As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forum culture

1246710

Posts

  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I tend to lurk more than post in D&D because I find that usually by the time I get to a thread my opinion on the topic has already been pretty thoroughly explored by the D&D regulars.

    I post in SE++ because it's hilarious.

    People are mean to eachother there for the sake of humor, until someone doesn't get that it's a joke and gets defensive and/or is generally stupid. Then we're mean to that person for the sake of making them cry.

    Sami on
    Preacher wrote:
    That's the kicker, not only is our healthcare not cutting mustard we are overpaying for shitty healthcare. We have the olive garden of healthcare.
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Seriously though, you're right, SE is a hell hole. Here are some examples

    OH GOD THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT HEROES!

    <snip>

    OH GOD THEY'RE... I CAN BARELY EVEN TYPE IT... POSTING PICTURES OF KITTENS!

    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=14838

    Seriously though, grow up.
    It's the lack of clear topicality and constant noise of three or four completely tangential posts surrounding every topic moving through a thread that always kept me away, but I've recently been messing around over there and I reckon it's a lot cooler than quick skims had previously let on.

    The Green Eyed Monster on
    wisdom wrote:
    if knowledge is power and power corrupts, be smart, be evil
  • aquabataquabat Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I bet we've been together for a million years

    And I'll bet we'll be together for a million more
    Oh It's like I started breathing on the night we kissed
    And I can't remember what I ever did before

    What would we do baby without us
    What would we do baby without us
    And there ain't no nothing we can't help each other through
    What would we do baby without us. Sha-la-la-la

    aquabat on
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I just go to whatever forum I choose. They're all fraggin' cool.










    SE++ is best.

    Wallhitter on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Yeah, see, that just doesn't cut it, ege02. If you'd been honest and said "sorry, I was ignorant," I think more people would have respected you. Considering your tone in that thread and your general tone, I don't buy for a second that you were just joking.

    The fact is, we all suffer from ignorance now and then, even regarding embarrassing topics, or basic knowledge that other people expect you to know. No man is omniscient. Nobody knows everything about everything. So, ignorance about a topic now and then is just a normal Human characteristic. I *do* believe you really didn't know how a vagina works. I *don't* believe you were joking. And, unfortunately, you created that perception yourself.

    Ignorance is normal from time to time. Just own up to it and things will be fine, usually.

    If you have to know, a member of my extended family (second uncle's daugher to be exact) has been raped three years ago.

    Now, with that piece of crucial information in mind, think again: would I honestly think rape is not painful?

    So no, I wasn't serious when I said it. It was basically like dropping a pebble in a well and getting fucking drenched, on my part.

    ege02 on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I mostly stick to G&T. Gaming is my main hobby and so the discussions interest me a lot more and I've grown to understand all the in jokes and memes and know the people.

    D&D I like to lurk in and post sometimes because I find most of the topics to be interesting and again, I've learned most of the in jokes and grown to know the people.

    I like to lurk in H&A just because I find it enetertaining and interesting.

    I stay away from SE++ because it's just so wildly different from the forums I usually go to and I much prefer a more structured environment.

    This is exactly how I feel. G&T is just where my main interest lies, but D&D is like my secret lurker haven where I pipe in occasionally, but mostly just read through for the interesting debate and occasionally some discourse.

    Sceptre on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am known all the forums wide. Mostly because I'm so totally, totally gay. True story: A Duck joins the team I'm on in City of Villains, and we're running missions, and he takes the time to compliment(?) me on how totally, utterly, gay my character is. He's like "Wow, you really made an effort, that is so gay." And I'm like "Thanks!"

    But seriously, I post in D&D because it's the right blend of seriousness and silly, and it also moves at a pace I feel I can keep up with. I enjoy SE++ but it moves far too quickly, but I think the people there are funny and pretty cool, I just don't have the time. I also post in Graphic Violence purely because of the subject matter, while my comic peen isn't nearly enough to make me shine there, I find it an excellent source of info and I've been turned on to some really amazing comics by the guys there. G&T, I dunno. I've posted there a few times.

    Regina Fong on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    It helps if you think of the subforums like countries.

    Games and Tech is like the United States. Every other forum dislikes them, however, some people like certain threads (states) in there. People like to stick to their own threads of choosing. It's ever so slightly conservative. Holds grudges against certain people.


    Debate and Discourse is like Canada. They think they're hot shit and always like to philosphize about everything. They believe they're based more in reality than any other forum, and is about 90% liberal. Holds grudges against certain people, and then makes them mods.


    SE++ is like Africa. Nobody knows what the fuck is going on, but somehow it survives. Everybody just does their own things. Holds grudges against certain people, then invades their Livejournal.

    Artists Corner is like Switzerland. Everyone likes to look at it but nobody dares go in. Holds grudges against people, and then draws pictures of them in compromising positions.

    The Circus of Bug Reports and User Issues is like the UN. It passes non-binding resolutions and then forgets about them. They keep a "bad list" but put them on the Human Rights council. Holds grudges against people and posts their IP.

    The other subforums are like the little islands in the pacific ocean - they exist, but don't have much people in them.

    FyreWulff on
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All the stigma's about the various subforums comes in when people don't lurk enough in a particular place, I think.

    G&T does not have a horrid amount of fanboyism. It's one of the most rational gaming communities on the net. If people dislike sony, its because they deserve it. If Nintendo has become the ultimate cult obsession, its because their games are fun. If any three of the major console makers does something horribly stupid upon the morrow, they will get flack for it.

    D&D I have less experience with, but I can tell just from lurking here often that you guys aren't stuck up snobs who go off the rail every two seconds. Also,humor and sillyness still exist here, just not to a chaotic and disruptive extent.

    SE++ is the embodiment of chaotic humor. Its out of control in a good way. People have fun there and don't give a shit. Its all those off-topic boards all over the net filled with 12 year olds scaled up to an adult level. It also comes with its own set of rules that you have to learn by lurking before you post, which scares some people off. While this is understandable, you shouldn't write off the board just because of the dick jokes. And plus, kittens. Oh, and Vagina's currently.

    This is all my opinion of course, and perhaps some people aren't as flexible as others when it comes to societal integration. Just my 2 cents.

    Shurakai on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »


    SE++ is like Africa. Nobody knows what the fuck is going on, but somehow it survives. Everybody just does their own things. Holds grudges against certain people, then invades their Livejournal.


    Oh man, I laughed so hard.

    Sigged.

    Sceptre on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FyreWulff is a 100% dead on.

    Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Shurakai wrote: »
    G&T does not have a horrid amount of fanboyism. It's one of the most rational gaming communities on the net. If people dislike sony, its because they deserve it. If Nintendo has become the ultimate cult obsession, its because their games are fun. If any three of the major console makers does something horribly stupid upon the morrow, they will get flack for it.
    A lot of the 360 people more or less abandoned the PA forums and lit off for a splinter forum some time ago. And, yeah, Sony's done a lot of arrogant things that piss off gamers lately.

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    H/A is Singapore.

    Still technically a free country, but if you're used to the other free countries, you're likely to do something that's going to get you imprisoned/executed.

    I honestly think more regulars get in trouble there than newbies, but my impression could be wrong.

    Thanatos on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    H/A is Singapore.

    Still technically a free country, but if you're used to the other free countries, you're likely to do something that's going to get you imprisoned/executed.

    I honestly think more regulars get in trouble there than newbies, but my impression could be wrong.

    Singapore lacks a figurehead as divisive as the iron-fisted Pheezer though. :lol:

    Regina Fong on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Seriously though, you're right, SE is a hell hole. Here are some examples

    OH GOD THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT HEROES!

    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=12351

    OH GOD THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=13267

    OH GOD THEY'RE CREATING AMUSING CARTOONS AND POSTING THEM FOR THE AMUSEMENT OF OTHERS

    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=14699

    OH GOD THEY'RE HELPING EACH OTHER OUT WITH MUSIC THEORY

    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=15782

    OH GOD THEY'RE... I CAN BARELY EVEN TYPE IT... POSTING PICTURES OF KITTENS!

    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=14838

    Seriously though, grow up.

    The cat thread was the only one I could tolerate, simply because I could ignore what everyone was saying and look at amusing pictures. But your picks demonstrate how, at the bare minimum, half of all posts made there are worthless. Now I'm all for discussing TV shows, but there are plenty of places to do that without needing to wade through "baked beans", "wait what", and irrelevant crap that isn't amusing to me. If you like that, fine. But to me, the place is just intolerable.

    (edit) Oh and on the cat thread it took 7 whole pages for people to start posting shock images. Such endurance!

    RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    H/A is Singapore.

    Still technically a free country, but if you're used to the other free countries, you're likely to do something that's going to get you imprisoned/executed.

    I honestly think more regulars get in trouble there than newbies, but my impression could be wrong.
    Singapore lacks a figurehead as divisive as the iron-fisted Pheezer though. :lol:
    Actually, recently, I've been way out-pacing pheezer in disciplinary actions.

    I think I've been way out-pacing pretty much every mod in disciplinary actions. I've been trying to figure out if it's because I'm too much of a hardass, or just the nature of the area which I mod.

    I'm leaning towards the latter, but I'm certainly biased.

    Thanatos on
  • HankStamperHankStamper Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I'm a little dissapointed to see that Graphic Violence is going unloved. It is, in my opinion, the best source of information on the forums. Downside is you have to be pretty into comics to really "hang out" in there, which it seems that most of the interweb is not.

    HankStamper on
    never give a inch
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

    Honestly, I have made the effort.

    I have created threads that are completely unrelated to sex and relationships, only to be trolled and flamed with "lolo rape doesn't hurt".

    Then I gave up.

    The only reason I appear self-oriented is because whenever I am in D&D, I have to switch to my alter-ego and put a sort of wall around myself to prevent all the ege-hate from affecting me. It's hard to explain. You may find it hard to believe but I'm actually quite a normal dude in real life. *shrug*


    I believe you bro, even I've heard about that "rape doesn't hurt woman joke" and have heard it getting spread around, but what you never hear about is how people come back to apologize for stuff. People just love kickin other people around for as long as possible.

    Obs on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    D&D has a great mix of intelligent people, people with common sense, and people with experience in life. There’s even a few with all three! The topics usually aren't *stupid* or pointless, and most of the time they're pretty thought provoking. Hell, I've altered my opinion on an occasion or two because of someone else's post. That’s good shite!

    I also like G&T, but I seldom post there; I'm not as big into games as I used to be since my son was born.

    H/A is freakin weird. A guy started a thread because he couldn't get his girlfriend wet with his fingers anymore. I'm not picking on the guy or saying that the thread was fucking stupid, but it is a strange first thread to see when you venture into a different forum the first time. At least he was seeking help, I guess

    Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    H/A is freakin weird. A guy started a thread because he couldn't get his girlfriend wet with his fingers anymore. I'm not picking on the guy or saying that the thread was fucking stupid, but it is a strange first thread to see when you venture into a different forum the first time. At least he was seeking help, I guess
    The whole point of H/A is to be able to ask about things there's no way in hell you would ever ask someone in real life, and get answers without being made fun of.

    Obviously, there are other types of topics, but that's where it comes in most handy.

    Thanatos on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    redx wrote: »
    hacksaw wrote:
    Plus, most of the regulars here aren't shit-streaking retards. That's more of a bonus, though.
    There are very few regs here who I don't have a fair amount of respect for.

    Shucks. You're not so bad yourself, big guy.

    Only read the first page and a half, but I mostly echo the same reasons. I started out in G&T, left for awhile, came back to G&T, wandered over here, left for awhile, and came back.

    I'm not much of a gamer anymore. I occasionally go over to G&T to read up on a few tech tidbits and old game musing. SE scares me, what with its rampant injokes and seeming inability to stick to half the topics. H/A means nothing to me, so I never go there. Like in real life, I try and hang around with those people who actually know about stuff. A disgusting number of educated/smart/witty/hipster-type people around here, which makes for a nice mix. I originally thrived in the megathreads. With those gone, I mostly stick to the chat thread and post in the occasional music and movie threads, as that is all I'm really into. Hanging around here exposes me to world events and viewpoints (feminist, atheist, different nationalities) that I would normally not come across or consider.

    And then we exist in some weird vacuum where we can have all that and a whole lot of quasi-ironic gay loving going on at the same time.

    Where the hell else could I speak with a German, a Norwegian, several Australians, and Canadians at the same time, sharing content both trivial and intriguing, and still be masturbating to porn moments later?

    No, really, I want to know. Is it England? I bet it's England.

    Gim on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    What properties must one have in order to be considered a respected forumer?

    Obs on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Depends on the forum.

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    G&T is where I started, because god damn it, I love video games.

    I enjoy serious discussions and such, but I often don't get into a topic until what I want to say has already been said, and in a better fashion. So really, I'm more of a lurker here in D&D.

    When I started reading comic books again about a year or so ago, Graphic Violence became a cool place to post in.

    And when it was created, Of Dice and Men gave me a nice place to talk about CCGs, RPGs, and other non-video games.

    Really, with the exception of H/A and SE++, all the subforums are pretty boring unless you are actually interested in the subject matter they revolve around.

    I don't think anyone could make H/A their main forum unless they were a damn shrink or summat.

    I started posting in SE++ after the G&T chat thread was killed. It took a while, but I'm liking it now. I don't think they're any more xenophobic than any other subforum here, but they'll probably say crazier things to you.

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Is there any one forumer who is respected no matter which forum he goes to?

    Obs on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    What properties must one have in order to be considered a respected forumer?
    In D&D, most of it is to fuck worrying about being respected, and worry about providing insight, or content of some sort. Posting non-sequiturs everywhere is a good way to piss people off, because the whole point of D&D is being the "on-topic" forum. Even our chat threads are on-topic to a degree.

    If you're going to engage in personal attacks, at least have a little wit about it, and don't resort to ad hominems (you are X, therefore you're wrong). If you're going to say something controversial, back it up with evidence of some sort.

    Thanatos on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I don't think anyone could make H/A their main forum unless they were a damn shrink or summat.
    Fuck you.

    H/A has always been my main forum. Me, and, like, maybe one or two other guys.

    Thanatos on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    Is there any one forumer who is respected no matter which forum he goes to?

    Not posting the same thing multiple times, for starters.

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I don't think anyone could make H/A their main forum unless they were a damn shrink or summat.
    Fuck you.

    H/A has always been my main forum. Me, and, like, maybe one or two other guys.

    Mods don't count. You're required to hang out there a whole lot.

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    Is there any one forumer who is respected no matter which forum he goes to?
    Robert Khoo.

    Thanatos on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I don't think anyone could make H/A their main forum unless they were a damn shrink or summat.
    Fuck you.

    H/A has always been my main forum. Me, and, like, maybe one or two other guys.
    Mods don't count. You're required to hang out there a whole lot.
    I've only modded there, like, six months.

    I was a regular there for three years before that.

    Thanatos on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I don't think anyone could make H/A their main forum unless they were a damn shrink or summat.
    Fuck you.

    H/A has always been my main forum. Me, and, like, maybe one or two other guys.
    Mods don't count. You're required to hang out there a whole lot.
    I've only modded there, like, six months.

    I was a regular there for three years before that.

    Then you must just be unusually chock full of helpful information. Or have a hell of a lot of questions.

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    H/A is freakin weird. A guy started a thread because he couldn't get his girlfriend wet with his fingers anymore. I'm not picking on the guy or saying that the thread was fucking stupid, but it is a strange first thread to see when you venture into a different forum the first time. At least he was seeking help, I guess
    The whole point of H/A is to be able to ask about things there's no way in hell you would ever ask someone in real life, and get answers without being made fun of.

    Obviously, there are other types of topics, but that's where it comes in most handy.


    I felt like an ass because I started to type "You have to lick her before you stick her", but then decided not to as I wasn't sure how well that would have been recieved. Also, probably not the best 1st post you can make in a new subforum.

    Off topic I know, but it illustrates why I don't go there anymore... I don't know how to behave in "social" enviorments.... I guess.

    Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Really, I just came here looking for a good Digimon forum, since I had it on good faith that most of the discussions here centered around Digimon, but eventually settled for just posting about dark themes and angst instead.

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Really, I just came here looking for a good Digimon forum, since I had it on good faith that most of the discussions here centered around Digimon, but eventually settled for just posting about dark themes and angst instead.
    ^^ IN-JOKE ^^

    The Green Eyed Monster on
    wisdom wrote:
    if knowledge is power and power corrupts, be smart, be evil
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I'm proud of my ability to be a member since 2003 and still have newbie status.

    Wallhitter on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Really, I just came here looking for a good Digimon forum, since I had it on good faith that most of the discussions here centered around Digimon, but eventually settled for just posting about dark themes and angst instead.

    Are you saying that oDaM is like Brazil? Where horrible atrocities go to live out the rest of their days and procreate?

    DevoutlyApathetic on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Really, I just came here looking for a good Digimon forum, since I had it on good faith that most of the discussions here centered around Digimon, but eventually settled for just posting about dark themes and angst instead.
    ^^ IN-JOKE ^^
    Well thanks for ruining it.

    hehe. shrimpy.

    Fencingsax on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Really, I just came here looking for a good Digimon forum, since I had it on good faith that most of the discussions here centered around Digimon, but eventually settled for just posting about dark themes and angst instead.
    Are you saying that oDaM is like Brazil? Where horrible atrocities go to live out the rest of their days and procreate?
    Okay, if you're going to bother punctuating it, you may as well do it right:

    "ODaM." The "O" is capitalized because it's the first word of the title, regardless of the fact that, as part of a title, you could normally not capitalize it. First and last words of a proper title are always capitalized.

    Thanatos on
Sign In or Register to comment.