As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[A Song of Ice and Fire, Books and Books+Show] Touch this thread and all shall be spoilt

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Ew, no slowmo please

Yeah, they'll probably have it feel slowed down as Catelyn is piecing it all together moments before it happens

but not like literal slowmo, I'd hope. I don't think slowmo has even been used in the series, has it?

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    Yeah, they'll probably have it feel slowed down as Catelyn is piecing it all together moments before it happens

but not like literal slowmo, I'd hope. I don't think slowmo has even been used in the series, has it?

At least once in season 2, when the Hound is freaking out at the Battle of the Blackwater.

• Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Wazza wrote: »

At least once in season 2, when the Hound is freaking out at the Battle of the Blackwater.

So there's precedent. The Hound lost his shit during the Battle of Blackwater, just as Caitlyn loses hers at the Red Wedding.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    There was slomo in S1E9 right before Eddard lost his head.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I don't think that there's going to be slow motion, but I do think that when Rains of Castamere comes on Cat will have dialogue. As things happen in the book most people have left the hall, and the song starts playing. Cat walks up to Edwyn and grabs him, and feels the armor under his silks. She slaps him, and then he shoves her aside and the killing starts. The book has Cat recognize the inappropriate nature of the song and realize that Bad Things are about to go down, just before they do.

It's possible that the nature of the song, that Edwyn is wearing armor, and the sudden obvious peril might be communicated through The Power of Acting, but I think that some dialog on Cat's part will be necessary for the viewing audience. Or, it could basically be just a scene that keeps going past its logical end, and then the music starts, and all we get is the stunned expression on Cat's face before the killing starts.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    She'll grab his arm, there'll be the Foley artists letting us know something amiss, she pulls up the sleeve of his tunic...

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    If anything I think the best way for the red wedding to happen is just for shit to never change momentum once it's starting

Build up the suspense early on, with Cat asking to break bread with him. Let him consider it for a second, everyone gets tense... Yeaaaah, fine ok. Whew, everything's worked out. Then everyone's just at dinner and Castamere starts to play, folks look up a bit puzzled, and then arrows start flying down on them out of nowhere, with no build up until it explodes.

And then don't give the audience a chance to breath until Catelyn's holding the Frey at knifepoint, and it still seems like she might save Robb.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    If anything I think the best way for the red wedding to happen is just for shit to never change momentum once it's starting

Build up the suspense early on, with Cat asking to break bread with him. Let him consider it for a second, everyone gets tense... Yeaaaah, fine ok. Whew, everything's worked out. Then everyone's just at dinner and Castamere starts to play, folks look up a bit puzzled, and then arrows start flying down on them out of nowhere, with no build up until it explodes.

And then don't give the audience a chance to breath until Catelyn's holding the Frey at knifepoint, and it still seems like she might save Robb.

Yep I"m into this

I swear I"m getting PTSD just from reading these posts, that was a bad moment for me reading this series

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    There was slomo in S1E9 right before Eddard lost his head.

And that feel is sort of how I see the "realization" part of it going down, as every thing is a bit wrong, up until Cat feels dude's armor. I think I'm letting Zach Snyder-y slowmo taint my brain regarding what counts as slowmo
    Kana wrote: »

Yeah, that sense of momentum up to her grabbing the poor, dim Frey was totally there in the book, and I think they can translate it to the screen just like that

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Was anyone a bit irked by the presence of the giants so prominantly in Jon's storyline in Dance? I dunno im cool that they exist in the world I guess, and normally im the last guy to poo-poo traditional fantasy elements, but I felt like Martin has built up my expectations of the realism of the world, and with Dragons, Forest Children and White Walkers I felt they were one 'creature' too many, particularly since their inclusion didnt have any thematic elements like the others, and seemed to boil down to 'check it out Giants'. They even seemed like the typical 'dopey' giants we've seen a million times before.

Im hoping they just cut them from the TV show if it ever gets that far.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Shit's weird north of the wall.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I don't agree with your point of view even a little bit Prohass. The magic be flowin, the giants be throwin, yo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    The giants were mentioned in Nan's stories too and Jon first saw them in Storm. It's not too far fetched to have them become more prominent when the others, children of the forest and dragons were considered stories as well, although dragons were much more recent than the rest.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    I know im not saying they shouldnt exist, im just saying theres not really a thematic place for them, and they're inclusion isnt as spectacualr and ominous as the rest of the fantasy elements

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They're not supposed to be spectacular and ominous. North of the wall, the giants are just big dudes, not mythical fairytale monsters.

• Options
    he describes them as 14 feet and they have a kind of animalistic intelligence, thats more mythical fairytale than big dudes, at least thats how I felt it was described. Im just saying personally I felt it muddied the waters a bit for me

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    They're not supposed to be spectacular and ominous. North of the wall, the giants are just big dudes, not mythical fairytale monsters.

The Mountain is a big dude

Giants are, uh, giants

The one in DWD picks up a guy and rips him in half, if I remember correctly

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I'll be honest.

This is how I've been picturing them lately:
    yeti_3.png

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I've always just pictured them as really big dudes. I don't think of their intelligence as limited, they know the Old Tongue quite well. I think they have somewhat primitive mindsets in the way many wildlings do; willing to do whatever it takes to survive. This is just not understood by those south of the wall, and since giants are, well, giant, they are more accustomed to getting their way.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    They're also quite shaggy

so, I guess I have "taller, beefier Bigfoot" as my point of reference

• Options
    Ironically, I see them as kind of like Ewoks. The Ewoks aren't stupid, but they're culturally not as advanced, and (in the EU) it's hinted they rely more on sensory information (smell, etc.) than analysis.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    http://www.vulture.com/2012/10/25-most-devoted-fans.html?mid=nymag_press#photo=25x00014

On a list that includes (among others) Star Wars, Dr. Who, Joss Whedon, and Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones fans are considered the most devoted. I especially got a kick out of the "most pirated show of 2012" line.

Take note, HBO. Offer episodes (as they air) at a reasonable price on iTunes or Amazon and I think a fair number of those pirates would willingly give you money.

Tamin on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    http://www.vulture.com/2012/10/25-most-devoted-fans.html?mid=nymag_press#photo=25x00014

On a list that includes (among others) Star Wars, Dr. Who, Joss Whedon, and Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones fans are considered the most devoted. I especially got a kick out of the "most pirated show of 2012" line.

Take note, HBO. Offer episodes (as they air) at a reasonable price on iTunes or Amazon and I think a fair number of those pirates would willingly give you money.

Yes pleeeeease. I want my wife to watch and catch up with me as soon as possible, and we would gladly pay a small amount to stream the episodes. We just don't want to wait until March or so until the blu-ray comes out.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

Not gonna happen. The reduction in subs would probably reduce profits and it would for sure piss of their carriers and those are the guys HBO needs to keep happy.

• Options
    Yeah, it's in HBO's interest not to let their shows be easy to get without a subscription. If you get HBO for game of thrones chances are you'll probably just end up keeping the subscription when it's not airing.

HBO doesn't make its money through advertising, so while lowering the cost of viewing episodes would result in a lot more viewers, it wouldn't actually end up helping the company keep making content.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Hell, make HBO Go a pay streaming service, outside of having to have a cable subscription. I dont have cable, but I would gladly pay for HBO Go if it was reasonably priced just to watch Game of Thrones.

• Options
    It's just a stupid mess right now. HBO firmly believes that "cable cutters" are a fad, and most people will return to the fold. I firmly believe the opposite - that TV as it has been done is changing, rapidly, and I'd really like (for selfish reasons, naturally) HBO to get on board what I see as the future.

I just wish they could experiment without needing to commit: if they start allowing HBO Go to customers who don't have television packages, then TWC, AT&T, et al will throw a hissy fit. So they'd need to be absolutely sure they could sustain themselves under the new model before they can even try it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Neither of those are gonna happen because HBO depends on the goodwill of the cable companies.

HBO survives because cable companies upsell their customers to HBO and in return people buy cable to get HBO (and there might be some other deal in there too)

HBO can't cut the cable companies out of the loop because they desperately need their support.

• Options
    There was a pretty good interview with the prez of HBO a while ago where he pretty much laid all that business strategy out on the table. It was actually refreshingly frank.

He pointed out that, among other things, HBO doesn't do any selling itself, all the upsells for HBO are done by their business partners. So even things like setting up an a la carte option for ordering just HBO is a lot trickier decision for them than it would seem like at first.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Coming in a bit late to the party regarding giants. Doesnt he describe them as giant hairy men? I always pictured them something like Sasquatches but bigger.

Also I am rereading book 1 and getting a bunch of the nuance that I missed the first time through. It has also led me to believe that with the speculation surrounding Jon's parentage I put my money on:
    Jon being Robert and Lyanna's kid moreso than anything.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Hardly.
    For one thing, we know Robert. I don't think he'd have had any hangups about Lyanna if he actually bedded her.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Hardly.
    For one thing, we know Robert. I don't think he'd have had any hangups about Lyanna if he actually bedded her.

You're suggesting that the only reason Robert mourns Lyanna is because he got blue-balled?

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    Hardly.

You're suggesting that the only reason Robert mourns Lyanna is because he got blue-balled?

She was the one that got away. It probably doesn't hurt that he thinks she was abducted and raped, but given that he was basically the good-looking king of all fratboys and later the king of all the realms, he probably got any woman he wanted...except her.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Hardly.

Well it seems strikingly clear that she wasn't actually kidnapped, and that this version of Lyanna in Robert's head probably had no basis in reality

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Lyanna snuck out with the drama nerd. I guess everything in Martin's magnum opus can be understood through the lens of the American high school experience.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    Just finished book 4, I don't get the hate. I really liked book 4 quite a bit. Moving on to 5 here soon. Based on the authors note at the end of 4, am I to understand that book 5 takes place parallel to 4, just filling in the events of different characters?

Also I'm confused by the thread title, are you supposed to talk freely without spoiler tags in this forum, or you can talk freely, just make sure to use the spoiler tags for plot?

I also finished watching season 1 and I'm not thrilled about it. There are good and bad elements, but I'm frustrated by some of the changes that dont seem to be made for any reason other than how it tested with audiences. I don't mind plot or thematic changes to fit the medium better, that's fine. When it's just about making things more pretty or likable to a mainstream audience then it's irritating. Also there is a lot more gratuitous nudity and sex in the first season than in book 1, while taking out some of the more important nudity (I thought) that added to a characters personality or vulnerability. Either way, better than a lot of bullshit on tv I suppose.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Book 5 overlaps timewise with Book 4 for the first 2/3 or so and then moves forward.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Most of the hate for book 4 was because of the long wait for it and then the lack of several plotlines that people had been waiting for like Tyrion. It's also a book largely about people going, "So, this is my life now?" after the crazy fallout of the last 3 books.

Personally it's my favorite book of the series so far though

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Hardly.

Well it seems strikingly clear that she wasn't actually kidnapped, and that this version of Lyanna in Robert's head probably had no basis in reality

Then what is Ned's excuse? I guess he probably knew Robert better than his own sister (considering he was sent away at a young age), but you'd think someone in the family would be like "yo dawg, that isn't exactly how it went down".

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Hardly.

Then what is Ned's excuse? I guess he probably knew Robert better than his own sister (considering he was sent away at a young age), but you'd think someone in the family would be like "yo dawg, that isn't exactly how it went down".
    I'm guessing he had no choice or didn't find out until it was too late. At that point, pissing off the king is a terrible idea. It may explain why he basically abandoned Robert and just went home though.