As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Oh no, achievements have been invalidated by something that isn't technically an achievement. How will I now prove my worth to the world?

• FinnienFinnien Registered User regular
    Hm, where to start... can't wait can't wait can't wait.

Anyways - Blacksmith was solid in beta. Usually my first shoulders and bracers came from the blacksmith, and for my barbarian the blacksmith always provided a solid 2H upgrade the moment I unlocked it. I think in some versions of the beta the BS also crafted nice rare Wizard offhands and rare boots. There are also legendary recipes and Inferno-level crafting, so I think we can expect to get some pretty good mileage out of the blacksmith.

In Hardcore, I remember having a top-3 US West character in the high 60's a few weeks or a month after D2 released... that ended abruptly when I decided to do a little bit of farming after an all-day barbecue. Inebriation + whirlwind + thorns aura = bad news. "You have died" kind of sobers a guy up in an unpleasant way. So, yeah, don't drink and HC, I guess...

I think the battletag thing is primarily to attach a permanent reputation to any action a player makes - no making a level 1 alt and trolling, for example. That being said, I can understand a desire for more character immersion. I imagine we'll see Blizzard play with things over time, much like they did with the original RealID release.

If only the game wasn't coming out during Finals week... I've recently returned to college, and I'd hoped my return would last past this semester. Ah well, I'm afraid some classes just weren't meant to be passed...

Finnien - 60 Human Priest
    www.sunderguild.com
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Oh no, achievements have been invalidated by something that isn't technically an achievement. How will I now prove my worth to the world?

My only issue is now some people will have permanent reminders that I never got into this fucking beta even though I was on the list for it FOREVER. Months of "Oh hey, everyone might need to check their inboxes because another huge wave of beta invites went out!" nothing. Every time. Sadness.

I imagine it's like being on a wait list for Heaven and seeing all these people arbitrarily get in ahead of you. And then St. Peter hands out cool kids club badges to those guys and they're really smug about it forever because they're crappy jerks and I hate them forever. I'll just make my own beta. With blackjack. And hookers.

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    Drinking and playing Hardcore is the absolute best thing. Until you die, whoops.

V0Gug2h.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

My only issue is now some people will have permanent reminders that I never got into this fucking beta even though I was on the list for it FOREVER. Months of "Oh hey, everyone might need to check their inboxes because another huge wave of beta invites went out!" nothing. Every time. Sadness.

I imagine it's like being on a wait list for Heaven and seeing all these people arbitrarily get in ahead of you. And then St. Peter hands out cool kids club badges to those guys and they're really smug about it forever because they're crappy jerks and I hate them forever. I'll just make my own beta. With blackjack. And hookers.

i can't tell if you're serious or not.

Like, you'll get bummed out while playing the full game because there used to be a time when you couldn't play a shortened chunk of it but other people could?

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    [My only issue is now some people will have permanent reminders that I never got into this fucking beta even though I was on the list for it FOREVER. Months of "Oh hey, everyone might need to check their inboxes because another huge wave of beta invites went out!" nothing. Every time. Sadness.

Well you're in the majority there. This shouldn't really impact anyone's enjoyment of the game. Everyone got to play the beta, or at least a chance to do so. All this does is give them a shiny for being lucky enough to snag a closed beta invite. It shouldn't impact anyone's enjoyment of the game by one iota. Of course, the people who frequent the Diablo 3 forums are far from rational. Most are just WoW fanboys just getting into Diablo for the first time anyway. I could care less about achievements...I want to find SHINY ITEMS.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Splurged out on a new RAT 7, should be here by Monday at the latest.

Feel like my 6 year old MX518 deserves a rest before the upcoming clicking deluge.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    as well as unlock a unique sigil that can be used on character banners.

This part is where it makes me happy to be a CBT'er. Usin' that sigil all day.

KalTorak wrote: »

i can't tell if you're serious or not.

Like, you'll get bummed out while playing the full game because there used to be a time when you couldn't play a shortened chunk of it but other people could?

Oh it's not serious. I just never get into Blizzard betas god damn it.

Then again I get into all google betas. So I guess I'm pretty lucky on that end.

• spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    I was signed up for the beta from the second it became available WAY WAY WAY back when and never got in until the open beta weekend. I checked my emails every day; sometimes multiple times when the mass invites were going out. Why should some schmuck who randomly got invited to the beta and probably only played it a few times or JUST played it and never gave any feedback or any ACTUAL TESTING get another reward?

They should rename it to "I'm Not Good, I'm Lucky".

steam_sig.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Speaking as someone in the closed beta, I really hate limited time exclusive unlocks of all shapes and sizes. Clearly it's sort of a cool thing, or else nobody would care about it at all. And it sucks to be denied a cool thing for something that isn't your fault.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Controller support is obviously necessary for console ports, but fundamentally it's not much different from mouse/keyboard for a shooter. One stick maps to WASD and the other stick maps to pushing the mouse around, it's the same thing.
    It's not the same thing, though. It's a different control scheme. Ask any PC FPS player ever about the difference between aiming with dual analog vs. KB/mouse. And at this point it seems like you're trying to make an argument about some subjective "degree" of difference between control schemes.
    Zek wrote:
    WASD in Diablo on the other hand is a fundamental change in how you control your character, by separating it completely from the aiming mechanism. Diablo is designed from the ground up around mouse controls - note for example that there are no abilities that let you aim while moving. Twin stick shooter controls wouldn't feel right when every time you fire your character stops moving IMO. Technically though it would be an advantage, which means by including it they are effectively encouraging players to choose an experience they consider less fun.
    Again, none of this speaks to anything Jay actually said above. But apparently it's more fun to play with a control scheme that is actually less effective? That sounds more than a little weird.

Also, you can aim while moving. You just can't cast while moving.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    At first I was like "Come on Blizzard you have to know your fanbase by now and how those nerds are going to lose their shit about not getting an achievement that doesn't even grant points"

Then I realized they do know their fans and they are giving them what they deserve.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    There will also be people who complain that they don't get the 5 sigils from the Create your own banner stuff either after that is discontinued.

People will always complain.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I'm totally going to run HDMI to my tv so I can play on big screen with surround sound. It shall be glorious.

I already have this setup done in my room. My 46" is hooked up right next to my computer, so I use it as a secondary monitor. I have a Logitech Wave wireless keyboard and mouse that I can use from my bed.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
    Scosglen wrote: »
    At first I was like "Come on Blizzard you have to know your fanbase by now and how those nerds are going to lose their shit about not getting an achievement that doesn't even grant points"

Then I realized they do know their fans and they are giving them what they deserve.

Also it's an official forum.

They could be giving everyone the game for free and they'd still complain it wasn't the collector's edition.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    If they end up doing a console version, I want them to add controller support for the PC version. I like playing games like this with a controller.

Ill agree that most of the time playing games with a controller is more comfortable but how do you effectively use targeted non-projectile skills? Stuff like meteor, blizzard, grasp of the dead, etc.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Oh, I've been in the beta since November, I get a cool Feat of Strength don't I?

YEAH SUCKERS, EAT IT. LET THE PAIN OF MY WORTHLESS COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS ACHIEVEMENT WASH OVER YOU.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Oh, I've been in the beta since November, I get a cool Feat of Strength don't I?

YEAH SUCKERS, EAT IT. LET THE PAIN OF MY WORTHLESS COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS ACHIEVEMENT WASH OVER YOU.

OH GOD YOU'RE RUINING ALL MY FUN.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    To be fair, there were a few other ways to get into the beta besides the "opt-in and hope Blizzard picks you" method.

Edit: Anyway, this is just Blizzard going that extra mile to get people prepared for the unfair, RNG nature of Diablo. :D

forty on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Yo just so you know there are real spoilers going around now so be careful.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    Oh noes, I will not be able to get a tiny little sigil that people can barely see on my flag in-game. Woe is me.

I'll laugh so hard if they have the achievement for dying in Inferno be named It's Just a Flesh Wound.

V0Gug2h.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Yeah people are scanning the strategy guide pages and the behind the scenes DVDs from the CE apparently have some shit in them. Internet is a dangerous place until tuesday.

Am I the only one who had no idea what any of the plot was until I watched one of those "this is what happened in Diablo to get you caught up before Diablo 3" videos?

I mean, normally I'm not that guy (I like to read the quests in rpgs!) but Diablo always felt like a thin pretense to just click on things until treasures pop out. And god damn Deckard Cain was just slowing the process down with his prattling.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Oh wow some of those comments are absolutely absurd on that thread.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Pre-order cancelled!

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Don,t really care about a Diablo story being spoiled. I'll still go through the game and watch all the conversations and cutscenes but it's certainly not the kind of gripping story that can be ruined by spoilers.

• ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Yeah people are scanning the strategy guide pages and the behind the scenes DVDs from the CE apparently have some shit in them. Internet is a dangerous place until tuesday.

You mean the internet is a wonderful place.

Anyone know where I can get item spoilers like what stats/abilities the legendary items grant? I know they will update the official online guide on Monday but I heard the strategy guides may already be out/leaked.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    I'll laugh so hard if they have the achievement for dying in Inferno be named It's Just a Flesh Wound.

"Not Hardcore Enough"

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Why would someone with access to that kind of thing post the useful stuff instead of trying spoil the story for everyone?

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular

First thing I'll do when playing is find the option to disable achievements.

Stupid little pop-up giving me a meaningless number for doing a meaningless task in a video game, no thanks.

Every now and then games come along where an achievement yields and in-game reward... I'm ok with that. But just to raise a stupid number and a tiny emblem in D3... lame.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Don,t really care about a Diablo story being spoiled. I'll still go through the game and watch all the conversations and cutscenes but it's certainly not the kind of gripping story that can be ruined by spoilers.

It's actually the gameplay spoilers I care about. I find the experience of encountering fights and circumstances that I know nothing about really cool, and I don't want any of that spoiled.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular

Feel like my 6 year old MX518 deserves a rest before the upcoming clicking deluge.

I've had some issues with my rat 7. The thing spazzes out the second it rolls over any dust or the lens gets even a little dirty. I've cleaned it with a wet q tip and that's helped a little.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    I was on the "Friends of Blizzard" list for D2 and got into the D2:LoD beta without signing up for it. Absolutely no one cares about that now, and rightly so.

People really care about a feat of strength for being a beta player D3, though. That's important. I guess?

See you in Town,
    -Z

I've had some issues with my rat 7. The thing spazzes out the second it rolls over any dust or the lens gets even a little dirty. I've cleaned it with a wet q tip and that's helped a little.

Awwww don't say that, tell me how good it is instead.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Controller support is obviously necessary for console ports, but fundamentally it's not much different from mouse/keyboard for a shooter. One stick maps to WASD and the other stick maps to pushing the mouse around, it's the same thing.
    It's not the same thing, though. It's a different control scheme. Ask any PC FPS player ever about the difference between aiming with dual analog vs. KB/mouse. And at this point it seems like you're trying to make an argument about some subjective "degree" of difference between control schemes.
    Well, the biggest difference is that the controller is clearly a less effective control scheme than the "primary" setup of KB/M. So players handicap themselves by choice when deciding to use it. In D3 it would be the opposite, WASD enables something that isn't possible with the intended controls(aiming while moving) which makes it the "better" choice. Blizzard can either balance the game around that and make it too hard for mouse users, or vice versa, but either way WASD effectively becomes the game's predominant control scheme. Blizzard clearly doesn't like those controls for any number of reasons, such as the clunky feel of 8-direction movement, and so it's understandable they don't want that to happen. Thus, they don't include it. The responsibility of the game designer is to improve the game experience, and sometimes that means restricting choices.
    forty wrote: »
    Zek wrote:
    WASD in Diablo on the other hand is a fundamental change in how you control your character, by separating it completely from the aiming mechanism. Diablo is designed from the ground up around mouse controls - note for example that there are no abilities that let you aim while moving. Twin stick shooter controls wouldn't feel right when every time you fire your character stops moving IMO. Technically though it would be an advantage, which means by including it they are effectively encouraging players to choose an experience they consider less fun.
    Again, none of this speaks to anything Jay actually said above. But apparently it's more fun to play with a control scheme that is actually less effective? That sounds more than a little weird.

Also, you can aim while moving. You just can't cast while moving.

It's not weird at all, there's more to fun gameplay than just maximizing your chance of winning the game. Different controls result in a different gameplay experience. The twin stick shooter control scheme plays very different from the single mouse controls and results in a different feel. See the endless debates about survival horror games that have added stuff like strafing, moving while firing, etc. Doing that inherently makes them more feel actiony even with no other change to the game.

And I said "aim" because there are abilities that you can cast while moving - Whirlwind, Strafe, etc - and by design there's no aiming involved.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    There will also be people who complain that they don't get the 5 sigils from the Create your own banner stuff either after that is discontinued.

People will always complain.

Speaking of the Sigils, they're now all unlocked until May. 18th. So if you missed any, now's the time to double back and get some freebies. Do it nao!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4888358970

steam_sig.png
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Awwww don't say that, tell me how good it is instead.

I like it otherwise. It has a good weight/feel to it. I don't really bother much with the customization though..

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
    Is it just me or is the reveal site 503'd? This does not bode well...

V0Gug2h.png
This discussion has been closed.