As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    I tried clicking the "Diablo III Setup" icon and the progress bar froze after a few seconds. Will it just magically work on Monday?

No, I don't think so. I had this problem in beta and it involved finding and deleting a file. I needed to change my folder options to see hidden files before I could find it. I forget the details, but google "diablo 3 setup stuck" and you should be able to find some threads that discuss the issue.

For the record, you should be able to get to a little window with install, manual, and exit buttons on it. Clicking install will pop up some message about the game not being released yet.

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Hardcore appeals to me in the worst sort of way. I think it's the adrenaline rush of knowing a boss fight actually means something. But I think it will take a special brand of crazy to play hardcore beyond normal difficulty.

People with hardcore banner adornments will have my deepest respect.

• Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    Unless it's an improvement in gear and I can use it, I'm selling fucking everything. I want my Exhaulted Bracksmiff as soon as possible.

But then you won't have any crafting materials! No idea how it is going to work as the game progresses, but in the early stages I easily pushed the blacksmith items past my current character level.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Azreus wrote: »
    I don't know what the timeout is on pulling your network cable out, but I can't see it ever working out well in a boss fight. I'm probably the last guy to realize this stuff, but that's quite a sobering thought.
    No matter what you do, your character stays in the game for 10 more seconds.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Suckafish wrote: »
    Unless it's an improvement in gear and I can use it, I'm selling fucking everything. I want my Exhaulted Bracksmiff as soon as possible.

But then you won't have any crafting materials! No idea how it is going to work as the game progresses, but in the early stages I easily pushed the blacksmith items past my current character level.

Yeah early beta was really really easy to level your blacksmith so we could test crafting the later stages. However, it is completely different now. I read something like 650,000 gold to get to level 10. Also, crafting pages don't drop until nightmare+ anyway.

The way I see it is that the early blacksmith levels kind of suck for crafting items anyway. You find better gear on the ground. I think it's better to pick up whatever blues you don't need and just sell em off. Unless I really want to craft something, I'll either end up going to the merchants or using dropped gear.

jdarksun wrote: »
    Goldfind is actually the best method to get gold. MF is the best method to get items/crafting resources.
    What are Goldfind and MF? +Gold Find and +Magic Find?

Yeah it'll say on the item something like 10% increase gold find or 5% increase magic find.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It's easy to say you won't ever need to craft stuff as you level up, but one of the reasons they added crafting is to control the randomness of loot acquisition. In D2 you could have a really tough time even on Normal if you don't happen to find the right gear. I think it will really help a lot to be able to able to fill in the gaps in your found loot by crafting.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Invictus wrote: »
    Given my experience with the Hardcore players who I respect most, I think Blizzard might be under some obligation to make Hardcore unfair.

Pretty much. Most of the serious hardcore players I know want it to be brutal as hell. They want the feeling of accomplishment involved.

The thing that confuses me most about this are the Hardcore HARDCORE players... who also brag about their alt-f4/save&exit speed.

I respect those who fought with the sword of damocles hovering over their head. Significantly less respect for those who were just fast enough to use an all out "nyah nyah can't kill me" button combo whenever things looked a bit grim.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Goldfind is actually the best method to get gold. MF is the best method to get items/crafting resources.
    What are Goldfind and MF? +Gold Find and +Magic Find?

wow I totally forgot no one might know those acronyms

Yes.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Zek wrote: »
    It's easy to say you won't ever need to craft stuff as you level up, but one of the reasons they added crafting is to control the randomness of loot acquisition. In D2 you could have a really tough time even on Normal if you don't happen to find the right gear. I think it will really help a lot to be able to able to fill in the gaps in your found loot by crafting.

The chances of having a tough time in normal D2(for me anyways) was pretty slim. I almost always found decent gear that dropped off of the bosses/elites. I do agree that if you need something and you can craft it, you probably should. I'm just trying to funnel my gold completely to leveling up the blacksmith and repairing my gear, instead of on things that I can pick up while I'm playing.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Yeah this will totally change the dynamics of fighting a boss in hardcore. You'll have to be sure you're powerful enough to take the boss. Once you enter the boss room, you win or you die.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    so hype.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    The way I see it is that the early blacksmith levels kind of suck for crafting items anyway. You find better gear on the ground.
    Say what? I don't think I ever found, say, good magic shoulders by level 9 or whenever I could craft them.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Yeah this will totally change the dynamics of fighting a boss in hardcore. You'll have to be sure you're powerful enough to take the boss. Once you enter the boss room, you win or you die.

"Player EdStark has begun the boss fight against King Joffrey - would you like to fight by his side?"

• Options
    I don't know if this came up before since it's a few days old, but I saw this last night:
    Jay Wilson wrote:
    Is there any particular reason you stuck with the Diablo 2 style controls, instead of having a traditional KB+M option?
    Like a WASD setup? I'm going to assume that's what they mean... and yes, we played around with it, and we thought it felt awkward. When you are trying to take direct control over an isometric character... if you think about an FPS, where you use WASD, you have an analogue input, which is the mouse. When you think about in terms of the Diablo-style, your mouse becomes your aim, not a control mechanism; so you have no analogue input. You're literally talking about a character that can only move on eight axes - it works, but it doesn't feel awesome.

So when we looked at games that did it, and we played around with it a little, we thought it felt kinda clumsy. To us, that's not Blizzard-quality; so we said, no, we're not going to do it. We even had some people who said, 'Well, how about we support it?', and I would say that the hardest thing you will do, to get right in a game, is controls, and the worst mistake you could ever make is to have two control schemes; you're basically taking the hardest thing in your game, and doubling it.
    Both of the bold comments made me "wat."

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I dunno, I see what's he's saying. With a lot of games we consider "skill based", much of that skill is purely mechanical, in how well you can work the controls.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I dunno, I see what's he's saying. With a lot of games we consider "skill based", much of that skill is purely mechanical, in how well you can work the controls.

I have no idea what you're talking about. That doesn't make any sense.

<.<

>.>

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    forty wrote: »
    I don't know if this came up before since it's a few days old, but I saw this last night:
    Jay Wilson wrote:
    Is there any particular reason you stuck with the Diablo 2 style controls, instead of having a traditional KB+M option?
    Like a WASD setup? I'm going to assume that's what they mean... and yes, we played around with it, and we thought it felt awkward. When you are trying to take direct control over an isometric character... if you think about an FPS, where you use WASD, you have an analogue input, which is the mouse. When you think about in terms of the Diablo-style, your mouse becomes your aim, not a control mechanism; so you have no analogue input. You're literally talking about a character that can only move on eight axes - it works, but it doesn't feel awesome.

So when we looked at games that did it, and we played around with it a little, we thought it felt kinda clumsy. To us, that's not Blizzard-quality; so we said, no, we're not going to do it. We even had some people who said, 'Well, how about we support it?', and I would say that the hardest thing you will do, to get right in a game, is controls, and the worst mistake you could ever make is to have two control schemes; you're basically taking the hardest thing in your game, and doubling it.

He's saying that making a control scheme feel perfectly polished is very hard, and having to do that for two of them is twice as hard. Very few games offer to let you make fundamental changes to the controls like that outside of rebinding buttons and changing sensitivity, and when they do often one (or both) of the methods doesn't feel very good. Also I believe they've said elsewhere that WASD controls would be a competitive advantage and they didn't like it enough to make it the preferred control method.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I'm totally going to run HDMI to my tv so I can play on big screen with surround sound. It shall be glorious.
    And also I can't wait for this game to come out.

I fully plan on running Barb out the gate, but I really enjoyed playing Monk on the free weekend. Who am I kidding, I'm ADD and going to play them all.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    AzreusAzreus Registered User regular
    Azreus wrote: »
    I hate to be that guy but I've just realized that hardcore players, when they start the fight with the Skeleton King... that is really a 1-way thing. You can't portal out, can't run away etc. There's seriously no way out of that room so, once you engage the guy, it's actually a fight to the death?

I don't know how many bosses are like that in terms of the zero-escape nature of the set up, but I think a lot of them are. In beta, if the SK was engaged, everyone in the game got a pop up window asking if they wanted to join in (no matter where they were in the game world). If you did, free teleport and you get to join in the boss fight. If not, you were preventd from entering the chamber until that fight was over. So, if Blizz has gone to the trouble of developing that query-teleport-lockout system once... I imagine it's implemented in a fair number of places.

I don't know what the timeout is on pulling your network cable out, but I can't see it ever working out well in a boss fight. I'm probably the last guy to realize this stuff, but that's quite a sobering thought.

Yep, Hardcore in D3 is going to be serious business. None of D2's tricks - you can't TP escape from a fight, you can't spam potions, and you can't get out of boss fights period. It's going to be super hard even before you ever touch Inferno, which itself should be all but impossible.

I've never been a hardcore D2 player, but that is somehow really appealing to me. Probably going to end up running SC and HC in parallel.

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    tumblr_m3rkipyujG1r4ajvvo1_1280.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I find the news post that goes along with that comic very good. Though, he's a bit late to the "never buy retail PC games again" party...I haven't bought a boxed PC game (outside of CE's) since Steam became a thing.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    He's saying that making a control scheme feel perfectly polished is very hard, and having to do that for two of them is twice as hard. Very few games offer to let you make fundamental changes to the controls like that outside of rebinding buttons and changing sensitivity, and when they do often one (or both) of the methods doesn't feel very good.

Yeah, this, basically. The first thing that popped into my mind when I read that quote from him was WoW's "click to move" option which nobody I've ever met who plays the game uses. It's an alternative movement setup, much like WASD would be for Diablo, but the game is designed around WASD, so the click to move feels clunky and counter-intuitive.

Similarly, and this is probably 75% or more nostalgia/rose-colored glasses, so skip if you'd like, Diablo wouldn't feel like Diablo to me with WASD movement. Click to move is just part of the extremely streamlined UI that allows for the fast-paced clickfest that feels like Diablo. The game/skills/etc are designed with this in mind, and while I can certainly see how WASD would work, and would actually make some things easier, I'm happy he's taking the stance he is on this.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    If they end up doing a console version, I want them to add controller support for the PC version. I like playing games like this with a controller.

• Options
    He's saying that making a control scheme feel perfectly polished is very hard, and having to do that for two of them is twice as hard. Very few games offer to let you make fundamental changes to the controls like that outside of rebinding buttons and changing sensitivity, and when they do often one (or both) of the methods doesn't feel very good.

Yeah, this, basically. The first thing that popped into my mind when I read that quote from him was WoW's "click to move" option which nobody I've ever met who plays the game uses. It's an alternative movement setup, much like WASD would be for Diablo, but the game is designed around WASD, so the click to move feels clunky and counter-intuitive.

Similarly, and this is probably 75% or more nostalgia/rose-colored glasses, so skip if you'd like, Diablo wouldn't feel like Diablo to me with WASD movement. Click to move is just part of the extremely streamlined UI that allows for the fast-paced clickfest that feels like Diablo. The game/skills/etc are designed with this in mind, and while I can certainly see how WASD would work, and would actually make some things easier, I'm happy he's taking the stance he is on this.
    /agree

• Options
    I find the news post that goes along with that comic very good. Though, he's a bit late to the "never buy retail PC games again" party...I haven't bought a boxed PC game (outside of CE's) since Steam became a thing.

I bought SC2 in a box, and Alice Madness Returns before it was on Steam. I should have gotten that for xbox though.

• Options

I bought SC2 in a box, and Alice Madness Returns before it was on Steam. I should have gotten that for xbox though.

I bought SC2 in a box because I have the CE, hehe. Same with all the WoW expansions. Other than those though (and my D3 CE), I haven't bought a box PC game in a while.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Jay Wilson wrote:

He's saying that making a control scheme feel perfectly polished is very hard, and having to do that for two of them is twice as hard.
    For some games, sure -- like a driving game or a GTA/Saints Row/Just Cause 2. For Diablo 3? That's a massive exaggeration. The controls are just a small iteration from D2. There's absolutely no way at all that the controls were one of the hardest things for them to get right in D3. Anyone who played D3 back at Blizzcon in 2008 can tell you that the controls have barely changed at all. Meanwhile, quite a few other aspects of the game have changed pretty significantly since then. Hell, they've come out and admitted that they've spent far more time on the rune/skill system than anything else in D3.
    Zek wrote:
    Very few games offer to let you make fundamental changes to the controls like that outside of rebinding buttons and changing sensitivity, and when they do often one (or both) of the methods doesn't feel very good.
    This is a very specious claim. "Very few?" There are plenty of PC games that support keyboard/mouse controls or a controller, for example. Also, there's nothing really wrong with giving people another option, even if it isn't ideal, especially when the base control scheme keeps some people from even being able to enjoy the game (Carpal Tunnel sufferers, for example). Furthermore, he states that "the worst mistake you could ever make is to have two control schemes." Jay Wilson can literally walk up or down a flight or two of stairs from his office (I don't know exactly how Blizzard HQ is laid out) and be in the development area of a genre-crushing game that has had two control schemes for nearly 8 years. WoW made a huge mistake with its control options?
    Zek wrote:
    Also I believe they've said elsewhere that WASD controls would be a competitive advantage and they didn't like it enough to make it the preferred control method.
    I had not seen anything about this, and it seems strange he wouldn't bring it up here if that were the case instead of saying things that make little sense.

forty on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    The way I see it is that the early blacksmith levels kind of suck for crafting items anyway. You find better gear on the ground.
    Say what? I don't think I ever found, say, good magic shoulders by level 9 or whenever I could craft them.

It went both ways for me, depending on the class. If you wanted a shield, the best ones were crafted at level 8 or 9. The Fence had the best one-handed crossbows which did TWICE the dps of the crafted model. It was really rare for me to see head gear drop and when it did it was white. But I could craft a kickass magic helm at level 10. For awhile in the beta you could craft a rare wizard's book offhander which nearly made the game too easy for that class (probably why they removed it). You couldn't craft a barb scythe at all and the best crafted weapon was a mediocre 2 hander.

It will be interesting to see how the crafting itemization will change between beta and retail. I honestly don't think it will matter much for the first 15 levels or so. So much stuff drops you're bound to find something useful if you're not being overly picky. But it is nice to know that crafting is a safety net of sorts when your luck just isn't holding up.

Has anyone else noticed that crafting has become the new gambling? I've burned through dozens of crafting mats in one go trying to get an item with the right stats for my class.

• Options
    To be fair, Tycho isn't really late to the party. He's made posts like this since a few years ago.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Alright I went and did the dirty work for some of you.
    When Bashiok says "in most situations," he means people who do not have the World of Warcraft Annual Pass. Annual Pass holders gets Diablo III for free, and if they purchase D3 CE and attach the code, they get 4 months of WoW for free instead of an extra key.

Right now, we are still planning to have a feature where you can overwrite your Standard Key with the CE Key. Worst case scenario is that you won't be able to do it online and will have to call us... which you'd have to do anyway to get the Standard Edition Key

No more wondering what Bashiok meant. If you overwrite a standard key with a CE, and you actually bought your digital version instead of getting it with the annual pass, you can get a key back. It's not a refund, so you're still responsible for finding a way to unload your new extra copy.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Jay Wilson wrote:

He's saying that making a control scheme feel perfectly polished is very hard, and having to do that for two of them is twice as hard.
    For some games, sure -- like a driving game or a GTA/Saints Row/Just Cause 2. For Diablo 3? That's a massive exaggeration. The controls are just a small iteration from D2. There's absolutely no way at all that the controls were one of the hardest things for them to get right in D3. Anyone who played D3 back at Blizzcon in 2008 can tell you that the controls have barely changed at all. Meanwhile, quite a few other aspects of the game have changed pretty significantly since then. Hell, they've come out and admitted that they've spent far more time on the rune/skill system than anything else in D3.
    Zek wrote:
    Very few games offer to let you make fundamental changes to the controls like that outside of rebinding buttons and changing sensitivity, and when they do often one (or both) of the methods doesn't feel very good.
    This is a very specious claim. "Very few?" There are plenty of PC games that support keyboard/mouse controls or a controller, for example. Also, there's nothing really wrong with giving people another option, even if it isn't ideal, especially when the base control scheme keeps some people from even being able to enjoy the game (Carpal Tunnel sufferers, for example). Furthermore, he states that "the worst mistake you could ever make is to have two control schemes." Jay Wilson can literally walk up or down a flight or two of stairs from his office (I don't know exactly how Blizzard HQ is laid out) and be in the development area of a genre-crushing game that has had two control schemes for nearly 8 years. WoW made a huge mistake with its control options?
    Zek wrote:
    Also I believe they've said elsewhere that WASD controls would be a competitive advantage and they didn't like it enough to make it the preferred control method.
    I had not seen anything about this, and it seems strange he wouldn't bring it up here if that were the case instead of saying things that make little sense.

Controller support is obviously necessary for console ports, but fundamentally it's not much different from mouse/keyboard for a shooter. One stick maps to WASD and the other stick maps to pushing the mouse around, it's the same thing. WASD in Diablo on the other hand is a fundamental change in how you control your character, by separating it completely from the aiming mechanism. Diablo is designed from the ground up around mouse controls - note for example that there are no abilities that let you aim while moving. Twin stick shooter controls wouldn't feel right when every time you fire your character stops moving IMO. Technically though it would be an advantage, which means by including it they are effectively encouraging players to choose an experience they consider less fun.

• Options
    charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular
    "One of the Chosen" Feat of Strength given to closed beta testers:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4888689240#1

4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I'm definitely in the "let me set up my controls in whatever demented set-up I want" boat, but I agree that WASD would be kind of dumb for the game. Now, movement on an analog stick would make all kinds of sense in Diablo. Also, didn't Diablo 1 (maybe 2 as well? I can't remember) only have movements in the 8 cardinal directions despite using the mouse to move?

true story, I once bound every key bordering on WASD, BNM, and, 1-5, ctrl,alt,space to +kill in counterstrike just to train my muscle memory in the most hilariously rage inducing manner.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Alright I went and did the dirty work for some of you.
    When Bashiok says "in most situations," he means people who do not have the World of Warcraft Annual Pass. Annual Pass holders gets Diablo III for free, and if they purchase D3 CE and attach the code, they get 4 months of WoW for free instead of an extra key.

Right now, we are still planning to have a feature where you can overwrite your Standard Key with the CE Key. Worst case scenario is that you won't be able to do it online and will have to call us... which you'd have to do anyway to get the Standard Edition Key

No more wondering what Bashiok meant. If you overwrite a standard key with a CE, and you actually bought your digital version instead of getting it with the annual pass, you can get a key back. It's not a refund, so you're still responsible for finding a way to unload your new extra copy.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, this is GOOD for me. I was going to buy a friend a copy anyway, but if my CE is going to be late, I'll just buy his copy, and then call Blizzard and do the key change out.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    FYI for anyone preloading Diablo 3... When I disabled peer to peer my download speed went up from 1.5MB to 2MB /sec... It looked like the peer to peer traffic was saturating my uplink which was actually causing the download to slow down.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely in the "let me set up my controls in whatever demented set-up I want" boat, but I agree that WASD would be kind of dumb for the game. Now, movement on an analog stick would make all kinds of sense in Diablo. Also, didn't Diablo 1 (maybe 2 as well? I can't remember) only have movements in the 8 cardinal directions despite using the mouse to move?

Diablo 1 had a version on playstation. I didnt play it, so cant recall how well it went.

Sacred 2 which is a Diablo clone was also on consoles.

It totally can be done. I personally would still want mouse cause it works absolutely fine that way. Also any aimed type spells would blow goats on a joystick.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Diablo 1 was 8-way move and it feels pretty bad today. I don't know how many "directions" Diablo 2's engine broke its movement down into but it was essentially analog movement.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    "One of the Chosen" Feat of Strength given to closed beta testers:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4888689240#1

That thread is fantastic.
    Anyone else feelin like a second class citizen right now?
    Today you have spat into a loyal fans face. I mean yeah I see you guys are trying to do something nice but they got into beta. Why should they get more?
    This move just completely invalidates achievements for me. Now I know blizzard will just throw this crap around anyways. Achievements part of the game is now dead to me.

I bet the deleted posts are even better.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    It would be nice if open beta people got something as well... but its really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things...

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Wow. That is...that is...something, yeah.

This discussion has been closed.