As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    "illusion of choice"

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I probably hold the PA record of being the latest Blizzard newcomer. Didn't try WoW until late 2010, didn't play StarCraft until SCII, and now DIII being my first Diablo experience.

I hope I end up liking Diablo the best. WoW was fun, but monthly subscriptions and massive level gaps from other players kept me from committing to it. In SCII's case, I'm just really really terrible with RTS games.

Diablo III looks far easier to pick up and play. PvP aside (which I'm not really interested in), I should be sufficient enough in co-op.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I'm sure drug addicts think they have a choice.

It's best to just admit you have a problem. That is the first step to loot grind.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I probably hold the PA record of being the latest Blizzard newcomer. Didn't try WoW until late 2010, didn't play StarCraft until SCII, and now DIII being my first Diablo experience.

I hope I end up liking Diablo the best. WoW was fun, but monthly subscriptions and massive level gaps from other players kept me from committing to it. In SCII's case, I'm just really really terrible with RTS games.

Diablo III looks far easier to pick up and play. PvP aside (which I'm not really interested in), I should be sufficient enough in co-op.

Warcraft back in the 90s was my first love, but I've spent more time with Diablo than any of the others, even including WoW. I just can't cut it in SC multiplayer, and MMOs seemed to take too much commitment, but for me Diablo hits the balance just right. I essentially get an endless single-player game with all the good parts of multiplayer (occasional trading, casually playing with friends) while minimizing the bad parts (teenagers calling me a fag, steep skill curves, needing to commit a lot of discrete time). Just play at my own pace, on my own schedule.

Can't wait.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular

In all seriousness, Diablo is one of the most addictive games I've ever encountered. There's no doubt in my mind that it'll suck you in, man. I'm pretty eager to hear what you think about it, once you really get in there, though. Be sure to let us know if you need anything.

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    Wow I'm downloading the full game client and I didn't purchase the game. Obviously I will need to purchase the game to get the CD key but for those of you who are not buying digital but instead box copy, you can download it right now.

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular

Diablo is the most pick-up and playable of the three series. The game supports you if you like to play alone, or accommodates multiple people by increasing the difficulty. Everything in this version of Diablo is designed so that you travel with your team and work together. The game is fast paced, visceral, and just plain fun. The dark Gothic aesthetic, the balanced gameplay, and Blizzard polish will ensure that this game is not only one of the best games this generation, but will be played for many many years to come.

Cannot wait.

Also PvP isn't in the game at launch, and isn't the main point of Diablo though they will have systems added to support it not too long after release. Co-op is what this game is about.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    I feel like wow got better for pick up and play with dungeon finders and smoothed out questing

honestly once you start the picking up part of d3, there's no stopping. at least not until you've fallen asleep on your keyboard

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    milk ducks wrote: »

In all seriousness, Diablo is one of the most addictive games I've ever encountered. There's no doubt in my mind that it'll suck you in, man. I'm pretty eager to hear what you think about it, once you really get in there, though. Be sure to let us know if you need anything.

You are good people :^:
    Aumni wrote: »

Diablo is the most pick-up and playable of the three series. The game supports you if you like to play alone, or accommodates multiple people by increasing the difficulty. Everything in this version of Diablo is designed so that you travel with your team and work together. The game is fast paced, visceral, and just plain fun. The dark Gothic aesthetic, the balanced gameplay, and Blizzard polish will ensure that this game is not only one of the best games this generation, but will be played for many many years to come.

Cannot wait.

Also PvP isn't in the game at launch, and isn't the main point of Diablo though they will have systems added to support it not too long after release. Co-op is what this game is about.

They really should use forum quotes to hype up games, because you guys have done a far better job selling me on the game than any previews or videos.

On the subject though, are there any in-depth videos that show off the different classes in DIII?

I tend to be biased and choose "Big guy with sword", but maybe I'll end up having more fun with one of the other classes.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If you go to http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/, at the top of each classes' overview there is a pretty good video explaining the background of that class and going over their fighting styles.

edit: Welp, or Chen can just link them all.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    I am nonplussed that I couldn't find a video of just D2/D3 sounds of gold dropping over and over...because this morning it's all I could think of. The closer D3 is to release, the more I hear that damn sound. And it's GLORIOUS.

*ka-ching*

Can not wait to loot, loot it up!

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I tend to be biased and choose "Big guy with sword", but maybe I'll end up having more fun with one of the other classes.

I'm usually biased against "Big guy with the sword," but honestly of the 3 classes I played over the beta weekend, the barbarian was SO MUCH FUN. I was not expecting it at all.

You're gonna love it.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular

Pay close attention to the barbarian video at about 2:35. :mrgreen:

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    MMAgChMMAgCh remember tomorrow. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The barbarian is kinetic as fuck, hitting shit so hard it sails clean off-screen and/or its bones fly out of its skin. The monk was satisfying to play as well in a slightly more...cerebral way, but for that sheer visceral crunchiness of battering monsters into broken-boned, eviscerated lumps of lifeless meat while coating half the screen in blood and gibs, I honestly don't think you can do any better than the barbarian.

MMAgCh on
  • Options
    MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

I'm usually biased against "Big guy with the sword," but honestly of the 3 classes I played over the beta weekend, the barbarian was SO MUCH FUN. I was not expecting it at all.

You're gonna love it.

I'm exactly the same. D2 - Sorc, WoW mains were Mage + Lock. Before the beta weekend I was all amped up for Wizard (which I went through to SK). Tried a Barb to see what that was about and DAMN it was awesome. Kept thinking that I haven't had this much fun in a video game for a hell of a long time. Barb out the gate for me which is not what I was expecting at all.

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    There will also be people who complain that they don't get the 5 sigils from the Create your own banner stuff either after that is discontinued.

People will always complain.

Speaking of the Sigils, they're now all unlocked until May. 18th. So if you missed any, now's the time to double back and get some freebies. Do it nao!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4888358970

Can someone explain to me how this stuff works?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Anyone have the preload links? They aren't in the OP, and Google searches are turning up nothing.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    The website related to unlocking the promotional sigils is currently down, but when it's back up, you go to reveal.diablo3.com, and basically make a random shitty banner for each one of the characters (does not matter what you make at all) and then put in your b.net email at the end of each one. For each class you make a banner for you unlock a sigil for your account related to that class. Takes maybe two minutes to run through all five.

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    There will also be people who complain that they don't get the 5 sigils from the Create your own banner stuff either after that is discontinued.

Speaking of the Sigils, they're now all unlocked until May. 18th. So if you missed any, now's the time to double back and get some freebies. Do it nao!

Step 1: Go to the Diablo III launch site
    Step 2: Click on the Claim Your Sigil button (far right)
    Step 3: Click on CREATE BANNER
    Step 4: Select a class to create your banner, click "Next"
    Step 5: Select your background, customize your banner, and then customize your sigil
    Step 6: Once your selections are made, click "Next"
    Step 7: Enter a nickname (any nickname will work, doesn't have to be your BattleTag), your Battle.net email address, toggle the "I agree" option, and then click "Finish"

And for those that don't know, sigils are used to customize your banner. Think of it as an emblem or icon that represents your character that's fitted onto your banner. Elements of a banner are unlocked through achievements and things like this. These particular sigils will no longer be obtainable after May 18th.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    I'm off Tue-Thu as they just happen to be my regular days off...normally I bitch about my schedule but in next weeks case I welcome it. Had a tough time waiting so I rolled an amazon today and she's blowing through Act V now :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Had a tough time waiting so I rolled an amazon today and she's blowing through Act V now :winky:

KalTorak on
  • Options
    sumwar wrote: »
    Wow I'm downloading the full game client and I didn't purchase the game. Obviously I will need to purchase the game to get the CD key but for those of you who are not buying digital but instead box copy, you can download it right now.

Really? Where is that?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options

Really? Where is that?

I went to my battle.net account and for some reason it said "D3 starter edition" and I was like WTF? Why can I download this.

Also I just built my new computer I'm so excited. It's beastly:). I should be able to run max settings with 3.3 ghz quad core i5 2500k and nvidia gtx 560.

• Options
    Noggin wrote: »

Pay close attention to the barbarian video at about 2:35. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I think I'm going to go Barbarian....

w0155.jpg

Two-handed swords, you say?

• Options
    Aumni wrote: »

Step 1: Go to the Diablo III launch site
    Step 2: Click on the Claim Your Sigil button (far right)
    Step 3: Click on CREATE BANNER
    Step 4: Select a class to create your banner, click "Next"
    Step 5: Select your background, customize your banner, and then customize your sigil
    Step 6: Once your selections are made, click "Next"
    Step 7: Enter a nickname (any nickname will work, doesn't have to be your BattleTag), your Battle.net email address, toggle the "I agree" option, and then click "Finish"

And for those that don't know, sigils are used to customize your banner. Think of it as an emblem or icon that represents your character that's fitted onto your banner. Elements of a banner are unlocked through achievements and things like this. These particular sigils will no longer be obtainable after May 18th.

Ah cool. I thought there was some Facebook nonsense to do as well.

• Options
    edited May 2012

Really? Where is that?

I went to my battle.net account and for some reason it said "D3 starter edition" and I was like WTF? Why can I download this.

Also I just built my new computer I'm so excited. It's beastly:). I should be able to run max settings with 3.3 ghz quad core i5 2500k and nvidia gtx 560.

Is the starter edition installer the same as the full installer or is just a demo?

EDIT: I actually don't see the starter edition on my account at all so it's a moot point for me.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    So is DIII going to be modable from the get-go?

Because now I want to be able to use a Gutts skin for the Barbarian.

• Options

It will not be modable at all.

Well there may be way to extended the UI like in Wow, but as far as more traditional mods go, there is going to be no official support.

• Options

It will not be modable at all.

Well there may be way to extended the UI like in Wow, but as far as more traditional mods go, there is going to be no official support.

Ah, that's too bad then....

fwtIs.jpg

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

It's going to be modable from the never. Always online, tons of security in place, and your account can get banned if you mod.

No I don't.
  • Options

Really? Where is that?

Is the starter edition installer the same as the full installer or is just a demo?

Hmm I think you may be right. I did get into the beta a long time ago, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm just so dumb I'm installing the beta again thinking its the real game LOL.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Here's a question I never really had answered during my time with the beta:

For classes that can dual wield, is it better to use two 1 handed weapons or a two handed weapon?

For example on my barb I had a 2H that did 12.6 DPS, but a one handed sword that did 9.2 and a axe that did 7.2. Was it ever determined which would be more useful to my overall DPS?

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Gosh darn it. Now I'm all misty eyed at the thought of butchering Diablo and friends as Guts.

Welp.

I'll have to settle for his airy fairy princely cousin, all prancin' aboot with his bonny hand crossbows and spike traps.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    Gosh darn it. Now I'm all misty eyed at the thought of butchering Diablo and friends as Guts.

Welp.

I'll have to settle for his airy fairy princely cousin, all prancin' aboot with his bonny hand crossbows and spike traps.

Here, let me increase that burden.

Upon hearing the news that the Black Swordsman had entered his realm, Diablo decided to recruit a certain demon to divert his progress.

IBSqR.jpg

If it's any consolation, Dragon's Dogma will have a Guts armor set, as well as the ability to create a custom Guts character.

Assuming anyone will still give a crap about that game once DIII comes out.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »

For classes that can dual wield, is it better to use two 1 handed weapons or a two handed weapon?

For example on my barb I had a 2H that did 12.6 DPS, but a one handed sword that did 9.2 and a axe that did 7.2. Was it ever determined which would be more useful to my overall DPS?

You can see your dps your inventory screen, just below all your stats.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Monk and Barbarian can both dual wield. Demon Hunters, I believe, can dual wield crossbows. As to whether it's better to use two one-handers or a two-hander, it really comes down to the specific gear you're talking about. Powers in Diablo 3 deal damage based off of your weapon's DPS, and if you're dual wielding, it takes the average between your two weapons (also, you gain a 15% melee haste bonus while dual wielding). So honestly, you can look right on your character page and tell whether you're getting more DPS from a two-hander or two one-handers.

Fury and Spirit generating powers grant their resources per swing, though, so you'll be fueling your powers much more quickly if you're dual wielding. At least, that's the way I understand it.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think so.

Fast attack speed benefits ressource generators and spammable abilities with added effects (chance to slow, stun, etc) while slow but powerful attacks would be more benefical to abilities limited either by cooldown or high cost.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So there are exceptions to your DPS screen. Because they delegate the dps of your "swing", you might have skills that are instant swing/hit. the higher the damage these are the better, no matter the dps

edit: do we know anything about normalization mechanics?
    double edit: if you are just starting new in D3, and havent wow'ed or D2, IGNORE ME.
    edit3: fireflash probably stated it better.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    do we know anything about normalization mechanics?
    Don't believe there's any normalization at the moment, but this is just based off my experiences in the beta.

JAEF on
This discussion has been closed.