As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In the close future, there is only war, and spilling drinks on the Citadel.[Mass Effect]

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Bogey wrote: »
    people should come play with me on the 360
    Add me, please: Bogestrom

I will do my best to refrain from asking about your mother.

we're in the middle of a game I'll try and invite you between waves
    No need to rush. I won't be online until this evening anyway.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Bogey wrote: »
    people should come play with me on the 360
    Add me, please: Bogestrom

I will do my best to refrain from asking about your mother.

we're in the middle of a game I'll try and invite you between waves

you should've just gotten some invites from "Mushpie"

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Wait, people didn't know you had to hold down the trigger on the GethMG?

Read the description, people, it says right there that it's a mini-Spitfire.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    no only that, but why they hell wouldn't you hold down the trigger on a SMG?

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    180 bullets in the clip.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I know that you have to hold it

But it didn't occur to me to hold it down before there is anything to shoot at

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    My only problem with the geth smg is that firing it keeps me out of cover way too long

And on engineers and other power based classes that's basically an invitation to death

The nice thing about most smgs is that you can fire in short bursts between power recharges

Can't really do that so much with the geth smg

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    had me3 crash right when we hit the extraction wave on silver

done playin for now i think

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Today I wondered if payload from TF2 would work in ME3 multiplayer

I think it could

Y'know, that could actually be pretty cool.

In general I'd just really like a few missions where it's all about your team staying together and pushing forwards towards a goal, instead of mostly just wandering around in laps and murdering everything.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    My only problem with the geth smg is that firing it keeps me out of cover way too long

And on engineers and other power based classes that's basically an invitation to death

The nice thing about most smgs is that you can fire in short bursts between power recharges

The GMG has a very niche use that other smgs that fire that fast (Tempest/Hurricane) but have massive recoil don't have, and that is debuff capitalization. Doing the "Door Trick" with a power using class that has an armor debuff power (Warp, Incinerate, Cryo-Blast) you can tear through armor exceedingly fast.

The problem the GMG has is that everything that it can do (low recoil/high accuracy/high fire rate) the GPR can do better.

"Never Hit"
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    what is the "Door Trick"

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    what is the "Door Trick"

it's when you turn tricks through a doggy door

also known as double doggy style

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    what is the "Door Trick"

can't say I heard of too many people gettin' it on double doggy style

does it work?

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Think I'm gonna put the geth smg on my krogan battlemaster

Make him literally heavy weapons guy

CRY SOME MORE

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    Yeah it works, but the rubber flap may cause some chafing.

The door trick is if you stand right by the frame of a door, not actually in cover just standing there, you can sneak your reticule around the frame and shoot enemies. Their shots, aimed at your center mass, will hit the wall on the other side of the door frame until they get to a certain angle of you in the door. It's great for Primes and Atlases, not much else.

As I said, it's a very niche thing, and the GPR can do it almost as well. I'd rather have a GPR.

Now if the rumor of a "Racial Familiarity Bonus" on weapons (that races get a damage and accuracy bonus on certain weapon classes) is true, which I don't believe it is, this may change things.

"Never Hit"
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    what is the "Door Trick"

can't say I heard of too many people gettin' it on double doggy style

does it work?

O5Rdc.png

• Options
    ShanksShanks "THAT FELLOW" Registered User regular
    How helpful is voice chat?

I assume it can be useful in groups with decent people, but I fear turning it on in a pub.

Royal Families card game rules Origin/XBL: SpaceRangerJ Steam
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So far I've only had two instances of voice idiots in lots and lots of games on Origin.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Yeah it's better off left on.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Origin folks are usually silent anyway.

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    me3 seems determined to not let me play mp tonight

oh well

• Options
    Squall wrote: »
    me3 seems determined to not let me play mp tonight

oh well

You really didn't want to play Reapers Reactor Gold with a bunch of idiots tonight anyway.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    man, momshep has been surprisingly paragon so far

perhaps there is hope

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

The GMG has a very niche use that other smgs that fire that fast (Tempest/Hurricane) but have massive recoil don't have, and that is debuff capitalization. Doing the "Door Trick" with a power using class that has an armor debuff power (Warp, Incinerate, Cryo-Blast) you can tear through armor exceedingly fast.

The problem the GMG has is that everything that it can do (low recoil/high accuracy/high fire rate) the GPR can do better.

GPR doesn't shoot as fast, or has the same clip size potential (heat sinks and/or mag upgrade)

oh, and it's accuracy isn't quite as good

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    To be fair, the GPR is a steaming pile of dog doo.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    basically, get a bead on a bad guy's head and the GSMG outclasses the GPR, easily

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

I'd be happy if they upped the firing speed of it, but lowered something else a bit, like the accuracy or clip size

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »

I'd be happy if they upped the firing speed of it, but lowered something else a bit, like the accuracy or clip size

How about its suckiness

• Options

Wasn't it you that was touting the Avenger? That's serious question tense, I can't remember.
    basically, get a bead on a bad guy's head and the GSMG outclasses the GPR, easily

In raw DPS, true. That also assumes that you will be spending time out of cover to spin up the GSMG, and holding the trigger down the entire time rather than throwing out powers. The argument I was making was for a power based class, like Engineer or Adept, that would want the low weight the GSMG affords them.

Conversely, to use Turian as an example (Which is where the recoil of the GSMG approaches that of the GPR) you are better served (in a comparison of staying out of cover:firing) with either a high level Tempest or Hurricane due to a much higher damage ratio. I mean, the Hurricane is a gun that hits like a Vindicator, fires as fast as a GPR, and kicks like Godzilla. Temper that kick and it is a Gau 3.

But, if mostly worried about the "feel" of the weapon, my favorite gun in the game is the Raptor, and we all know how contentious that gun is. So, opinions.

"Never Hit"
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    But, if mostly worried about the "feel" of the weapon, my favorite gun in the game is the Raptor, and we all know how contentious that gun is. So, opinions.

exactly

different guns work better in the hands of different people

and it's super annoying to see something I do quite well with get equivocated with being a bad player on a regular basis

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options

Wasn't it you that was touting the Avenger? That's serious question tense, I can't remember.

Well, when I'm not being hyperbolic, the Avenger actually deals damage through armor on Silver (it's just as screwed on Gold). The Avenger's reload time is short enough it won't interrupt you (the same isn't true of the GPR). The GPR's time until it cycles up to maximum rate of fire is generally longer than you want to be hanging out of cover. Effective sustained DPS is lower than an Avenger's on anything except armored Gold opponents (where superior ROF wins out since both are minimum-damage capped)

The Geth Pulse Rifle is a weapon that is in almost all ways inferior to the Avenger, which is a common weapon--except the Geth Pulse Rifle is a rare.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the avenger is really good

AFAIK it's the strongest weapon that gives you 200 cooldown

• Options
    edited April 2012

exactly

different guns work better in the hands of different people

and it's super annoying to see something I do quite well with get equivocated with being a bad player on a regular basis

Indeed. That's why I try to keep any talk about guns and which is better than the other to strictly a numbers thing, then try to remember to temper that with the "lol opinions" tag.

Like the above line to Orca. From a strictly numbers basis, the new GPR is a direct upgrade to the Avenger if they are the same level. Same weight, fires faster, etc. But, a lot of people say the Avenger is leagues better of a gun. Another example, minus weight, is Mantis->Widow. Again, lol opinions.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options

That title actually goes to the Predator. But fuck playing Cow Clicker while I'm playing Mass Effect.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

depends on the class

because my drell adept is rocking the carnifex at 200%

• Options

Well, when I'm not being hyperbolic, the Avenger actually deals damage through armor on Silver (it's just as screwed on Gold). The Avenger's reload time is short enough it won't interrupt you (the same isn't true of the GPR). The GPR's time until it cycles up to maximum rate of fire is generally longer than you want to be hanging out of cover. Effective sustained DPS is lower than an Avenger's on anything except armored Gold opponents (where superior ROF wins out since both are minimum-damage capped)

The Geth Pulse Rifle is a weapon that is in almost all ways inferior to the Avenger, which is a common weapon--except the Geth Pulse Rifle is a rare.

Huh?

"Never Hit"
  • Options

Huh?

I went to test it and I guess it's just an audio artifact. The gun counter looks like it's dropping at the same rate. The rest of my complaint holds, however.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

pretty sure the tempest has a higher damage number. could be wrong.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

pretty sure the tempest has a higher damage number. could be wrong.

Yeah, but the Avenger can shoot in a straight line without the player having to constantly tilt down.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    In the demo I had a scoped avenger that I spammed adrenaline rush with, with maxed weapon and headshot bonuses

It was surprisingly effective.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.