As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    There are probably few skills that don't rely on weapon speed. If any.

But yes, for barbarian if you are dual wielding you will get fury faster, but your fury spenders won't hit as hard as a two hander.

Abilities with cool downs are going to probably be better suited for slow two handers. Earthquake, for example.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    hrmm, kinda want to get in one last playthrough of d2/lod right before 3 hits. But the way I do it (fill out the entire map, clear every side dungeon) I'd have to put in some serious time the rest of the week...

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    Question the first...

Do the bosses have "killing animations" like we saw in one of the first game videos way back when. I think it was the video where we saw the barbarian and witch doctor's moves, and then the teamed up for a big co-op boss battle. One of the bosses actually picked up the barbarian, and bit his head off... VERY epic stuff. I hope that's added in, because it made the fight so much more intense.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    pretty sure they said that was cut

too much of a pain to implement or something

• Options
    MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Question the first...

Do the bosses have "killing animations" like we saw in one of the first game videos way back when. I think it was the video where we saw the barbarian and witch doctor's moves, and then the teamed up for a big co-op boss battle. One of the bosses actually picked up the barbarian, and bit his head off... VERY epic stuff. I hope that's added in, because it made the fight so much more intense.

No. It's gone.

EDIT: But wouldn't really apply to me anyway since I don't plan on dying.

Matz on
    2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    hrmm, kinda want to get in one last playthrough of d2/lod right before 3 hits. But the way I do it (fill out the entire map, clear every side dungeon) I'd have to put in some serious time the rest of the week...

I'm doing that right now. Just got through Act 1 in about 4 hours on /players8, so it's certainly possible.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Blendtec wrote: »

I'm doing that right now. Just got through Act 1 in about 4 hours on /players8, so it's certainly possible.

I'm actually 75% of the way through act 2, just debating whether I want to put keep going at this pace :P

Alucard6986 on
  • Options

I'm actually 75% of the way through act 2, just debating whether I want to put keep going at this pace :P

Act 3 is always the make or break for a speed run of D2 for me. It's just not fun.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I entertain the hope that none of the acts in 3 will be awful.

I can hope.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options

Act 3 is always the make or break for a speed run of D2 for me. It's just not fun.

Its always that first bit of Act 3 that particularly sucks too. Trying to find your way through that maze of jungle and coming to dead ends is fooking annoying. Once you get to Lower Kurast? (the wp past the Flayer Jungle) at least you know where you are going.

2uenpg3.png

I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Honestly, I always thought Lower Kurast and through the Durance were really pretty cool areas. Tons of cool constructions, I liked the monster combinations you'd run into. The jungles are still lame and awkward, but once you're through them, act 3 is really not so bad.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    They're going to add scripted kills into a patch. They'll hardcore only.

Totally true.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Matz wrote: »

Its always that first bit of Act 3 that particularly sucks too. Trying to find your way through that maze of jungle and coming to dead ends is fooking annoying. Once you get to Lower Kurast? (the wp past the Flayer Jungle) at least you know where you are going.

...and the pygmies. Oh. God. The pygmies.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    So is DIII going to be modable from the get-go?

Because now I want to be able to use a Gutts skin for the Barbarian.

It's going to be modable from the never. Always online, tons of security in place, and your account can get banned if you mod.

Blizzard is no fun...

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    As long as I don't have to deal with Act 2-ish stuff or the Maggot Lair, I won't kill someone with my dead mouse.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So all this talk of Acts...does this mean DIII will be split into areas that you can't go back to once you finish a certain story-related quest?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yeah, what is it with Blizzard and the freakin' pygmies, anyway ? At least DIABLO doesn't send you digging through poop. "Please don't wash your hands in the sacred pool."

• Options
    I quite liked Act 2. I also seem to recall (pre LOD) that it was the close second favourite act behind Act 4 (which I suspect people liked mostly because that's where they spent all their time and where they got all the good loot)

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So all this talk of Acts...does this mean DIII will be split into areas that you can't go back to once you finish a certain story-related quest?

Probably not. The Acts from Diablo II basically refer to geographic areas and the quests associated with them; you could return to the areas after you finished the quests there.

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Here's a question I never really had answered during my time with the beta:

For classes that can dual wield, is it better to use two 1 handed weapons or a two handed weapon?

For example on my barb I had a 2H that did 12.6 DPS, but a one handed sword that did 9.2 and a axe that did 7.2. Was it ever determined which would be more useful to my overall DPS?

Dual wielding gives you a 15% attack speed bonus and skills generally alternate between the weapons for each hit. So it will depend upon your gear and build for which will be better, since generally the big 2hers will be slow heavy hitters while the DWing will be smaller and faster hitting.

The math also works out that the dps contribution of the two weapons when DWing will be a weighted average, with the slower of the two weapons having more of an impact on the overall dps. Generally you are going to want the two weapons to be close to each other in damage output regardless, since DWing with a really crappy weapon can actually reduce dps from just using the single better 1her.

Savant on
  • Options

You keep waypoints in each act, and can travel backwards as much as you want to revisit those areas/re-run those bosses. It's also helpful for friends who haven't gotten that far, because you can give them the waypoints if you wish to help power level them. If not, you can fight your way to it with them.

Act 2 really bothered me because of how bland the desert parts were, and how I ended up having to walk around just to be like "what's this? oh, more sand...and more sand...aaaand a wall." I actually really liked Act 3, with all of the jungles and stuff, because dead ends or not I preferred the corridors instead of open expanses whose walls I had to comb for an opening.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    I put years into Diablo 2 and I don't think I ever once honestly beat act 3. I've gotten as far as the Flayer Jungle and it's a big blank between there and Travincal.

Goddamn Flayer Jungle.

• Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    As long as I don't have to deal with Act 2-ish stuff or the Maggot Lair, I won't kill someone with my dead mouse.

I loved the maggot lair! Those insect swarms? Best experience in the game.

• Options
    I quite liked exp farming the Arcane Sanctuary in Act 2 over and over again (before rushing as much as possible Act 3).

Mobs just lined up nicely in orderly rows... and certain branches were excellent.

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

The game is divided into a series of base states determined by quest progression which are grouped by Acts. Acts take place in different locations with different bad guys. I believe D3 has four.

Act 1 WARBLE
    Quest 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
    Act 2 THE WARBLE STRIKES BACK
    Quest etc and so forth.
    Act 3 RETURN OF THE HARBLE

So the very beginning of the game has a quest attached to it, and every major milestone thereafter does as well. This is all listed in the public game ui which displays however many thousands of players are on a given quest and gives you the option of joining one of the parties with an open slot. You can join any quest you are eligible for by having completed it yourself.

The only difference between public and private is whether you're inviting people or not, so as all games are online, your quest completion status is always recorded by the main servers. Once you're eligible, you're free to play whichever part of the game is your favorite as many times as you want. Since areas are internally randomized, this may well be a great many times.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Topia wrote: »
    mr_mich wrote: »

I loved the maggot lair! Those insect swarms? Best experience in the game.
    I would've enjoyed it more if pathfinding wasn't so blah. And pets.

I love how we're all eager to help Professor Snugglesworth. It's part because he's a nice guy, it's part because we're nice guys, but it's mostly because we love Diablo and enjoy seeing a new guy come into the fold :)

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular

i wonder if your newness to the series would help or hinder a review

it would be interesting, anyway

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

The firebreathing ones, chasing you through the jungle mazes, wrecking you if you had anything less than full fire resist. All in search of a waypoint or the dungeon you actually needed for Khalim's organs. Lower Kurast and on was fine though.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So Blizzard/Activisions latest press release says 2 million people played the Open Beta. They have 1.2 million pre-orders from the WoW Annual pass alone.

That's kind of silly.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Diablo 3, like other blizzard releases these days is pretty damn highly anticipated. They have quite a long string of awesome to back it up as well.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    2 million people that weren't me :(

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Blizzard actually has a ridiculous track record at this point. There hasn't been a Blizzard game since WarCraft 2 that I haven't sunk chunks of my life in to. How my grandparents associated the entertainment of their lives with their favorite actors, I will associate Blizzard with much of my life's entertainment.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Blizzard actually has a ridiculous track record at this point. There hasn't been a Blizzard game since WarCraft 2 that I haven't sunk chunks of my life in to. How my grandparents associated the entertainment of their lives with their favorite actors, I will associate Blizzard with much of my life's entertainment.

Same. Out of all my favorite game companies growing up, only Blizzard has managed to never disappoint me. The amount of time I have sunk into Blizzard games between diablo 1 and 2, starcraft, and WoW is a frankly tragic and embarrassing number. And D3 is looking to continue that trend.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Arkady wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Same. Out of all my favorite game companies growing up, only Blizzard has managed to never disappoint me. The amount of time I have sunk into Blizzard games between diablo 1 and 2, starcraft, and WoW is a frankly tragic and embarrassing number. And D3 is looking to continue that trend.

I have spent probably almost a solid year of my life playing Blizzard games. When I quit WoW, I did one last played, and my total played was 278 days. That's just WoW. Of course, some non-insignificant amount of that was AFK time, but still.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Blizzard has had an amazing track record longer than most people know.

256px-The_Lost_Vikings_SNES_cover.jpg

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    @Topia don't forget!

url]

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Holy shit wait guys

Titan MMO

It's lost vikings or rock and roll racing

Topia on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Holy shit wait guys

Titan MMO

It's lost vikings or rock and roll racing

Nah, it's Blackthorne.

Obviously.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Blizzard has had an amazing track record longer than most people know.

rrr1.jpg

Fixed.

Though it came out after so whatever.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    does this have party voice chat built in? i havent bought a multiplayer game in a while.

It didn't in the beta. Even if it did, I'd probably use something else for voice. The voice chat in SC2 was not great.

This discussion has been closed.