Options

Buying retro console hardware/software

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Getting the rights owners to agree and whether they can charge enough to be worth the effort are probably larger factors.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Like Jazz said, a probably bigger obstacle is making the deals to put the games up for sale, which means you have to deal with game companies.

It's a minor miracle they got Square to let them make FFXIII backwards compatible, they must not have hope of doing a serious rerelase of it.

Then you have stuff where the cost of paying lawyers to figure out who owns what parts of some obscure 0XBox game is double how much they would make selling it.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    wunderbar wrote: »
    It's actually kind of interesting. You'd assume that OG Xbox games would be easy to make work on the XB1 and XSX/S becuase the OG Xbox was also an x86 architecture where the 360 was the oddball running PowerPC.

I'm betting they just aren't putting too many resources into testing the games.

Testing could be, but they all apparently need putting sale on the store too because the X1 downloads a compatible version every time. So licensing is probably the biggest problem. The 360 just emulates them on-board using the existing disc, the X1 doesn't.

Yeah, with x86 architecture you'd think it'd be easier... but then OG Xbox was coded very close to the metal IIRC, so it may be harder to emulate than we're giving it credit for.

Edit: missed new page. d'oh!

Jazz on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Ordered an Analogue Super Nt yesterday. I don't really need it (I have 2 SNESes and a Super Famicom) but getting it set up is a lot more portable than bringing my Framemeister along somewhere. The shipping seemed incredibly high, $21 US. Maybe shipping is actually this expensive and it's just been hidden by a bunch of companies under free shipping, I don't know. Looking forward to giving it a go though, nice companion to my Mega Sg.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    What do folks think a fair Dreamcast price would be? Anybody bought one recently?

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I'm a little late, but here's what you do if you want to buy a Sega Saturn (if you're in North America, I mean. You Europeans with your PALs and your SCARTs or whatever are on your own):

Buy a Japanese system off of Ebay (or your online merchant of choice who ships from Japan). The Black US Saturns are lovely and svelte (they were colored black to fit in better with 1990s home stereo equipment), but the Japanese Model 1 in it's gorgeous gray and blue, or the Japanese Model 2 in it's lovely pure white are both great looking consoles. Look closely to make sure the system you're buying isn't yellowing, though. It can be fixed, it's just a pain in the ass. Outside of aesthetics, there is practically zero difference between the Model 1 and Model 2 consoles. American Saturns tend to be much more expensive compared to Japanese ones. As an example I picked up the following from Ebay last year for $99 shipped (note the "tan line" on the memory cart):
    yh7eyrq3tom7.jpg

Japanese systems run at 110v (what you get from a Japanese power outlet), but the Power Supply is capable of running at 120v (what you get in a North American outlet), so you don't need any power converters. Japan also used NTSC instead of PAL as its core video standard, so you don't need any special video adaptors either.

Sega Saturn games are ridiculously expensive. Even the multiplats are ridiculously expensive (they can easily hit five times or more the cost of the PS1 version). A lot of people have taken to buying the Japanese versions of certain Saturn games (especially arcade style games) instead of the English ones, because they are cheaper. That's a good way to save money on buying Saturn games, but an even better way is to not buy them at all. If you purchase an Action Replay cartridge that has been flashed with the PseudoSaturn Kai firmware and throw it in the Saturn's cartridge slot than the console will boot to a menu that will allow you to launch games without doing a security check. This means that your Saturn no longer has to worry about region checks, so you can play games from any region. It also means that your Saturn doesn't have to worry about authenticity checks, so you can boot burned games. If you get a 4-in-1 cartridge (a single cart that functions as a memory cart for storing game saves, an action replay - which in this case has been over-written with the PseudoSaturn firmware, a 1MB RAM expansion, and a 4MB RAM expansion) than you can just leave that cartridge in your Saturn essentially forever.

Another option is to buy an ODE (Optical Drive Emulator), this is a device that replaces the CD-ROM drive on your Saturn with a piece of hardware that allows you to run games off of an SD Card, USB stick, or SATA hard drive (depending on which model you get). Right now there are three main ODES:
    The Fenrir - The cheapest (only around $140), replaces the Saturn's CD-ROM drive entirely, but has some compatibility issues with certain games (as of right now it also does not support switching discs in-game, so any multi-disc games that require you to switch discs are not completable) and only supports MicroSD cards. It comes in two versions (a 20 pin and a 21 pin version, one for each model Saturn), so you have to know which version you need for your console or it will not work.

M.O.D.E. - More expensive (around $230, including international shipping from Andorra), but it has full compatibility with the Saturn library (including the ability to switch discs in-game) as well as more options for storage (MicroSD, USB, and SATA). It's also compatible with the Dreamcast and, with an additional bit of hardware, the Playstation (MODE stands for Multi Optical Disc Emulator).

The Satiator - The most expensive of them all (around $275 with shipping). The Satiator's schtick is that it's an ODE that doesn't actually require you to remove your Saturn's CD-ROM drive - instead it is inserted in the expansion slot at the back of the console in just a few seconds, making it completely plug and play. This technically means it's not compatible with any games that require the VCD card add-on, but that's really just a technicality since there were so few released. It only supports MicroSD cards, and also has compatibility issues with games (including the same issues with multidisc games that the Fenrir has, although this is currently "being worked on").

My breakdown is thus: If you're ok with spending the money, get a MODE. If you're a baller on a budget, get a Fenrir. If you just want to get your feet wet, spend $40 on a PSK cart on Ebay and another $10 on a stack of CDRs. The Satiator is kind of a meme, it's whole thing is that you don't need to remove your optical drive to use it, but if you have an ODE, than you no longer have any use for an optical drive, so it sorta defeats its own purpose (and is way more expensive as a result). I also think that if you're spending that sort of money on an ODE, it should work with every game.

Installing an ODE is easy, all you need is a screwdriver. I've seen it written that "If you can build a Lego set, you can install an ODE", and I think that's about right. If you do get one, considering the cost of used Saturn games right now, whichever one you choose will pay for itself in no time easily.

If you do get an American system, make sure it comes with a Model 2 style controller instead of a Model 1 style controller. The Model 2 style is the one most people associate with the Saturn, whereas the Model 1 style is boxy and much less comfortable. The Model 1 style controller was never released in Japan, so Japanese systems should only come with Model 2s.

The Saturn has 32k of storage space built into the console for game saves, which is pretty rad. It's on volatile memory, however, backed up by a single CR-2032 battery (the common "watch battery" that Sega also used for VMUs on the Dreamcast). This means that if your battery dies, your saves are gone. If you're confident in your soldering skills, you can do what's called an FRAM mod and replace the chip used for game storage for one that is non-volatile, but you'll still need a CR-2032 battery if you want to keep your console settings and system clock up to date.

A Saturn Memory Cartridge has 512k of storage, and is a must have as a result. The Saturn's cartridge slot is also used for RAM expansion, both a 1MB and a 4MB RAM cartridge were available (in Japan, but accessories are all region-free). Some games have the option to use a RAM expansion cart for extra features (usually for more animations), but some games require one (mostly Capcom's 2D fighters, but also at least one KoF game, and a few sidescrollers like Metal Slug). Having a 4MB RAM expansion for the Saturn is pretty nuts, considering the console only had 2MB of RAM itself. It would be like the PS5 and Xbox X-Treem! (or whatever they're calling the new one) having a 32GB drop in RAM expansion. Some 1MB games have minor issues when used with a 4MB cartridge, but if you want to play games that require the expansion you can get away with just getting a 4MB cart (or a 4-in-1 cart).

Speaking of cartridges, the Saturn's cartridge slot can be kind of finicky. You may have to find the sweet spot when you insert cartridges. This is because the pin density on the cartridge slot is much higher than on the game cartridge slots on other consoles. This makes the entire thing more fragile, but it also makes it much faster, which is why it's fast enough to be used for system RAM. Some third party cartridges either had PCBs that were slightly thicker than official Saturn carts, or weren't beveled the way official Saturn carts are, so they can be a bit rougher on the cart slot.

The Saturn Library leans heavy into arcade games, 2D fighters, and 2D shooters (including many definitive editions), but there are solid games for pretty much every genre that existed in the 90s, in 2D and in 3D, as well as games that you cannot get anywhere else. It's a great console, and I definitely recommend giving it a look.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Thanks for an awesome write up that cements the fact I'm not ready to make the Saturn commitment at this time!

• Options
    Thanks for an awesome write up that cements the fact I'm not ready to make the Saturn commitment at this time!

It's possible to get pretty nuts, but honestly, If you can find a lot similar to what I got with a console, controller, and memory cart for $100 or less, plus spent around $40 on a PSK cart and another $10 for a stack of CDRs you'd be roughly $150 in and you'd still have access to more games than you'd ever have time to play.

On a related note, the first Saturn I ever owned years ago was a Model 1 that I bought used that had at some point in its life been a Blockbuster Video rental console. It had the name and store number etched into the bottom of the system. I wish I still had it, it was like a piece of history.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Ordered an Analogue Super Nt yesterday. I don't really need it (I have 2 SNESes and a Super Famicom) but getting it set up is a lot more portable than bringing my Framemeister along somewhere. The shipping seemed incredibly high, $21 US. Maybe shipping is actually this expensive and it's just been hidden by a bunch of companies under free shipping, I don't know. Looking forward to giving it a go though, nice companion to my Mega Sg.

Shipping from HK is involved.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Question: While I know it's possible to change the battery in old game cartridges, is it possible to preserve the data stored there while doing so? I've got an old one I'm a bit worried about...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Superb write-up, @SmokeStacks - I'd forgotten a lot of that and there was also much I never knew (like the ODE variants).

I do agree though that the Saturn is a terrific and hugely underrated machine that really is a ton of fun.

• Options
    Does $170 shipped feel ok or too high for a Dreamcast, two 1st party controllers, 2 VMUs, Sonic, Crazy Taxi, and THPS2 with boxes and House of the Dead 2 and Vigilante 8 missing boxes?

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    They should give you a discount to compensate you for taking Sonic off their hands.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Thanks @SmokeStacks for doing the write up I was too lazy to do. Some more specific notes:
    • You ain't kidding about third party cartridges. My first US Saturn's cartridge slot is essentially useless thanks to removing and inserting a PSK cart. If you put a third party cart in your Saturn, you'd better intend to keep it there. Unfortunately Pseudo Saturn carts give up their ability to store saves which is why I had to swap carts often, killing the slot
    • If your Saturn ever loses power from the outlet for any length of time, kiss your internal saves goodbye. The CR2032 batteries burn out fast if the unit is unplugged for any length of time. Keep a stockpile of batteries on hand if your home has a lot of power outages
    • For CDRs you need to make sure you get high quality ones (search for Taiyo Yuden) or the discs won't read or worse - the added strain on the drive will wear out the laser. You can get replacement lasers pretty easily but best to avoid that problem. My advice would be just get an ODE in the first place. (I'm a fan of the MODE)
    • If buying real discs be sure you are able to inspect them before purchasing and if eBaying, make sure the seller allows free returns. Saturn discs are old and often not well-kept. Hold the disc up to the light with the reflective side facing you and search for tiny pinholes in the foil layer. If you see any put it back/return it. This goes for any optical media, really. The most heartbreaking thing is getting a good deal on a beautiful CIB copy of Dragonforce only to hold the disc up to the light and it looks like Swiss cheese. The game may still play in this condition but you're running on borrowed time

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Question: While I know it's possible to change the battery in old game cartridges, is it possible to preserve the data stored there while doing so? I've got an old one I'm a bit worried about...

Safest way is to copy the save data before changing. Which you would need a specific device for, usually one that can rip carts along with their save data.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Thanks @SmokeStacks for doing the write up I was too lazy to do. Some more specific notes:
    • You ain't kidding about third party cartridges. My first US Saturn's cartridge slot is essentially useless thanks to removing and inserting a PSK cart. If you put a third party cart in your Saturn, you'd better intend to keep it there. Unfortunately Pseudo Saturn carts give up their ability to store saves which is why I had to swap carts often, killing the slot
    • If your Saturn ever loses power from the outlet for any length of time, kiss your internal saves goodbye. The CR2032 batteries burn out fast if the unit is unplugged for any length of time. Keep a stockpile of batteries on hand if your home has a lot of power outages
    • For CDRs you need to make sure you get high quality ones (search for Taiyo Yuden) or the discs won't read or worse - the added strain on the drive will wear out the laser. You can get replacement lasers pretty easily but best to avoid that problem. My advice would be just get an ODE in the first place. (I'm a fan of the MODE)
    • If buying real discs be sure you are able to inspect them before purchasing and if eBaying, make sure the seller allows free returns. Saturn discs are old and often not well-kept. Hold the disc up to the light with the reflective side facing you and search for tiny pinholes in the foil layer. If you see any put it back/return it. This goes for any optical media, really. The most heartbreaking thing is getting a good deal on a beautiful CIB copy of Dragonforce only to hold the disc up to the light and it looks like Swiss cheese. The game may still play in this condition but you're running on borrowed time

Are there any solutions to dealing with the dead batteries? Do the ODE devices mitigate any of that?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Are there any solutions to dealing with the dead batteries? Do the ODE devices mitigate any of that?

It's super easy to replace the battery in a Saturn - just pop off the expansion port cover and there it is. They aren't soldered on like some other systems. It's just any saves on the internal RAM are lost in the process though they were lost anyway when the battery lost power.

I always make sure to copy my saves over to the backup cart before powering the system down after a session. This is overkill. Just being turned off doesn't drain the battery. It only drains when the systems is not plugged in (or the power is out).

The MODE was updated a little while back to add the ability to copy your saves to its own storage, which is amazing for backup purposes.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    They should give you a discount to compensate you for taking Sonic off their hands.

Sonic Adventure never clicked for me, but I'd still say it's a library essential for the system. I went ahead and took the plunge. I priced stuff out individually and it looked like a good deal. I had no idea VMUs are $25 each at this point.

Just buying the console, VMUs and extra controller would be about $220 so the games are basically a bonus.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Hyperion wrote: »
    Here's a fun question. My son's birthday is coming up and I'm thinking about getting a console for it. I'm currently stuck between Cube, Game Gear, Master System, Saturn or Dreamcast. What are folks thoughts? I know he'd like a Cube but we have a Wii that can technically run those games so it doesn't really open up a new library to him (plus the games are pricey right now) so I'm sort of leaning away from that one.

I would vote DC by a mile. Game Gear and Master System are fairly dated (and not always in a charming way), the Saturn has, what, Panzer Dragoon? And some other good stuff (my 2nd choice), but DC has like 5-10 stone cold classics I can think of off the top of my head, and probably more if I sat down and put my mind to it.

Dreamcast. Dreamcast Dreamcast Dreamcast.

Also any of the good Saturn games are rare and outrageously expensive especially if you're going for the US versions.

I've got a copy of Dragon Force complete in box, in near pristine condition, couple of minor scratches on the back panel of the case.

I consider it a retirement investment.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Awesome write up @SmokeStacks. You sound like the go to on Saturn stuff. I know basically nothing about this system, but thinking now about picking up one of the Japanese units.

Any recommendations for non fighting games on the Saturn? I'd probably go the Japanese route for these too, so that might mean rpgs are out unless there is a good way to translate them?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »

Sonic Adventure never clicked for me, but I'd still say it's a library essential for the system. I went ahead and took the plunge. I priced stuff out individually and it looked like a good deal. I had no idea VMUs are $25 each at this point.

Just buying the console, VMUs and extra controller would be about $220 so the games are basically a bonus.

Oh for sure, if you're buying it for collecting purposes, that's fine. But nobody should actually play it. It's Sonic '06 levels of terrible.

• Options
    I didn't think it was Sonic 06 bad, I still played through a lot of it. But then again, I have a lot of patience for the Sonic games, I loved both Heroes and Lost Worlds which I know aren't overly loved.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

I don't think so. This is why I was looking to get a Retrode 2 to dump saves, but it's been out of production for some years. I'm big on preserving stuff, so being able to keep all the saves off my cartridges while they are still there would be awesome.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    We were talking about the NeoGeo Pocket Color on the other page. One of the links that came up while I was searching for the system was a Limited Run Game version of the Switch release.
    https://limitedrungames.com/products/neogeo-pocket-color-selection-vol-1-switch

I was sad that I didn't order one but figured I can pick up the digital version at least. Went to look at what games I have ordered there and noticed I bought 2 by accident (ordered a duplicate because I forget things). So now I guess I'll have two coming.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    We were talking about the NeoGeo Pocket Color on the other page. One of the links that came up while I was searching for the system was a Limited Run Game version of the Switch release.

I was sad that I didn't order one but figured I can pick up the digital version at least. Went to look at what games I have ordered there and noticed I bought 2 by accident (ordered a duplicate because I forget things). So now I guess I'll have two coming.

Wow, I didn't even know they'd done a compilation of them. Definitely cheaper to do that if you want more than a couple of the games.

It's rather hilarious, and telling of the NGPC's library, that six of the ten games are fighting games! :lol:

I really hope they bring more games over. Faselei!, SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters Clash, and Biomotor Unitron, please.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

I don't think so. This is why I was looking to get a Retrode 2 to dump saves, but it's been out of production for some years. I'm big on preserving stuff, so being able to keep all the saves off my cartridges while they are still there would be awesome.

I'm getting big into this too. I'm the nerd who buys up demo discs to preserve demos and sometimes old discs that contain dlc that is no longer available on any service. We lost a lot of stuff like this from the OG Xbox.

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »

I'm getting big into this too. I'm the nerd who buys up demo discs to preserve demos and sometimes old discs that contain dlc that is no longer available on any service. We lost a lot of stuff like this from the OG Xbox.

It'd be nice to play through the OG Splinter Cell DLC again.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Wow, I didn't even know they'd done a compilation of them. Definitely cheaper to do that if you want more than a couple of the games.

It's rather hilarious, and telling of the NGPC's library, that six of the ten games are fighting games! :lol:

I really hope they bring more games over. Faselei!, SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters Clash, and Biomotor Unitron, please.

Yeah, I miss the SNK golden ages and try to snag the games I missed out on here and there. The only thing that irks me is the money side of the company these days.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options

Yeah, I miss the SNK golden ages and try to snag the games I missed out on here and there. The only thing that irks me is the money side of the company these days.

And its present ownership.

• Options
    edited August 2021

I want to say that was included on either certain copies of rainbox six or maybe the Xbox demo disc back in the day. I remember recently buying one of these because of that.

edit: found it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-Original-Tom-Clancys-Rainbow-Six-3-Companion-Demo-Disc-/284136731368

anoffday on
  • Options
    I didn't think it was Sonic 06 bad, I still played through a lot of it. But then again, I have a lot of patience for the Sonic games, I loved both Heroes and Lost Worlds which I know aren't overly loved.

"No one should play it" is just a hilariously bad take. The Sonic levels are at least fine, and way less buggy than '06. Hard to recommend paying a lot for it but I wouldn't tell people to not even boot it up if they had it.

• Options
    I recently played a little bit of Sonic Adventure 2, the superior sequel, and even that was a janky little dumpster fire. I can only imagine how poorly the non-Sonic/Shadow levels aged. SA1 is interesting as a novelty, a glimpse at a formerly good franchise beginning a downward spiral into mediocrity that it never fully recovered from.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Safest way is to copy the save data before changing. Which you would need a specific device for, usually one that can rip carts along with their save data.

Ouch. Well, at least now I know what I'm dealing with. Thanks!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

I want to say that was included on either certain copies of rainbox six or maybe the Xbox demo disc back in the day. I remember recently buying one of these because of that.

edit: found it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-Original-Tom-Clancys-Rainbow-Six-3-Companion-Demo-Disc-/284136731368

Too much to ask that that's backwards compatible, right? A lot of bonus discs & demos disc etc aren't.

• Options
    Oh yeah, I doubt it. But for 6 bucks it's not a bad investment to get those levels if you eventually pick up an original Xbox.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    The Super Nt can be used to backup games and saves if you're talking about SNES.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Sonic Adventure is great, you guys are on drugs.

It's bright, colorful, and fast, which is all anyone ever asked for in a Sonic game. It did a good job of transitioning 2D Sonic level archetypes into 3D, plus it had a huge 3D overworld that you could explore to find secrets or unlock new levels. It also had a great Sega arcade buttrock soundtrack.

It certainly had its issues, mainly collision problems in some levels and a janky camera (this was moreso caused by the Dreamcast only having one analog stick, meaning you didn't have another one available for camera manipulation), and a lot of people didn't like the non-Sonic levels (even though I thought they were an interesting distraction to break up the game a bit), but its definitely worth playing to see Sonic's first (full) foray into 3D. If you don't like the playstyles of the other characters you can always just play the Sonic part and then consider the game done when you beat his levels.

Sonic Adventure 2 is the better game mechanically as well as graphically, but I was really sad that they ditched the Adventure Maps (the overworld areas that SA1 had). They were a lot of fun to explore, and some of them looked pretty nice. The Dreamcast versions of both games are super expensive because Covid has skyrocketed the price of retro games, but you can get the first game on Steam for like eight bucks (and the sequel for ten).

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Oh yeah, I doubt it. But for 6 bucks it's not a bad investment to get those levels if you eventually pick up an original Xbox.

Oh, I've still got one. :+1: Just not my original that had all that stuff installed on it, sadly.

It's just nice to be able to play this stuff on a machine with a native HDMI connection. One day I'll have to mod it into that Xbox.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Sonic Adventure is great, you guys are on drugs.

It's bright, colorful, and fast, which is all anyone ever asked for in a Sonic game. It did a good job of transitioning 2D Sonic level archetypes into 3D, plus it had a huge 3D overworld that you could explore to find secrets or unlock new levels. It also had a great Sega arcade buttrock soundtrack.

It certainly had its issues, mainly collision problems in some levels and a janky camera (this was moreso caused by the Dreamcast only having one analog stick, meaning you didn't have another one available for camera manipulation), and a lot of people didn't like the non-Sonic levels (even though I thought they were an interesting distraction to break up the game a bit), but its definitely worth playing to see Sonic's first (full) foray into 3D. If you don't like the playstyles of the other characters you can always just play the Sonic part and then consider the game done when you beat his levels.

Sonic Adventure 2 is the better game mechanically as well as graphically, but I was really sad that they ditched the Adventure Maps (the overworld areas that SA1 had). They were a lot of fun to explore, and some of them looked pretty nice. The Dreamcast versions of both games are super expensive because Covid has skyrocketed the price of retro games, but you can get the first game on Steam for like eight bucks (and the sequel for ten).

Is that the one with the level where Sonic is running down a dock while a killer whale smashes through it? I thought that was pretty awesome as a kid. Actually who am I kidding? I still think it's awesome.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Is that the one with the level where Sonic is running down a dock while a killer whale smashes through it? I thought that was pretty awesome as a kid. Actually who am I kidding? I still think it's awesome.

It is. It's a really amazing setpiece, but it's also one of the areas where it's really easy to fall through the level geometry because you still have control of Sonic through the entire section. I'm pretty sure later games in the franchise that use sections like that hide the fact that they take control away from the player for short periods of time so that that sort of thing doesn't happen.