As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your experience with persojnal trainers.

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm thinking about getting a personal trainer and was looking for people who have had experience with them.

I actually lost 100lbs by myself, simply by simple excercises (mainly running and light weights) and cutting a lot of crap out of my diet. Now I'm around 165-170lbs at a 5'9 frame. I been at that weight for about a year and have been stagnating on further weight loss.

Excercise motivation isn't the problem, as I run and rock climb frequently enough. The areas where I would be looking for help would actually be doing excercises that would tone up my form (still have flab and loose skin) including correct form and some help in nutrition as I know I could really improve that.

What should I look for? I'm sure prices would vary wildly, but is there any ball park figures? Anything I should ask?

Kyougu on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I just gotta say, good job man.

I don't think a personal trainer is going to help you much, they're also fairly expensive. Might want to check the various fitness threads around the forum if you don't already? My experience (well 2nd hand experience anyways) is they're hit and miss and super expensive. On the plus side, (edit) dieticians (the legally protected title) can be covered by health insurance so that might be a route.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I just started with a PT. Today was actually my 3rd session with him.

he's fairly pricy ($320NZD/month) and that's with him giving me a discount cause we've kind of been friends the last 7 months that i've been going to the gym.

Now I'm looking for muscle toning and weight loss. And Let me tell you, it is seriously one of the best decisions I've ever made. he pushes me right to the point where I want to give up, but I don't. Because I have to prove to him that I can do it. You, having already lost 100lbs yourself, I don't know if you need to have that 3rd party to prove yourself to like I do. But seriously, 3 sessions and I feel fantastic. Oh I'm sore as all get out, but it's that good sore when you know your body is working.

Maybe see if instead of getting a PT for a full crazy thing, see if you can get a couple sessions every few weeks? have them start you on a program, then when you level off on that, have them up it a bit. But I don't know if that's such a thing that is possible.

But really, I can't say enough good things about my PT. Dude is killing me, but in an oh so sweet way.

• defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    I wouldn't quit on the DIY thing just yet, it sounds like you're a pretty disciplined person, and you don't need someone else to motivate you. You just need to find out what exercises to do to target the areas you want. I would do what bowen said and look through the fitness threads first, give those a try for a couple of months, if you're still not getting the results you want, then I would consider a trainer.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You could also possibly be interested in something halfway between a gym membership and a personal trainer: Crossfit classes. Can't vouch for personal results myself as I've only just started after a lot constant pressure from my girlfriend to try it out. My girlfriend has been doing these classes for about 7 months now. She started by going 3 times a week then cranked it up to 4, sometimes 5 times a week she enjoys it so much. She went from about 180lbs to 155lbs and really toned up.

Might not work exactly the same everywhere but here it's hour long classes with usually 6-10 people at a time. You start with warm up exercises then a workout that's different every day. It's a mix of strength/endurance/cardio that uses freeweights/body weight to work out the whole body. You perform the workout at the same time as everyone else while the trainer encourages the group and corrects people's posture and movements. The workouts are meant for you to push yourself as far as you can based on your capacity and skill: Either there's weights involved or its stuff like do this whole routine as many times as you can in 20 minutes, taking a few seconds of break only when you need them". Also while it's not required, it helps to be social, as people tend to encourage each other and there's always this feeling of shared hardships when you finally reach the end of a difficult workout that leaves everyone sweaty and sore.

They usually have free trial/beginner classes to show you the basic movements for a couple of classes before signing up for the regular workouts. Just make sure it's people that know what they're doing and not just some dude who's heard of it and opened a warehouse with freeweights.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    I forget who on these forums gave me this advice, but buy your self the book "enter the kettlebell" and a nice iron kettlebell or two. I went from pretty fat, to not so fat in about 4 months, and built up some serious muscle. I love my kettlebells and swear by them now. In fact, I'm just about to finish my work out with them after this post!

They're also way cheaper than a personal trainer.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Thanks all, there's obviously some other resources I had forgotten about.

I have checked out many of the threads here, and as awesome and filled with good info as they are, they just don't work for me. I tend to joke that I half assed my way into weight loss/decent shape but it's kinda the truth. I'm disciplined enough to maintain weight and keep a decent running scheduled but I just can't grasp nutrition/correct excercise form that's needed for toning up and getting rid of some of my spare tire.

The crossfit option looks really good. Annoyed already as most of the sites for the places around me seem to go out of the way not to mention cost, but I guess I'll check some of them out in person.

• Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Classes are a good way to get the benefit of a trainer without all the cost. I've found, in my minimal experience with a trainer, is that what they really give you is a level of intensity and motivation it's hard to get on your own. Honestly, if you get a workout partner with the same goals as you, set up a workout where you guys do the same thing a trainer would do (keeping up the tempo, etc etc).

• CherryCherry Registered User regular
    Kettle bells are awesome! Try it out for sure. I'm thinking of taking up kettle bells again.

If you want toning, I would suggest the Insanity program by Shaun T. I believe it's by the same people who did P90X? I did the Insanity program for a few weeks (intended for about 2 months). From just those two weeks I felt and saw a difference. Unfortunately due to my work schedule (I work a lot of shift work and it's really erratic) I wasn't able to keep up with the schedule, which is quite intense. As the program name indicates it's insane. It really works you. If you've hit a plateau I think this would be a more intense kick in the butt to get to the next level.

You don't require any equipment or even leave your own home. They're 30-60 minute workout videos. Be warned though, they are INSANE. But if you keep up with it you get results. I have seen people who followed the routine and are ridiculously fit and toned now.

• DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    A large number of personal trainers are mediocre, at best, sorry to say.

The ones that are good, though - holy shit. Worth every dollar. You probably aren't going to find any great trainers at chain gyms. Like with anything else, do your research.

Basically, if you find a trainer that talks about anatomy all the time - stuff like "oh, your neck is sore because this muscle connects here, which connects to your back here, which connects to your leg here, which I noticed is weaker by the way you squat. We'll strengthen that" is pretty much how you know you've found a good one.

Ask lots and lots of questions. Why is this important? Why is that important? What happens if I do this? Why should I avoid eating that? If they don't have answers for you, or give you super vague ones, don't give them your money.

They also should make you feel like they are giving you a regimine/diet that is tailored specifically for you. The more input you give them, the better.

Daemonion on
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    Cherry wrote: »
    Kettle bells are awesome! Try it out for sure. I'm thinking of taking up kettle bells again.

If you want toning, I would suggest the Insanity program by Shaun T. I believe it's by the same people who did P90X? I did the Insanity program for a few weeks (intended for about 2 months). From just those two weeks I felt and saw a difference. Unfortunately due to my work schedule (I work a lot of shift work and it's really erratic) I wasn't able to keep up with the schedule, which is quite intense. As the program name indicates it's insane. It really works you. If you've hit a plateau I think this would be a more intense kick in the butt to get to the next level.

You don't require any equipment or even leave your own home. They're 30-60 minute workout videos. Be warned though, they are INSANE. But if you keep up with it you get results. I have seen people who followed the routine and are ridiculously fit and toned now.

Another vote for the Insanity workouts.

These will destroy you, but you'll thank them for it.