book is roughly a year. So speeding up Dany's development means we have a situation where Dany gains the confidence of a city of strangers (or is ousted for daring to try) in a handful of months. Not exactly showing a good-faith attempt to be a good ruler. She lets herself be compromised, fails to listen to sound (if disturbing) advice, and eventually gives up on the city. This is shown in detail, and makes for (imho) an interesting story.

It also ends with one of her children* fully grown, ready to take control of a very large khalasar. While we could time-skip, as he does for Arianne in AFFC (see: The Princess In The Tower; it starts immediately after The Queenmaker and runs up to the 'present'), it would take a very long time to bring us up to speed on what she's been up to. And there would be fewer moments where she's talking to Selmy or reflecting on prophecy; or receiving Quaithe. Or doing other, interesting, world-building things that aren't pushing the story in the direction people are expecting.

Two: the assumption behind this line of thinking is, "Dany will arrive in Westeros in glory, reclaiming the Iron Throne and driving back the Others in a climatic battle of good against evil". We don't know if that is where this is going. It's the usual pay-off for the "prince in exile, gains powerful friends, and returns home to claim his birthright" story. A gender-swap is not enough to make that story new. This exact thing may happen, of course, but I hope it doesn't.

Of all the contenders for the throne, none but Dany have ever tried to be a ruler for its own sake. Joffrey is king because his mother lied and said he was the son of a king: birthright. Stannis doesn't want to be king, or Azor Ahai Reborn or anything - he just wants people to follow the rules. Renly wants to be a king for ... whatever reason. Thinking his brother unfit and Joffrey illegitimate, maybe. Tommen is "king" in name only, because his brother was king. He doesn't care. Robert didn't want to sit the Throne; it was thrust on him because he was the conqueror with the best bloodline-claim. Robb would have seceded and just left the south to their own devices. (ADWD)
    Aegon is considered by Varys to be the best, because he's been raised humbly and surrounded by smallfolk. The text seems to belie his words, but I suppose we'll see.

I'm far more interested in the story Martin is telling than the story that the fans and readers seem to expect.

*I originally wrote "eldest" child, but it occurred to me that the hatching order is somewhat muddied: The first is definitively the "pale and veined with gold" egg; the second and third are not specified. Other than The third crack was as loud and sharp as the breaking of the world, which suggests the most powerful birth; at least, to me.

Immediately afterward, they are listed in this order:
    The cream-and-gold dragon was suckling at her left breast, the green-and-bronze at the right. Her arms cradled them close. The black-and-scarlet beast was draped across her shoulders, its long sinuous neck coiled under her chin.

This suggests that the cream-and-gold is the eldest, the green-and-bronze the middle child, and black-and-scarlet is the youngest. Which seems interesting to me, but I can't place why.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    It WOULD be awesome if the next book opens with the khalasar killing Dany and taking her dragon/s. It would bring a nice bit of completeness to the reset!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    There are two problems with the whole "hurry up, Dany" thing.

One: each book is roughly a year. So speeding up Dany's development means we have a situation where Dany gains the confidence of a city of strangers (or is ousted for daring to try) in a handful of months. Not exactly showing a good-faith attempt to be a good ruler. She lets herself be compromised, fails to listen to sound (if disturbing) advice, and eventually gives up on the city. This is shown in detail, and makes for (imho) an interesting story.

It also ends with one of her children* fully grown, ready to take control of a very large khalasar. While we could time-skip, as he does for Arianne in AFFC (see: The Princess In The Tower; it starts immediately after The Queenmaker and runs up to the 'present'), it would take a very long time to bring us up to speed on what she's been up to. And there would be fewer moments where she's talking to Selmy or reflecting on prophecy; or receiving Quaithe. Or doing other, interesting, world-building things that aren't pushing the story in the direction people are expecting.

Two: the assumption behind this line of thinking is, "Dany will arrive in Westeros in glory, reclaiming the Iron Throne and driving back the Others in a climatic battle of good against evil". We don't know if that is where this is going. It's the usual pay-off for the "prince in exile, gains powerful friends, and returns home to claim his birthright" story. A gender-swap is not enough to make that story new. This exact thing may happen, of course, but I hope it doesn't.

Of all the contenders for the throne, none but Dany have ever tried to be a ruler for its own sake. Joffrey is king because his mother lied and said he was the son of a king: birthright. Stannis doesn't want to be king, or Azor Ahai Reborn or anything - he just wants people to follow the rules. Renly wants to be a king for ... whatever reason. Thinking his brother unfit and Joffrey illegitimate, maybe. Tommen is "king" in name only, because his brother was king. He doesn't care. Robert didn't want to sit the Throne; it was thrust on him because he was the conqueror with the best bloodline-claim. Robb would have seceded and just left the south to their own devices. (ADWD)
    Aegon is considered by Varys to be the best, because he's been raised humbly and surrounded by smallfolk. The text seems to belie his words, but I suppose we'll see.

I'm far more interested in the story Martin is telling than the story that the fans and readers seem to expect.

*I originally wrote "eldest" child, but it occurred to me that the hatching order is somewhat muddied: The first is definitively the "pale and veined with gold" egg; the second and third are not specified. Other than The third crack was as loud and sharp as the breaking of the world, which suggests the most powerful birth; at least, to me.

Immediately afterward, they are listed in this order:
    The cream-and-gold dragon was suckling at her left breast, the green-and-bronze at the right. Her arms cradled them close. The black-and-scarlet beast was draped across her shoulders, its long sinuous neck coiled under her chin.

This suggests that the cream-and-gold is the eldest, the green-and-bronze the middle child, and black-and-scarlet is the youngest. Which seems interesting to me, but I can't place why.

I don't assume Dany is going to win the Iron Throne. I don't think that it will be in some climactic battle of good v evil either.

I just want her story to be part of the greater story of Westeros. I really do. Right now, it isn't. She spend all of her time in places far away from where nearly every other character is (excepting Arya, and now Tyrion). Her story is interesting in its own right, but it breaks up the story of the struggle for the Iron Throne because every few chapters we have to scoot across the world and talk about something totally unrelated. If the claim is that it's going to be related and I should just wait, I'll say this. After 5 books, I'm tired of waiting. I've waited for 5 books. I thought that it would be in book 2, then maybe book 3. Nope, well, she wasn't in 4, maybe in 5. Instead, everything that she had gained toward the notion that she could go to Westeros (followers, an army) has been taken away and she's almost back to square 1.

I don't hate Dany's story. I just think that so far, it belongs in a different series of books.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Tonight's episode (and book 3):
    Am I wrong, but wasn't the wildfire all Tyrion's idea in the book?

I really don't like the change. In the books Kings Landing survives because of Tyrion. His boom (please don't cut that!). His wildfire. His hill tribes harrying Stannis' army. Yes, "Renly" finishes off the enemy, but I always thought Tyrion saving the city and then being fucked over was a driving force behind his actions at the end of Storm of Swords.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I knew from the end of book one that she wasnt going "home" until the dragons were raised and under control. She also had loose ends to tie up before she went west as well. Something that looks to be taking place at the end of ADWD. It would have been nice for this series to have been a 4 or 5 book and done but its not going to be that way anymore. Lets just hope the fat bastard has notes around somewhere on the end of the books because this is going to be another long one.

On episode tonight I feel that the minor change of the shadow not killing Renly by splitting his gorget in two means they aim to play the Breinne being guilty of killing him a bit more than in the books. I remember it being a small thing in the book that a few characters didnt believe she did it anyway because no one could do that kind of dmg.

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Haven't watched the episode, but in the book Cercei already has wildfire production going, Tyrion kind of takes over and trains the soldiers to use it

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Brienne <3
    So brilliantly cast.

Invisible on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    DVG wrote: »
    Haven't watched the episode, but in the book Cercei already has wildfire production going, Tyrion kind of takes over and trains the soldiers to use it

I'll stand corrected on my poor memory, then, and redirect my rage at the choice of the Ghost of Harrenhal's first 'victim'.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Tomanta wrote: »
    DVG wrote: »

I'll stand corrected on my poor memory, then, and redirect my rage at the choice of the Ghost of Harrenhal's first 'victim'.

Yeah well I guess that means they mean to heavily shorten Arya and the Hounds travels together. Which is sad because the killings in the Inn in the books grew the relationship with the Hound and Arya.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It won't really change much if they just kill some Lannister guardsmen, or maybe just the guard who took her sword. It certainly makes sense from a tv casting perspective, they can hardly put the guy under contract for one scene now and then another scene in like 3 or 4 years. Audiences won't remember who he is by then anyway.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Reading various dropped clues and tidbits from his relationships with people, it really is amazing to me just how bad of a person Robert Baratheon was. Bad brother, bad father, bad husband, bad king, and from the description of how he treated his subordinates during the rebellion; probably a bad general. I presume he was a good captain when leading a battle, but even that's more of an assumption on my part.

I think that he's pretty much only been cited as being good at one thing. Killing folks.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Reading various dropped clues and tidbits from his relationships with people, it really is amazing to me just how bad of a person Robert Baratheon was. Bad brother, bad father, bad husband, bad king, and from the description of how he treated his subordinates during the rebellion; probably a bad general. I presume he was a good captain when leading a battle, but even that's more of an assumption on my part.

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    Sorry, I have to say that without a doubt, Dany's story has been a huge fucking waste of time. Everything in between Drogo's death and the end of Book 5, for Dany, was meaningless.

• Options
    Great episode. Still think they're making Stannis more of a prick than he seemed to be in the books. Renly's death was slightly awkward, dunno why they didn't stick with the throat slash. Dany with the dragon was great but the rest I just watched with amusement, knowing that "sitting here till we die" or whatever she said is exactly what happens.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    EP 5:

No Reeds? Please say they won't cut the crannogmen D:

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    Bran looks like he 35.

• Options
    Also, can't wait to see Tyrion kick Joffreys ass next episode.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    EP 5:

I'm curious about this too. They're already a bit late.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tonight's episode and possibly book 5:
    Did anyone else catch that Jhaqen H'Ghar said that the debts were owed to the Red God? Shouldn't it have been the Many-faced god?

edit: and checking the wiki it appears that it was the red god, guess that makes sense since he was going to burn alive in the cart.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hm, the next two episode titles
    The Old Gods and the New
    A Man Without Honor

are somewhat vague, though I would guess the latter involves
    Jon killing Qhorin?

But then the last three
    The Prince of Winterfell
    Blackwater
    Valar Morghulis

Are exciting.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Exciting and sad...

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    EP 5:

I'm curious about this too. They're already a bit late.

From the horses mouthes:
    David.—and I don’t think anyone else asks viewers to process so many storylines and characters. And also one thing to keep in mind is that there are characters in the second book who don’t appear this season, but are coming in later. It’s just about so many new characters introduced in the second season, so we saved some for the next season. They aren’t being omitted, they’re just being delayed.

Dan: A lot of it is just where does somebody really become central to the story, and we can’t afford to have people waiting around for their story to start.

I'd imagine we see the Reeds, Ramsay and others later in Season 3. They've already changed the dynamic of Renly's death, so I doubt they're above changing other story arcs a bit (The Hound immediately springs to mind).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Pretty sure Cat frees Jaime in a man without honor.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Would you guys just prefer she fly up in the sky and the dragon magically grow ala Eragon movie? Geez.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    It could very well be both situations.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Yar wrote: »
    Sorry, I have to say that without a doubt, Dany's story has been a huge fucking waste of time. Everything in between Drogo's death and the end of Book 5, for Dany, was meaningless.

Agreed. Book 5 was especially egregious but all along its been annoyingly disconnected from the westeros story. Really she needed time to disappear so her dragons could grow and she could learn to rule/become a power of her own. It was funny hearing dany argue against "rotting away at the edge of the world" considering thats exactly what ends up happening.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    All these Westeros sillyness is annoying unattached from the Dany storyline

Especially now that Dany, Tyrion, and Arya are all in Essos.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I don't think Dany's story has been meaningless. However, with it being detached from Westeros, it makes it seem slow as hell compared to the action that goes on across the sea. I feel the same way about Jon's story (even though his are more interesting and more happens). I was extremely pissed when GRRM decided to do the "Oh so close. . ." route with Tyrion meeting Dany and keep the two plotlines further separated.

• Options
    Jorah and Tyrion meeting up was really satisfying, though.