As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prototype 2 (AKA: The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction 3)

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think it was @Morninglord
    here is the g and t thread

combos
    I see Heller as hating Blackwatch specifically. Particularly after
    he got to speak with Mercer and get a different perspective on things.

I don't share your view that he has beef with the world at large. After all, his intel report at the beginning spells it out: he has an unnatural fixation on Mercer as the cause of death of his wife and child. Nothing about his condition would suggest to me that he'd become apathetic about people in general. Maybe he doesn't value his life so much, but I don't see that extending to others. After all, he isn't suffering memory loss like Mercer was, and so he isn't having to develop a moral compass as he goes. His identity is intact, for the most part, and he seemed like a stand-up guy in the intro (if a little naive). He's still him, just now with freaky, unnatural super-powers.

You could make the case that his new found inhumanity might shape his personality going forward--that's something I'll have to see for myself as I progress. My Mercer certainly started acting less human as the first Prototype went on. But as of right now? Heller's still the good guy torn between revenge and altruism, with the two overlapping quite a bit.

That's a nice argument. You won me over. I'm really not thinking about it very hard mate I don't really care about story all that much.
    It's impressive enough to me that it made me not feel like targetting civilians.

It's a nice story this time around but that's really not why I'm here.

So combos. Lets talk about combos.
    Most attacks share a basic 4 hit combo with two start up attacks a third medium hitter and a last big hitter. Possibly the easiest example is the big ol double tendril whammy if you get to the end of the combo. Why does this merit paying attention to?
    Cos you can alternate either of your weapons. you can do three claw attacks straight into the last hit of the tendril combo, for example.
    Some of the hammerfist enders are really huge aoes that knock people flying, getting to it after three very fast claw attacks ups your effectiveness when fighting enemies a lot.

For claw/blade, the first two hits of blade are relatively slow, but the third hit is actually a pretty quick four slice multi slash thing before the last overheard chop. So doing two claws then two blades eliminates blades startup weakness. You get fast high damage.

This is very cool because it lets you do all sorts of neat things. Hammerfists tend to knock enemies into the air, so you can claw enemies until the last hit, then that will knock them up into the air, then you can claw leap them mid air. Stuff like that.

It is supremely bad ass to be clawing into some dude then bust out the fourth hit of tendril and he goes splurtch all over the place. :D
    It takes a little bit of extra effort to pay attention to the number of hits but its rewarding in the end.

edit: Sometimes the number of hits you need to do changes depending on the weapons you are combining. It isn't always four.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    I got this game. I'm not feeling the story like I did the first one, but the gameplay is really fun.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Finished this game
    Final boss fight was alright, the second phase of the fight was infuriating because pressing the block button before the QTE prompt appeared caused you to fail which doesn't make any sense.

And did the game really cut out to credits awkwardly after Dana asked what they were going to do next?

• Options
    Can someone please tell me how to unlock the bio-bomb butt-kicker? I went to psn store and didn't know where to put my code.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Just cross posting this here for you guys.

@DouglasDanger

I think this is the kind of thing you are looking for. I wont mention the combo thing again since you already know.

Powers
    Claw
    • Claw Lunge can be used once in the air.
    • Claw Lunge can be used from the ground and then again in the air. eg stand on ground, lunge a helicopter, do it again in the air to finish.
    • Claw Lunge can be cancelled with glide or dash in order to gain distance in the air. eg lunge a far away target, cancel with glide, air grab that target.
    • This can be used in combination with repeated jumps to quickly hit and away bigger targets since the lunge will hit in mid air. For example the first Hydra I killed with air lunge, dash soon as it connects, jump, dash, air lunge. It couldn't touch me and I was perfectly safe from all it's ground attacks. I held sprint down while doing this.
    • Claw lunge will make a human target break off their attack. eg a rocket man will stop aiming his rocket during the lunge because they have to do the canned "oh shit" attempt at diving away from you.

Tendrils
    • Only one Black Hole attack in the air
    • Can't get knocked out of the Black Hole animation (still take damage though) This also means you can't cancel it with glide or dash.
    • If you hit a brawler or juggernaught with the normal attacks they will be "pinned" in place and if you have claw/blade/whip on the other button you can rip off an arm for extremely heavy damage or just keep wailing on them with tendril combos until they break out of it.
    • Occasionally you can do a second jump after Black Hole ends. Press jump after it ends, if it works you got lucky. I haven't worked out a consistent timing.
    • Probably the best crowd control power if you don't mind eating attacks during black hole. It usually works out in your favour, but not always.
    • Second best anti armor power.
    • Juggernaughts will often block Black Hole.

Blade
    • Not a bad anti armor power against a single target if you use charged blade drops. The "rebound" effect actually completely negates the normal recovery of this move and the damage it does against armor isn't worthless.
    • Juggernaughts can't block charged blade drop.
    • If you hit a brawler with all 4 hits of tornado spin they will be knocked away.
    • Evolved aren't too bright about avoiding charged blade drop.
    • Super soldiers have a really hard time blocking or countering the default blade combo. A single super soldier will normally eat all of it.
    • The non charge air attack actually travels pretty far, nowhere near as far as claw lunge though.
    • Jack of all trades master of none.
    • Blade drop can be cancelled with glide or dash if you do it accidentally.
    • It's the games default anti-goliath power.

Hammerfists
    • All spike based attacks knock infected opponents into the air. Repeated Hammerfist dives is a completely safe method of killing multiple infected like brawlers and juggernaughts. Just dive until they are edible.
    • 4th hit in the ground combo is a big spike attack. You can use eg claws to get up to this attack quickly by hitting claw three times then hammerfist.
    • All it's attacks have humongous aoe and will stun/interrupt tanks/apcs so they wont do anything while being hit.
    • Elbow drop always bounces up after landing now instead of lying on the ground helpless. This makes it very useful for killing packs of soldiers.
    • Elbow drop can also do the claw lunge "hit and away" strategy I mentioned earlier on big opponents like Juggernaughts.
    • The grounded charged spike attack does the heaviest damage to big infected.
    • Best all around power for fighting anything on the ground.
    • Combos very well with tendrils for fighting armor. Do air black hole on a tank, then hammerfist dive it, leap into air again, repeat.

Whip
    • Whip grab can only be used on the ground. It's range is much longer than Prototype 1 if you charge grab.
    • Whip grab doesn't use up your air grab. Whip grab helicopter -> finisher -> air grab another one -> finisher. Use glide to cancel the fall after doing the whip finisher.
    • Air charged attack can be used repeatedly if you dash or glide in between attacks. It's the only charged attack that can be used multiple times in the air.
    • Both ground and air based charge attack do excellent damage to all infected opponents. Jumping and doing charged whip attack can be used to safely damage and kill any infected opponent, brawler, juggy, evolved, goliath, whatever.
    • Easily the most overpowered bladed power. It can do everything. Anti air, pull humans to you for biobombs, safe killing of infected, easy ground aoe for clearing out packs. Everything. Even just pulling yourself over to tanks for finishers. Got a problem? This has an answer.

Biobomb
    • You are unstunnable during the "poke a bomb into the person" animation.
    • If you have an active biobomb guy in your hands and they get knocked out of your hands they will go off.
    • Highest damage anti armor attack Heller has. It is common to one shot tanks with this. Very rare that it doesn't one shot a helicopter. Sometimes more than one if they are close by. Damage can be slightly variable though.

Shield
    • You are completely untouchable by anything in freeroam while shielding. Only certain boss attacks and special enemies you only get in missions can get through a shield. (Usually anything that says "press x to dodge")
    • If you are not targetting anything a shield parry will return all rockets/missiles/tank shots etc to whoever fired it. 50 rocket men shoot you at the same time? 1 shield parry and all 50 get their rocket back.
    • If you are targetting something while doing a shield parry all rebounded projectiles will hit that target instead.
    • If you get hit in the air shield will cancel the knockdown instantly.
    • If you are hit on the ground it depends on the attack but most knockdowns can be cancelled into shield. Any knockback that puts heller into the air can be cancelled into shield. You can shield in between hits in enemy brawler combos.
    • This is slightly weird, but if you've run out of dashes and want a tiny bit extra distance the shield animation will slide you that extra bit you need.
    • All basic mashy ground combos can be cancelled into shield at any point. Most charged attacks cannot be cancelled into shield. So eg wailing on tanks with hammerfist ground combos while shield parrying projectiles at the tank you are comboing (or back at whoever fired it).

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScOycptsmDU&list=UUmeds0MLhjfkjD_5acPnFlQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Dang it Prototype I was happy putting you down for a while to play other games

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    That didn't really explain Air time properly.
    Pressing glide after doing a dash will give you more height and flatten out your glide for a while. Air time lets you do that infinitely without needing to dash. aka you can fly.
    You just drop to lose height and repeatedly press r2 to gain height.
    It's pretty cool.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    i wanna know what's gonna be in the excessive force pack

esp the skins

the teaser image makes me think an Armor skin

• Options
    Buttlord wrote: »
    i wanna know what's gonna be in the excessive force pack

esp the skins

the teaser image makes me think an Armor skin

The artbook shows armour and zombie skins with 'DLC concept' in brackets, so probably.

• Options
    The colossal mayhem pack doesn't really interest me.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    infected heller looks neat, i'll grab it and see what it adds.

• Options
    The finisher/consume move when you have the tendrils and the blade active together is amazing!

The level four claws are ridiculously huge, forget what I said about Heller looking like a Deathclaw from Fallout. I think Deathclaws would be envious of Heller's claws.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    What do you mean active together? I've never noticed any special consume. It just defaults to the consume animation of the one you used last.
    What creature did you do it on? Brb gotta go eat a bunch of stuff.

Waiiiiit I think I know which one you mean. The default blade consume animation is using a tendril to leap up and ricochet through them. You don't need tendrils out to see it. It'll always happen with blade.

Gonna eat a bunch of stuff anyway why not eh.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Don't know if anyone here gives a shit but Yahtzee gave this game a good review. Well, a good review in his style at least.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    What do you mean active together? I've never noticed any special consume. It just defaults to the consume animation of the one you used last.

there's one if you use the consume finisher on a brawler where he'll grab it with the tendrils, kick off, and slingshot back to cut it in half with the blade

• Options

there's one if you use the consume finisher on a brawler where he'll grab it with the tendrils, kick off, and slingshot back to cut it in half with the blade

yeah that's the blade consume animation

it doesn't matter what secondary power you have out if you used a blade attack then consume a brawler you get that

• Options

yeah that's the blade consume animation

it doesn't matter what secondary power you have out if you used a blade attack then consume a brawler you get that

oh, damn
    i was thinking you had different animations depending on which pair of powers you had active

oh well
    it is still awesome as hell

• Options
    i am having trouble with the timing when attempting to reflect rockets back at their launcher with the shield

• Options
    beep beep beep BEEEEE (press now)

• Options
    thanks for the tip

i think the tendril arms look the coolest, but i might be biased, because asymmetry bothers me

• Options
    edited May 2012
    don't claws and hammerfists have symmetry? have you upgraded them all yet? they change in appearance as they get upgraded.

the other telltale for rockets and missiles is the laser sight. it fades on and off initially. just before impact it will turn a solid bright blue.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    yeah, the claws and hammer fists also have symmetry

i have the most fun with something + tendrils
    if i am fighting a bunch of enemies, i tend to use claws, but i am experimenting with hammer fists and i just got the whip fist
    i use the blade for just a few enemies, or if i am focusing on one enemy while evading a bunch, i use the tendrils to keep the others away

• Options
    Hammerfist is the best power for brawler parties. Hammerfist dive. Air time for everyone!

A not very practical but nevertheless hilarious thing is to do a normal whip attack on the brawler in mid air. It gets bitchsmacked out of the air down the street.

• Options
    Hammerfist is the best power for brawler parties. Hammerfist dive. Air time for everyone!

A not very practical but nevertheless hilarious thing is to do a normal whip attack on the brawler in mid air. It gets bitchsmacked out of the air down the street.

i punched one as it jumped to the top of a building i was standing on a minute ago

sent that fucker flying

• Options
    edited May 2012

i punched one as it jumped to the top of a building i was standing on a minute ago

sent that fucker flying

awesome
    im gonna try and replicate that

i had one stuck in a corner at one point and managed to juggle it about three or four times with the whip before it hit the ground. been meaning to try that again but i always pull out the hammerfists whenever i see them because i like making brawler bouncy balls so much. by the time i wittle them down to one that guy is usually nearly dead anyway because of all the aoe.

i wish we still had cannonball though. that move was so broke and useful.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Goddamn, the fucking messed-the-fuck-up fucking key with a squiggly fucking line on it fucking targeting thing is a fucking huge pain in the fucksack in fuckpit lairs, fuckinggoddamit. I was trying desperately to get Heller to do the hammer fist drop to the group of juggernauts and brawlers in some not really a lair, but still pretty much a lair in Blacknet, and he kept doing it to random zombies on the other side of the not lair. Man, that is aggravating.

It isn't really a problem if you are fighting a few large enemies, but two juggernauts and two brawlers were a real handful when I couldn't target them for some reason.

The blacknet mission where Heller steals a helicopter and "rescues" scientists was hilarious. And the little prompt was amazing.
    something along the lines of
    hold O to jump out of the helicopter and fuck over the scientists!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    hammerfist dive does the same damage regardless of height so you can do a very small jump instead of jumping to the other side of the room. try holding sprint, press a direction and tap jump two or three times instead of holding it down. that should shoot you off sideways away from them and get you enough height without losing them.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    thanks for the tip

• Options
    I just beat this game. It was a fun ride.

And then I immediately started a new game +

I haven't had this much fun with a game for a while.

• Options
    I think I need to buy that DLC just for Infected Heller. The grumbles, growls and hisses are amazing in the gameplay I have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1l70jrjtJw

• Options
    I am going with a four-in-a-row-talking-to-myself thing here

Now that I have beaten the game, and played the shit out of it, and thought about it and bought the DLC for the Infected Heller skin/sounds, I have some things I want to see in the next installment.

I want mass to be a bigger deal. The character should physically grow in size as the mass bar fills up. I don't know how large the character should be able to grow, but definitely to the size of a brawler at least. It would be awesome to eat enough to grow to the size of a juggernaut, but I don't know how that would work without expanding the size of the city and giving you something to fight like a Blackwatch mecha or something.

I think it would be neat to have more control over your character's base appearance. The character is a shape-changer, so it makes sense that you could at least grow its hair or shorten it or whatever, or change the color of its "clothes."

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    mass was kind of boring imo, especially since im a guy who is like 'nah im not going to use that i might need it later'

but man this game was amazing, i had the best time getting the 100% achievements
    and yes, the cut to credits was AMAZINGLY awkward

i literally just said 'wait wat.'

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    The Betman wrote: »
    mass was kind of boring imo, especially since im a guy who is like 'nah im not going to use that i might need it later'

but man this game was amazing, i had the best time getting the 100% achievements
    and yes, the cut to credits was AMAZINGLY awkward

i literally just said 'wait wat.'
    It was like they ran out of film at that moment.

Not even a pithy one-liner curse from Heller.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Hulk used to actually grow in size when he reached critical mass.

Mercer also did a bit more damage when in critical mass.

I use devastators a lot less now than I used to. I used to just use them whenever I had them because you might as well. Plus the aerial tendril devastator had infinite range if you kept a target locked on so I abused the shit out of that on strike teams.

They're so strong and the enemy packs you fight in freeroam are so small it kind of feels like using them means you use up all your fun.

I use the pack a lot tho.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I wish there were more powerful enemies to fight at a time. A few of the lairs have a good amount, like the one with two juggernauts and several brawlers, but that sort of thing diidn't happen with enough frequency.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I've completed the game 100% on hard difficulty already. I consider doing new game + on insanity, though only if I get the Radnet DLC. Is it worth it for 10 bucks? All I'm interested in is stuff that alters the gameplay, like new mutations, weapons, skins. The challenges not so much.

Edit: Looking at the reviews...how the fuck did this game get worse reviews than the Original? It improves on pretty much everything! Sure, it streamlines, but in a good way.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Hey I wanted to say a belated thanks to this thread, I kept an eye on it and your other thread while we were in production, @Morninglord

Here are some pre-beta images that I can probably release now as a present and a thank you!

ca045d4d.png

45f0f0f5.png

9d205235.png

Kochikens on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    well, they're broken anyway

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    oh right

:9

one moment

• Options
    Thanks for sharing those, kochi. I had a lot of fun with this game and it is neat you were a part of it.