As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    So there is no easy way to swap between skills like the last diablo? Using hotkeys to swap which skills were assigned to which mouse button?

steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    37 error... As for the launcher, I just opened it and updated it without a hitch. People need better computers.

What's a /nopickup command?

Yeah the beta is designed to end at the Skeleton King fight to keep from spoiling a major part of the story line. However, there was a bug a few patches ago that allowed people to "jump the fence" with certain characters. If you're interested.

Difficulty is fine, it's levels 1-10 on Normal guys. Literally 1/3 of Act 1. This isn't Demon/Dark Souls.

They're using the open beta as a stress test, they'll figure out the 37 error and fix it for release. Sorry to say but you guys are the test bunnies, expect delays.
    warder808 wrote: »
    So there is no easy way to swap between skills like the last diablo? Using hotkeys to swap which skills were assigned to which mouse button?

No. The idea is to get rid of hotswapping abilities so you can make your build in town and stick with it, not have access to all of your abilities and swap rapidly between them. However, they didn't want to make people feel completely out of control of that so they added a 20-30 second cooldown when you swap abilities outside of town.

KoopahTroopah on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Plus there's the fact that you have 6 skills at the ready (1-4, LC, RC) compared to just two.

• spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    I had to get the (error 37) 7x before it let me in this morning. For anyone that isn't getting in, just keep trying. There is no queue(that I know of) and there is a cap of how many ppl can be on at once, so you just have to get lucky and log in right as someone else logs off/gets DCed/gets kicked/crashes/etc.

steam_sig.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    spitfirek wrote: »
    I had to get the (error 37) 7x before it let me in this morning. For anyone that isn't getting in, just keep trying. There is no queue(that I know of) and there is a cap of how many ppl can be on at once, so you just have to get lucky and log in right as someone else logs off/gets DCed/gets kicked/crashes/etc.

It took me 2 tries to get in, it took me about 15 minutes to actually start a game with a brand new character after they wiped my old ones from the closed beta. Played for about 10-15 minutes before a message popped up saying servers going down in 15 minutes. :p

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    And they've added a queue... or was that there before?

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Okay, managed to get in. Played a monk, finished the beta and hit level 9.

Digging it so far, not sure about the other classes but I love the mechanics of the monk, in terms of smoothness and abilities chaining together. I think after the initial part when I got jumped into a second group it threw me into a much higher level group because I spent most of my team blinding enemies and healing as my punches didn't do much damage.

Got a rare shield that dropped, might sell it on the AH just to see what that is like.

Servers are about to go down, but I went from "maybe I'll get it after it drops in price and just play Torchlight 2" to "If this server limit bullshit gets resolved I will get it."

Seriously, if I dropped the money to play this and then was unable to play it singleplayer due to the servers being overpopulated I'd be pissed.

Dyvion wrote: »

Ya, I didn't see a queue before, just errors. Now there is a queue for starting a game(not sure if there is one for logging in though).

steam_sig.png
    Dyvion wrote: »

Ya, I didn't see a queue before, just errors. Now there is a queue for starting a game(not sure if there is one for logging in though).

Trying to join someone elses game it said there were 621 games available (in the first area). But it queue'd me to join any of them. hrmph.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Keep going back to him. Shop keepers change out their inventory every so often even while in the same game (I usually check every time i head back to town and its different). Got some 17.5 dps ones from him not long ago. Plus he sells rings, which if you get a couple of Keen rings of Slaughter, (dmg and as) you'll be hitting like a truck in no time.

I finally bought some good 1 handed crossbows on my LVL11 wizard for my LVL7 demon hunter. holy jesus the demon hunter DPS is insane. 16 DPS crossbow + 2 rings of wounding = 40 DPS at level 7. Thats absurd. I one shot all the things. I can only imagine an optimized setup.

The Wizard feels less fun than I remember. I think the arcane orb nerf hurt her hard. You can only cast 3 before you run out of arcane power, and they arent as powerful as they once were. She always feels like shes running out of arcane power and its not a good feeling. I miss electrocute and disintegrate.
    Magic missile is a solid first skill- long range, good damage, no cost, single target, but its nothing exciting.
    I've found I need arcane orb on RMB for the AOE, then frost nova and wave of force for the utility on hotbars 1 and 2. I've played around with spectral blades and the charged bolt spell, but missile/orb seems like the most reliable setup.
    Diamond skin has way too short a duration for me to want to use it. Especially not in place of a PBAOE freeze.
    Watching my monk buddy zip around I'm really feeling the lack of a movement skill.

The Witch Doc OTOH is way MORE fun than I remember. Firebats and Soul Harvest are fuckin spectacular. Zombie Dogs and Poison Dart are solid.
    tabris814 wrote: »
    The DH doesn't get really awesome until you get some of the later skills, I feel it's the same way for the WD too. Impale and Poison Dart are two of the most boring skills in the game, the other classes quickly outgrow their boring skills but it feels like early on the DH and WD especially are stuck with lamer stuff. Just in there with the DH until you get caltrops, vault, and entangling shot, then you'll be flipping all over the place and destroying shit. If you level up the DH to get bola shot then it's pure win.

Runed Impale has a stun though, which is nice. Boring but it hits hard. I don't mind it so much.

Poison dart is dead boring, even runed, but firebats and soul harvest are so good I dont mind. WD needs a single target, long range, low mana cost attack, and poison dart is it. Its the equivalent of magic missile: boring but utterly necesssary.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The demon hunter starter ability is pretty fun when you get the rune to make it more likely to penetrate. Bounces all over the place.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Is the stash shared between characters on your account?

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Played through the beta as a monk and demon hunter. The second time through was together with someone playing barbarian and I got a little bit jealous of the leap.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Is the stash shared between characters on your account?

Yes.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I finally got this game going and am playing a witch doctor. Prognosis: fun.

Also keep in mind people that every time a company (not just Blizzard) releases a product they don't just borrow code (like, say, authentication code) from their old products and leave it at that. They use that excuse to freshen the code and deal with problems or limitations it had, maybe behind the scenes. As such, its possible that for instance the authentication process requires more processing or data than it used to and that is what Blizzard haven't taken into account this time.

Conjecture all up ins.

While I was playing it was very stuttery, but I just assumed that was my lag. It may have been that I hadn't completely downloaded the client yet. It's all downloaded now. Perhaps it will be a smoother experience when the servers come back up.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Barbarians are metric shittons of awesome once you get a big two-hander and cleave.

reVerse on
  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Are there limits on the number of characters you can have?

steam_sig.png
  • CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    Older versions of the beta stuttered to buggery for me, but patch 18 has been beautiful. I've been able to turn up some of the settings.

Dancing Bagel
  • EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Are there limits on the number of characters you can have?

I think it's a ten character limit.

Anyone else getting an error saying battle.net is down for maintenance?

steam_sig.png
  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Anyone else getting an error saying battle.net is down for maintenance?

Me too. Give it some time, they probably are really doing maintenance on it.

steam_sig.png
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    It says in the news bar they are going down at 8 PDT / 11 EST it says they will be letting players in slowly after its done.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    In keeping with the unofficial customer service role for Diablo 3, anyone receiving any errors or installation problems at all should refer to this link.

Also Unlock number 5 from the reveal site has been released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ku0oEryTX7o

edit - I just got a 33 error for maintenance.

KoopahTroopah on
  • SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Client is down now for maintenance, yes. Error 33 for all!

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    Anyone been able to get in since the maintenance?

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    You'd think if I'm signed into their website, they could remember my birth date. I've had to enter that like 5 times in the past 15 minutes.

mrflippy wrote: »
    You'd think if I'm signed into their website, they could remember my birth date. I've had to enter that like 5 times in the past 15 minutes.

That's a common complaint against all websites that require a birthdate, and I hate it too. Steam does the same shit.

• YallYall Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »

That's a common complaint against all websites that require a birthdate, and I hate it too. Steam does the same shit.

The problem with Steam is that if you fuck up and mis-enter your date info in such a manner that it thinks you're too young, it remembers that.

• Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Looks like i just got in.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I keep getting server are busy errors

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    So as a person who has never really played through the diablo series...
    ...Is the diablo series basically Gauntlet with significantly more extensive/polished loot, character building, pvp, and (what I assume are) randomly generated dungeons?

Just wondering why out of so many games with similar gameplay, this one is by far the most popular

I just logged in... FIRST TRY!! oh ya!

steam_sig.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    There is nothing stopping you from trying whatever builds you want in this game. The idea that you need a "permanent" build in order for your choices to have "weight" is absurd. Choosing a build in D2 and by accident putting a point wrong screwed your entire character. OR maybe the build you thought was great suddenly hits a road block and you need to then scrap that character.

These are BAD design elements. These are the opposite of fun. Perhaps some of you are masochistic and really go for that sort of thing. Great. Wonderful. Amazing. I promise you, that you are a select few. Being able to adjust your build, try new things, being able to actually "put a point" into a new skill you just unlocked to try it without worrying about completely fucking your character, is a GOOD thing. It's progress.

You can do everything you did in D2 with the new system, the only difference is that now it is a system that rewards experimentation instead of punishing it. Oh and instead of an absurd amount of skills to switch through and use you are now limited to 6ish.

I love D2 as much as the next guy, but this absurd attachment to a very clunky and outdated system is ridiculous. Being able to respec and change your build is a very common element in games these days. Remember when they would release a patch that nerfed your amazing build that you found in D2? That sure was fun.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited April 2012
    ...Is the diablo series basically Gauntlet with significantly more extensive/polished loot, character building, pvp, and (what I assume are) randomly generated dungeons?

Just wondering why out of so many games with similar gameplay, this one is by far the most popular

Diablo is literally a pioneer, in a sense that it revitalized and changed the way that people saw dungeon crawlers. It's really the most popular because of the amount of polish and time that went into making the game. In short, it just felt the most fun. Everything about it clicked, and since every fan of the genre played it other companies would try to match it and attempt their own improvements on the system. However, every clone of D2 just made you think of D2 and make you want to play that instead. This is all from personal experience of course.

I know when I first played D2, I thought the game was sick as hell. I was only 10-11 at the time but shit I barely played anything online besides like Quake 3 and Counter Strike. Just the amount of customization, the randomized terrain, the story line, the music, just about everything in the game felt great. So much that whenever I hear the Tristram music, I get super nostalgic.

I can see where everyone's argument comes from if they weren't here when D2 was first getting big. There are tens if not hundreds of clones that mimic the same exact systems as Diablo 2. After playing the beta several times, I can guarantee that the same thing will happen with Diablo 3. There's already Path of Exile and Torchlight, and D3 hasn't even been released yet. However, Diablo 3 will still remain the most polished and the most "defined" because it's fucking Blizzard.

KoopahTroopah on
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Basically yeah... And heroin is basically just crushed poppies.

Other games have tried emulate it, but D2 just has a certain magic. Just like heroin*, once you've tried the real thing nothing else is quite the same.

*I've never tried heroin.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Arrgh down again.

Man, this game. I love how they made the attack animations so exaggerated that even at the beginning of the game your character feels powerful. First time I hit a Zombie with my Barbarian and he flew 10 feet it was an "oh shit" moment.

I feel really bad for the Torchlight 2 guys right now, though I will probably still pick that up.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • MomoriMomori Registered User regular
    Azkorai wrote: »
    I am fully not expecting this to work for the majority of today, but I want it to, so bad.

I wasn't trying to say it's a bad thing on Blizzard if they have a sticky launch.

It's impossible to simulate and anticipate the amount of stress the servers are going to have to deal with once the game goes 100% live beforehand. This is just a fact of technology and it's no one's fault if this doesn't go off without a hitch.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I really like the streamlining of the stats and skills myself. I was never good at getting the ultimate perfect build anyways, and because I was a necro in D2, gimping myself was really easy to do. I like the new system.

This discussion has been closed.