As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft2] POST IN THE NEW THREAD. DIABLO KILLED THIS ONE.

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/5202424/Talking_Balance_with_David_Kim-4_26_2012#blog

David Kim talking about balance. Can be summed up as 'we think balance is pretty good right now and have no intention of changing anything'. This is based on ladder statistics. I'm getting the feeling that Kim doesn't even watch pros play SC2.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJhWWEko5Pk

Why didn't I think of this?

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    mEEksa wrote: »
    http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/5202424/Talking_Balance_with_David_Kim-4_26_2012#blog

David Kim talking about balance. Can be summed up as 'we think balance is pretty good right now and have no intention of changing anything'. This is based on ladder statistics. I'm getting the feeling that Kim doesn't even watch pros play SC2.

Shrug. I agree with him. Or at least, I don't think there's a strong reason to make balance changes right now as players are still adapting to recent trends. The ZvP thing isn't a balance problem but a fix-silliness with how things turn out.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    Streaming team games. Testing out my ghost keyboard app in the process.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    And now, a message from our sponsors:

A wild MLG qualifiers appeared!

Hey guys, we will be postponing our event due to some sudden unforseen scheduling conflicts between our guests and MLG qualifiers this weekend. We'll be rescheduling to a better time in May, so stay tuned.

- Your friendly neighborhood Team GameHeart
    rUqQU.jpg

So yeah, we have to postpone >.<'
    Sorry if we got ya'll hyped up too much.... we're going to move it to May.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    And now, a message from our sponsors:

A wild MLG qualifiers appeared!

Hey guys, we will be postponing our event due to some sudden unforseen scheduling conflicts between our guests and MLG qualifiers this weekend. We'll be rescheduling to a better time in May, so stay tuned.

- Your friendly neighborhood Team GameHeart
    rUqQU.jpg

So yeah, we have to postpone >.<'
    Sorry if we got ya'll hyped up too much.... we're going to move it to May.

Did you tell them that they wouldn't qualify anyways?

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Dude!

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    :(

Diamond Z tries to Roach/Bane bust my 3OC and fails, then dies to my 13 minute counter.

"Should have known you'd all-in faggot Terran player."

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Kambing wrote: »

Shrug. I agree with him. Or at least, I don't think there's a strong reason to make balance changes right now as players are still adapting to recent trends. The ZvP thing isn't a balance problem but a fix-silliness with how things turn out.

what the hell? am i reading a different article to you?

a 30% winrate on TvP cloud kingdom isn't a problem? Are they fucking HIGH?

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    You have bans, right?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    "Our current stance on this is we believe slight imbalances in maps actually make the game more interesting, as long as the imbalances aren’t too great."

How much worse than 70/30 imbalance does it have to be before its "too great"?

• Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    "Our current stance on this is we believe slight imbalances in maps actually make the game more interesting, as long as the imbalances aren’t too great."

How much worse than 70/30 imbalance does it have to be before its "too great"?

Even with that, Terran players are still at 50% against P

I can't say for sure because we have basically no information, but I bet that number is a lot closer in Masters/GM. It's 53% PvT on TLPD. Every map can't be balanced at every level.

TannerMS on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Kambing wrote: »

what the hell? am i reading a different article to you?

a 30% winrate on TvP cloud kingdom isn't a problem? Are they fucking HIGH?

they gotta be smoking some good shnizzle, too.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    wait, it's 30% for T or for P?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    dhal is moaning so it has to be t

• Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I thought cloud kingdom was one of the more balanced maps out there. Where did this stat come from?

edit: nm. Wow, that's pretty one sided. Wonder why. Does protoss benefit from an easy third more than terran? Or is it because it's hard to drop on that map?

fatalspoons on
  • Options
    I misheard on sotg

jeez marineking just lost to disgusting late game dt harass. disgusting because of how effective it is even watching him multitask like a god against it. I'd have folded like 10 minute sooner.

• Options
    RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    i love cloud kingdom

easy third ahoy

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    Has everyone already typed "zerg rush" into Google search? If not, I highly recommend it.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    I thought cloud kingdom was one of the more balanced maps out there. Where did this stat come from?

edit: nm. Wow, that's pretty one sided. Wonder why. Does protoss benefit from an easy third more than terran? Or is it because it's hard to drop on that map?

Very hard to drop or otherwise do air based harass because of lack of dead space, chokes on every major attack path, third is very difficult to defend because the placement of a command centre creates artifical chokes that prevent a good concave, the natural is tiny so defending forces against a 6 or 7gate don't have any better concave than the attackers, and because of all the choke attack paths, a Protoss not only is strong on the offense but is nearly unstoppable on the defense because storm absolutely murders you if you try to go through a choke, even with ghosts available.

its not IMPOSSIBLE to win, but its easy to see a 70% winrate for P.

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Saaruto wrote: »
    Has everyone already typed "zerg rush" into Google search? If not, I highly recommend it.

ROFL

• Options
    RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    holy shit that is awesome

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular

That's hilarious.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Hello, I'd like to post another TvP and ask for advice.

repimg-33-261885.jpg

My own thoughts:
    I think the 2Rax put me in a decent position, slight lead in everything. Expansion could have been a bit more timely though.
    The follow-up push was meh, 6 Marines and a Marauder for 2 Zealots, a Stalker, and 3 FFs is a wash in my book.
    The 4 Medivac drop felt good to me. I killed the Robo and some Sentries, traded semi-decently too.
    The attack after that went pretty well too I think. I took out the last of the Sentries and delayed his third. I'm 40 food up at the end of it and have my own third up and running.

This is where stuff starts to go downhill.
    17:30 I move out to his side of the map and Scan HTs. This really surprised me because up 'til now I've seen a Robo and Immortals but no Charge or Blink, which led me to expect Collosi, and I was prepared for that. I figure I can keep him on two bases with my larger army and push in when Ghost tech is done. That doesn't work at all though; when he pushes down the ramp I get wrecked. Should I have forgone the contain attempt? Or was it just an issue with my execution and bad micro? Anyway, it really throws me and my macro is pretty poor for the rest of the game.

I still have a strong econ lead afterward though, which keeps me in it despite the macro, and I've got some Ghosts now.
    Should I have attacked once I had a dozen Ghosts? I was concerned he would be getting Collosi out and I didn't have the Viking count to deal with them if he was. Watching the replay he was still building his Robo Bay, but what should I have gone off of to realize that?
    I end up turtling at 180 food and building Starports; was that a good idea? Ultimately, Collosi kill everything while the Reactors are building and I've only got a half dozen Vikings.

I suppose my primary concern is the engagement at 17:30 and whether I should have avoided that situation entirely, but advice on maxing out properly would also be appreciated.

Yilias on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    That Zerg Rush Easter Egg is pretty neat.

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Should I have attacked once I had a dozen Ghosts? I was concerned he would be getting Collosi out and I didn't have the Viking count to deal with them if he was. Watching the replay he was still building his Robo Bay, but what should I have gone off of to realize that?

There isn't really anything to go off of.

but basically if you scout HTs and you go ghosts as a response, attack as soon as you have 4-5 ghosts, because the more time you give him to transition to Colossus the worse off you will be. 1-2 Colossus can be mitigated with good EMPs on sentries preventing any sort of forcefielding, but 3-4 needs Vikings. When you scout HTs just get some ghosts and barrel down his throat.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    might just be stylistic but I've had liked you to start a third sooner, probably before that 4th rax. engi bay seemed a little late but I'm not used to working off 2 rax open.

drop did well, you're certainly up.

this attack where he has only immortals, I get why you pulled back but I think you should have not stopped until you had no more army. that's the best case scenario for a fight at this stage of the game since he has no splash.

ghosts are late. start the academy like right away when you take your third. never bad to have ghosts, worst case you don't make that many until he transitions

you could have taken out that third with a little more proactive scouting. you need to micro more during battles, stutter step and splitting. it's hard but you always have to do it or things like that will happen. food doesn't mean that much if they have a good comp and you have inadequate micro. ask thestc and parting.

at this point he's on three base with all his tech and without loads of constant production you're gonna be in a tough spot. in this scenario, assume he's going to go for whichever tech he doesn't already have. there was a window before his colossus hit that you could probably have smashed him with good emps/snipes/micro but once they were out it becomes much harder. I'd say be more aggressive just because of the matchup we're dealing with. it's not always that simple but it's generally a decent rule of thumb. especially once you're maxed, go immediately. trades favor you (obviously you have to keep them even but his units are worth so much more and take much longer)

when you're adding starports in a panic because colossus are already on the field, skip the reactors. honestly if you had done this and micro'd more you probably take that last fight.

edit - the engagement at 18:30, one you could have scouted that nexus before it was done. as it happens he wouldn't have been able to fight you because his templar didn't have energy.

another way would be to poke at him. waste his storms by pretending you're gonna commit. he's on 2 base, each storm is precious to him.

Variable on
  • Options
    Thank you both, you've been very helpful.

• Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Mvrck wrote: »

Ah it was posted here. Wondered why my thread got locked :(

Bamelin on
  • Options
    maruprime streaming

mkp still going

• Options
    Bamelin wrote: »

its usually also because anything game-related in G+T is expected to stay within the individual game thread.

• Options
    I"m watching a vod on gom from 2009 and I've heard "huge blunder" and "I think this is from GG" from tasteless already hahaha.

and then superdanielman just said "but at what cost" which is something I see mentioned less than those two from tasteless but you definitely hear in lots and lots of casts

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I"m watching a vod on gom from 2009 and I've heard "huge blunder" and "I think this is from GG" from tasteless already hahaha.

and then superdanielman just said "but at what cost" which is something I see mentioned less than those two from tasteless but you definitely hear in lots and lots of casts

Yeah he's been saying that stuff for years. All casters have some catch phrases they are forever using. Usually 99% of viewers can deal with it, but Tasteless has been a bit rusty with his SC2 of late. Hopefully he'll pick up again sometime soon, maybe he just needs Artosis to knock some sense into him sometime.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i don't think tasteless gives a shit about SC2 anymore but hopefully something rekindles his interest in it

• Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

its usually also because anything game-related in G+T is expected to stay within the individual game thread.

Google's been on a roll lately though ... I figured there are a lot of people who may not be Starcraft (thread) regulars but would still be interested in google's latest stunt.

My fav is still google PAC Man, with the dragon warrior google earth map quest thing a close second.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    dreamhack got a million uniques for stockholm, which is coo - i think they partnered with some big news sites in sweden to have it restreamed through there

dh summer is gonna be on swedish national tv i thinkkkk, svt or something like that

Biosys on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    for the record I still like tasteless plenty I just found it funny

also just won a game but didn't get any points :(. it was a little laggy too. I hope it updates but I'm hesitant to play a game until it does, it sucks to not see the effects.

edit - hah, there it goes.

Variable on
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular

Google's been on a roll lately though ... I figured there are a lot of people who may not be Starcraft (thread) regulars but would still be interested in google's latest stunt.

My fav is still google PAC Man, with the dragon warrior google earth map quest thing a close second.

soooo.... am I stupid, or missing something, or is the awesome thing about putting "zerg rush" in a google search only that
    the first suggestion is "zerg rush kekeke"

?

• Options
    a bunch of circles come and like, break down the page, and you can click them to kill them and it counts APM

doesn't seem to work for everyone though, maybe depends on browser or some setting somewhere

This discussion has been closed.