As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The SE++ Listening Party Thread. Now Playing: Fox and the Bird - Floating Feather

1234568»

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I think Mitchell's voice works as Eurydice really well, it SOUNDS innocent and corruptible.

• Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    I love Hadestown. Greg Brown makes for such a fantastic Hades.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I had never heard of Greg Brown before this. Gonna remedy my lack of greg brown songs.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this is really cool. I get some Decemberists - Hazards of Love vibes just from the concept of the album, except it's less of a rock opera concept album and more of a folk thing.

I love Hades on "Hey, Little Songbird"

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Paging @DoctorFink, @DoctorFink you are needed for a selection in this thread.

Also for cleanup on aisle 3.

• Options
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    ThreeCubed wrote: »
    @cabsy Try Nilsson's The Point! which would be my album choice if I were playing along and picking an album. It's a story AND really really great music. If you're into stuff like Nilsson.

I actually have this album and the movie so that is a pretty on-point recommendation!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

I say if he doesn't post by midnight, he forfeits his turn

He was on at 7:31 AM, he could have made his pick, he didn't

• Options
    Fair enough

@Lilli -- do you have a suggestion good to go?

• Options
    Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    My apologies for the late entry. Haven't done my best to keep up.

Anywho, my submission for the consideration of the SE++ Listening Party:

2023645065-1.jpg

Julia Massey and The Five Finger Discount - Is There Room For Me?

I discovered this album last year out of the blue after it was randomly sent to me by someone from Portland. Initially, I kind of dismissed it. I DJ at my college's radio station and one of the first things I had to do was review some pretty crappy local music. When I decided to check it out, I was immediately surprised at the quality of the album.

The album itself is mainly mellow and laid back, but Julia and the gang still manage to make it a pretty interesting listen. The album is up on Spotify. I'm very interested in seeing some other folk's opinion on it, so give it a listen!

PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    This is pretty chill so far. Not my favorite music, far from it, but it's nice for what it is. I like it.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I like it. Don't usually listen to this type of music, but it's pretty mellow and calm, and Julia Massey has a nice, unique voice that seems to really add to the ensemble.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm late to the party with Hadestown. Work is hectic as hell and I didn't have a chance to listen yesterday.

I'm about halfway through it, and I like it okay. I wish I liked it more.

It possible I just need to listen to it when I'm in a more mellow mood. I'll give it another listen after a glass of Scotch.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    LilliLilli Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I guess I'll go ahead and throw this up now.

slow-club-yeah-so-cover-45674.jpeg

Slow Club - Yeah So

Slow Club is kind of an indie folk/pop duo. They tend to alternate between an upbeat so goddamn happy sound and a more mellow sappy love song sound. This might be a little too teenage-y mixtape feel for some people, but I have no reservations admitting that I love this album to death. The persistent joy that just pours out of some of the songs just makes my day anytime I put it on.

Here's a grooveshark link for anyone not in America.

Lilli on
  • Options
    I'm out of town this week, so unfortunately it may be a little time before I can get to selections this week, but worry not. I will still listen to them.

• Options
    Today's pick:

The Fox and the Bird - Floating Feather

1837710483-1.jpg

This is one I debated bringing out earlier, since I know for a fact nobody here has heard this album. Excited to hear thoughts on this one. It's on spotify and bandcamp.

• Options
    For those wondering, this is pretty much folk music. Lots of harmonies, acoustic instruments, that sort of thing. For people who didn't like Ben Kweller because they found his lyrics lacking, I'm hoping you have a difference of opinion on this one.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hey @joshofalltrades probably go ahead and remove me from the list.

I haven't been able to keep up with the albums for a long while since I've been so up and down lately.

I don't think it'd be fair to let me keep a spot.

• Options
    Fair enough. Let me know if you change your mind later. Hope things get better for you!

• Options
    Is this dead now? Well, at least we made it through one cycle. Twas fun while it lasted!

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I kind of dropped out of it because I ran out of minutes on spotify

the first worldest of all problems

thenews.jpg