As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft2] POST IN THE NEW THREAD. DIABLO KILLED THIS ONE.

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    BMpm

I think MMMigggssss got the PA record for that...

although, I'd be curious to see Tanner's DBMPM.. (Drunken BMPM)

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    BOOM

HOTS DETAILS

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=335683
    Multiplayer resume from replay
    Global Play
    Multilanguage support
    Clan/group system
    Unranked matchmaking
    Multiplayer replay viewing

BOOM

Biosys on
  • Options
    the boom was for emphasis

global play yessssss

doesn't help me now i've bought this game three times but hopefully i won't have to do that for hots T.T

• Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Biosys wrote: »
    BOOM

HOTS DETAILS

Global Play
    Multilanguage support
    Clan/group system
    Unranked matchmaking

BOOM

Cool, I cant wait to pay another 40$ for features I should've had 2 years ago.
    mEEksa wrote: »
    Idra lost 0-4 to Morrow in the NASL showmatch. That puts him 0-16 in his last four showmatches.

0-4 Taeja
    0-4 aLive
    0-4 HuK
    0-4 Morrow

What a crazy slump.

This also owns. I wouldn't call it a slump. People are just better at the game now and his BW mechanics cant carry him to easy wins anymore.

What on
  • Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

BOOM

HOTS DETAILS

Global Play
    Multilanguage support
    Clan/group system
    Unranked matchmaking

BOOM

whose feet do i kiss?!

crucialityfactor on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    What wrote: »
    BOOM

HOTS DETAILS

Global Play
    Multilanguage support
    Clan/group system
    Unranked matchmaking

BOOM

I'm sure almost any SC2 fan would pay $40 for just the new campaign, units, and balance changes anyway so what's the big deal?

EDIT: Also I'm pretty sure most if not all of these changes will be added into the base game too, anyway, just around the same time as when HOTS comes out. So you can probably save your money and still get the new features I expect.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    BOOM

HOTS DETAILS

Global Play
    Multilanguage support
    Clan/group system
    Unranked matchmaking

BOOM

I'm sure almost any SC2 fan would pay $40 for just the new campaign, units, and balance changes anyway so what's the big deal?

'blizzard'

i should probably be annoyed that these features weren't in wol but i'm too happy to care~~

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    "At or around the release of HotS"

so... never.

I'll believe it when I see it.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Oh here we are
    In the midst of all this great community news, we want to announce some of the exciting things we’re working on this year for StarCraft II. Here's a list of some of the features we are planning to release at or around the launch of Heart of the Swarm:

Oh look you don't actually have to pay $40 for said features. Sure, it would've been nice to have them 2 years ago, but they aren't charging us for them now.

• Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    BOOM

HOTS DETAILS

Global Play
    Multilanguage support
    Clan/group system
    Unranked matchmaking

BOOM

Blizzard didn't say they'd be features specific to HOTS. In fact, the whole "at or around HOTS launch" kinda seems to indicate that it won't be.

But still, I have very little sympathy for people who either don't research what abilities come with a game, or know full well what is lacking, and still purchase the game, only to bitch about it two years later. No one forced you to buy Wings of Liberty.

I knew full well what I was getting with my 60 bucks and feel like I've gotten every penny's worth. So I'm going to take the more optimistic approach and say that I'm excited about these additional features. I like being excited. Makes me happier than being glib and self-entitled.

But that's just me.

fatalspoons on
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    BOOM

HOTS DETAILS

Global Play
    Multilanguage support
    Clan/group system
    Unranked matchmaking

BOOM

Oh thank fucking god. I had already resigned myself to never getting these features, but it seems Blizzard isn't completely incompetent when it comes to Battle.net. Honestly I would pay 40$ for this stuff alone.

• Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I knew full well what I was getting with my 60 bucks and feel like I've gotten every penny's worth.

I've gotten more value out of my two copies of SC2 than any other game I've ever played.

Vote Quimby! (I might have to start saying that instead of gg at the end of games...)

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Resuming from replays is going to be great for practising to play from a certain opening vs a certain opening. You can play out the first X minutes once and then resume from the replay every time you go again. :^:

815165 on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Vote Quimby! (I might have to start saying that instead of gg at the end of games...)

I like it
    815165 wrote: »
    Resuming from replays is going to be great for practising to play from a certain opening vs a certain opening. You can play out the first X minutes once and then resume from the replay every time you go again. :^:

I hope I can use it to make you guys help me practice against openings I'm terrible against. Like bunker rush.

fatalspoons on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I feel like you'll get the b.net 2 enhancements and multiplayer race updates for free-- that way everyone can play together regardless of buying the xpacs or not. The $40 buys you the single player campaign.

Kinda like how in WoW everyone got the talent and class changes that came out with each xpac, but you just couldn't travel to the next worlds or level higher if you didn't buy the xpac.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    My guess is not, I imagine they'll just segregate everyone by what expansions you have/don't. So there will be one bnet but two ladders, etc.

I can see them losing a lot of sales by giving away the MP stuff. Though it would save me some money.

815165 on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Oh thank jesus yes.

I own almost as many copies of the game as Artosis does, the thought of getting expansion packs for them all made me weep.

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    mastman wrote: »
    I feel like you'll get the b.net 2 enhancements and multiplayer race updates for free-- that way everyone can play together regardless of buying the xpacs or not. The $40 buys you the single player campaign.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it will work. It would make sense, yes, but Blizzard also likes money.

• Options
    They like money...just not enough to force you to buy the expansion 7 times

• Options
    itswebitsweb Registered User regular
    Oh man, awesome announcement. Now, let us all pray to our respective gods that the balance design team does a good job with that aspect of hots as well.

• Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    I really don't like the two ladders idea, should stick with one and move the upgrades/balance changes into multi only.

No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    itsweb wrote: »
    Oh man, awesome announcement. Now, let us all pray to our respective gods that the balance design team does a good job with that aspect of hots as well.

the balance must be kept

prepare

for collosus

that shoot four lasers

• Options
    itswebitsweb Registered User regular
    itsweb wrote: »

the balance must be kept

prepare

for collosus

that shoot four lasers

I think its time to make blue flame mutalisks a reality

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Clan tags, go!

[Wra]MMMig

[4TssGrl]MMMig

Migs-Wraaaaaa

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    [No.2UK]biosys

one day...

i will become no. 1...

Biosys on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I can play in any region once this happens? coooooooooool

this is all pretty awesome

clan stuff should be awesome, unranked matchmaking will hopefully mean you can 1v1 on something other than shattered fucking temple without laddering.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Clan support? Does this mean we can start a PA clan? We can worship starcraft themed gods, wear white robes, shave our nutsacks and eventually drink poisonous kool-aid when a comet flies by on the hopes that our souls will be transported to Aiur.

Or wait. Am I confusing clan with cult again?

No matter. Let's start discussing what flavor of kool-aid we want to use.

• Options
    i was going to say that you were confusing clan with cult...but you beat me to it.
    f u

• Options
    815165 wrote: »
    My guess is not, I imagine they'll just segregate everyone by what expansions you have/don't. So there will be one bnet but two ladders, etc.

I can see them losing a lot of sales by giving away the MP stuff. Though it would save me some money.

yeh, WoL and HOTs MP will be segregated. I don't think they've figured out a way to sell hats/skins to make microtransaction money for sc2...

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    If you have unranked matchmaking, how does it match you? Do you just get placed against random people?

That sounds like a lot of painful losses for weaker players and a lot of boring stomps for stronger players.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    If you have unranked matchmaking, how does it match you? Do you just get placed against random people?

That sounds like a lot of painful losses for weaker players and a lot of boring stomps for stronger players.

i would guess that it would be like LoL's system where there's a hidden ELO (for LoL) MMR for sc2. They just will never place you in a tier, show you points, etc.

I hope that this coincides with being able to see your record in ranked.

But I do have to say, I like all the announced changes, and have more hope of them making it into HoTS/released around HoTS than most of the unit changes.

• Options

. We also intend to have our first version of unranked play so you will have the ability to match-make against like-skilled players without having to affect your ladder ranking while you practice off-race or experiment with a new build order.

naw, thankfully

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Sounds simple enough.

Use the ladder ranking system, just don't have the games count.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    Sounds simple enough.

pretty much this... good for when you're struggling, working on something new, etc...

it will prbly also mean that ladder will become even more intense as casuals will play the "unranked", so that could be interesting...

• Options
    That doesn't make much sense to me. Ladder games already don't count and apparently you won't win more than you already do. It's not even unranked, it's 'ranked but we'll pretend it isn't and just not tell you what you're ranked' matchmaking.

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    That doesn't make much sense to me. Ladder games already don't count and apparently you won't win more than you already do. It's not even unranked, it's 'ranked but we'll pretend it isn't and just not tell you what you're ranked' matchmaking.

some people literally need this in order for them to play, don't want to hurt seemingly precious ladder ranking, etc

will be nice for offracing, i guess

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options

I think it's an encouragement thing, there's loads of times I'll get home tired and want to play some star crafts but know that in my tired state I'll play even worse than usual, so I end up just not playing because I'll be irritated if playing when I know I'm not going to be near my best gets me a ladder demotion.

• Options
    badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Joe K wrote: »
    Sounds simple enough.

pretty much this... good for when you're struggling, working on something new, etc...

it will prbly also mean that ladder will become even more intense as casuals will play the "unranked", so that could be interesting...

I'm surprised they're doing this.

I always previously thought of it as, for lower level players, you may have ladder anxiety, but having to see a ranking you might not be too happy with is the price you pay for getting to use the very good matchmaking system to give you even games. You let the ladder place you and it gives everybody who plays an accurate representation of how their skill stands.

If you no longer have to pay even that price, I could see the ladder getting really really skewed and considerably more intimidating for casual players than it already is, as today's lower level players depart en masse for unranked matchmaking. I may be Gold now; I wouldn't be surprised if, with no change in actual skill level, I could easily drop to Bronze when HotS rolls around, because anyone who plays more casually even than I do just won't want to be on the ladder anymore at all.

Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    It is at least possible that unranked matchmaking won't affect your MMR. It would be better for practicing in that case, though worse for matching perfectly.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    badger2d wrote: »
    Joe K wrote: »
    Sounds simple enough.

I'm surprised they're doing this.

I always previously thought of it as, for lower level players, you may have ladder anxiety, but having to see a ranking you might not be too happy with is the price you pay for getting to use the very good matchmaking system to give you even games. You let the ladder place you and it gives everybody who plays an accurate representation of how their skill stands.

If you no longer have to pay even that price, I could see the ladder getting really really skewed and considerably more intimidating for casual players than it already is, as today's lower level players depart en masse for unranked matchmaking. I may be Gold now; I wouldn't be surprised if, with no change in actual skill level, I could easily drop to Bronze when HotS rolls around, because anyone who plays more casually even than I do just won't want to be on the ladder anymore at all.

I assume Blizz will pool both queues into a single queue and grant or penalize points solely for the ranked player. If they do in fact use the same rankings for unranked, and just hide them, it would be no different from regular ladder.

This discussion has been closed.