As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] Mage: The Awakening - Land of the Free [Noir PBP]

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    I'd be okay with tossing in some points if you can think of a reason we'd know each other. :P

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    Another question, probably not all that important. Where is this jazz club located. I presume somewhere around the Hudson Valley?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Somewhere between Rochester and Syracuse.
    (Disclaimer: I've never been to NY, creative liberty.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    (Times like this maptools would be helpful!)

For sake of clarity; correct if I'm wrong.

Table 1 - Leslie/Jaunt | Lily/Singer
    Table 2 - Bellerose/Max/Fedora
    Counter - Charun/Tender

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Lily was seated at the bar (Assumed stools, my fault). I'm fine with the bar being close to the poker table or just saying she was there from the start. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    The bar is close, so that works too. The singer approached a table nearby.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    Can you have more than one shield active at a time? Like if I wanted Max to have his forces shield (which is all phsyical/elemental stuff) and his prime shield (all magic protection) could he have both? I glanced at the rules but didn't see anything.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    You can but the armor only stacks if it explicitly says so. The vast majority of shields just provide bashing/lethal armor and while you could have them up all up you just get one dose of +armor. This can still be worth it since some affect certain things but not others, e.g. some work on the roll to be grappled but not one damage once you are grappled, and others are the opposite.

Then there's the Mind and Prime anti-mental and magic, respectively, spells that specifically do stack with other armor spells, and with each other. I hope that's clear lol.

Also now I'm confused on positioning, I believed Six & Jaunt to be standing/sitting by the bar, observing the card tables, not actually at a table. But I think I missed the problem by posting to an un-updated threat before falling unconscious last night so problem avoided, lol ;-)

• Options
    Alright, well if it is allowable then you can assume that Max has Unseen Forces and Magic Shield up at all times. Paranoid bugger.

• Options
    Your characters are where they are, just trying to paint an accurate mental picture. :P

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    YamiB.YamiB. Registered User regular
    I doubt it will ever come up in game, but I think Charun is going to be homosexual. Deeply closeted because well its the the 40s. If for some reason we ever jump forward a decade I'll have to set him up with a contact in the Mattachine Society though. I always do the same thing when I GM, write out all kinds of background details for NPCs that only actually come up in game like 1% of the time.

I mixed myself an Old Fashioned this weekend to see what the hell it tasted like since I was ordering it in the game. Its actually pretty good.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Sorry for being a bit flaky the last couple of days, had a thesis defense to perform and now scrambling to get the hardcopy finished and printed. Should clear up to posting multiple times a day by next week though.

• Options
    I'm currently out of state and without proper access to my Mage books, but I don't expect it'll hinder things much. We'll have a slow build for a bit, anyway.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    That reminds me. I'll be out of state on a business trip for the first two weeks of June. I think I should be able to get online fine though.

• Options
    4 tens on one die cj? You're not allowed to use Fate Arcana on Invisible Castle :P

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm always unsure about how much narrative initiative I should take, so when I included Leslie's reason for going to the bar, I didn't include a clear mechanism for making sure that hook got resolved. If you want to decide when his contact shows up, that's fine. If you want me to declare that Leslie's contact has appeared, that's also fine. If you want to just ignore that distraction from the game (probably the best of the three options), then we'll just assume it gets handled off-screen between scenes.

piL on
  • Options
    Ah, forgot about that. That can be resolved soon, I'll handle it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ok, so I kind of need to get an idea of who's sticking with the game and who isn't.

I realize it's kind of a slow builder, but it'll be all the slower without an idea of who'll still be contributing and who isn't.

For those who've stayed with it, the devotion's appreciated.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I hope I've been contributing enough. Honestly a little unsure since its my first pbp.

• Options
    You're contributing the most at present.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    I'm still here, trying to build myself up to a better tempo at responding at a more timely basis.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm checking daily, I've been trying to pace my responses with the speed of the group. :) (Except for past 2 days when we had vendors in town at work)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Well, I should probably be responding more. I just hate both exploring internal monologue, or forcing interaction to meet pace. Which means in this scene, my post should mostly be "Six nods his head and continues to wait". That mentality forces me to kind of wait and see if there's anything to act off of, delaying my responses. I'd still like to stick with this if at all possible.

• Options
    Sorry, I didn't bookmark the OCC thread. I am still here and responding. Just chiming in when need be.

No need for me to be responding after every person talks.

• Options
    Based on what's happened so far it seems like I need to rethink my character's current situation. I was initially planning on having him living primarily off a stipend provided by the ladder. Since pentacle mages don't seem to be much of a force here that doesn't make much sense for me. Maybe I'll explain my income via my crafts skill.

• Options
    Yeah, I might have to retcon some too, depending... @cj The NPCs are treating everyone like they know nothing about NY mage society, etc. Is it okay to disabuse them, or was the intention to have all the chars be fresh to the scene? I'm good with either, just need to know where to go from here. :)

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    They don't recognize your characters, so they think they're fresh. Exploit that as you see fit.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    You mentioned that I noticed that some people may be disguising their auras. What would I need to do to see through that?

• Options
    Prime+Gnosis, contested roll against whoever's masking it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Do all rotes lower the mana cost of spells? So if it would normally cost 1 mana it would be free?

... and no I am not thinking of counters spelling those masks away. Just... curious...

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    My understanding is that non-rotes cost 1 extra, rotes don't actually discount it. So a spell that costs 1 mana would cost 1 as a rote and 2 as a non-rotes. Most spells don't cost anything as a base, so a rote version of those still costs nothing.

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Rotes don't affect mana cost, they affect dice pool. If you don't know the rote, you only get to roll [Arcana]+Gnosis instead of the full pool.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I thought improvised casting (non-rote) had a 1 mana cost? I'll have to go look later tonight. Or is it improvised casting in non-major arcana? Hell, I don't know. :P

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Being a mage is hard...

• Options
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure non-mana rotes don't cost regardless of whether or not you know the rote.
    (Keeping track of PC's mana, now that's hard.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Improvised Magic: Casting an improvised spell requires the expenditure of a point of Mana, unless the primary Arcanum used is one of the mage’s Ruling Arcana

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Ah, yeah, excepting that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I believe at least one PC was masking their aura, so if you care to contest that Mage Sight roll, now would be the time.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    My roll was pretty terrible. I feel like Max is making that face where you are looking at a magic eye picture but you still can't see the goddamn sailboat.

• Options
    Should have more time to pay attention to this again soon. Last day for 10 hour work days six days a week, for awhile at least.