Options

Buying retro console hardware/software

1939495969799»

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Is that the one with the level where Sonic is running down a dock while a killer whale smashes through it? I thought that was pretty awesome as a kid. Actually who am I kidding? I still think it's awesome.

It is. It's a really amazing setpiece, but it's also one of the areas where it's really easy to fall through the level geometry because you still have control of Sonic through the entire section. I'm pretty sure later games in the franchise that use sections like that hide the fact that they take control away from the player for short periods of time so that that sort of thing doesn't happen.

One of the many, many, many areas. I was never sure if this was an issue specific to the PC port, but it's really easy to clip through the floor once you get moving with any sort of speed.

The game handily mitigates this problem by shoving half the playtime into slower characters and minigames.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I'm massively nostalgic for the Sonic Adventure games, the music just has a charm to it that's not like much else

https://youtu.be/dWbSg0VOSgg
    https://youtu.be/UwS_1U0HZzU
    https://youtu.be/6KqVpbc9MFo
    https://youtu.be/dmNPVAgIQoc

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Any recommendations for non fighting games on the Saturn? I'd probably go the Japanese route for these too, so that might mean rpgs are out unless there is a good way to translate them?

I would highly recommend getting a Saturn that was set up to play non-retail discs, either via a PSK cart or an ODE, because there have been quite a few really solid translation projects for Saturn games that have been released lately. Some of these include:

Shining Force III - Shining Force III is actually a trilogy of games, and while all three were released in Japan, in the US we only got the first episode (with some edits to the storyline to make it more of a standalone game). It's a 3D SRPG that is generally considered one of the best games on the system.

Grandia - While this game did come to the US on the Playstation, the Saturn version has better texturing, a better framerate, and a number of other improvements.

Vandal Hearts - Another game that was released on the PS1 in the US, but the Saturn version (with some superior graphical and lighting effects) was only released in Japan.

CastleVania: Symphony of the Night - Again, released in the US on the PS1, but this version is mechanically worse on the Saturn. It was a rushed, sloppy port by a B-Team, so there are many instances of slowdown in areas where it didn't occur on the PS1 version. Why would anyone bother translating the game then, if the PS1 version runs so much better? Because the Saturn version has a number of interesting extras, the biggest being a playable Maria (that is different from the one that was in the unlockable SotN port in Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP), as well as two additional new areas (technically 4 if you count the reverse versions), the two extra familiars from the Japanese PS1 version, and some new items and relics (including a relic that lets Alucard run, and another that will let one of your familiars sing to you). There were also some qol changes - Alucard has a "third hand" that you can equip consumables in, so you don't have to unequip your weapon, equip a potion, use the potion, unequip the potion, then equip your weapon (you can just equip a potion in the third hand and then hit that button whenever you want), and you can choose which character to play as (Alucard, Richter, or Maria) from the beginning of the game. As a side benefit, doing Alucard's spell combos or Richter's special moves is a lot easier with the Saturn's much better D-pad. It's not the version I would recommend anyone use for their first playthrough of SotN, but it's definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the game and want to play it a little differently.

There are a few more (like Dragon Force II, Valhollian, and Policenauts), and more upcoming releases, but these are the bigger ones that have released lately.

As for other non-fighting games, it really depends on what other genres you're into. If it's 2D shooters, you'll be set from here until 20 minutes after the heat death of the universe. There are classic 2D sidescrollers like Metal Slug, Megaman X3/X4/8, Clockwork Knight and its sequel (you're a toy wind up knight who has to save his lady, very Toy Story-esque), Shinobi Legions, Astal (with its absolutely gorgeous spritework), and Keiyo Flying Squadron 2. There are beat 'em ups like Guardian Heroes, Die Hard Arcade, or ports of the old arcade Dungeons and Dragons games Shadow over Mystara and Tower of Doom. There are FPS games like Powerslave (a Metroid Prime style first person shooter where you unlock new abilities that let you return to levels you've already beaten to find new areas), Duke Nukem 3D, Alien Trilogy, or a surprisingly solid port of Quake. There are arcade racers like Sega Rally, Daytona USA, and Manx TT Superbike. There are a ton of classic ports in the Sega Ages line, like Outrun, Afterburner II, Space Harrier, Columns, and Castle of Illusion/Quackshot. On top of all that, you have all of the Sega exclusive stuff, like Panzer Dragoon and it's sequel (both 3D rail shooters) and Panzer Dragoon Saga (a 3D RPG), NiGHTs (a score attack game that was the first to make use of the Saturn's analog controller), Burning Rangers (you're a space fireman), Virtual On (a one on one mech combat game), and two more Shining Force games (one an action RPG, one a first person dungeon crawler). There are also other multiplats that are worth checking out like Mass Destruction (a top down tank based action game that runs at twice the framerate as the PS1 version), Resident Evil (with the original difficulty, an extra enemy type, different alternate costumes, and an exclusive battle mode), Tomb Raider (a worse framerate, but a longer draw distance and better water effects), and Mechwarrior II (better textures and skyboxes on the Saturn, at the cost of worse transparency effects).

Also, for some weird reason, there are like ten different pinball games on the Sega Saturn, so if you like pinball games you'll be well served.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    If you grabbed a Dreamcast then I'd recommend the NGPC as your next purchase. You can hook the two up for bonus stuff in a few games, using a fairly obscure little cable. I think I still have mine somewhere, along with the NGPC link cable.

This idea got reused for the Gamecube/GBA link, which also mainly links to Sega games.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Atleast get a VMU, they're pretty easy to come by and are a fun little thing

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I played so much of the Chao minigame. Power Stone also had a few good ones.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Oh wow, after almost 10 years are we finally ready for a new retro console thread?

Fun Fact: The year this thread started the Vita and Wii U were brand new and we had no idea what huge failures they would be. (I still love them both <3)

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The prices on stuff is bizarre right now. We got a set of Zelda 1 and 2 on Mercari last night for $50. Today I see someone on Facebook with them at $80 each! I understand the market is hot, but at some point things are going to crash back down I'd think.

And yes, I got two VMUs in the bundle. If we have those, I don't have a reason to buy normal memory cards do I?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    The prices on stuff is bizarre right now. We got a set of Zelda 1 and 2 on Mercari last night for $50. Today I see someone on Facebook with them at $80 each! I understand the market is hot, but at some point things are going to crash back down I'd think.

And yes, I got two VMUs in the bundle. If we have those, I don't have a reason to buy normal memory cards do I?

Not really, no; there were expanded multi-page memory cards like you'd sometimes see for the PS1, but the usual caveats regarding reliability still applied. VMUs are fine as memory cards, and it's always more fun to have that little screen visible on your controller too.

The only real issue with VMUs is how fast they'd chew through CR2032 batteries if you used them on their own. If you don't do that (or don't do it much), not a problem, and even if the batteries do die your saves will still be intact.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Just be prepared for the loud beeping noise that a VMU with a dead battery will make when you fire up the console.

Four controllers with 2 VMUs each sounds like the wails of the damned. It is a cacophony of despair.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Oh wow, after almost 10 years are we finally ready for a new retro console thread?

Fun Fact: The year this thread started the Vita and Wii U were brand new and we had no idea what huge failures they would be. (I still love them both <3)

I still wish I had a vita because it seems like a comfortable way to play games handheld, and has a couple games only released on it. Unfortunately due to my current economic situation, i can't justify spending as much on it as a Switch. Especially if it's going to be used and I'd have to get a memory card for it.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

I still wish I had a vita because it seems like a comfortable way to play games handheld, and has a couple games only released on it. Unfortunately due to my current economic situation, i can't justify spending as much on it as a Switch. Especially if it's going to be used and I'd have to get a memory card for it.

The vita is a great handheld, but yeah the memory situation sucks and in large part killed the system.

Does anyone know if there is a better way yet for storage for that system?

• Options
    Alright - so order some CR2032 batteries - check. Thanks!

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

The vita is a great handheld, but yeah the memory situation sucks and in large part killed the system.

sd2vita allows you to use any flash card.

• Options
    Alright - so order some CR2032 batteries - check. Thanks!

VMUs will still save games when their batteries are dead, but when they aren't they have some cool features. Some games can save little minigames to the VMU, but the coolest feature I think is the ability to directly transfer files between two VMUs without needing a console.

Back when I was in highschool my friends and I would build parks in the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 create a park mode, then save them to our VMUs, then take them to school and trade them with each other. It was so rad. It felt like the future.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

Does the vita also have the same battery problem as the psp or did they make it with a more accessible battery pack?

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Is that the one with the level where Sonic is running down a dock while a killer whale smashes through it? I thought that was pretty awesome as a kid. Actually who am I kidding? I still think it's awesome.

It is. It's a really amazing setpiece, but it's also one of the areas where it's really easy to fall through the level geometry because you still have control of Sonic through the entire section. I'm pretty sure later games in the franchise that use sections like that hide the fact that they take control away from the player for short periods of time so that that sort of thing doesn't happen.

One of the many, many, many areas. I was never sure if this was an issue specific to the PC port, but it's really easy to clip through the floor once you get moving with any sort of speed.

The game handily mitigates this problem by shoving half the playtime into slower characters and minigames.

Funny you should bring this up, as I just happened to be watching this earlier:

https://youtu.be/SORYL5J1Heg

Dreamcast seems to be the best in many regards, with the GameCube version a step down from that, and the PC version a further step down.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Does the vita also have the same battery problem as the psp or did they make it with a more accessible battery pack?

Good question. I've never messed around with the vita battery, so I'm not sure how accessible it is.

anoffday on
  • Options

Good question. I've never messed around with the vita battery, so I'm not sure how accessible it is.

Youtube "Vita battery replacement."

• Options
    I thought there was no way I was going to watch a half hour video on lighting changes in Sonic Adventure. Then I did. It was truly fascinating to see all the corners cut.

I know I played it on the Dreamcast at one point but I definitely played it more on the Cube port. Now I want to give it another go.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    fwiw there is a huge modular mod pack installer for the PC version of SA that makes it more like the DC version.

august on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Hit the used game shop yesterday. The boy picked up an N64 Transfer pack, UMK3 SNES (the last SNES MK game he didn't have), Punch Out NES, Kirby's Avalanche SNES and Secret of Mana.

Also I just ordered a copy of Shaq Fu on the Genesis for my son's birthday. I'm a good parent, right?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    We probably need to make a new thread here if anyone is up for it. It doesn't look like harvest has been active for a couple years.

• Options
    I can do something later today unless someone else is already working on it.

In the meantime, look what arrived at my house today thanks to @SmokeStacks ! Apparently it has a speaker that doesn't work but otherwise it's really nice looking and he threw in a sleeve and Tekken to boot!

Thanks again SmokeStacks!

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

In the meantime, look what arrived at my house today thanks to SmokeStacks ! Apparently it has a speaker that doesn't work but otherwise it's really nice looking and he threw in a sleeve and Tekken to boot!

Is the photo Instagram? I don't see anything here.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »

In the meantime, look what arrived at my house today thanks to SmokeStacks ! Apparently it has a speaker that doesn't work but otherwise it's really nice looking and he threw in a sleeve and Tekken to boot!

Is the photo Instagram? I don't see anything here.

Nope. I just totally forgot to attach it!
    ltfz8nx9y5re.jpg

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Wow this thread has been around for 9 whole years.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    TSR was banned?

geez I really don't pay attention =p

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Xaquin wrote: »
    TSR was banned?

geez I really don't pay attention =p

I knew the moment I checked the OP that someone would bring that up.

Yes I believe he was banned for losing his mind in a VR thread IIRC.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    I started a new thread. Let's see if it can last another 9 years or so.

• Options
    Neo Geo version of Xeno Crisis coming out soon, ROM will be available for purchase sometime after all physical copies are shipped:

https://youtu.be/E2j7KC_AtJg

• Options