As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[A Song of Ice and Fire, Books and Books+Show] Touch this thread and all shall be spoilt

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I only said bad things in that post above so let me make it clear

That was a pretty fuckin' boss episode

I think people will probably shut up about the lack of battles now

They were probably saving their entire battle budget of this season for this episode. And really, who can blame them?

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I'm sad that we kind of lost the notion of OH SHIT IT'S RENLY'S FUCKING GHOST and Stannis's bannerman turning on him.

Do we really get that DURING the battle? Or maybe just a rumor secondhand.

As far as I remember the renly's ghost thing is mostly brought up as an urban legend basically after the battle's wound up.

Actually I think you're right and Dontos comes in and tells Sansa that's what happened after Tyrion gets KO'd. So time to work it in next ep. It will just seem weird, since that's... not really what seemed to happen.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So, I think I was right. The last track on the soundtrack?
    "Three Blasts"

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    They're foreshadowing the fuck out of the RW. When Varys was saying "The bells always ring for horror." and then he lists off things, and then Tyrion says "a wedding?"

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    That's also super in character. They were waaaaaaaay more blatant about Joffrey's death.

Which is great, because I love Tommen. "When I'm King, I'll outlaw beets." Also, Ser Pounce forever.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    We saw Renly's "ghost," in the episode tonight. It just wasn't super apparent because the horns on his helm weren't fucking massive.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Doubtful, I suspect like Tyrion's use of his irregulars to harry the advance the Renly-ghost-plot will simply not come up due to time constraints. Such is life.

You know, everyone assumes that Ser Mandon Moore was acting under Cersei's orders, but if there's one pattern I've noticed it is that every assassination in this series had planning assistance from M. Night Shyamalan, unless someone specifically confesses and/or does the planning and the deed while we're watching chances are the "presumed guilty" party is not, in fact, guilty.

• Options
    Apparently Littlefinger and Ros are in the finale and I just don't know how the fuck they'll have time for that with all the plot strands to tie up, not to mention more Jaime/Brienne book 3 stuff.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    The only bit that annoyed me was that its like they didn't prepare for the battle at all.

Oh, ladders? Yeah, we don't have any poles to push them away. Oh, a beach that they're sure to come down? Let's not make that an utter bitch to land on and advance on.

But that's only because I realize they did it like that for filmability, and its sad to see what could have been an even better battle simplified so much.

How did they make beaches a pain in the medieval era? It's not like you could really mine them. Caltrops, I guess.

A bit of wyldfyre in the sand around the wall would have pretty much shut down Stannis's fun. Just mix it up a bit, and then when they run up...whoosh.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I really didn't care for the scenes where Cersei has to be a drunken ass to Sansa. I know why they were there, but they were fucking boring.

I wish Davos had gotten to do a little battling before the trap was sprung. The show made him out to be the patsy, where as in the books, wasn't it his stupid noble crew that rammed the wildfyre ship against his orders?

Tyrion is adorable in his armor. Is that offensive? I want to hug him. Especially after he chops off a leg. So cute!

Atlas in Chains on
  • Options

I wish Davos had gotten to do a little battling before the trap was sprung. The show made him out to be the patsy, where as in the books, wasn't it his stupid noble crew that rammed the wildfyre ship against his orders?

It was, yeah.

• Options
    Why couldn't Mandon Moore have just been taking advantage of the situation? He's always around the King and the Queen Regent, he knows the score between them and Tyrion. Looked like a crime of opportunity to me.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Eh, but really it's not like there's any reason he should be expecting it. Like he told Stannis himself, he's not a battle commander he's a freaking ex-smuggler.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Apparently Littlefinger and Ros are in the finale and I just don't know how the fuck they'll have time for that with all the plot strands to tie up, not to mention more Jaime/Brienne book 3 stuff.

There's always time for Ros! (for some reason)

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »

There's always time for Ros! (for some reason)

That reminds me; I made a post in one of the old TV threads saying that if Ros turned out to have a story purpose I'd take a picture of myself with a sign apologizing to her and post it.

Guess I'll have to get around to that sometime.

• Options
    Eh, but really it's not like there's any reason he should be expecting it. Like he told Stannis himself, he's not a battle commander he's a freaking ex-smuggler.

That's my point. Book Davos is a good Hand and a good Admiral, if only the nobles would respect him. In the show, well, what do you expect from an Onion leading the fleet? It's just a small bit of lost characterization that I'll miss, because Davos is so easily one of my favorites and any change is going to be unwelcome to me.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The only bit that annoyed me was that its like they didn't prepare for the battle at all.

Oh, ladders? Yeah, we don't have any poles to push them away. Oh, a beach that they're sure to come down? Let's not make that an utter bitch to land on and advance on.

But that's only because I realize they did it like that for filmability, and its sad to see what could have been an even better battle simplified so much.

How did they make beaches a pain in the medieval era? It's not like you could really mine them. Caltrops, I guess.

A bit of wyldfyre in the sand around the wall would have pretty much shut down Stannis's fun. Just mix it up a bit, and then when they run up...whoosh.

That's an excellent way to burn the entire city down.

edit: but this episode was SO GOOD.I guess we get the House of the Undying next week? Wish the Renly thing had been a bit more emphasized, but perhaps it will in later episodes. Fantastic battle though. And the Rains of Castamere! That's the best part right there. That credits song was boss too.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

That's an excellent way to burn the entire city down.

Especially with the breeze coming in from the water

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Boring7 wrote: »
    Doubtful, I suspect like Tyrion's use of his irregulars to harry the advance the Renly-ghost-plot will simply not come up due to time constraints. Such is life.

No. No. If you look closely at the end of the battle scene, you see a guy in Renly's armor on a horse riding around killing people. But if you're not watching it on an HD TV it's not super apparently, because the horns are small and the shots are brief.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Yeah it's definitely in there. And Loras pulled off the helm during Tywin's grand entry.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    For using their entire battle budget, it wasn't quite as epic as I'd hoped (or pictured from the book). But I mean, what can you do--you're not going to have LotR Helm's Deep shit on TV no matter how much you wish for it.

I think a bigger issue for me is that they didn't build up Tyrion's preparations nearly as much earlier this season as GRRM did in the book. I mean they had a couple bits and pieces, but they didn't hammer it home nearly as hard how awesome Tyrion is and how kickass of a job he did. As a result, it may not rankle quite as much when others get all the credit.

Still overall an awesome episode.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Oh my fucking god the Rains of Castamere sounded exactly as I imagined it.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

That's my point. Book Davos is a good Hand and a good Admiral, if only the nobles would respect him. In the show, well, what do you expect from an Onion leading the fleet? It's just a small bit of lost characterization that I'll miss, because Davos is so easily one of my favorites and any change is going to be unwelcome to me.

Well, he's a good Hand. He's not an Admiral in any battles. He captains his own ship, and from his perspective (I agree with him, but still) he's smarter than the guy actually in charge. Davos is a good dude. And he should be more heavily featured the next two seasons.

Littlefinger makes perfect sense, since he just engineered the Tyrell/Lannister alliance and we have to get details. Ros is there because the producers adore that actress for whatever reason. Well reasons. Two of them.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Along with Ramsay, I hope we get the Tywin "there will be no more follies" scene next week.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    One problem I've noticed after perusing most of the online reviews of the episode - many people believe Sansa left with the Hound.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Marie AugustMarie August Los Angeles, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I've been so jaded with the last few episodes, that this one was a welcome improvement. I'm strangely not inclined to care about little things that might otherwise have bothered me (like how it's been mentioned that Renly's ghost was not made very apparent) since I'm so relieved the Battle of Blackwater wasn't completely altered from how epic it was in the books.

banner3.jpg
    Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com
  • Options
    "Fuck your water, bring me wine" and the other lines the Hound gave to Tyrion were delivered exactly how I imagined them in the book. So satisfying to watch.

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Mandon Moore? I thought Meryn Trant tries to off Tyrion. I wish the Kingsguard had more distinction in the show, same as whoever was with the hound before the battle.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    While I knew it wasn't going to happen I was really hoping to see some fighting take place amongst a bridge of destroyed boats.

It was still an incredible episode though. The Tyrion injury seemed a little confusing though.

• Options
    NuttycamNuttycam Registered User regular
    That was a great episode was TV. Some of changes still baffle me but that episode rocked. Yeah I prefer the role Davos played in the books and I missed the chain but fuck it I loved the episode. The wildfire blowing up was insane.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think it's intentionally confusing. "Oh my god why'd he do that" followed with mini-cliffhanger "shit did Tyrion just die?"

The general problem with the show is that there's so many characters and they don't really get enough air time. I would've loved to see more witty banter between Tyrion and Bronn as opposed to Jon Snow being a moody fuck or Dany doing fuck all.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    So it's been a while since I read Clash of Kings, did that Tyrion line "There are brave men knocking at our door! Let's go kill them!" show up in the books? Because it was a pretty awesome line.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    The explosion was amazing. I especially loved the little slow-mo as the fire moved along the ship disintegrating it.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    That whole Wildfire scene was amazing. The boats disintegrating, wow. Wouldn't be suprised if they blew the budget on that single shot.

Nuttycam on
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    tumblr_m4pq5e8oUd1r00l9eo1_500.gif

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »
    So it's been a while since I read Clash of Kings, did that Tyrion line "There are brave men knocking at our door! Let's go kill them!" show up in the books? Because it was a pretty awesome line.

Pretty sure it (or something similar) was in there, but it was said after they were outside the walls. I don't think they ever actually got to the Mud Gate in the books (Stannis /definitely/ never got up the battlements.)

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Is there currently a running theory that Jaime and Cersei may actually be Targaryans? I've been rereading choice POVs from the series and was reading some Barristan chapters last night. He pretty clearly indicates that Aerys may've taken certainly liberties with Joanna on Tywin's wedding night.

It'd go a long way towards explaining the crazy-sauce and sibling loving with Jaime and Cersei. It would also be some delicious irony if Tyrion was the only real Lannister.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Never really thought the secret targ stuff would serve much of a point, especially at this stage.

Nuttycam on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Is there currently a running theory that Jaime and Cersei may actually be Targaryans? I've been rereading choice POVs from the series and was reading some Barristan chapters last night. He pretty clearly indicates that Aerys may've taken certainly liberties with Joanna on Tywin's wedding night.

It'd go a long way towards explaining the crazy-sauce and sibling loving with Jaime and Cersei. It would also be some delicious irony if Tyrion was the only real Lannister.

Yes, Jaime and Cersei are Targaryens. Double irony because Robert ended up marrying a Targaryen and "fathering" three Targaryen children.

reVerse on
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Those Targaryean theories, isnt Tyrion supposed to be one, third head of the dragon?

Triiipledot on