As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend: Everything for one purchase price, 6 maps, shielded assests, SHOCKLANCE!

• Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Pro infiltrator guide has me feeling ready for anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE9i7oRwDMw

you don't even need to watch the video, you can just look at the preview image

also, someone educate me about what role juggernauts are meant to play in CTF. It's probably my favorite class to play since I'm not really very good at running/chasing as a pathfinder, but on CTF I feel sort of lost. I can shell the stand and cock up the generator room, but aside from that, eh. It feels like doombringer would be more effective at pretty much everything, except that I haven't really leveled up my doombringer at all.

Well, for starters, shelling the flag stand and destroying assets is a great thing for a Jug to be doing. I know that it can feel pointless keeping the flag stand clear (or at least chaotic) if there aren't any cappers making use of your efforts. Jug is also useful for generator defense and keeping harassers away from your flag stand. It's also satisfying dropping shells on would be cappers.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    my main problem with being the hof as a juggernaut is that I can't really deny any decent pathfinder access. Even if I see them coming I have to time a mortar/grenade pretty perfectly to even hit them, and if I try to stand in the way I find I just get spinfused off as they're coming in. Doombringer can drop shields, beep incoming runners, and do a better job of shooting them as they run away if it comes to that.

I'm like the lord of the generator room, though. It's pretty tough for anything other than another jugg to dig me out of there on most maps.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Pro infiltrator guide has me feeling ready for anything.

So that was amusing, but BadgerTank's was actually useful. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLYx1InUwZ8

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    lemme go ahead and save you nine minutes

"whore the jackal from stealth"

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    I eat PTH's for breakfast.

Most of my games lately have been 75% PTH players. I'm stuffed to the brim with sweet, sweet tears.

*Pulls out XLMG*
    *Proceeds to collect 30k+ credits a round*

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Just got this downloaded. Played a couple of games and I really like it. I don't know that I have a class I enjoy most yet, but at least my aim is piss-poor. heh.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I eat PTH's for breakfast.

Most of my games lately have been 75% PTH players. I'm stuffed to the brim with sweet, sweet tears.

*Pulls out XLMG*
    *Proceeds to collect 30k+ credits a round*

Yeah I've really not found any way to effectively duel a good jug with the XLMG. They just mow you down, nothing you can do.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    beta_angel wrote: »
    Just got this downloaded. Played a couple of games and I really like it. I don't know that I have a class I enjoy most yet, but at least my aim is piss-poor. heh.

It will improve with time. My aiming was poor in the beginning too. Apparently in arena you can learn aiming very fast.

• Options
    johnwing wrote: »
    beta_angel wrote: »

It will improve with time. My aiming was poor in the beginning too. Apparently in arena you can learn aiming very fast.

Or if you're never very good with aiming (like myself) you just find yourself a role.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    What is the best role for those of us that can't aim?
    I've been mostly foddering it up in TDM, but in CTF I expect to play mid-field most of the time... try to get up in the enemy's face, distract them from doing actually important things by blocking their gunfire with my body.
    Y'know, the high-speed jetpack equivalent of "hey, over here! come get me!"

But is there also a place in base assault/defence for a mediocre player?

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    You might enjoy flag defense. You sit your Doombringer at the flag, poop some mines around it, then wreck incoming players' day with your heavy chaingun.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So I tried out Brute and he was pretty fun! Not sure if he brings much to the table that my Juggy doesn't I guess he's a bit better at close range. Now I'm hearing that the Machine gun for Juggy is good? If it is good I think I will pick it up as it would fill in the one gap im missing on him... shooting down runners...

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    You might enjoy flag defense. You sit your Doombringer at the flag, poop some mines around it, then wreck incoming players' day with your heavy chaingun.

For some reason I can't hit a damn thing with the autos... I've tried to train myself by playing a soldier with the AR, but... I SUCK. I'm lucky if I land a single bullet on someone in an entire duel. (For clarity, I'm aware that I need to lead my targets, but with no reticule for it and at the speeds this game exhibits... it's a lost cause. I'm just putting bullets into air.)
    I'm comparitively better with spinfusors and splash damage, assuming I'm aiming for folks as they land. No blue-plates/midairs for the likes of me, unless they're 100% bullshit luck.

I was thinking maybe base def with a technician, to place turrets and upgrade stuff... the sort of thing where shooting things my own self would be a tertiary concern.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    At the moment the JUG seems like the best heavy class if you sink money into it. You can have your mortar/MIRV for speed traps, LMG for enemies above you, and spinfusor disc for enemies on ground. Other classes can't really cover all those bases

• Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular

For some reason I can't hit a damn thing with the autos... I've tried to train myself by playing a soldier with the AR, but... I SUCK. I'm lucky if I land a single bullet on someone in an entire duel. (For clarity, I'm aware that I need to lead my targets, but with no reticule for it and at the speeds this game exhibits... it's a lost cause. I'm just putting bullets into air.)
    I'm comparitively better with spinfusors and splash damage, assuming I'm aiming for folks as they land. No blue-plates/midairs for the likes of me, unless they're 100% bullshit luck.

I was thinking maybe base def with a technician, to place turrets and upgrade stuff... the sort of thing where shooting things my own self would be a tertiary concern.

Honestly, just keep playing. I usually have horrendous aim in fps games and after playing regularly for a few weeks now, I'm good for 1-2 blue plates a match. Even on cold streaks it's rare for me to go more than 3 matches without one. The nice thing about aiming with the autos is that even without much of a reticle, the stream of bullets serves as a tracer so you can make adjustments to your leading distance.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Maybe it's the mid-air thing... I'm not usually garbage at aiming in FPS games, but a flying target is much harder to judge in terms of distance and speed than something earthbound. I find it hard to tell the distance at which the tracers are relative to the target, so difficult to tell when they're crossing the path of the target (either ahead or behind), and hard to correct my aim because of that.
    I get the impression that I'll need to really nail the "feel" of the guns before I'm gonna get any good with them, which, as you say, is a likely a matter of practice... we'll see.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Man, I really want to try the MIRV but I'm afraid of spending that much and just not liking it... can you test weapons in training or something?

• Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I do alright, I suppose. I'm good for 4 or 5 kills a match, but I'm *just* starting out, so I expect it'll get better with time. Judging the landing spot of your disc or what have you while you're skiing 7 billion miles per hour and they're in mid-air about to land somewhere near you is the trick.

It's fun, though.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Man, I really want to try the MIRV but I'm afraid of spending that much and just not liking it... can you test weapons in training or something?

Yes you can test all the weapons in training.

• Options
    johnwing wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Yes you can test all the weapons in training.

omg I should just learn to click on things and test them out. This will be so helpful.

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Man, I have no idea what the fuck is going on with Tribes. I'll be playing, have to type something and hit enter to bring up the box, and it will minimize the game.

Hm, I need to check the menus, maybe change a class, and hitting escape to bring up that menu also minimizes the game.

Sometimes this results in a crash as well.

And most fun of all, the keys appear to get stuck in windows too. I'll click a link or something and the browser will try and download it or some weird bullshit. I've had 3 games in a row where the keys have become sticky and the game has crashed and I have gotten no XP for them and had to reboot to fucking fix it.

Man, what the flying fuck is going on. And I already swapped out the keyboard and played other games, its fucking Tribes.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    That's why you sit at the flag. People will be coming directly at you, all you do is account for height/distance.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Maybe it's the mid-air thing... I'm not usually garbage at aiming in FPS games, but a flying target is much harder to judge in terms of distance and speed than something earthbound. I find it hard to tell the distance at which the tracers are relative to the target, so difficult to tell when they're crossing the path of the target (either ahead or behind), and hard to correct my aim because of that.
    I get the impression that I'll need to really nail the "feel" of the guns before I'm gonna get any good with them, which, as you say, is a likely a matter of practice... we'll see.

Play a Thumpertech.

Your turrets are fairly handy, motion detectors are fun to mess with infiltrators, and the thumper is a glorious weapon. Not to mention the latest patch finally gives you medals for doing what techs should be doing anyway, upgrading base defenses.

The only thing you'll need to practice is judging where players will land, and then you'll kick ass.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I love sinking my credits into upgrading each turret, the radar, and the gen once and just watching the credits roll in. :D

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    The turret change alone makes me super happy. No longer do I have to glare, shake my fist, and mutter "KS!" at my upgraded turret when it blasts the guy I was just chasing around the base.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    This daily deal thing is evil genius. Perfect way to bump up the XP exchange rate to the 250XP/gold rate that feels 'right' for purchases.

And now FALCON PUUUUUUUNCH.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    What is the best role for those of us that can't aim?
    I've been mostly foddering it up in TDM, but in CTF I expect to play mid-field most of the time... try to get up in the enemy's face, distract them from doing actually important things by blocking their gunfire with my body.
    Y'know, the high-speed jetpack equivalent of "hey, over here! come get me!"

But is there also a place in base assault/defence for a mediocre player?

I am a very mediocre player and I do both assault and defense. As defense I run with the tech using a thumper (as already suggested), planting turrets and upgrading base defenses. Running assault I use either the infiltrator (the jackal and mastered survivalist and close combat are really important here) or brute (love the fractals and they will love you back). With the infiltrator, learn how long it takes you to charge your energy, and how long you can stay in stealth. You can sneak a straight line from your door to the enemy's with full energy if you carefully manage your stealth, getting you into the action quickly and making their day miserable.

With the Brute, learn the less traveled routes around a map and you can get into the enemy base without anyone seeing you (unless they actually have someone watching their own base which rarely happens in pubs). Then go in, break what you can. Mostly you want to act like you're there to take out the generator without concentrating on it too much. This is when enemies start pouring through the doors and you blow them up with your fractals and discs, giving an opening for the raiders and infiltrators to come in and really break shit. You are the big fat distraction.

And it is super satisfying.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    So I just learned/heard that HiRez is planning on adding in Hercs at some point. Should I be terrified? Because I kinda am.

Or is this no longer the in the plans and I'm hearing old info?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Hercs?

• Options
    Hercs are the mechs of the starsiege universe. There are some sound files in the game that mention them. But they've been there for a long time now. I haven't heard anything new about them.

• Options

thumpers are a pretty good compromise between the autos and spinfusors, it seems like

the projectile is fast enough that it's fairly easy to direct fire at dudes, and you can still do the splash damage thing

alternatively just save up for a plasma gun

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hercs are the mechs of the starsiege universe. There are some sound files in the game that mention them. But they've been there for a long time now. I haven't heard anything new about them.

Would make sense to add them as a vehicle just like Beowulfs.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I think at this point the only weapon I'd actually spend real money on is if they put the ELF back in.

Chasing with an ELF, or even just dueling with one, was so god damn much fun. You could feel the rage.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Am I crazy or is the music on Tartarus, or at least part of it, a remix of Lush from Tribes 2?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I think at this point the only weapon I'd actually spend real money on is if they put the ELF back in.

Chasing with an ELF, or even just dueling with one, was so god damn much fun. You could feel the rage.

I never got the hang of the ELF in old tribes. And boy, did it kill you quick if you didn't escape in the first half a second!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    My initial foray into CTF has been reasonably successful. The Doombringer's chaingun is hella fun - I can just hold down the fire key and rake my shots across an enemy's path 'till I find the sweet spot. I like it! Still butts at range, but anyone coming near the flag is taking some flak... unless they orbital strike my arse first, or they're a filthy infiltrator. (Filthy!)

The technician was pretty decent too, if less engaging... I spent a lot of time not really sure what the hell to be doing with myself (set up the turret... and now?). Trying to take down heavies with that SMG is no mean feat, but it's pretty satisfying to see kills roll in when you're not even near the enemy, as your turret takes 'em out. I seemed to get killed by fractal grenades, though, more often than not.

Anyway, tons o' fun. Not sure I'll go back to TDM any time soon - CTF seems to have these niches where even players like me can do fairly well.

Also, these daily deals are awesome. Unlocked the soldier's pistol for 96 gold. That with the boost to the amount of GP in the packs will take care of any reservations I've had with the pricing model.

Edit: Oh god, I used the wrong "they're". Damn it's late.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I never got the hang of the ELF in old tribes. And boy, did it kill you quick if you didn't escape in the first half a second!

Well the ELF didn't really kill you

But it made it so you had no energy which pretty much meant you were just walking on the ground

So yeah you died very quickly in short order :P

• Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The daily deal is awesome, I was saving up for the Pathfinder's assault rifle and Soldier's utility pack and was able to buy them both for around 75% off.

Also, if anyone wants to try out some more organized games, I've played some pick up games with the TribesPUG guys. They seem to be active most evenings and they have both NA East and NA West servers. I think they just opened an EU one last night as well. Games are usually 7v7 up to 11v11. Info in the spoiler:
    -Download Mumble: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

-Connect to tribespug.mumble.com, port 9705, ideally with your in-game name as your username.

-Make a comment listing the roles you like to play.
    -LO = Light Offense. Usually Pathfinder, Infiltrator, Soldier, or Raider. Your job is to crash into the enemy flag stand and clear it moments before your flag capper arrives.
    -HO = Heavy Offense. Juggernaut. Your job is to shell the enemy flag stand with mortars and clear it for your flag capper.
    -LD = Light Defense. Usually a Soldier. You kill anyone who's harassing your HoF.
    -Chase = Pathfinder. You chase down anyone who grabs your flag.
    -Scope = Sentinel. You snipe people, mainly the enemy flag capper.
    -HoF = Heavy on Flag. Doombringer. Be fat and let people splat themselves into you.
    -Cap = Capper. Pathfinder. You probably want to be able to do at least 1 good route per map before signing up for this.

-Hop into one of the team selection channels and join the room for one of the roles you like.

-When a new game is being set up, two people will be captains and pick their teams.

-When you're picked, move into your team room and join the server (Custom Servers, search for PUG, ask in mumble for the password).

-Have fun!

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    The way I play tech in CTF: I run the SMG, the improved repair tool, motion sensors, bounty hunter and mechanic. I try to spend as little time inside of my base as possible. I feel that my job is keeping my base at full operation so that the other defensive elements on my team (the HoF, the light D, the snipers, etc) can operate unomelested. Consequently I spend most of my time outdoors as the tech, and the SMG smokes the thumper when it comes to fighting out doors, especially when it comes to dealing with heavies shelling the stand. Bounty hunter helps gets me more cash quick, and I try to make it a point to upgrade each turret once, the radar once, and the generator once as soon as possible. This will help you generate credits faster and the faster you get credits the faster you can get your base to level 4. Level 4 base turrets are great. Some people think they are bad because they don't snipe flag runners out of the air. That's not what they are there for. They are there to mess up enemy raiders and the like that are attempting to live inside of your base. A good unmolested HoF, Sniper and light D will stop flag runner after flag runner all game long. A HoF that is getting bombarded by raider grenades on the other hand is borderline useless. I usually set up my turrets outside in the areas where attackers like to hide from the base turrets to try to regen, or places where they like to attack the stand from. They help make the base more inhospitable to the enemy. I try to ignore my own gen room as much as possible, usually there are people on my team anyway faffing about in there. I pretty much only go down there if I need to repair it. I prefer to defend the outside of my base and kill enemies before they can even get into the gen room. While your base is up and running I perform two other roles: hunting down those shelling/spinfusoring our base or stand from far away with the SMG, once again to let our defense work in peace. Killing enemies directly attacking the stand, like raiders. And lastly, by SMGing flag runners on their way in and out. If you line yourself up with an incoming flag runner you can chew through their health, if a good doombringer is doing the same a lot of flag runners are going to die before they even get near your flag.

In summary, I play the tech to let the rest of the defense on my team focus on defending.

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Rage is pretty awesome on my Damon Killian (dedicated chaser) build. It let's me sit on the flag and as soon as someone grabs it, instantly get up to speed while still have enough energy available to use my rockets to maneuver.

Also, is anyone here interested in forming a competitive team?