As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[A Song of Ice and Fire, Books and Books+Show] Touch this thread and all shall be spoilt

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who really hopes (if they make seasons out of the 4th and 5th books) that they drastically change the plot? There's no way TV viewers could watch those filmed as they were written...

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    I would expect them to mix books 4 and 5, at the very least, to work through everything chronologically rather than the way they were written.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, they're not going to do one season of mainland Westeros and another season of Essos/the North/whatnot. They'll mix all of the significant events in chronologically, and if they do that, they should be set for a decent enough plotline.

Though I'm intrigued as to how the hell they're going to do
    Cercei's book 4/5 storyline unless Lena Headey gets a nudity clause in her contract. I mean, they could do the "normal" TV nudity thing, but that seems like it would be jarring compared to the show's other depictions of dangly bits.

Dracomicron on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    Every single departure from the books this episode was flatly worse than the original text.

Disappointing.

How so?

Spoilers up through DWD
    Arya's already been discussed, although additionally you lose Chiswyck's utter grossness, and the WTF of Jaqen somehow getting Weese's own dog to maul him.

Brienne killing the guys who come in to check is bad for the same reason as Arya - you lose the payoff to Brienne's storyline in DWD when she kills Shagwell and cries about it. You also lose Loras going bugfuck and cutting down half of Renly's Kingsguard in his grief.

Margery is far too aggressive. This one's not as big a deal, but I kind of liked her just being passed around as the token to secure Highgarden with very little direct action of her own. Sort of the counterpart to Sansa's deconstruction of the princess tropes.

Dagmar Cleftjaw (whose jaw is noticably not cleft) telling Theon to take Winterfell ruins Theon taking it in two different ways - in the original, his decision was motivated by desires both to show how clever and useful he was to the Greyjoys, and to be (effectively) the Stark in Winterfell after everyone there had kind of shat on him. Neither of those work nearly as well if it's Dagmar's idea.

Quaithe talking to Jorah is kind of weird and an unnecessary change. (Quaithe herself looked baller as hell, though, even better than my mental image from the book.)

I agree we've lost a lot here, losing those guys also makes Arya's decision to "waste" her wishes harder to understand. In the books shes being beaten and abused regularly by these assholes and has seen people tortured and killed by them, and heard them boast and brag about the horrific shit they did to people even on the way to Harrenhal.

But in the show she's right next to Tywin day in and day out. Harder to understand her decision not to have him killed.

Is roose going to show up like he did in the books? and weasel soup?

We also lose (SOS SPOILER):
    Arya killing the tickler and repeating his questions back to him.

I like new Margary a LOT though. I don't think she was ever the counterpoint to Sansa in the way you suggest. I think the Tyrells were always active players, Margary included. In fact in general I think the show shows us explicitly a lot of things that were going in the book, but we couldnt see directly since we had no POV characters there. It fills in the blanks on a lot of implicit stuff, which I like.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    But in the show she's right next to Tywin day in and day out. Harder to understand her decision not to have him killed.

Well, right now if Tywin dies Arya's probably just going back into the pigsty and the torturer's understudy gets to practice on her. Anyway, it'll prolly go like in the books - the first death she doesn't really believe he can kill ANYONE yet, so she picks an easy target. Second one she gets angry at a horrible guard and orders his death, realizes she fucked up but can't take it back in time. And then #3 will probably still result in Harrenhal falling to the Boltons.

Since Arya's not going by Weasel, apparently they named the jailer Weasel. So there's definitely still going to still be Weasel soup, just with a slightly different reason for the name.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Your idea of sense or humanity has never matched mine.

...ok. The guy just finished brashly exiling his cousin for saying he was tired and needed a rest, and made it redundantly clear that if he weren't a Lannister, he'd be dead for saying that. Next up, his servant threatens to kill him, and... what exactly? Explain your superior sense of humanity here.

Yar wrote: »

...ok. The guy just finished brashly exiling his cousin for saying he was tired and needed a rest, and made it redundantly clear that if he weren't a Lannister, he'd be dead for saying that. Next up, his servant threatens to kill him, and... what exactly? Explain your superior sense of humanity here.

Honestly, it wasn't a threat. Arya just spoke a universal truth. "Anyone can be killed" is simply true. Yes, it can be viewed as a threat... if you're an insecure pussy. Tywin ain't that.

Tywin abhors weakness, and that's even more apparent in TV Tywin. He respects Robb because he is not weak. He sacked that Lannister cousin because he was complaining about being tired when there was work to do. He likes Arya because she proved smart, capable, and realistic. He hates Tyrion because he is viewed as a weak demon monkey dwarf, even as he understands Tyrion's utility to him.

He's not going to kill Arya for reminding him that anyone can die. He'd rather his lieutennants learned something from her northern mindset.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I honestly thought Tywin took her statement as inspiration, and that's what the pause and his expression are meant to infer. Also why he might have told her to get out so abruptly, because there was planning to do. They were talking about how to be Robb, and failing to do so over and over. In that moment Tywin could have realized that he needn't beat the armies devoted to the Young Wolf's growing legend, he merely needed to kill him and watch them fall apart.

I enjoy this interpretation, because it.means
    Arya inspired her own brother's murder.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I read the scene a couple of different ways.
    1. As a mirror to Sansa's scene in the previous episode when the Lannister's were talking about Robb. I forget the exact line, but the implication was that the true king was Robb and he could win.
    2. I've seen my father die, I've watched commoners chosen at random to die, I've killed and all men must die.
    3. As just a fact, a precursor to the ending scene when she sees her first wish granted.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they're not going to do one season of mainland Westeros and another season of Essos/the North/whatnot. They'll mix all of the significant events in chronologically, and if they do that, they should be set for a decent enough plotline.

Cercei's book 4/5 storyline unless Lena Headey gets a nudity clause in her contract. I mean, they could do the "normal" TV nudity thing, but that seems like it would be jarring compared to the show's other depictions of dangly bits.

She's not
    averse to nudity per se. See also 300. But from what I understand, because of the characters we have as "viewpoints", in the books the only person to see anything is Bran. And when they were filming that scene, she was pregnant, so they used a butt double.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    I read the scene a couple of different ways.
    1. As a mirror to Sansa's scene in the previous episode when the Lannister's were talking about Robb. I forget the exact line, but the implication was that the true king was Robb and he could win.
    2. I've seen my father die, I've watched commoners chosen at random to die, I've killed and all men must die.
    3. As just a fact, a precursor to the ending scene when she sees her first wish granted.

All men must die

valar morghulis

steam_sig.png
    Shadowen wrote: »

She's not
    averse to nudity per se. See also 300. But from what I understand, because of the characters we have as "viewpoints", in the books the only person to see anything is Bran. And when they were filming that scene, she was pregnant, so they used a butt double.

Yeah, I knew about all that.
    We haven't seen any of her bedroom shenanigans with Lancel, though, and that's actually a plot point. I'm operating under the assumption that they had a Naked Lena clause in the contract, they would have applied it by now.

Also, to be fair, the naked bit in ADwD is pretty extreme... her starkers on the street in front of hundreds of people getting shit thrown at her. I would understand any actor or actress who wanted to somehow film around that.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Kana wrote: »

Well, right now if Tywin dies Arya's probably just going back into the pigsty and the torturer's understudy gets to practice on her. Anyway, it'll prolly go like in the books - the first death she doesn't really believe he can kill ANYONE yet, so she picks an easy target. Second one she gets angry at a horrible guard and orders his death, realizes she fucked up but can't take it back in time. And then #3 will probably still result in Harrenhal falling to the Boltons.

Since Arya's not going by Weasel, apparently they named the jailer Weasel. So there's definitely still going to still be Weasel soup, just with a slightly different reason for the name.

It frankly makes no sense for Arya to want Tywin dead, from her point of view he's actually one of the better people without Stark after their name that she has met.

override367 on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Yar wrote: »

Humans often act suboptimally.

I figure I could take a bear.
    edited May 2012

She's not

We haven't seen any of her bedroom shenanigans with Lancel, though, and that's actually a plot point. I'm operating under the assumption that they had a Naked Lena clause in the contract, they would have applied it by now.

Also, to be fair, the naked bit in ADwD is pretty extreme... her starkers on the street in front of hundreds of people getting shit thrown at her. I would understand any actor or actress who wanted to somehow film around that.
    They could film it from behind for the most part, interspersed with some tight shots so as not to reveal more than she's comfortable with. It's not as important that we see her naked as it is that we see the smallfolk seeing her naked.

ArbitraryDescriptor on

She's not

They could film it from behind for the most part, interspersed with some tight shots so as not to reveal more than she's comfortable with. It's not as important that we see her naked as it is that we see the smallfolk seeing her naked.

True.

That said, I should go watch 300 again. :winky:

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    From what I understand, I think it might have been mentioned in an interview during season 1, but she has a non-nude clause since she became a mother.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Myiagros wrote: »
    From what I understand, I think it might have been mentioned in an interview during season 1, but she has a non-nude clause since she became a mother.

so I guess we dont get that myrish swamp scene huh

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    I can just see them altering things a lot come book 4/5, for the better. Things George R. R. Martin should have left out anyway. For example:
    1. Dany going around in Meereen and stuff has to go. Hopefully they bring her to Westeros earlier.
    2. Cut out Quentyn's story
    3. Cut out Jon Connington, etc.
    4. Cut out most of the Greyjoys
    5. Cut out the whole Dorne/Martell with Myrcella entirely
    I really just don't see these people working as characters after being introduced so late

Streamline the story into what it SHOULD have been, if Martin had maintained his brilliant writing from 1-3 in 4 and 5.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »
    I can just see them altering things a lot come book 4/5, for the better. Things George R. R. Martin should have left out anyway. For example:
    1. Dany going around in Meereen and stuff has to go. Hopefully they bring her to Westeros earlier.
    I really just don't see these people working as characters after being introduced so late

Streamline the story into what it SHOULD have been, if Martin had maintained his brilliant writing from 1-3 in 4 and 5.

All of that is stupid. You basically want the show to eliminate the entirety of Dany's storyline and some very significant, big things that matter for the overall arc. Some stuff will have to be cut from AFFC and ADWD in whichever season they inhabit, but pretty much everything you've listed is pretty important to the story.

Moreover, most of the concerns people had with AFFC and ADWD was that it was so loooooong without much plot movement. All of that is alleviated in the television show, by necessity. They only have 10 episodes per season and only 60 minutes of screen time each week. Each character is only getting maybe a scene or two once every second episode at this point; do you think that the show will indulge hours of Brienne riding around the wilderness with Podrick and Nimble Dick? Or Tyrion wondering aloud where do whores go?

I don't think so.

Moreover, Jon Connington is awesome (as is everyone from Dorne), and totally necessary for the plot. Aegon, whether he is legitimate or not, is a pretty big deal.

3DS: 0232-9436-6893
    I don't know why that stuff is struck through. Automatic spoiler proofing, or something?

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular

1. Agreed on cutting her story really short.
    2. Can be avoided in some ways, just reveal him when he arrives, then he gets himself charbroiled.
    3. May be very important in the future.
    4. Hell no, Victarion is one of the best parts of DWD, right after Theon.
    5. This is the only way that the Dornish are introduced in the show, how else will The Red Viper be explained if we have no clue who the Martells are and why they hate the Lannisters so much?
    Some stuff definitely should be cut, but they can do that by cutting down a lot of the travelling that is seen in the books(ie. Brienne in AFFC). Cutting out potentially major characters is not the way to do it.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27

What? No.
    2&5. You more or less just cut out Dorne.
    1&3. And now you cut Aegon, might as well cut Varys at this point.
    4. I say again: What?

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I gotta wonder why some people even admit they read the books with how much they want to cut. Most things from the books are just establishing the setting anyways from a single point of view, the tv show is not stuck in first person. All kinds of things will take a 1000 words and turn it into a single picture.

For me, the big thing from the books that I wonder if it will be cut or not is the songs. The whole appeal of these books for me is how much world is not like it is in bard's songs but then suddenly it is - that is the return of magic IMHO. Your fingers or your tongue, bard, which do you want cut?

steam_sig.png

Yeah a lot of these books have turned into filler. Book 3 was the high point of the series, matched only by perhaps the theon work in book 5, which is some of GRRM's best stuff. I still love them, but I wish they maintained the level they had at SOS.
    1. Dany going around in Meereen and stuff has to go. Hopefully they bring her to Westeros earlier. - Yeah a lot of this can go, depending on time constraints. But its still important to her arc that she learn how hard ruling is, and that she needs to go back to westeros. I think to convincingly show the breakdown of her plan to free the east it has to be a long, annoying arc, just as in the books.
    2. Cut out Quentyn's story - Yeah he was kinda pointless in the end. But as you were reading you didn't KNOW he was gonna end up pointless. He's like Renly, but his death doesnt even affect anything. Not as if in dying he frees the dragons. He's prime material for a cut.
    3. Cut out Jon Connington, etc.- I agree the late appearance of a "new" targaryen is bullshit and should have been foreshadowed somewhat, but these guys may turn out to be important. In fact, I'm pretty sure they will.
    4. Cut out most of the Greyjoys - the kingsmoot stuff is probably part of completing theon/asha's arcs, and the horn could be important for dany
    5. Cut out the whole Dorne/Martell with Myrcella entirely -Agreed, this could be mentioned in an offhand way and we'd lose nothing.
    I really just don't see these people working as characters after being introduced so late- Agreed. Their late appearance in book 5/7 is just horseshit. He needed to foreshadow this at least a little bit, but none of it was there. It's all pretty clearly a late in the game asspull, which would be fine, except its also just filler. You can see how a trilogy expanded into 5 books and then 7 books and he kinda has no idea what he's doing anymore and it scares me for books 6 and 7. But unlike the other new plot threads, at least we knew Dorne existed, even though they weren't active players (quite deliberately as it turns out)

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I don't talk about other book series on the internet much. Is it common for people to wish the author had cut out entire characters and plot arcs? Or to skip them when reading?

It's just so alien to me, and the way I approach books.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I find it strange too. It's not filler if it's actually establishing plot.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It's mostly people who don't have the mental power to comprehend stories with more than one important character who moves in a straight line from point A to point B.

• DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Tarantio wrote: »
    I don't talk about other book series on the internet much. Is it common for people to wish the author had cut out entire characters and plot arcs? Or to skip them when reading?

It's just so alien to me, and the way I approach books.
    Yeah....it seems completely ridiculous to me. I dont think any of that stuff can be cut. Maybe a lot of segments from it can be cut but I cant comprehend someone saying that Dorne, the Iron Islands, Mereen and a new Targaryen which coming to Westeros (and the end game of one of the major character Varys' plot)....I don't understand. The stuff which I imagine they'd cut, judging by what they've cut from Clash, would be things like.

1. Most of Brienne's traveling but you've got to have the inn with Gendry and Stoneheart at the end. Maybe cut the Septon and Ser Used-To-Work-For-Tarly entirely unless the Ser proves important later on.
    2. Most of the Damphair's stuff. Maybe the Kingsmoot too but you've got to have a reason for Asha to go to the Iron Islands and flee.
    3. Cut down Cersei's and Dany's screen time drastically.
    4. Cut out Jaime's visit to the Brackens (Blackwood?...the River Landers with the dead Heart Tree) and have Brienne meet with him some other way. Maybe cut out his second visit with the Holy Hundred to Harrenhall.
    5. The prologue to Feast. Unless the whole maester angle and Jaqen/Pate becomes very important later on.
    5. Sam's stuff could be cut down a lot too. I mean his first chapter could be cut down in Feast a lot. You see him in a library full of old books, he looks tired, gets a message to go see Jon, skip out the mouse thing and him thinking about how these books are O So Old and O So Delicate and I Wish I Could Read More, conversation with Jon (two chapters in one here!), off I go to Eastwatch. That was a fairly long chapter. How long would it take on screen?
    6. Maybe Tyrion jousting on a pig cause that aint gonna happen on screen. Have him do some other folly. Maybe make the Bear and the Maiden Fair the actual show.

Lots of little things.

I know this is really vague but I find it hard to figure out what exactly would be suitably cut because I'm really sad whenever they change anything. What I'm trying to say is cutting out entire massive chunks of the story is crazy and they'd never do that. They'll just cut bits and pieces down.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    It's mostly people who don't have the mental power to comprehend stories with more than one important character who moves in a straight line from point A to point B.

My theory is that lots of people don't like reading

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    saggio wrote: »
    I don't know why that stuff is struck through. Automatic spoiler proofing, or something?

You tried to write season(s), but put brackets instead of parentheses. Which turned it into the html code for strike. ... odd that it didn't require a close tag, but Vanilla is weird, to say the least.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

Do you really need to be a dick about it?

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    If she was wearing a skimpy, dirty shift and had her head shaved, that would be humiliating enough to derange Cersei without violating any no-nudity clause. It might be easier on the makeup team too, a bald cap and dirt must be easier to fake with makeup than a saggy figure.

• quantumcat42quantumcat42 Registered User regular
    Apparently this guy is auditioning for a "mystery role" in season 3. Hm, what could it possibly be?

Could be a number of people. The Mance, Magnar, Tormund Giantsbane - Husband to Bears.

Could be a number of people. The Mance, Magnar, Tormund Giantsbane - Husband to Bears.

Totally Tormund. That's great! He's my favourite wildling.
    Tamin wrote: »
    saggio wrote: »

You tried to write season(s), but put brackets instead of parentheses. Which turned it into the html code for strike. ... odd that it didn't require a close tag, but Vanilla is weird, to say the least.

Ah, yeah, I see that now. Thanks for the heads up.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Apparently this guy is auditioning for a "mystery role" in season 3. Hm, what could it possibly be?

BRIAN BLESSED

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    This is one example of why I love the TV ONLY thread:
    Those are all fair. And yeah it does point more to her loyalty being more for sale than her specifically being after Tyrion. It was more something that crossed my mind when I was worried about Tyrion. I'll say my guess was

1. Happenstance with Bronn and her crossing paths and there was something going on with her and the other guy she was with - not sure if she was gonna kill him or something. But I'm guessing Tywin might know what she is.

2. Yeah I kinda doubt Cersei is involved. I'm guessing it's more Tywin that had her for some purpose and would be worried about her loyalty.

...huh. Tywin and a whore? He seems so disdainful of them and his son's use of them. Maybe she's working for him as a spy.

Someone started speculating about possible hidden motives/characterization for Shae and this was the latest post. :)

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

BRIAN BLESSED

I concur it should be Tormund!

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Do you really need to be a dick about it?

Sorry, but when the suggestions are "Let's cut every plot thread for the second half of the series", mockery and disdain is required.