As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    BhaalenBhaalen Registered User regular
    Suckafish wrote: »
    If beta is anything to go by, only weapon will matter early. If I were racing through I'd go for max DPS weapon and +XP and +gold on everything else, even if it meant sacrificing defense. At least until shit starts to get real.

Yeah, we are going for a quick normal run. He's going dual wield barb, and I'm going dual wield monk with dps mantra and passives until
    hell. In hell, shits gonna get real I'm sure. From that point on we are dropping the gold find, dps mantra/passives/dual wield and running tanky barb with defensive mantra/passives. We have a small disadvantage in damage from a 4 man group, but I think that will be offset by the likely hood of them wiping more due to coordination issues and the fact that an individual mob will be 3 times as hard for 1 player to kill.

In the open beta, 4 man felt harder when playing with randoms due to coordination issues. If inferno is as hard as they say (and its seems it will be) then a 4 man group will have to focus more on coordination then we will, yet we still have a buff advantage over singleplayer. I really think its the sweet spot.

Be careful. Your productivity will drop if you click this link.
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    RMAH is a good way to keep the intellectual parts of the brain involved in what will be an escapist click-fest 90% of the time.

It'll fill the left brain 5% and the lore and voice-acting will fill the right brain 5%.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    It's kind of depressing to me in an action rpg game that everyone is getting all excited about grinding stuff early to capitalize on the money aspect.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see people shelling out a lot of cash to get a crafted item off an auction house. You never know until you try though, I guess.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people see an Auction House and start salivating at playing the economic side of the game.

Personally I don't think that it's going to be as complex or fruitful as playing the WoW auction house, but we'll see.

Determining the true value of an item could actually be incredibly complex because of how many random possibilities there are. Having the game knowledge to tell which items are ideal for the most popular builds and how much that's worth could really pay off.

• Options
    It's kind of depressing to me in an action rpg game that everyone is getting all excited about grinding stuff early to capitalize on the money aspect.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see people shelling out a lot of cash to get a crafted item off an auction house. You never know until you try though, I guess.

It shouldn't be depressing to you how other people want to play the game. Especially since it won't affect your enjoyment at all.

You can craft REALLY good items. comparable to early inferno drops.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Different strokes for different folks. Some people see an Auction House and start salivating at playing the economic side of the game.

Personally I don't think that it's going to be as complex or fruitful as playing the WoW auction house, but we'll see.

Determining the true value of an item could actually be incredibly complex because of how many random possibilities there are. Having the game knowledge to tell which items are ideal for the most popular builds and how much that's worth could really pay off.

Possibly. I dunno. The complex and interesting part of the WoW market was never equipment, but commodities. Ore, gems, enchanting materials, herbs, and other crafting materials. That may have been because, by and large, the best gear wasn't BoE, except some crafted stuff. And of course the best stuff was static, not random.

Finding a sword that is ideal only equals money if everyone knows it's ideal. I suppose you could hold on to items that you predict will be popular soon based on upcoming patches and trends and then...my brain starts to hurt.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Bhaalen wrote: »
    Suckafish wrote: »
    If beta is anything to go by, only weapon will matter early. If I were racing through I'd go for max DPS weapon and +XP and +gold on everything else, even if it meant sacrificing defense. At least until shit starts to get real.

Yeah, we are going for a quick normal run. He's going dual wield barb, and I'm going dual wield monk with dps mantra and passives until
    hell. In hell, shits gonna get real I'm sure. From that point on we are dropping the gold find, dps mantra/passives/dual wield and running tanky barb with defensive mantra/passives. We have a small disadvantage in damage from a 4 man group, but I think that will be offset by the likely hood of them wiping more due to coordination issues and the fact that an individual mob will be 3 times as hard for 1 player to kill.

In the open beta, 4 man felt harder when playing with randoms due to coordination issues. If inferno is as hard as they say (and its seems it will be) then a 4 man group will have to focus more on coordination then we will, yet we still have a buff advantage over singleplayer. I really think its the sweet spot.
    It depends on their coordination. Or really, thier ability to stay in the same area.

Because monsters don't get a bonus to damage the larger groups ability to split their aggro/damage is better than the small party's. And the health scaling of monsters to damage dealing capability of the party further diminishes the closer you get to 4 players.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    I'm definitely going to have to remain flexible on this. If I'm wrong and gold prices are weak, then it's getting pumped into artisans. The point is, if I'm right, then I make money and buy good gear. If I'm wrong I fast level artisans and get hold over gear. Looking at the total cost to level JC (140,000) It might get leveled anyway sometime in Hell difficulty. It all depends on something I can't know yet, and that's the price of gold in weeks 2-6.

Yeah, the first few weeks definitely seem like where the gold demand will be the highest. From those links, the cost in gold for max level blacksmith is almost 600k by the time you're done. Jeweler seems like a bargain at 140k.

So if you skip them both you'll be selling that 740k for probably the best $$ rate you'll ever be able to get for gold. So that's a good plan if you're looking to maximize the amount of blizzard bucks you'll get for your gold.

That being said, level 60 rares are also going to be listed for probably stupid amounts of $$ during the first few weeks because the people who leveled quickly enough and geared themselves well enough to successfully farm will be small, and the demand will probably also be the highest it will get with people pushing to be cool enough to progress in inferno. Also, until things stabilize a bit in the RMAH, people will probably be hedging their bets by initially guessing higher prices rather than lower and adjusting down when they re-list if they don't sell at the initial price.

So I don't know if the $$ you'll get from the gold, even at really good prices, is worth missing out on being able to roll your own rares either to fill out sub-par gear slots or sell on the rmah. And, of course, like you said, there's no guarantee that the rare you craft for the slot is going to be a good item for you, but the odds are in your favor that it'll be better than, say, a level 55 blue in that same slot.

One thing that probably would work is to just d/e the drops you can't sell and save the mats. There's nothing preventing you from trading them to someone who has leveled up their blacksmith to max level and have them craft something for you. You'd just need to trust that person to give you the item(s) back as there'd be no real way to do that securely. That way you avoid the expense of leveling your own artisan and still can get a few items crafted to fill in your weak slots if need be.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    If the SK is any indication, more players could be very helpful for bosses to dive their attention and the damage they're throwing around.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    So that new tv spot (the second one)

I don't know about you guys, but I definitely saw:
    two angels throwing down.

Fuck yes. I want to pluck Tyrael's wings from his stupid back.
    Imperius is fighting more than just Tyreal in that video. He's throwing down with Diablo at one point as well.

Dude has clearly run out of fucks to give.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Guys what if, in the ultimate Blizzard plot twist, Diablo is the good guy in D3?!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Skab wrote: »
    Guys what if, in the ultimate Blizzard plot twist, Diablo is the good guy in D3?!

Spoiler! Leah is Diablo!

Bhaalen on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I accidentally just saw the order placed on amazon by my wife for Diablo 3 for my birthday. Eeeeeeeeeeee :D

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular

This would make so little sense. Now if it turns out that heaven is just as full of assholes as hell is...

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    I accidentally just saw the order placed on amazon by my wife for Diablo 3 for my birthday. Eeeeeeeeeeee :D

Me too! Except for me, it was 'this is what you're getting me for my birthday', so I kind of already knew about my copy... :|
    When's your birthday?! I'm in two days...and have pretty much no special plans! I would take it off, but D3 won't be out yet. :cry:

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote: »

This would make so little sense. Now if it turns out that heaven is just as full of assholes as hell is...

Well the angels wanted to wipe out Sanctuary as well. You can thank Tyrael for them not doing it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    I realized I could never hang with people who want world-first achievements after trying to be at the top of the Diablo 2 ladder for Druids when LoD came out. My friend and I were in the top 10 for like 15 hours...pretty sure we napped and then we had no chance ;)

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

In all their book canon and what not, Heaven is basically on par with Hell for dickery. They are all dicks. Dongs, even.

Wanna know the short and sweet origin of Sanctuary and humans as established thus far?

The High Heavens and Hell have been at war forever plus one. A really long time.

A high ranking angel and demon get bored of this, so they decide to make their own world, hidden from both Heaven and Hell using a (or The with a big capital letter) World Stone. Other angels and demons are invited to the party, they fuck like bunnies and have lots of kids, everything is wonderful. Heaven and Hell are still at war.

These kids grow up and look like they might end up as powerful as their parents, if not more so. This is sort of a big deal, as up til now nothing had survived long enough to earn this distinction, because Heaven and Hell have a habit of blowing up anything interesting they find during their eternal war.

The angel who started up Sanctuary thinks the kids are a threat and wants to kill them, but the demon wants to raise them as an army. To prevent him from murdering them all, she kills every last demon and angel on Sanctuary apart from her lover, assuming that he could not bear to live alone on his world.

He banishes her to the eternal void for her trouble. Then, because he's a dick, he tweaks the World Stone such that it slowly sucks the divine power out of all future generations living on Sanctuary.

From here on it descends into a spiral of horrible books, but when all is said and done Mephisto, ruler of Hell and chief troll of the universe, convinces Heaven not to nuke Sanctuary from orbit and all the humans are mind wiped and left largely to their own devices except not really because the lesser evils are dicks too.

So at the end of Diablo 2 Tyreal blew up the magic rock that was preventing the people of Sanctuary from rivaling the Angels and Demons in power, and the Prime Evils were all temporarily indisposed and now a lesser evil, Asmodan, and the forces of Heaven are going BANANAS.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Smoogy wrote: »
    I realized I could never hang with people who want world-first achievements after trying to be at the top of the Diablo 2 ladder for Druids when LoD came out. My friend and I were in the top 10 for like 15 hours...pretty sure we napped and then we had no chance ;)

Awwww so close. Knowing the way reality doesn't like bending to my will, something along the lines of this happening is likely. That's definitely NOT going to hold us back though. We're giving this more then our all.

• Options
    Spoiler! Leah is Diablo!
    Hi yes I hope you know that spoilers shouldn't be outside of tags.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Spoiler! Leah is Diablo!

It was a joke?

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    So, this is mildly upsetting. I double-checked my Amazon.com order for the D3 CE and found that my delivery address is incorrect, if only slightly. Instead of being listed correctly as XXXX W. blahblah, it's listed as XXXX E. blah blah. Now, I've determined that the 'E. blahblah' address doesn't actually exist, so there shouldn't be much chance that the item will be delivered to the wrong address (should there?), but I contacted Amazon just to fix it and be on the safe side. Unfortunately, if I were to fix the address, I lose release day shipping.

So, either I roll the dice and hope that my CE arrives on day 1 as listed or I change the address, pay for shipping and wait the additional day. Fudge.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Why would you lose release date shipping? Can't you modify then address then go back to shipping speed and change it back?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Why would you lose release date shipping? Can't you modify then address then go back to shipping speed and change it back?
    An excellent query. Unfortunately no, I tried it. For whatever reason, as soon as you attempt to change the shipping address, even if just to change that stupid E. to a less-stupid W., the option for Release Day shipping vanishes into the ether. I can't explain it, and evidently neither can the fine CSR I spoke with at Amazon.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Aumni wrote: »

Well the angels wanted to wipe out Sanctuary as well. You can thank Tyrael for them not doing it.

Wait....most Angels aren't assholes?

This is news to me. I mean, I knew the prime evils were doing it for the evululz. I just assumed so was most of Heaven.

EDIT: That sucks, Halfmex. I think I placed my order for the CE too early to allow for release-date shipping anyway. :( Oh well, I'm sure the servers are going to be hell first day anyway.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Bullio wrote: »
    An excellent query. Unfortunately no, I tried it. For whatever reason, as soon as you attempt to change the shipping address, even if just to change that stupid E. to a less-stupid W., the option for Release Day shipping vanishes into the ether. I can't explain it, and evidently neither can the fine CSR I spoke with at Amazon.

Ugh...Amazon. I had a debacle over the weekend. Placed an order for an item on Saturday (ie won't ship until Monday). I got a gift card for my birthday and so wanted to simply change my payment method on Sunday (should be easy?).
    Turns out no, I can't. So I had to fully cancel the order, then reorder with my gift card. And of course, even though the thing hadn't moved, let alone been processed, my shipping got kicked back 2-3 days...lame sauce.

In other news:
    Cannot wait for this game to be here!!!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Second commercial. EW exclusive so you gotta go through them:

EDIT: See No Great Name's link below

Inarious and Tyrael going at it? Me likes.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Spoiler! Leah is Diablo!

It was a joke?
    That's what you think.

sirtoons.png
  • Options

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/05/01/diablo-3-tv-spot-exclusive-video/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lf8OQnwwqA

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I'm calling it -
    Inarius as last boss

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Well, I for one hope Blizzard won't beat the plot twists into our heads and run it into the ground. Diablo as the ultimate baddie is enough thank you.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm looking forward to invading the High Heavens in an expansion and murdering all the angels to death. All of them.

They have it coming, really. Anything with that many tentacles sticking out of its back is bound to get stabbed by a hero eventually.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    So I've been playing through Diablo 1 the last few days. Such a different feel than 2 had. It's like Alien and Aliens.

EDIT: See No Great Name's link below

Posted two pages back :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Need to watch the thread closer.

• Options
    Angels in the Diablo universe are just spirits of light and sound, so murdering them will prove to be difficult.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    So, this is mildly upsetting. I double-checked my Amazon.com order for the D3 CE and found that my delivery address is incorrect, if only slightly. Instead of being listed correctly as XXXX W. blahblah, it's listed as XXXX E. blah blah. Now, I've determined that the 'E. blahblah' address doesn't actually exist, so there shouldn't be much chance that the item will be delivered to the wrong address (should there?), but I contacted Amazon just to fix it and be on the safe side. Unfortunately, if I were to fix the address, I lose release day shipping.

So, either I roll the dice and hope that my CE arrives on day 1 as listed or I change the address, pay for shipping and wait the additional day. Fudge.

Try calling them. They have very good customer support in my experience.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Chen wrote: »
    Angels in the Diablo universe are just spirits of light and sound, so murdering them will prove to be difficult.

The Barbarian has proven that if you hit something hard enough with an axe and shout at it really loud, it will die eventually. Even if dying is more a case of being sent on an impromptu vacation in deep space.

Besides, demons are stated to have scragged tons of em in the new glorious continuity. They're on even ground. I'll betcha most of the angels don't even have proper tentacles!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Zek wrote: »

Indeed.

I'm quite excited about the different auction houses. I like the idea of, for example, buying gold on the RMAH to use to buy items on the other auction house, which I then repost on the RMAH for a profit.

Over time that'll even out, but for the first few weeks I think it'll be a blast to make those sorts of transactions, and watch as the economy starts to stabilize.

Also, watching the prices for materials / items. It'll be like in WoW, where a person buys a green to disenchant into mats that sell for more than the item.

I find that sort of thing to be enjoyable.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Spoiler! Leah is Diablo!

It was a joke?

Calling it: Deckard Cain was Diablo the whole time.

• Options
    Basil wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »

The Barbarian has proven that if you hit something hard enough with an axe and shout at it really loud, it will die eventually. Even if dying is more a case of being sent on an impromptu vacation in deep space.

Besides, demons are stated to have scragged tons of em in the new glorious continuity. They're on even ground. I'll betcha most of the angels don't even have proper tentacles!

Yes, let your misguided rage loose on everything that as much as looks at you funny. You shall serve as an exquisite meatshield.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Spoiler! Leah is Diablo!

It was a joke?

Calling it: Deckard Cain was Diablo the whole time.

Or was Diablo Deckard Cain? OMG now it all makes sense!

This discussion has been closed.