As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HULK SMASH PUNY BOX OFFICE RECORDS!

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Also
    Apparently he's called "The Other" in the credits.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I can't find a single picture of the character.

Frustrating.
    h37iY.jpg

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R3VLuPJoAQ

this becomes so much better after the bro-tastic Avengers

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Also
    m0hrh.jpg
    statue_artasylum_deathcapmarvel.jpg

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Also
    m0hrh.jpg
    statue_artasylum_deathcapmarvel.jpg
    KT2PD.jpg

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Heh. Not movie spoilers.
    7140921527_0fc7873a20_b.jpg
    7135518635_a6320ae76f.jpg
    6996547944_80b5c355b9.jpg

Lalabox on
  • Options
    More supporting stuff
    loki's entire fall into space, being gifted with power but held accountable by "The Other" in return for an artifact that promises greater worlds, tots smells of Loki fell and made a deal with Death, then Death using Thanos for the staff (cosmic control rod) and the Chitauri.

• Options
    Holy fuck. Flickr is very inconvenient.

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Holy fuck. Flickr is very inconvenient.

That mjolnir looks like a Marvel branded Jenga game.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    wait wait wait shwarma is just kebabs?

i had it in south africa and it wasn't quite kebabs but maybe it's different in south africa

is shwarma as ubiquitous in america as kebabs are here? i guess it must not be

• Options
    Shwarma always seemed to be a bit of a kebab-y type thing. Granted I only even encountered it in senegal. And the place where we ate it... well, if you've ever been in some really rural area, and seen some sort 'Chinese Food' restaurant, then this was kind of like the senegalese take on american fast food. Just kinda wierd. I've never really encountered the word otherwise.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    More supporting stuff
    loki's entire fall into space, being gifted with power but held accountable by "The Other" in return for an artifact that promises greater worlds, tots smells of Loki fell and made a deal with Death, then Death using Thanos for the staff (cosmic control rod) and the Chitauri.
    The comics/cartoon may have had Thanos controlling an aspect of Death, but personally I don't think the films would have Death being so servile towards him

Plus The Other being an incarnation of Death seems to detract from Thanos's glee at the whole "courting Death" statement

And correct me if I'm wrong but in some interpretations the Marvel Death is a cosmic entity with a whole lot of knowledge re: every society's history (because people die, and Death is aware of that) whereas The Other seemed pretty damn clueless about the nature of humans, finding them alien and unexpected

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    wait wait wait shwarma is just kebabs?

i had it in south africa and it wasn't quite kebabs but maybe it's different in south africa

is shwarma as ubiquitous in america as kebabs are here? i guess it must not be

shwarma is basically a tastier version of doner kebab

edit: well maybe "tastier" isn't the right word

it's made from different meats and usually eaten differently (in a lafa instead of a pita)

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, where I had it it wasn't shaved meat, but something else. I dunno, I didn't question it much. However, I wouldn't think that the same sorts of standards for shwarmas carry from where I had it to the typical new york place.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Wikipedia says its spelt shawarma, also explains what it is.
    (Arabic: شاورما‎) is a popular Levantine Arab[1][2] meat preparation, where lamb, goat, chicken, turkey, beef, or mixed meats are placed on a spit (commonly a vertical spit in restaurants), and may be grilled for as long as a day. Shavings are cut off the block of meat for serving, and the remainder of the block of meat is kept heated on the rotating spit. Although it can be served in shavings on a plate (generally with accompaniments), "shawarma" also refers to a pita bread sandwich or wrap made with shawarma meat. Shawarma is eaten with tabbouleh, fattoush, taboon bread, tomato, and cucumber. Toppings include tahini, hummus, pickled turnips and amba. Shawarma is a fast-food staple across the Middle East, Europe and the Caucasus.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    The only good thing about the UK title is that entering "Avengers Assemble" into Wikipedia immediately takes you to the movie without needing to go through a disambiguation page

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    amba is spicy mango sauce, and the best goddamn thing to add to shawarma

mind you don't slather it on, that stuff is p. strong

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    The only good thing about the UK title is that entering "Avengers Assemble" into Wikipedia immediately takes you to the movie without needing to go through a disambiguation page

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bus_That_Couldn%27t_Slow_Down

• Options
    If I didn't live in a town where that kind of thing would never be, I'd totally be down with trying some.

• Options
    Wikipedia says its spelt shawarma, also explains what it is.
    (Arabic: شاورما‎) is a popular Levantine Arab[1][2] meat preparation, where lamb, goat, chicken, turkey, beef, or mixed meats are placed on a spit (commonly a vertical spit in restaurants), and may be grilled for as long as a day. Shavings are cut off the block of meat for serving, and the remainder of the block of meat is kept heated on the rotating spit. Although it can be served in shavings on a plate (generally with accompaniments), "shawarma" also refers to a pita bread sandwich or wrap made with shawarma meat. Shawarma is eaten with tabbouleh, fattoush, taboon bread, tomato, and cucumber. Toppings include tahini, hummus, pickled turnips and amba. Shawarma is a fast-food staple across the Middle East, Europe and the Caucasus.

Ah 'kay. So basically a kebab. MYSTERY SOLVED.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Lot of talk about why superheroes tend not to kill, and not one of you hit the real reason?

They want to use those villains again. There are in-universe explanations to justify it, but those are secondary to not wanting to lose all the memorable villains and have to come up with all new ones.

• Options
    I've actually heard more people calling it a gyro than a kebab

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Lot of talk about why superheroes tend not to kill, and not one of you hit the real reason?

They want to use those villains again. There are in-universe explanations to justify it, but those are secondary to not wanting to lose all the memorable villains and have to come up with all new ones.

Which drives me a bit nuts when superhero movies kill off the villians. The old batman movies were really atrocious about that. Same with iron man 1 and 2.

• Options
    From what I remember, gyros are more ingredients stuffed into a pita bread roll, whereas kebabs (and this I have a lot of experience with) are in a wrap.

But shawarma isn't a word used in aus, and I'm reasonably sure that it isn't used so much in the uk.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Which drives me a bit nuts when superhero movies kill off the villians. The old batman movies were really atrocious about that. Same with iron man 1 and 2.

To be fair, I don't think the old Batman movies expected to keep going long enough for it to matter. And they were right!

• Options
    I've only heard the word "kebab" used locally to describe shishkebabs, never gyros or shawarmas

language sure is strange, huh

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Yeah. I got hella confused by fast food when I was travelling around.

• Options
  • Options
    kebabs are goddamn incredible

i couldn't find a decent one in america for love nor money

obviously i should've been asking for gyros or shwarmas?

• Options
    Fucking hell I just need a kebab right now.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    The story may have been relatively simple, but it's still a story!

Also, would a person with gravity powers be able to lift Mjolnir?

Technically, yes!

In "Thor and the Warriors 4", which is admittedly an alternate universe, a version of Alex Power is deemed worthy of Mjolnir.

Which means he's probably killed some dudes off panel some time. Everybody knows you got to be willing to kill dudes to wield Mjolnir. It's why Superman could only lift it once in an emergency.

(Also, in Marvel Vs. DC, Wonder Woman lifted it, but nothing came of it because voters went with Storm in a fight, narrowly beating Lobo V. Wolverine as the most bullshit match on the fight card.)

...What?

Riiight. Not everyone's read the Simonson interview stuff on his reasoning for Beta Ray Bill.

Basically, Worthy doesn't just mean "good" or "heroic". Means that on top, of course, but this is the hammer of a Norse god, and those guys? All about the wrecking of faces. You have to be honest and forthright and all that. Sure. But also you need to be the kind of guy who'd get into Valhalla. Warrior's death.

Simonson didn't think Cap would qualify when writing the issue since Cap's flying the American flag. Meaning he'd be working for someone who isn't Odin and Asgard and publicizing it. Interesting enough, Cap first lifted the hammer when he was just The Captain. So no flag, no America, main problem gone.

I don't know that I like either of these ideas
    I think "worthy" should mean a lot of things and shouldn't necessarily restrict people who don't kill and people who are not specifically sworn to Asgard

Worthy warrior is the key phrase. Vikings kill people. To be worthy of the hammer, you have to be a warrior, not a protector. The hammer is a killing weapon. That's the whole point.

It's why cap is worthy, and superman shouldn't be.

(I use superman as an example because he has wielded the hammer, and simonson thought it was a bad call. It still made a great image, though. )

But "worthy warrior" isn't the phrase
    The phrase is just "if he be worthy"

I recognize what Simonson wanted to do with that framework but the actual wording of the enchantment leaves a lot of open ends and thus I don't like the way he has characterized it

Well I mean, you need to take into account the culture the enchantment was made in, that's why I was talking about worthy warriors, because that's what the enchantment means.

It doesn't mean "if you want to pick up this hammer to do some light gardening"

Norse culture revolves around heroic deeds, it's a warrior ethos. They think that killing your enemies is a virtue. So, I don't see a way around that, seeing as how their gods made the magic hammer. It's a killing weapon, and to be a worthy norse warrior is to be willing to kill your enemy.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I saw the movie last night and now I gotta go to work so I hope one of my co-workers saw it.

I wanna talk about The Avengers!
    You guys sure are talking a lot about the after-after credits scene. :P

• Options
    I can see an argument being made for either interpretation. Although I wouldn't want to draw too many parallels between what the real Norse got up to and the values of the dimension-hopping Asgardians that they worshipped as gods in the comic

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    any reasoning that suggests superman can't lift thor's hammer is not reasoning i have any truck with

'worthy' is here defined as 'that quality which thor, captain america, superman, beta ray bill and random paramedic x have in common'

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    shwarma is actually big in canada, if jesus christ vampire hunter is to be trusted

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    It could be big everywhere, if people were just more open to giant spinning columns of meat that provide absolute bliss.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I'd kill for a kebab right about now

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef

Tef

I am seriously considering getting out of bed, getting dressed, leaving the house and buying a lamb with BBQ sauce kebab.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Grab us a doner with garlic sauce while you're there?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Oh man for less than $20 I could ge two diner kebabs fully loaded with some chips at a nearby place here.

Oh god no stomach stop driving this malleable hull that is my body.

This discussion has been closed.