As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Things I'm sad about

Skill selection only to one spot :( Why can't I use the spiders AND the poison bolt. Or fire bats and grasping hands. There's few enough skills as it is without arbitrary rules
    Multiple power levels on runestones being gone

Turn on elective mode in game options and you can assign any skill of any type to any slot. High level gear can roll affixes that boost rune effects and fulfills the purpose that higher runestone ranks previously did.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Playing D3 just makes me miss D2. I miss when spells didn't give a shit what weapon was in my hand. I miss having more than a handful to choose from, and I miss being able to assign whichever one I want to whatever button I want. D2 Sorc players got pretty screwed in D3.

I also miss gems, and runes, and sockets. I miss giving a shit what gear dropped; so far, everything I've seen is so "meh" inducing that I don't care. I miss my choices having a meaning; I miss the thrill of speccing out and optimizing for your playstyle, instead of just clicking a few buttons and being done. I miss being able to USE my skills without having to swap them out and wait for a cooldown.

An interesting little game this D3 is. A worthy successor to D2 it ain't.

Skill complaints I understand, but loot was pretty darn crap in D2 before the second act. You usually got one or two decent things in the whole first part. I've found some fun stuff, a health restoring belt, gloves that give more xp, and a sweet knife that restores health when I kill things and increases gold. I'm hoping that 'of the whale' and that sort of stuff start showing up soon though. I like stats!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    I'm guessing the server is down for the night?

Maybe not for the night, but I think for at least another hour...

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Skill selection only to one spot :( Why can't I use the spiders AND the poison bolt. Or fire bats and grasping hands. There's few enough skills as it is without arbitrary rules

Go to options -> gameplay -> turn on elective mode. It lets you put stuff where you want

And I'd really like someone to tell me what their point of reference is for "not enough skills". Counting off the talent trees, the diablo 2 sorc had 26 total skills, while the diablo 3 wizard has 25 skills with 5 runes each. Dat's alot of skills

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Things I love....

The game itself, it's great. Blizzard has hit a home run, and thats only considering the first six levels. Everything just flows so nicely
    The atmosphere
    The sense of power from the skills and abilities
    The witch doctor voice
    The fact there is still a tad of humor but the situation feels INCREDIBLY dire
    The graphics

Things I'm sad about

Multiple power levels on runestones being gone
    Numerous problems with online only being brought to the forefront during this stress test. They really should have rethought that.

It's a weird decision to make the game even more noob friendly, although I'm not sure it really achieves that... or anything else worthwile. You can bypass this restriction by going in options and turning on "Elective Mode". This will let you put any ability in any slot. (There's arrows on top of the skill page to change categories when selecting a skill)

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So ive played through the beta on the WD, and gotten about halfway through it on the monk. I stop to take a look at the achivements and notice the soul jar questline that apparently i missed. what area does that start in?

Late, but I stumbled across this in the cemetary while I was looking for the crown. It was just in a big square room and it spawns waves of skeletons for a minute. Surviving gives you the achievement, but it was pretty easy as the monk. I just stood in a corner and tore them up with long range punches.

I'm level 12 now on my monk and it is a blast. They're nice and versatile, you can blind, slow, snare, have long range melee combat and teleport/gap closers.

Only thing that has bit me in the ass is upgrading the smith up to level two. I wasn't looking and made the basic staff for the monk, but it requires level 15 to use. Whoops!

• Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think my concern with the possibility of builds stagnating eventually is that
    - certain skills seem to synergize very well with each other, meaning that the number of possible working skill combinations is actually less than it might seems. For example, you wouldn't use Entangling Shot with Impale as the Demon Hunter. Instead, Rapid Fire / Strafe makes a heck load more sense. Caltrops would have considerably less value in such a situation too.
    - While enemies may spawn with random modifiers, generally, you know what sort of enemies will spawn are in an area and their behaviour, so it's possible to prepare to a certain extent.
    - The Nephalem buff sounds great in practice but I suspect it could eventually end up like Magic Find in Diablo 2. You could load yourself with tons of MF (say 500% to 700%), but your killing speed would drop so drastically such that it made more sense to just do it with less MF but get in more runs at the same time. Likewise, while the buff is great, in practice I suspect people will happily forgo it to swop to a tuned build just to kill faster if the time savings are considerably higher.
    - You really don't get the benefit of one point wonder skills anymore such as the Nec's curses/Sorc's teleport or ice armors/Paladin auras.

It's still too early to tell, but I forsee that Blizzard will have to address these issues eventually. All in all though, from what I've played of Diablo 3, it's still a great great game.

Slimcea on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    I thought that changing your skill/runes with a 5 second cool down was enough of a deterrent. It set things up nicely for when you are focused on AoE'ing, you could switch to single target skills right before a boss. Its apparent that they really really do not want you to switch ever unless its right before you start playing.
    What's a more interesting mechanic: one where it makes sense to have your aoe build and your single target build, or one where you're motivated to balance the two?

The first one actually. I like toying with multiple builds.

Lucky for you, the system still allows that. Either in between play sessions with no downside whatsoever, or you lose a magic find buff, but probably kill faster.

This way, there's at least some motivation for both specialized and balanced builds.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Slimcea wrote: »
    I think my concern with the possibility of builds stagnating eventually is that
    - certain skills seem to synergize very well with each other, meaning that the number of possible working skill combinations is actually less than it might seems. For example, you wouldn't use Entangling Shot with Impale as the Demon Hunter. Instead, Rapid Fire / Strafe makes a heck load more sense. Caltrops would have considerably less value in such a situation too.
    - While enemies may spawn with random modifiers, generally, you know what sort of enemies will spawn are in an area and their behaviour, so it's possible to prepare to a certain extent.
    - The Nephalem buff sounds great in practice but I suspect it could eventually end up like Magic Find in Diablo 2. You could load yourself with tons of MF (say 500% to 700%), but your killing speed would drop so drastically such that it made more sense to just do it with less MF but get in more runs at the same time. Likewise, while the buff is great, in practice I suspect people will happily forgo it to swop to a tuned build just to kill faster if the time savings are considerably higher.
    - You really don't get the benefit of one point wonder skills anymore such as the Nec's curses/Sorc's teleport or ice armors/Paladin auras.

It's still too early to tell, but I forsee that Blizzard will have to address these issues eventually. All in all though, from what I've played of Diablo 3, it's still a great great game.

Skills synergizing isn't really a flaw if each skill still works no matter what you choose. We'll have to see.

Preparing for a fight is yet to be determined. Sure isn't needed in the beta, even if it is possible.

The Nephelem Buff, to my understanding, is gathered by killing things. So yeah, going a kill things fast build is perfectly logical. What's the issue here?

If they design the skills right they're ALL '1 point wonders'. So far they're doing a pretty good job.

I don't see them touching any of these to any major degree. All the ACTUAL problems this game has barely get mentioned, no wonder they're making it in...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular

Go to options -> gameplay -> turn on elective mode. It lets you put stuff where you want

And I'd really like someone to tell me what their point of reference is for "not enough skills". Counting off the talent trees, the diablo 2 sorc had 26 total skills, while the diablo 3 wizard has 25 skills with 5 runes each. Dat's alot of skills

I had no idea you could do this. Thank you SO MUCH.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    I miss having more than a handful to choose from.

Are you kidding?

The beta ends at level 13. By that point the wizard has 10 spells, and multiple runes. How many spells could a Diablo 2 sorc have by level 13?

Technically? 15.

Realistically? one point each in Ice Bolt and Ice Blast, one in Static Field.

"more than a handful" in D2 means pick Frozen Orb or Blizzard.

Just for the record, I played a Glacial Spike/Meteor Sorc using no guides for the build, cherished every drop, never owned a single SOJ, and only ever leveled up to 40-something. So, yeah, the way I played and enjoyed D2 may not be representative of all D2 players, nor do I claim that D2 was a perfect game. It just feels to me like we've lost some of D2's strengths in character development in order to fix some of it's shortcomings.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I have a question that may have been asked already. If I have, say, two 7 DPS 1 hand weapons, or 1 10 DPS two hand weapon, which should I use? Do my abilities base off of my total DPS or my main hand DPS?

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Seriously this is an important option. This makes wizard so much better.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I have a question that may have been asked already. If I have, say, two 7 DPS 1 hand weapons, or 1 10 DPS two hand weapon, which should I use? Do my abilities base off of my total DPS or my main hand DPS?

I'm not sure how it works for, say, wizard spells, but with the barbarian it looks like you change off. Attack with one weapon, then the other, and so forth. So if you have two weapons with effects you want to have, it would make sense to use both.

Although I ended up just using a flamberge because it's super fun to kill whole groups of enemies and get those "7 with one blow!" bonuses. That's totally a reference to this.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I'm not sure how it works for, say, wizard spells, but with the barbarian it looks like you change off. Attack with one weapon, then the other, and so forth. So if you have two weapons with effects you want to have, it would make sense to use both.

Although I ended up just using a flamberge because it's super fun to kill whole groups of enemies and get those "7 with one blow!" bonuses. That's totally a reference to this.

Stuff like wizard spells, rapid fire for DH, etc is what I'm curious about.

• Options
    Far as I know it scales off your Damage number and since Wizard's at least don't alternate attacks with the items they can equip it just whichever setup gives you the bigger number under Damage. Demon Hunter I'd guess alternates like Barbarian, but someone feel free to verify that who's played one and tested.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Enjoying the game so far, especially with the darker, sharper overlay. The default graphics are just too bright and blurry for my taste. Withholding judgment until the full game drops whether I'll be picking it up or not.

Will have to group up with some fine PA folk tomorrow for some ol' fashioned monster killin'.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »

I had no idea you could do this. Thank you SO MUCH.

Same here. Ray of frost / arcane blow. Shit up thing here I come.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    why doesn't my royal crypts waypoint saaaaave I want to kill this guy over and over

I guess that would be too easy or something

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    Wizards and witchdoctors can't dual wield so it isn't an issue for them. I think I heard that dual wielding alternates weapons and comes with a baseline attack speed buff, but I'm not entirely sure about that. And it might work differently for some of the skills.

• Options
    It grants a 15% attack speed boost and you alternate hands with each swing. This means it's very easy to decrease your overall DPS by putting on a subpar offhand.

If I had to guess what happens with Rapid Fire, it's probably consistent with everything else, so alternating hands for each tick of damage. It would be easy enough to test with a high damage crossbow and a shitty offhand to see if there is a wide spread.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So far, I've beaten the King with Wizard, Barb, Witch Doctor, and Monk.

- Witch Doctor seems like a good idea, but is horribly underpowered so far. Which is too bad, because SPIDERS EVERYWHERE is pretty fun.
    - Barb feels super overpowered, like, holy shit that first zombie flew 10 feet overpowered. Damn, he feels like he's hitting the shit out of everything, BAM!
    - Monk w/ Teleport Fist is pretty awesome, and the heal is nice.
    - Wizard becomes infinitely more bad-ass with spectral blade. Slice slice slice.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I used the kick that hits everyone around you, never touched the heal. the kick pushes back I think

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Just finished beta with Demon Hunter.

I don't know why I've read so much negative sentiment about this class. Once you get two crossbows + multishot the class is fantastic to play.

Plus those bonus abilities actually make sense. The stealth + fastroll abilites completely compliment the playstyle of the class.

• Options
    Demon Hunter takes flak because he needs to wait the longest to get any AoE damage, and in a beta with a cap of 13 against trivial enemies, low level powerhouses like the monk kick and cleave make those classes king in this bizarre artificial environment.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Things I'm sad about

Go to options and turn on Elective Mode.

• Options
    Should really add that to the title.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was having way more fun with the Demon Hunter once I got bola shot. Also having sooo much fun with vault and caltrops.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    Got Crippling Wave for Monk. Holy shit that is awesome. AoE damage and attack speed reduction, and add to that the passive that reduces enemy damage by 25% when you damage them. That is some badass AoE debuffing shit right there.

• Options
    Scosglen wrote: »
    It grants a 15% attack speed boost and you alternate hands with each swing. This means it's very easy to decrease your overall DPS by putting on a subpar offhand.

If I had to guess what happens with Rapid Fire, it's probably consistent with everything else, so alternating hands for each tick of damage. It would be easy enough to test with a high damage crossbow and a shitty offhand to see if there is a wide spread.

After some testing I can confirm that this is exactly what happens. Rapid shot fires four attacks per activation/tick that it is channeled, and if you are dual wielding hand crossbows the four damage ticks will come from alternating hands.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    A team of 4 monks sounds like it would be the stupidest thing. Oh look we're all invulnerable, heal when we aren't, and revive if you can manage to kill us.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Also we have ALL the mantras. In fact, our Mantra is More Mantras.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    MukkMukk Registered User regular
    At first, I tried a medium to slow attack speed monk, I was rather underwhelmed. I'd expected monk to be so much fun.

Then I switched to two daggers and attack speed gear. :O You must try it.

• Options
    SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Witchdoctor is the most overpowered class in the beta, by far. Once you use the intel buff skill and get around 100 DPS, everything dies instantly. 5 stacks of the intel buff + a few intel/damage items and a 2 handed 20 dps crafted flamberge and everything else falls down. Firebats do crazy damage although I still prefer grasp of the dead because it has such a long range that you can engage monsters off screen or over long distances, which may come in handy later. Skeleton king dies in seconds.

I still love my monk though. Put a bunch of IAS gear on him and throw 2 single handed weapons and it is a goddamned speed machine.

Also, they need to lengthen the skill switch timer. The fact that I can switch skills during the skeleton king fight doesn't bode well for other boss fights later on. There should be an in combat and out of combat timer, so that if you have been in combat in the last 15 seconds then your timer is longer preventing mid-fight switches. I like the idea that the harder fights require a sacrifice - if you go in with the wrong build you will probably die, instead of being able to run off and do a skill switch.

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So I'm loving DH. The class does an absolute 180 after you get Dual 1h Crossbows, and a pair of decent rings. Things went from dying super slow, and needing to be kited, to blowing through things like every other class.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Have a feeling that inferno is going to be balanced under the assumption that a team will have a monk in it.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Squabman wrote: »
    Witchdoctor is the most overpowered class in the beta, by far. Once you use the intel buff skill and get around 100 DPS, everything dies instantly. 5 stacks of the intel buff + a few intel/damage items and a 2 handed 20 dps crafted flamberge and everything else falls down. Firebats do crazy damage although I still prefer grasp of the dead because it has such a long range that you can engage monsters off screen or over long distances, which may come in handy later. Skeleton king dies in seconds.

I still love my monk though. Put a bunch of IAS gear on him and throw 2 single handed weapons and it is a goddamned speed machine.

I just did a playthrough of Witch Doctor

MILLIONS OF JARS OF SPIDERS

Love that class.

So I assume the weapons you equip modify the damage of the jars of spiders / darts? It's a bit of a weird system where the witch doctor's concerned.

• Options
    Talith wrote: »
    Have a feeling that inferno is going to be balanced under the assumption that a team will be all monks.

Fixed that for you.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    theSquid wrote: »
    Squabman wrote: »

I just did a playthrough of Witch Doctor

MILLIONS OF JARS OF SPIDERS

Love that class.

So I assume the weapons you equip modify the damage of the jars of spiders / darts? It's a bit of a weird system where the witch doctor's concerned.

Makes as much sense as the weapons affecting Wizard spells.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »
    Basically they learned that spell casters enjoy scaling off of gear too instead of scaling well just off levels.

What? That's madness.

This discussion has been closed.