As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I have a couple of quick questions, maybe you guys could help me out? There were only two parts of the open beta that concerned me, and the biggest one was the whole "share gold between characters" thing. My wife's pretty into Diablo as well, and we'll be playing on the same computer, you know? I'm a little worried that I'll end up spending all of her damn money, lol. Do we know for sure if that's a finalized feature, or if there's a way to secure money for a particular character so that it's not shared?

The second thing I noticed was that, as a Witch Doctor, I could spam my spells all day long. My mana globe never seemed to drain unless I was using some of the big stuff. Is that intentional? Is that the way it'll be in the final game? As a Barbarian, I obviously noticed my rage going up and down. Same goes for the Monk's focus. I noticed both hatred and discipline going up and down as I used my Demon Hunter abilities, too. As a Wizard, I didn't notice any change when I was using my signature spells, but that's because they're literally free, and it says so. My mana certainly went down when I used the bigger stuff. Sometimes it went down really quickly.

So what's up with the Witch Doctor? Even though my Corpse Spiders and Grasp of the Dead say they cost X amount of mana, I can pretty much spam them and remain at 100%. Is that the way it's going to be in the final version, or is there just some insane mana regeneration available in the beta so that you get a chance to really see all of your abilities in action? I'm a little worried I'll start playing the WD after release and it'll feel totally different because I can't use my abilities as often as I'm used to.

The gold sharing is meant to be a convenience feature, just like the shared stash. The game isn't designed for multiple people to share a single account, and there is no way to turn that off, so you'll just have to work out a system with your Wife.

As for WD's mana, it's just designed to be a bit more forgiving in the low levels. His initial mana pool is low and so his regeneration is relatively high, allowing you to focus more on learning your skills than having to deal with careful resource management. As you level up and your mana pool inflates from better gear, and you have access to a broader variety of more expensive spells, managing your mana pool will become a more prominent aspect of the WD gameplay. Some spells like Poison Darts and Corpse Spiders have a negligibly low mana cost and are designed to fill a role similar to the Wizard's signature spells-- that is they have a bit less oomph but are meant to be reliable as a bread and butter attack.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I have a couple of quick questions, maybe you guys could help me out? There were only two parts of the open beta that concerned me, and the biggest one was the whole "share gold between characters" thing. My wife's pretty into Diablo as well, and we'll be playing on the same computer, you know? I'm a little worried that I'll end up spending all of her damn money, lol. Do we know for sure if that's a finalized feature, or if there's a way to secure money for a particular character so that it's not shared?

The second thing I noticed was that, as a Witch Doctor, I could spam my spells all day long. My mana globe never seemed to drain unless I was using some of the big stuff. Is that intentional? Is that the way it'll be in the final game? As a Barbarian, I obviously noticed my rage going up and down. Same goes for the Monk's focus. I noticed both hatred and discipline going up and down as I used my Demon Hunter abilities, too. As a Wizard, I didn't notice any change when I was using my signature spells, but that's because they're literally free, and it says so. My mana certainly went down when I used the bigger stuff. Sometimes it went down really quickly.

So what's up with the Witch Doctor? Even though my Corpse Spiders and Grasp of the Dead say they cost X amount of mana, I can pretty much spam them and remain at 100%. Is that the way it's going to be in the final version, or is there just some insane mana regeneration available in the beta so that you get a chance to really see all of your abilities in action? I'm a little worried I'll start playing the WD after release and it'll feel totally different because I can't use my abilities as often as I'm used to.

The gold sharing is meant to be a convenience feature, just like the shared stash. The game isn't designed for multiple people to share a single account, and there is no way to turn that off, so you'll just have to work out a system with your Wife.

As for WD's mana, it's just designed to be a bit more forgiving in the low levels. His initial mana pool is low and so his regeneration is relatively high, allowing you to focus more on learning your skills than having to deal with careful resource management. As you level up and your mana pool inflates from better gear, and you have access to a broader variety of more expensive spells, managing your mana pool will become a more prominent aspect of the WD gameplay. Some spells like Poison Darts and Corpse Spiders have a negligibly low mana cost and are designed to fill a role similar to the Wizard's signature spells-- that is they have a bit less oomph but are meant to be reliable as a bread and butter attack.

Yeah I'd have to agree with that too, you easily run out when you use fire bats or summons. I think every class design is more towards forgiving the player and making it a friendlier experience. So you get a new spell, you try it out a couple times and realize that it's not what you really want so you change back. "Oh no, I forgot that it costed mana and now I'm out and my mana regen is .1 per second." These are the kind of things that they don't want happening. Do you get mana back easily? As you've experienced, yeah it's really fast regen. Is it infinite? Most definitely not.

That being said, I'd also like to mention again that even though you're getting these concerns, Act 1 on Normal is meant to be the "Tutorial" of the game. You're supposed to feel like a powerhouse with unlimited resources because you're still learning how to play the game.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I appreciated the shared stash/gold/blacksmith. Giving each character his own gold pool and making him level up his own craftspeople would mean needlessly muling stuff back and forth between characters; no reason to spend any cash upgrading my craftsman on new characters when I could just funnel all the materials to the character with the fully-upgraded craftsman and move the crafted items back to the characters who need them. Same with the gold - the character who could make the most use of it would become the bank character.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Torgairon wrote: »
    Good luck to anyone playing demon hunter as their first, praying for that good xbow to drop while everyone else is crafting awesome new melee weapons every few levels.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/progression/#level=2

20% xp, looks like a solid crafted xbow to me

Required level : 14

But yeah you can buy an okay xbow from the merchant if one doesn't drop for ya. I got a bunch in my beta run after level 6-7, but before then kinda sucked.
    Skab wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Oooh. Here we have the character customization systems of the game explained by someone who apparently isn't a bitter asshole.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085?page=1

I have been enlightened. Go forth, fellow people who know nothing about the game beyond the number on the end and maybe having stabbed some things over the weekend, and be enlightened as well.

Now somebody come and tell me that all of his information is wrong and nothing he mentions is in the game anymore.

Yeah that's fairly outdated at this point.

"*I wrote this thread right around New Year's. Many players enjoyed reading it so I have updated/bumped it to include the recent changes.*"

"***Update 4/22***"

2 days old is outdated? Damn, son. It's actually a pretty good read for those who don't know the specific changes from 2 to 3.

Also that link has youtube links to interviews that I haven't seen before that answer a lot of the same questions that keep coming up, you guys should check it out.

I was aware of the thread but didn't know he had updated it, consdering the top of the post mentions stat and skill point stuff. Sorry.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Torgairon wrote: »
    Good luck to anyone playing demon hunter as their first, praying for that good xbow to drop while everyone else is crafting awesome new melee weapons every few levels.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/progression/#level=2

20% xp, looks like a solid crafted xbow to me

Required level : 14

But yeah you can buy an okay xbow from the merchant if one doesn't drop for ya. I got a bunch in my beta run after level 6-7, but before then kinda sucked.
    Basil wrote: »
    Oooh. Here we have the character customization systems of the game explained by someone who apparently isn't a bitter asshole.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085?page=1

I have been enlightened. Go forth, fellow people who know nothing about the game beyond the number on the end and maybe having stabbed some things over the weekend, and be enlightened as well.

Now somebody come and tell me that all of his information is wrong and nothing he mentions is in the game anymore.

Yeah that's fairly outdated at this point.

"*I wrote this thread right around New Year's. Many players enjoyed reading it so I have updated/bumped it to include the recent changes.*"

"***Update 4/22***"

2 days old is outdated? Damn, son. It's actually a pretty good read for those who don't know the specific changes from 2 to 3.

Also that link has youtube links to interviews that I haven't seen before that answer a lot of the same questions that keep coming up, you guys should check it out.

I was aware of the thread but didn't know he had updated it, consdering the top of the post mentions stat and skill point stuff. Sorry.

I also didn't mean anything by it, just poking fun because the writer said he updated it regularly. Hugs all around. <3

Did anyone try a melee DH or a battle-wizard in beta?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

Did they make it so you can bind attack to a button again? Last time I checked you couldn't completely remove skills to make a default attack.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    CorriganX wrote: »

Did they make it so you can bind attack to a button again? Last time I checked you couldn't completely remove skills to make a default attack.

I was gonna mention that. I'm confused that when you try to use a skill (say, rapid fire) with an incompatible item (say, a sword), it doesn't automatically do a normal attack but instead just displays the "can't do that skill with that weapon" error.

I haven't looked since before open, so I dunno if they added it back in.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Was curious so logged in to test it. Theres still no way to remove your skills to force left click to attack or anything. So no, a melee DH or Attacking wizard are impossible.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular

You can but it is a bit convoluted. You have to set the same skill to two different slots, then one of them will get set to the default attack. (Elective mode enabled obviously)

And if you were going to do a battle wizard you are going to be using the spectral blade skill anyways, no point in using the default attack ability. Spectral blade is a pretty good signature skill if a bit more risky due to range, so I imagine there are going to be quite a few wizards using it.

Melee DH would probably be trickier, and there were a few melee classes of weapons locked out for DH that I noticed. Some of the devices skills might work with a melee weapon though, I don't know, like grenades or something. I doubt you would use the default attack ability there either though.

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    I could be mistaken but I believe you can just grab the skill and drag it off the hotbar to make it a normal attack.

• Options
    Savant wrote: »

You can but it is a bit convoluted. You have to set the same skill to two different slots, then one of them will get set to the default attack. (Elective mode enabled obviously)

And if you were going to do a battle wizard you are going to be using the spectral blade skill anyways, no point in using the default attack ability. Spectral blade is a pretty good signature skill if a bit more risky due to range, so I imagine there are going to be quite a few wizards using it.

Melee DH would probably be trickier, and there were a few melee classes of weapons locked out for DH that I noticed. Some of the devices skills might work with a melee weapon though, I don't know, like grenades or something. I doubt you would use the default attack ability there either though.

Doesn't spec blades cost mana? That would suck for melee mages.

I was just trying to think of different builds that people won't default to. Like a dual wielding dagger DH. Something to make it more of a rogue class and less of a ranged trapper.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Right now Mana is almost identical to Arcane Power, but if you look at the Witch Doctor reveal video, you can see his mana regenerating quite slowly. I think it will definitely become a more strategic resource at higher levels.

• Options
    mEEksa wrote: »
    I could be mistaken but I believe you can just grab the skill and drag it off the hotbar to make it a normal attack.

Yeah, turns out I didnt have elective mode turned on for my hardcore character for some reason. Weird. I couldnt drag it off until I selected elective mode. The putting two of the same abilities worked too, didn't even try that earlier. So you can get your attack working, and it actual uses animations for your weapons which is kinda nice. Its nice seeing the weapons not just sitting there for no reason.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular

I was just trying to think of different builds that people won't default to. Like a dual wielding dagger DH. Something to make it more of a rogue class and less of a ranged trapper.

Spectral blade is a signature spell, so it is one of the free ones. And wizards are the ones using arcane power instead of mana.

Melee witch doctor on the other hand, that one I don't see getting much use. All of his skills are "does damage as element x" and none of them are really meleey. If you wanted something cheap manawise you'd just throw spiders at them or use the toad rune that makes it free to cast.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Talith wrote: »
    So glad leveling up is nothing like Diablo 2. Fuck the nostalgia police.
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

Spectral Blades is a signature skill, it's free. You couldn't make a melee DH because the DH doesn't have melee skills, not to mention all of their hatred building skills are ranged (hungering arrow, entangling shot, grenades, bola shot). Basically there is no way to play that class melee without taking an egregious damage loss.

Walt on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    While they made each class have it's own resource system they're pretty much all being used in the same way: Find a balance between skills that you can spam and skills that you can't.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Right now Mana is almost identical to Arcane Power, but if you look at the Witch Doctor reveal video, you can see his mana regenerating quite slowly. I think it will definitely become a more strategic resource at higher levels.

There is a talent you can equip at later levels that causes Wizard signature skills to generate arcane power. ~4 per cast, if I recall.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    And to those who still don't believe you can customize your character enough, Bashiok (the d3 forum mod) had a long conversation on the forums about it. Here's a link.

EVERYONE should read this link and it should be put in the OP. This is a very informative read and I especially love the response regarding "permanence of choices"

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Walt wrote: »
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

Spectral Blades is a signature skill, it's free. You couldn't make a melee DH because the DH doesn't have melee skills, not to mention all of their hatred building skills are ranged (hungering arrow, entangling shot, grenades, bola shot). Basically there is no way to play that class melee without taking an egregious damage loss.

Bleh. Maybe I'll roll a battle-mage then. Thanks for the blade info.

I think grenades could be considered melee enough, I was thinking like grenades, impale, fan of knives, caltrops, invis. Something like this maybe?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Fireflash wrote: »
    While they made each class have it's own resource system they're pretty much all being used in the same way: Find a balance between skills that you can spam and skills that you can't.

Good point.

On a related note, I still think the Barb has the best resource: generate it by hitting or being hit, expires when not in combat. Perfect barbarian resource. In fact the barb might be the best-designed class in the game, yet for some reason I don't wanna play him. He's kinetic, every single thing he does is awesome, his resource makes sense. But I don't think he's gonna be my first character. I think it's WD or DH and I don't know why. The DH's resources still seem a bit clunky to me, but I get why they're there.
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

I think grenades could be considered melee enough, I was thinking like "some hatred build skill", impale, fan of knives, caltrops, invis. Something like this maybe?

I like that rogue. Nice build :^:

valiance on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    valiance wrote: »
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

I think grenades could be considered melee enough, I was thinking like "some hatred build skill", impale, fan of knives, caltrops, invis. Something like this maybe?

I like that rogue. Nice build :^:

Thanks, I noticed that the stun from that vault also knocks back, so I might swap it for caltrops or spike bomb or something.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

I think grenades could be considered melee enough, I was thinking like grenades, impale, fan of knives, caltrops, invis. Something like this maybe?

I played a battle mage as my preferred build in an earlier beta. It is an absolute blast. I used Spectral Blades, Frost Nova, Diamond Skin, and I runed Ray of Frost to become a sphere of Frost around me instead. I would run into a group of enemies. Freeze them with frost nova, fire up my swirling sphere of frost, and once they unfroze I would pop diamond skin and go to town with my spectral blades.

It is my favorite build so far.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

I played a battle mage as my preferred build in an earlier beta. It is an absolute blast. I used Spectral Blades, Frost Nova, Diamond Skin, and I runed Ray of Frost to become a sphere of Frost around me instead. I would run into a group of enemies. Freeze them with frost nova, fire up my swirling sphere of frost, and once they unfroze I would pop diamond skin and go to town with my spectral blades.

It is my favorite build so far.

That sounds awesome. I'm really curious to see how these skills transfer over to PVP too. I wish they would let us beta that since it's not coming in retail.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is there going to be a demo at launch? Missed the free beta weekend and need to be able to test if my increasingly eccentric PC can handle the requisite amount of jiggawats.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

I think you have too many discipline skills. It's an extremely slowly regenerating pool(~1 per 2 sec) that doesn't have a high base maximum(20-25ish? as I recall), and doesn't have many ways to replenish it faster than it normally does. Vengeance and Nightstalker are the only ways to artificially replenish it, and Perfection slightly improves its efficiency.

You can increase max discipline through certain gear slots(quiver), but I don't think even at max level that it's going to be all that much.

You may also want to consider Archery instead of hot pursuit, as the tooltip implies that it's going to apply to everything, not just arrow shots.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Donnicton wrote: »
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

I think you have too many discipline skills. It's an extremely slowly regenerating pool(~1 per 2 sec) that doesn't have a high base maximum(20-25ish? as I recall), and doesn't have many ways to replenish it faster than it normally does. Vengeance and Nightstalker are the only ways to artificially replenish it, and Perfection slightly improves its efficiency.

You can increase max discipline through certain gear slots(quiver), but I don't think even at max level that it's going to be all that much.

You may also want to consider Archery instead of hot pursuit, as the tooltip implies that it's going to apply to everything, not just arrow shots.

Archery is only for bows, crossbows, and hand-bows according to the description. Maybe trading it out for Vengeance or Night Stalker? This is all speculation btw, I don't think I'm going to commit to a build before I see all the abilities in action.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

Archery is only for bows, crossbows, and hand-bows according to the description. Maybe trading it out for Vengeance or Night Stalker? This is all speculation btw, I don't think I'm going to commit to a build before I see all the abilities in action.

"Gain a bonus based on the weapon type of your main hand weapon."

I'm not sure what you're getting at, unless you mean to tell me you're going to be running around with greatswords.

• Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    I have a hardware question. My computer is a few years old, and it is capable of running D3 but it doesn't look too great. I'm wondering if I can do a cheap upgrade (like video card/RAM) without a complete overhaul, that will make a difference.

Here's what I have:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 Ghz
    2 Gigs of RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS

Any hardware smart people on here that could suggest where my best bet would be in terms of performace:dollars? In the beta I could get decent performance out of running at the lowest 16:10 resolution with minimized graphics settings. With vsync on, I would be at 60fps while walking through empty hallways and 30fps during combat.

If I were to upgrade the video card, would it matter? Or do I have a processor and/or RAM bottleneck?

Bit late on this, but I have the same CPU. Here are my specs, so you can compare what you'd see out of an upgrade.

Core 2 Duo @ 1.8GHz
    4GB DDR2 memory
    Nvidia 9800 GT
    Vista 32-bit

I ran at 1440x900, textures high, physics high, shadows medium, anti-aliasing and vsync disabled. There were little bits of slow down when things got crazy, but for the most part it was solid. If I have performance problems with the full game I think I can get around them by turning off shadows, or maybe setting shadows to low and physics to low. Both (I think) stress the cpu, which is my weak link.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

I'm not sure what you're getting at, unless you mean to tell me you're going to be running around with greatswords.

I'm not getting at anything, and I was thinking about dual daggers if the class allows. But the description actually says, "Gain a bonus based on the weapon type of your main hand weapon: Bow: 15% Increased damage, Crossbow: 50% Critical hit damage, Hand-Crossbow: 10% critical hit chance" I'm assuming that since they went into detail about what it does for Bows/Xbows/Handbows, that it doesn't do anything for any other main hand weapon. I could be wrong though.

Edit - The wiki says that it's only for bows and crossbows.
    Archery is a Demon Hunter passive skill unlocked at Level 30, which grants bonuses to attacks made by bows or crossbows (bonuses are based on the weapon type of your main hand).

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

I'm not getting at anything, and I was thinking about dual daggers if the class allows. But the description actually says, "Gain a bonus based on the weapon type of your main hand weapon: Bow: 15% Increased damage, Crossbow: 50% Critical hit damage, Hand-Crossbow: 10% critical hit chance" I'm assuming that since they went into detail about what it does for Bows/Xbows/Handbows, that it doesn't do anything for any other main hand weapon. I could be wrong though.

It wouldn't do anything for other weapons, no. But why exactly do you want to have daggers equipped? I would think you would want to have a bow-type equipped for the bonus. Is there something special about daggers that outweighs all of those bonuses? Keep in mind that you're not going to be meleeing with those daggers at all, you're going to be using the grenades as your primary move and hatred generator. The only way your Demon Hunter would melee is if you swapped the left or right-click move with <Default Attack>.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So how are you all planning to do your first playthrough? Full clear solo? With friends? Softcore? Hardcore? Stop to farm at points or blaze through the story? All on one character or switch between a few?

I imagine we'll need more farming than in d2 (though in HC I sometimes had to stop to farm as early as Act 2 of normal to get past duriel)

I think I'll try to beat normal softcore with one character as my first goal. I plan on beating this thing ASAP, stopping to farm only when necessary to beat something. I want to save my farming efforts for NM, Hell and Inferno. I think I want to get to max level and experience endgame content as softcore before going into hardcore. I loved hardcore in d2, but I knew that game well and had basically sucked all the juice out of it; hardcore was a way to add the spice back in. I don't know d3 at all, I'm content to explore softcore with all 5 classes before going to HC.

valiance on
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    The situation you're describing is literally the entire motivation for the Blacksmith NPC.

I wasn't trying to get all argumentative about this, just pointing out some current facts of life. I'm not talking about motivations or game theory or any high level concepts as laid out by blizzard, I'm talking about what is currently in the game. Let's say I want to use channeling skills such as rapid fire and big spender skills in the archery tree. A big hitting, slow 2H weapon is needed for such a build. Please craft one for me:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/progression/#level=1

This got me thinking about 2H weapons in general, and it feels like they are letting wizard and wd use them because if they didn't, they would effectively become barb-specific weapons. In D2 you had barb and paladin, but here we only have barb as a "natural" big weapon user.

• Options
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

It wouldn't do anything for other weapons, no. But why exactly do you want to have daggers equipped? I would think you would want to have a bow-type equipped for the bonus. Is there something special about daggers that outweighs all of those bonuses? Keep in mind that you're not going to be meleeing with those daggers at all, you're going to be using the grenades as your primary move and hatred generator. The only way your Demon Hunter would melee is if you swapped the left or right-click move with <Default Attack>.

Well, not necessarily. I'd want the daggers because that fits the melee rogue archetype. If I ever run out of hatred(which I'm sure I will after spamming impale/knives) then my right click will automatically default to regular weapon attacks. Plus having +5/+6 magic affixes for each of the daggers sounds appealing compared to +5 or +6 for a single bow/crossbow.

I could have handbows, but I'd respec completely to the default range archetype if that were the case. I'm just trying to see how viable a melee DH would be in comparison. Giving archery to a hunter that doesn't use bows/xbows, to me is a waste of a passive.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    The situation you're describing is literally the entire motivation for the Blacksmith NPC.

I wasn't trying to get all argumentative about this, just pointing out some current facts of life. I'm not talking about motivations or game theory or any high level concepts as laid out by blizzard, I'm talking about what is currently in the game. Let's say I want to use channeling skills such as rapid fire and big spender skills in the archery tree. A big hitting, slow 2H weapon is needed for such a build. Please craft one for me:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/progression/#level=1

This got me thinking about 2H weapons in general, and it feels like they are letting wizard and wd use them because if they didn't, they would effectively become barb-specific weapons. In D2 you had barb and paladin, but here we only have barb as a "natural" big weapon user.

We're precisely one expansion/DLC away from the 'I'm like a knight' class. He is conspicuous by his absence, and he will be on his way. I mean, there's not a 'I'm wearing big shiny plate armor' class. People like that class. You may not, but adding it in is the perfect way to get people to buy more stuff.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    valiance wrote: »
    So how are you all planning to do your first playthrough? Full clear solo? With friends? Softcore? Hardcore? Stop to farm at points or blaze through the story? All on one character or switch between a few?

I imagine we'll need more farming than in d2 (though in HC I sometimes had to stop to farm as early as Act 2 of normal to get past duriel)

I think I'll try to beat normal softcore with one character as my first goal. I plan on beating this thing ASAP, stopping to farm only when necessary to beat something. I want to save my farming efforts for NM, Hell and Inferno. I think I want to get to max level and experience endgame content as softcore before going into hardcore. I loved hardcore in d2, but I knew that game well and had basically sucked all the juice out of it; hardcore was a way to add the spice back in. I don't know d3 at all, I'm content to explore softcore with all 5 classes before going to HC.

Yeah, I'm probably the same way. Gonna solo normal with a wizard or dh, then co-op from there on. I want to try to explore everything in normal, make sure I don't miss anything besides those randomized events.

• Options
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

Well, not necessarily. I'd want the daggers because that fits the melee rogue archetype. If I ever run out of hatred(which I'm sure I will after spamming impale/knives) then my right click will automatically default to regular weapon attacks. Plus having +5/+6 magic affixes for each of the daggers sounds appealing compared to +5 or +6 for a single bow/crossbow.

I could have handbows, but I'd respec completely to the default range archetype if that were the case. I'm just trying to see how viable a melee DH would be in comparison. Giving archery to a hunter that doesn't use bows/xbows, to me is a waste of a passive.

But you're not actually meleeing anything. I guess I get that you're going for a theme, but it still seems strange that you're intentionally gimping your damage potential for cosmetics when you already put in that much effort to make a working grenade build as it is.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    I managed to play through the beta this weekend with all 5 classes. Not normally something I do, but I just couldn't put it down.

I'm normally a warrior type so Barbarian was a no-brainer. Smashing things has never felt so right. I really liked Demon Hunter too. They start off kinda meh, but once I got rapid fire I started loving it. I think Demon Hunter is going to be my go to Hardcore character for now. The amount of survivability/mobility they have is just so much fun. I can see them being a real bitch in PvP.

At first I felt the game was really dumbed down, but as I played it more I came to understand and love the new system. I thoroughly enjoy being able to play an RPG and not feel like I'm fucking up my character early on. My progress in RPG's with character building is usually hampered in some way because I agonize over my choices too much.

Can't wait!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

But you're not actually meleeing anything. I guess I get that you're going for a theme, but it still seems strange that you're intentionally gimping your damage potential for cosmetics when you already put in that much effort to make a working grenade build as it is.

And so it begins...

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    yes yes oldpost

you are so right

If you want a knife build, knife throwing is like the first thing Demon Hunter unlocks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I managed to play through the beta this weekend with all 5 classes. Not normally something I do, but I just couldn't put it down.

I'm normally a warrior type so Barbarian was a no-brainer. Smashing things has never felt so right. I really liked Demon Hunter too. They start off kinda meh, but once I got rapid fire I started loving it. I think Demon Hunter is going to be my go to Hardcore character for now. The amount of survivability/mobility they have is just so much fun. I can see them being a real bitch in PvP.

At first I felt the game was really dumbed down, but as I played it more I came to understand and love the new system. I thoroughly enjoy being able to play an RPG and not feel like I'm fucking up my character early on. My progress in RPG's with character building is usually hampered in some way because I agonize over my choices too much.

Can't wait!

Especially since you can't mis-click your character into ruining it like you easily could with Diablo II, up until they added respecs.

It's too bad you couldn't see Demon Hunter in CBT. Their Shadow Power used to increase attack speed, rather than life leech, and it was available within the level 13 cap. And it stacked with Rapid Fire. Fun times were to be had with the Skeleton King.

If you want a knife build, knife throwing is like the first thing Demon Hunter unlocks.

Yeah, and you don't actually have to have knives equipped to use it. :bz

Donnicton on
This discussion has been closed.