As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's a school thread)

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Philosophy is broad and varied

I don't think it's possible to make a generalized statement about the field as a whole, seeing how it encompasses an enormous array of differing opinions, viewpoints, and methods.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Watch me

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    What do you mean, you have it all figured out?

I mean that I'm pretty set in my own way of thinking. I realize that's my flaw.

But now that I think about it, my main problem with philosophy is that it seems to train people to miss the forest for the trees.

Could you elaborate?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    What do you mean, you have it all figured out?

I mean that I'm pretty set in my own way of thinking. I realize that's my flaw.

But now that I think about it, my main problem with philosophy is that it seems to train people to miss the forest for the trees.

Could you elaborate?

Sure. I should say that my view of philosophy is restricted mostly to your more mainstream political philosophers. Classical Greeks, Rawls, Hayek *shudder*, etc.

Anyways, the philosophers I've encountered tend to create a world that closely resembles our own, but it is necessarily abstracted or idealized in some fashion. Then they run various thought experiments inside the assumptions of that world, and come to conclusions about what should be done based on their principles. Pushing a fat man onto the tracks and all that shit.

That's fine. It's not something I love to do, but whatever. The problem comes when people uncritically and universally apply these lessons to their world. In Rawls' world of well-meaning persuadable governors the difference principle always makes sense. In the real world it is complicated by the politics of envy. Philosophy tends to lend itself to a mechanical, rather than a holistic, view of the world, focused on relatively minor ethical dilemmas instead of the entire picture.

That said, there are a couple of political philosophers I like (Niebuhr and Machiavelli), so in retrospect my statement was rather silly. I guess I just have a problem with how philosophy sometimes is applied in the political realm.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I can understand such a disdain for a more absolutist-like approach that philosophy brings to a subject. The field is, at large, highly systematic & analytical in form.

I'd love to see what you think of Kant.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I can understand such a disdain for a more absolutist-like approach that philosophy brings to a subject. The field is, at large, highly systematic & analytical in form.

I'd love to see what you think of Kant.

almost as dumb as Descartes

• Options
    Kant was the subject of the worst paper I've ever written, so I don't really feel qualified to comment on him.

I more or less agree with him on world peace, though.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    your avatar looks a bit like pete campbell, that's all i can focus on. wanna punch that avatar

plus you're talking about philosophy

that's so many noogies you got comin'

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i like American philosophy but more specifically the founding fathers and even more specifically the stuff that relates to law in some way

also Rawls is alright

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2012
    My avatar is Pete Campbell.
    tumblr_m21qs8OtK11qbj1azo1_400.gif

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i thought so but he has a weird expression that threw me off a little

noogies are being prepped

• Options
    Also my username is this guy:
    tumblr_lqf4ih3doJ1qmtltc.jpg

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Kant is best philosopher of all time.

For real.

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Course list for fall goes up on Friday, I get to register next Thursday.

Goals for this shit are a good 200 level French timeslot, another 300-level Sociology course, Drawing or a Design course, and something frivolous.

This term is pretty 'meh' because I keep slacking on my work, then wind up having no free time because I'm catching up on readings or projects.

• Options
    In other news my school's Student Government is currently having a Constitutional Crisis.

Pretty exciting.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    In other news my school's Student Government is currently having a Constitutional Crisis.

Pretty exciting.

community_crisisalert_hub.jpg

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Finals are done! Forever!

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Pretty exciting.

hee hee
    its cute. They think they matter.

8-)

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Is it over wether or not they can have a boom box in the lunch room?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular

Pretty exciting.

good post.

Fuck student government politicking, holy hell.
    My response to "HEY WOULD YOU LIKE TO SIGN THIS PETITION FOR [x]?" has become less cordial. If I see them coming toward me I change my posture and facial expression to try and give off an air of "I will stab you." It works pretty well!

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    I used to think I disliked any and all forms of philosophy until I took a course on medical ethics and realized that I only dislike philosophy when it's unmoored from anything remotely practical, like the "what is the nature of reality" shit that I'm sure is fascinating to more enlightened and mature people than I, or perhaps just to dudes who smoke hella weed, man.

In other school news, horrible Spanish presentation done, now on to writing a 15-page research paper about paramilitaries in Weimar Germany by next Monday.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    I used to think I disliked any and all forms of philosophy until I took a course on medical ethics and realized that I only dislike philosophy when it's unmoored from anything remotely practical, like the "what is the nature of reality" shit that I'm sure is fascinating to more enlightened and mature people than I, or perhaps just to dudes who smoke hella weed, man.

In other school news, horrible Spanish presentation done, now on to writing a 15-page research paper about paramilitaries in Weimar Germany by next Monday.

dogg

metaphysics is bitchin'

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

dogg

metaphysics is bitchin'

Smoke more weed.

Seriously.

Smoke more weed.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    this goes for everyone

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    let me tell you about branes and m-theory

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

dogg

metaphysics is bitchin'

Smoke more weed.

Seriously.

Smoke more weed.

Don't even need to.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Kant is best philosopher of all time.

For real.

i see your Kant and raise you one Wittgenstein

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    guys help i'm developing an uncontrollable Wittgenstein boner

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    I have never done weed but philosohpy is incredibly awesome metaphysics included

• Options
    philosophy, and really all of the humanities, are very very prone to the Dunning–Kruger effect

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    what if i think i'm bad at philosophy and that the people in my class who seem "good at philosophy" are idiots

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I find it really hard to make philosophical points without acting like your thoughts are the best. Before and after you make the point you can go back to being your open minded self, but during the discussion you gotta be a righteous silly-goose

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I took a philosophy class in logic. it was actually really hard to learn all the logical fallacies because it turns out there are a lot of them.

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    We had to figure out as many fallacies as we could so we could sort out the idiots faster

• Options
    logic and critical thinking is one of my favorite classes ever

we only did the first half of the textbook but I finished it over Christmas break because I am a GIANT NERD

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    my favorite logical fallacy is "there are two options, therefore it's a 50:50 chance that option A is better than option B"

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Pretty exciting.

good post.

Fuck student government politicking, holy hell.
    My response to "HEY WOULD YOU LIKE TO SIGN THIS PETITION FOR [x]?" has become less cordial. If I see them coming toward me I change my posture and facial expression to try and give off an air of "I will stab you." It works pretty well!

I do this with the Mormon missionaries on campus, but it doesn't seem to work

so instead I ask them questions that make them uncomfortable

Shorty on
  • Options
    Skull Man wrote: »
    philosophy, and really all of the humanities, are very very prone to the Dunning–Kruger effect

there is this terrible terrible woman in my sociology class who is the poster child for the Dunning Kruger effect. The best part is that she just keeps talking even after her ideas are shut down by the professor oh wait no that's the worst part and the professor never stops calling on her and I want to die every time she opens her mouth

• Options
    the golden mean fallacy is fun too

the idea that the moderate between two options is always the best

"I think we should kill a hundred babies!" "I don't think we should kill any!"

"Guys, guys, calm down. Let's take the middle road and just kill fifty"

• Options
    basically if you take logic and critical thinking and also take stat you realize OH MY GOD EVERYONE IS LYING ALWAYS

This discussion has been closed.