As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, April 13, 2012 - Lickr

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited April 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So this is why I never get sick at PAX? More importantly, this is why everyone else gets sick?

Oh, also, best birthday comic.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    dat tongue

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    first comic i've laughed at in a long time

• Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This strip is disgusting.

Disgusting and awesome.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    These dizzying highs just to serve to cheapen the usual comics!

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    "Where the flavor collects." Beautiful.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    yurgh D:

... But yeah shaking hands, that's a dumb thing to do.

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    dat saliva

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Those are Merch sheets. I don't think that's Gabe's bed.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Henroid wrote: »
    yurgh D:

Anecdotal evidence, but I always shake hands, high five, bro-fist, hug, etc and haven't gotten sick over a bunch of PAXes. I think some people use it as an excuse to be antisocial.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The true cause of PAXitis is toilet seats.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    yurgh D:

Anecdotal evidence, but I always shake hands, high five, bro-fist, hug, etc and haven't gotten sick over a bunch of PAXes. I think some people use it as an excuse to be antisocial.

I'm pretty sure he was joking. Nobody can honestly believe that handshakes led to sickness.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    The true cause of PAXitis is toilet seats.

That's why it's important to piss on them, to rinse away other people's germs.

• Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    yurgh D:

I'm pretty sure he was joking. Nobody can honestly believe that handshakes led to sickness.

What if the other guy didn't wash his hands after pooping?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    People who don't wash their hands regularly, and people who touch their faces often, are Nurglings.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    yurgh D:

What if the other guy didn't wash his hands after pooping?

Then we don't shake hands with you.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Khoo should just hire a guy to follow Mike around with a big bucket of Purel, and after every hand shake, just hold it out so Mike can dip both hands in it up to the elbow.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Important question: what is Gabe doing when he says "like this"? Is that Tycho's hand he's licking now?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Tongues are not bumpy on the bottom. :)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Oh... the comic edit thread is going to be golden this weekend.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Regarding the newspost, I never could remember Second Reality or the Future Crew, though I remember the demo vividly. I'm not surprised at all that the members of the demogroup went on to found all kinds of shit we know and love.

Second Reality blew my mind when I found it on a BBS.

However, the Moleman's explanation text at that video site is copied from wikipedia. Not cool. Or... he wrote it. Cool! It's either cool or uncool.

spool32 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Oh my god

that hand has five fingers

WHOSE HAND IS THAT

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i'm in favor the george carlin theory of bacteria and illness

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Oh my god

that hand has five fingers

WHOSE HAND IS THAT

Whoever he is, he killed my father.
    Prepare to die.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    So this is why I never get sick at PAX? More importantly, this is why everyone else gets sick?

Hi5 @PikaPuff. Hi5.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Whoa. The entire time I was watching that I was going "WHY." The situation Tycho describes is absolutely fascinating, and I am certain that without having been there (so to speak) that something is lost.

• Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Full disclosure: I am the Enforcer referenced in the newspost.
    spool32 wrote: »
    However, the Moleman's explanation text at that video site is copied from wikipedia. Not cool. Or... he wrote it. Cool! It's either cool or uncool.
    I believe the guy that made the movie's landing page (not 'moleman' - that's the best English translation of the original Hungarian title, roughly slang for 'underground') also wrote the text on Wikipedia, so hopefully cool ;)
    Whoa. The entire time I was watching that I was going "WHY."
    Because! Why do people paint pictures? Actually, a better comparison would be 'why do people engage in super hard math problem competitions just for fun.' The competitions themselves aren't going to get you anywhere, but the skills you need to succeed in them are probably going to help your career otherwise. Hence why many demosceners end up working in games development, as professional 'creative types', or etc. To be successful in the scene you have to have both talent AND a very robust work ethic - while also having at least some social skills, because of how demoparties are set up as social events.

For example, arguably the top coder/programmer in the scene right now is a guy who does 3D graphics development for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe as his day job, and then comes home and works hardcore on demos. During PAX, he was at the Revision demoparty in Germany, getting extremely, extremely drunk. ;)

Tango on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    yurgh D:

Maybe it's different for people that do signings. I've heard stories at other cons of creators getting sick and they suspect shaking hundreds and hundreds of hands had something to do with it.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Ugh, stupid pox. I'm never licking another hand at PAX.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Tango wrote: »
    Full disclosure: I am the Enforcer referenced in the newspost.
    I believe the guy that made the movie's landing page (not 'moleman' - that's the best English translation of the original Hungarian title, roughly slang for 'underground') also wrote the text on Wikipedia, so hopefully cool ;)
    Whoa. The entire time I was watching that I was going "WHY."
    Because! Why do people paint pictures? Actually, a better comparison would be 'why do people engage in super hard math problem competitions just for fun.' The competitions themselves aren't going to get you anywhere, but the skills you need to succeed in them are probably going to help your career otherwise. Hence why many demosceners end up working in games development, as professional 'creative types', or etc. To be successful in the scene you have to have both talent AND a very robust work ethic - while also having at least some social skills, because of how demoparties are set up as social events.

For example, arguably the top coder/programmer in the scene right now is a guy who does 3D graphics development for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe as his day job, and then comes home and works hardcore on demos. During PAX, he was at the Revision demoparty in Germany, getting extremely, extremely drunk. ;)

Is there a specific word that describes those people that do amazing things with incredibly small files? Like, the team that created a working, decent graphics FPS in a stupidly, stupidly small file?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Zazu YenZazu Yen Senior Developer San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I so fondly remember the demo scene. I remember the display hacks on pirated software in the 80's too; talking skulls, color bars and lots of barley readable bouncing fonts made of particles (which mostly looked like L.A. graffiti to my eyes) on my Apple ][. I re-discovered the demo scene off of BBS' in the early nineties and was amazed by the kind of things they could do with limited resources, some of them were just 4k executables but had impressive animated 3D models and textures generated programmatically.

I showed them, including Second Reality, off at the company I worked for called Berkeley Systems and that convinced them to send some managers to a Demo Scene meetup in Amsterdam to try and recruit some tallent. Sadly nothing came from it (except a couple of managers spending a weekend stoned, so I heard). To this day I keep around a folder of demo's to show to developers, because look at what they can do! Right now I've got "fr-041: debris" running in a virtual machine, it's essentially a concept music video with impressive and clever graphics crammed into a 174k executable. There's some real serious compressions and algorithmically generated content wizardry going on in there.

I'll have to catch up on the scene.

ExistentialExistenceException: Your thread encountered a NULL pointer and entered a state of non-being.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

I'd just like to point out that there's no pre-rendered animations/video here, this is all rendered in real time.
    Well, at least when you run the actual demo. A Youtube video isn't quite the same.

edit: I watched the video on Youtube now, and it doesn't do the demo justice at all. For one thing, the video is too slow to keep up with a lot of the movements.
    If at all possible, you should run the actual demo, maybe in DOSBox.

Ivar on
  • Options
    GiraffeLoverGiraffeLover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFHwFdN0Kw Registered User regular
    Why am I not surprised...

Necks... it's all about necks...

Personal Quote: "I stare into the void as her molted carapace unfurls, her soaking thorax begging for my gentle touch... and she whispers: "krev unda xcryu!!!". Her slender neck riddled with eggsacks and vestigial maws beckons for my tender head, but what is that I see? Tis a hedgehog, nested upon one of her seven shoulder, her quills beckon for me as well. I now surrender myself as I am filled with countless fertilized eggs and my hands grace the spiky sensuous quills... Yes, yes - a thousand times yes..."
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    I think this is the first PA strip that has actually ever grossed me out. A difficult feat to accomplish.

My heart says to love this strip, but my brain says "eww".

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    That hand hurts my eyes. I'd swear it has like eight fingers.

• Options
    BradGunnerSGTBradGunnerSGT Registered User regular
    The second panel makes me laugh and gag at the same time. They absolutely have to do a 4th Panel on this, just so I can hear Mike say "the between places, where the flavor collects"!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Hi5 @PikaPuff. Hi5.

But then you'd have to touch Pika and get sick.

• Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    Zazu Yen wrote: »
    some of them were just 4k executables but had impressive animated 3D models and textures generated programmatically.
    4k and 64k intros are still where a lot of the really cutting-edge stuff is at. Google for an intro from 2009 called Elevated (use "Elevated 4k intro" or something -- you'll get a bazillion links to both the 4k executable and videos of it running). Real-time almost photorealistic mountains and light effects, plus music, in FOUR KILOBYTES.
    Right now I've got "fr-041: debris" running in a virtual machine, it's essentially a concept music video with impressive and clever graphics crammed into a 174k executable. There's some real serious compressions and algorithmically generated content wizardry going on in there.
    Farbrausch have made a lot of good stuff in the last 10 or so years. We also showed .kkrieger at the panel, which was Farbrausch's tech-demo 96-kilobyte FPS. It's not cutting edge in an absolute sense nowadays -- until you realize it's all generated out of a 96k executable!

• Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Important question: what is Gabe doing when he says "like this"? Is that Tycho's hand he's licking now?

It's not his own, unless he's Plastic Man. Either he's licking Tycho's hand in demonstration, or panel two is a flashback to a representative licking episode.

Steam: simon moon